PDA

View Full Version : Aye, the snow!

LTT
01-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Well we got dumped on pretty harshly last night, so I snapped a few pics today. Observe the phenomenon know as "Canadian Winter":

LTT
01-17-2005, 10:31 AM
3 more (The good lookin guy in the last pic is yours truly :cool: ):

illusionest
01-17-2005, 10:33 AM
yahhhhh!!!!!
GO CANADA!
w00t! nice pics!

lol stratos u sure u wanna come to Canada?

baddabang
01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Wow!! Its like lake effect stuff. Happy Shoveling :P

Sweeney921
01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
good god that's awesome

Fumacher
01-17-2005, 10:40 AM
lol.......a lot of snow huh :P

NoOne
01-17-2005, 10:43 AM
We've been lucky here in southern Ontario, only had to break out the shovel 3 times so far this winter.

My brother-in-law lives in N.S. I should call him up and see how he's making out :D, and my sister is here visiting from New Brunswick, supposedly they're having a lot of snowfall too.

LTT
01-17-2005, 10:56 AM
We've been lucky here in southern Ontario, only had to break out the shovel 3 times so far this winter.

My brother-in-law lives in N.S. I should call him up and see how he's making out :D, and my sister is here visiting from New Brunswick, supposedly they're having a lot of snowfall too.

Where is NS? I think the mainland got hit even worse then we did, if thats possible.

NoOne
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
He lives in Berwick, about 30 mins from CFB Greenwood

6'bore
01-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Happy digging. ;) :p

LTT
01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Damnit...that should say in :rolleyes: My bad.

clutch-monkey
01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
holy crap! i wish i had snow....
how do you get to work etc?

blackcat77
01-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Better a foot of snow than an inch of ice, which is what we got back on January 3rd. Our power was out for 36 hours, but some people didn't get their power back for a week.

QuattroMan
01-17-2005, 06:51 PM

well it works like this in CALIFORNIA we sick days and in CANADA they have snow days, :D

Egg Nog
01-17-2005, 06:53 PM
well it works like this in CALIFORNIA we sick days and in CANADA they have snow days, :D

It's too bad they don't give us "rain days" in Vancouver :)

The snow didn't get a chance to last very long!

LTT
01-17-2005, 08:06 PM

You don't. All schools, universities, and collages were closed province wide. And pretty much all business were closed today, for the morning at least.

NoOne
01-18-2005, 07:01 AM
No snow, but frigid as hell ;) .... -23 and -34 factoring in the windchill, thats -9.5 and -29 Fahrenheit for you stateside non-metric guys. :D

01-18-2005, 12:29 PM
It looked like that in calgary a few days ago

Matra et Alpine
01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
We got 2 inches last night and the country almost came to a standstill !!

ME ? I got as many of the cars as I could out and round to the industrial estate and some of the roads I know and got in some "practise". We're hoping it's still here at the weekend and maybe try to get on track with soem seriosu M+S tyres on the cars. We don't get to practise on snow enough and a few are thinking of doing next years Classic Monte. Driver's away over to recce this year :)

LTT
01-18-2005, 06:49 PM
2 inches and you got people "out"? We get 40 cm and people still survive. It shuts us down for about half a day.

Egg Nog
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
2 inches and you got people "out"? We get 40 cm and people still survive. It shuts us down for about half a day.

We Canadians are much more hardcore as far as weather goes. Many people just don't get it - they think that -3 is the most ridiculous thing ever :)

NoOne - good call on pointing out the temperature in both systems. It's really a shame that the USA (and the UK, to a lesser extent) won't make the full change to metric, for everybody's sake. Not trying to single anyone out, it's just logical.

Renesis
01-18-2005, 07:36 PM
today it was some 2 degrees with the windchill outside boston.
may not seem cold to the canucks, but i had a laugh because of it:
i went to work today (i work at an indoor pool) and there was the refrigerator effect: snow condensed onto the windows and the metal fittings. It looked all christmassy and pretty. Unfortunately it was also cold as ass

Rockefella
01-18-2005, 07:44 PM
We Canadians are much more hardcore as far as weather goes. Many people just don't get it - they think that -3 is the most ridiculous thing ever :)

NoOne - good call on pointing out the temperature in both systems. It's really a shame that the USA (and the UK, to a lesser extent) won't make the full change to metric, for everybody's sake. Not trying to single anyone out, it's just logical.
The problem with changing now is that all the machinery, measurement instruments, school lessons, and having to learn the metric system would cause problems, expensive problems.

Spastik_Roach
01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Its been done before......... back waay when it was implemented in NZ...

Matra et Alpine
01-19-2005, 07:10 AM
The problem with changing now is that all the machinery, measurement instruments, school lessons, and having to learn the metric system would cause problems, expensive problems.
It's not major, I switch from one to other no problem.
My kids always just give me a "huh?" any time I mention inches, etc.
The one that's stayed is miles and the reason I've heard given is that it woudl be a huge expense to change all the road signs and road markins, so they stay miles and mph for a while.
The only reason I can think I said inches with the snow is it's been sooooo long since we had any decent snowfall here it was all inches back then :(
Re. learning the metric is it's infinitely easier than the imperial. Again, kids don't have to learn 12 14 and 16 times tables :)
None of the lessons in our schools have been imperial for at least 10 years !!
I'm jsut the old fart on the block who still pays in Guineas and measures dsitance in my car in furlongs :)

Rockefella
01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
It's not major, I switch from one to other no problem.
My kids always just give me a "huh?" any time I mention inches, etc.
The one that's stayed is miles and the reason I've heard given is that it woudl be a huge expense to change all the road signs and road markins, so they stay miles and mph for a while.
The only reason I can think I said inches with the snow is it's been sooooo long since we had any decent snowfall here it was all inches back then :(
Re. learning the metric is it's infinitely easier than the imperial. Again, kids don't have to learn 12 14 and 16 times tables :)
None of the lessons in our schools have been imperial for at least 10 years !!
I'm jsut the old fart on the block who still pays in Guineas and measures dsitance in my car in furlongs :)
That's true, it's just the cost that makes it tough. I'd be the first one to jump on the 'Change to Metric' bandwagon. My metric might actually be the same or better than my knowledge of imperial. :)