PDA

View Full Version : Hey New Zealanders

sandwich
01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Paging all New Zealanders:
How do you like living there? What's the weather like? How long does it take to get from one end to the other? What are gas prices like? What kind of cars do you get? What is the best thing about new zealand?

I'm thinking about emmigrating, that's why.

Thanks!

IBrake4Rainbows
01-19-2005, 06:49 PM
It all depends where you move really.

I used to live in Wellington, the capital city, the climate was mild (12 Degrees C in winter, 22 in Summer) but Wellington was a very windy place. People are very nice, attitudes and culture are great, and with wellington, the whole CBD is compressed into about 1 1/2 Square Kilometres.

Auckland is the biggest city in New Zealand, of about 1 million people. Lovely place, great harbour focus, and the buldings are great. A good place to holiday, but i'm not sure about living there, the housing prices are ridiculous........

Palmerston north (The biggest city closest to Spastik Roachs little hamlet of Fielding) is about 80,000 strong. Good country place.

Thats most of the north Island, you've got many other areas to explore there.

The south island is a lot colder, but the people are just as nice, the scenery is just breathtaking most times (The Lord Of The Rings doesn't do it Justice) and a healthy interest in extreme sports and a good community atmosphere.

Christchurch, Invercargil, Queenstown and other cities and towns are great places to explore.

Coming from america, your exchange rate for money would be fantastic. 1 Kiwi Dollar buys about 65 Us Cents, but a Us dollar buys about 1.35 Kiwi. also, australia is really close by, so if you need to return to reality slightly, we're always near by! :P.

I'd seriously consider doing it, going to NZ for two years was one of the best things my parents could have done for me, i want to go back.

Sweeney921
01-19-2005, 07:48 PM
haha when you said 12 degrees winter and 22 degrees summer, i thought u were talking in fahrenheit. Then I realized celcius existed :p

fpv_gtho
01-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes we use metric down here :p

motorsportnerd
01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Auckland is the biggest city in New Zealand, of about 1 million people. Lovely place, great harbour focus, and the buldings are great. A good place to holiday, but i'm not sure about living there, the housing prices are ridiculous........

You obviously don't live in Sydney. Average house prices in Auckland are half that of Sydney.

To answer your questions Sandwich - Auckland is a nice place to live. I used to live there. That's where you'll find the most jobs and the average income of Aucklanders is higher than the rest of the country. If you want to live in a large, cosmopolitan city, Auckland is the one in New Zealand. With a population of 1.3 million, Auckland is more than 3 times larger than any other city in NZ.
All the other cities (Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin) are just large country towns in comparison.

Back in 1995 I drove a lap of NZ. Starting in Auckland, I drove to Wellington, than down the west coast of the South Island and back up the east coast. Total distance from Auckland to the Bluff and back was 5000km. That will give you some idea of the size of the country. It is small (the total area is a bit larger than Great Britain), but it has some great drivers roads. Just don't expect freeways. Outside the cities they're non existent.

As for cars - you'll be in paradise. NZ has long accepted second-hand Japanese imports - which means you can buy any type of Japanese car you can think of (Supras, Skylines, Evos, Imprezas, GTOs, etc). NZ also has a zero tarriff policy on new cars and the only safety standards are minimum ones. As a result, most of the world's manufacturers sell new cars in NZ. NZ is one of the few places outside the UK where you can buy new TVRs or Nobles - because the manufacturers do not have to spend big dollars to meet specific environmental or safety standards for the NZ market.
Also, you get all the big Aussies - Holdens and Fords.
Check out www.autopoint.co.nz for an idea of prices. There's new car prices on that site, plus used cars for sale. Not as cheap as the US I don't think, but cheaper than Europe or Australia.
Petrol was NZ$1.25 a litre last time I was there (last September), which is more expensive than the US or Australia, but cheaper than Europe.

Also, be prepared to be assaulted by the religion of rugby. The NZ national team - the All Blacks - has a status very close to that of God. The players themselves are treated like royalty. The game is very serious business in NZ - basically rugby is the religion of NZ.

My summary of NZ? I'm biased - I was born there. It's a great place to live if you're after a relaxing lifestyle and not too worried about career ladders. Or if you're raising children. The cost of living is cheap, the weather's not too bad, you're never more than a hour's drive from most beaches, and most NZers are friendly folk.
But, if you want a decent income, don't consider NZ - or alteratively run your own business. Wages are that high in comparison to Australia. Which is why I live in Australia and not NZ. I'll return there eventually to live, but for now, the opportunites in Australia are better than those in NZ.

sandwich
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
well, coming from here in the US, I'm not overly concerned with making major bucks...I'd just like to set aside some money for grad school, and then on to teach, when (if?) i earn my phd. Something different is a huge start.

The thing that appeals to me about NZ is that it is small...and while not "underdeveloped", it's not overcrowded....follow me? Like smart people, good culture, but everybody isn't entirely living on top of each other...
The place I was actually looking at is in Lower Hutt, (IRL Biotech) which is on the south of the North Island (I think?). And I think I'm all set with major cities...I live in boston, which has its allure, but it has run out on me. Maybe that's just Boston, but I wouldn't mind living out in the country. Set me up with a mountain bike, skis, and an Evo or Delta (do you have those?), and I will be a happy man. I was thinking about just severing all my connections and going out on my own (less my parents). NZ might be it...plus I don't have to learn another language...besides that of Rugby and "footy".

whiteballz
01-19-2005, 10:13 PM
rugby IS the sport of gods to NZ's.

pitty they get their arses handed to them almost every time they play AUSTRALIA!!!!

*ducks*

holdens
01-19-2005, 11:45 PM
hahahah yeah its a good idea to duck there well all australians like to think that but its pretty even spread untill the world cups come along when new zealand choke 90 perscent of the time...

*also ducks*

Spastik_Roach
01-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Ok time for same PATRIOISM! :D

New zealand kicks ass. Weather depends on where you are. South Island, you can expect snow in the winter. North island snow is alot rarer. We had snow in Feilding about 2 years ago, (I live in the North Island) and it was the first time in about 40 years apparently.

I love living here. Its peaceful, very little crime (in my town at least, but no places are really packed with crims except the gangster areas), cheap housing in most places bar Auckland. Avoid Auckland. Shitloads of traffic jams, exspensive housing, generally not what New Zealand is all about.

1 end to another.....hmmmmn..thats from Gore to the Cape... that'd be approx 2000kms I think...not sure.

Gas prices are not as bad as Europe but worser than America I believe. Its about $1.15nz a litre right now I think.

Main cars here are SHITLOADS of Japanese Imports (You see at least 2 Skylines a day here...) and Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores...

Best thing about New Zealand is that its such a beautiful and easy place to live IMO... No idiotic goverment (No idiots in goverment since the Muldoon days of the 70's).

I'll be more than happy to answe anymore questions sandwich..

fa22_raptor
01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
All New Zealanders are sheep-shaggers :D :D

*also ducks*

Seriously though, in New Zealand, aren't there more sheep than people??! :eek:

@wall
01-20-2005, 12:28 AM
You obviously don't live in Sydney

not the brightest crayon in the box today are we :p :p j/k

@wall
01-20-2005, 12:32 AM
All New Zealanders are sheep-shaggers :D :D

*also ducks*

Seriously though, in New Zealand, aren't there more sheep than people??! :eek:

supposedly it's a ratio of 3 sheep per person. we can't talk though, there are heaps more kangaroos than people in australia...

Michelotto
01-20-2005, 12:47 AM
actually its a ratio of about 10 sheep to every person. its a pretty rediculous number, but our economy is pretty much based aroung agriculture, which is unusual for developed countries, but oh well. I personally love living in New Zealand, not that i actually really have anything to compare it too. But hey, i dont think New Zealand has been threatened by al qaeda yet. not that we have an airforce to protect ourselves anyway.

fa22_raptor
01-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Hahaha... one day I hope to go to New Zealand. I think it'd be mildly amusing to see the beautiful coutryside blotted with little white blobs. :D

Yeah, we do have a helluva lot of kangaroos. I used to own a farm near the airport and we always had kangaroos coming in and out of our property. We also have EVEN MORE rabbits. The amount of rabbits in 1 sq. km is probably more than the entire population of sheep in New Zealand!! :eek: (If you couldn't tell, I wasn't being serious for all those who can't detect internet sarcasm).

Spastik_Roach
01-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Wages are fine as long as you got a good career path and a nice employer :)

Lower Hutt is right down the bottom of the North Island, and is close to Wellington. I've only been there a bit but its a nice place. Its about an hour from me :)

Blue Supra
01-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Try Australia 1st. New Zealand is like Australia's 2nd cousin thats suffering from an intelluctual disability. Bigger, Better, Stronger and not afraid to speak their mind:)

*swings*;)

Spastik_Roach
01-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Australia sucks compared to NZ. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too hot and property costs are very high.

Spastik_Roach
01-20-2005, 01:45 AM
BTW i've only ever seen one Lancia Delta Integrale (You were talking bout those right) here and it was LHD. But there are literally hundreds of thousands of Jap imported Evo's :)

fpv_gtho
01-20-2005, 04:46 AM
hahahah yeah its a good idea to duck there well all australians like to think that but its pretty even spread untill the world cups come along when new zealand choke 90 perscent of the time...

*also ducks*

Imagine if there wasnt more people interested in AFL and NRL and they got into the Super12

motorsportnerd
01-21-2005, 05:29 AM
not the brightest crayon in the box today are we :p :p j/k

Nah mate - I was being ironic :rolleyes: :p . Should have put these smilies in last post.
Just pointing out that anyone who thinks Auckland house prices are expensive should check the house prices in Sydney - they're double the price of Auckland - as you'd know living in Sydney.

sandwich
01-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Any idea on the monthly cost to rent a one bedroom apartment? The only thing i could find in lower hutt was $450 a month. If you've got some free time, can you get an average for a few areas?

By comparison, I pay $650 (US) for one bedroom in a Quad...in the ghetto. Boston is probably as bad as anything out there.

SlickHolden
01-21-2005, 06:29 PM
New house and land package in Victoria is about $130,000:D
My mums rent is $430 month On a new 2 bedroom unit.
Petrol last time i got it was 0.94c Leaded.

Spastik_Roach
01-21-2005, 08:26 PM
http://www2.stats.govt.nz/domino/external/pasfull/pasfull.nsf/web/Brochure+Lower+Hutt+City+Census+2001+Area+data?ope n

Some Census stats on Lower Hutt :)

IBrake4Rainbows
01-23-2005, 02:37 PM
You could live anywhere in the Wellington/Lower Hutt Region, and catch a bus or drive a car to work with absolute ease. Island Bay, my Previous Address, was 3 Km to the City, Lower Hutt has it's own city, and you could live anywhere from Karori Park to Tawa and still be able to bike to work, let alone bus.