PDA

View Full Version : First car for under 40k AUD?

fa22_raptor
01-24-2005, 07:42 AM
I'm looking at buying a car at the end of this year. Basically, my budget is AUD $40000 (about US $30800) from what I'm going to put in and what my dad's going to put in. I want something that's moderately fast, good-looking and something that's not not overly old. I'm looking at a 2002 Honda Integra Type-R (Basically an Australian/Japanese RSX) which is around the $33000 mark. What other cars around this price can I get which would be a good, moderately fast first car? I'm not planning to buy any aftermarket parts either performance-based or ricer-based by the way :D.

(And yes I know, I'm a lucky bastard having this budget for a first car :D :D )

(edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm totally serious about this and am DEFINTELY going to buy a car at the end of the year which without other suggestions is going to be an '02 Integra Type-R. Please suggest seriously as I'm genuine.)

shockwaveracing
01-24-2005, 08:02 AM
you should be able to be pick up an '02 or '03 bA XR6T for between 35K and 40K...

fa22_raptor
01-24-2005, 08:05 AM
you should be able to be pick up an '02 or '03 bA XR6T for between 35K and 40K...
Yeah! That would be alright! But then again, an XR6T's a bit too big for me. I don't have a family yet and I want something a bit smaller. Good suggestion though, it's certainly powerful enough! :D

shockwaveracing
01-24-2005, 08:06 AM
just go into carsales.com.au, and select "dealer used cars", then "ford", then "falcon", thenmake the keyword xr6 turbo, search in victoria, state wide and you should find a couple...

adamfraser
01-26-2005, 02:05 PM
what about a holden monaro 5.7l V8?

Spastik_Roach
01-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Mitsubishi Galant VR4? Probably hell to insure and i'm not sure about the supply of em in Aussie.

I reckon a nice car would be a VW Golf VR6 or something.

adamfraser
01-26-2005, 02:53 PM
soz thats $60k! (The Monaro)

whiteballz
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
you could get a BEAUTIFUL used spotless subaru wrx or GT liberty for that price.

and you are a lucky prick having that much money!!!!

good luck with the car.

2ndclasscitizen
01-27-2005, 07:54 PM
EVO IIIs go for about $30000, maybe a bit less and they're a rocket

SMterminator
01-27-2005, 11:18 PM
I think a Astra turbo would be good for a first car, get a kit, decent spoiler and a new mufler.

staryknight
01-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Your in a similar situation to me, for 40k you can get a 1999 RX-7 imported from japan, id say alot faster than Type R but depends on what you like, im also considering the Type R, but id end up ricing it up abit, lol not crazy but just abit for the speed.

fa22_raptor
01-27-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't really want something that's going to hurt me insurance-wise. I think an RX-7, WRX or something would be pretty bad in that regard. Does anyone know the relative premiums for the cars in this price range? Thanks a lot guys.

(BTW, I don't need something incredibly fast like a modified RX-7, just something with enough power to keep me happy :) )

staryknight
01-28-2005, 12:06 AM
alrite, in that case i think Type R is the way to go, although notable options would be S15 or WRX which are both faster without any mods. S15 and Type R look the best though. I havent really enquired much about insurance premiums yet.

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't really want something that's going to hurt me insurance-wise. I think an RX-7, WRX or something would be pretty bad in that regard. Does anyone know the relative premiums for the cars in this price range? Thanks a lot guys.

(BTW, I don't need something incredibly fast like a modified RX-7, just something with enough power to keep me happy :) )

you are in exactly the same position i'm in. i can't get insurance on a wrx, can't quite afford an '05 integra type S, rx-7 too fast.
now i'm buying a 2000 integra type R because its cheaper and actually better than the '02-'04 models. in a year or so when the '05 model drops in price then i'll get it.

Spastik_Roach
01-28-2005, 01:27 AM
EVO IIIs go for about $30000, maybe a bit less and they're a rocket

EVOIII's are 30 grand in Aussie?!! WTF? Here they're less than half that!

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 05:17 AM
you are in exactly the same position i'm in. i can't get insurance on a wrx, can't quite afford an '05 integra type S, rx-7 too fast.
now i'm buying a 2000 integra type R because its cheaper and actually better than the '02-'04 models. in a year or so when the '05 model drops in price then i'll get it.
Ahh cool. When I get my '02-'04 Type R next year, we'll see which one's better :D JK. Yeah, I'm pretty settled- I'm going to stick with the '02 Type R. Hopefully, next year they'll be even cheaper.

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 05:17 AM
In my initial post, I said I didn't want a car that's overly old. IMO, the Evo III is exactly that. :) I think the insurance on an Evo would be hell as well.

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 05:21 AM
In my initial post, I said I didn't want a car that's overly old. IMO, the Evo III is exactly that. :) I think the insurance on an Evo would be hell as well.

i would think that because its so similar in performance to a subaru that it would be under the same policy - but i don't know how insurance companies think. it may be that they don't insure subaru's because they have a certain image on the street or something.

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 05:25 AM
i would think that because its so similar in performance to a subaru that it would be under the same policy - but i don't know how insurance companies think. it may be that they don't insure subaru's because they have a certain image on the street or something.
I think they especially hate WRXs because WRX drivers have been stereotyped as road-racing hoons. I guess I can't argue with that though - there ARE a lot of WRX crashes, often as a result of excessive speed. :)

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Ahh cool. When I get my '02-'04 Type R next year, we'll see which one's better :D JK. Yeah, I'm pretty settled- I'm going to stick with the '02 Type R. Hopefully, next year they'll be even cheaper.

the '02 model type R isn't actually a type R :mad: its just a standard model with few engine bits from the jap-spec type R (but still gets 150kw :) ). you can tune it yourself up to the jap spec type R but the steering will still be mediocre. the '05 model type S has improved the steering and suspension as well as getting more jap-spec engine parts (plus the interior from the '04 luxury model).
the '00 model is actually faster than/equivalent to the '02 model i think as well as having excellent handling, so i'm content to own one until the '05 model drops its price. anyway, when u get yours tell me all! i want to know everything thats good about it etc

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 05:31 AM
the '02 model type R isn't actually a type R :mad: its just a standard model with few engine bits from the jap-spec type R (but still gets 150kw :) ). you can tune it yourself up to the jap spec type R but the steering will still be mediocre. the '05 model type S has improved the steering and suspension as well as getting more jap-spec engine parts (plus the interior from the '04 luxury model).
the '00 model is actually faster than/equivalent to the '02 model i think as well as having excellent handling, so i'm content to own one until the '05 model drops its price. anyway, when u get yours tell me all! i want to know everything thats good about it etc
I thought the '02 Type R was pretty much the same as the Jap-spec Type R but is down on power because of the lower compression ratio (because Australian fuel is lower quality than that in Japan). Also, the steering on the '02 has been improved over the base model by using harder springs and few turns-to-lock. Anyway, I won't be able to find out for at least another year sadly. :( Hopefully I'll be able to grab one for less than 30k by then. :)

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 05:42 AM
I thought the '02 Type R was pretty much the same as the Jap-spec Type R but is down on power because of the lower compression ratio (because Australian fuel is lower quality than that in Japan). Also, the steering on the '02 has been improved over the base model by using harder springs and few turns-to-lock. Anyway, I won't be able to find out for at least another year sadly. :( Hopefully I'll be able to grab one for less than 30k by then. :)

you can get good ones for $30k now, so you should get a good deal :)
the reason the '02 model didn't have the proper jap type R engine was because honda japan only recently discovered that preimium fuel was widely available in oz :confused: anyway, 150kw isn't to be sneezed at, and with a little work you can get more power than the jap engine anyway.
i'll probably be in a position to afford the '05 type S early next year. we can compare them then :) altho if all goes well my mum will cream us both with her db9

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 05:46 AM
the reason the '02 model didn't have the proper jap type R engine was because honda japan only recently discovered that preimium fuel was widely available in oz :confused: anyway, 150kw isn't to be sneezed at, and with a little work you can get more power than the jap engine anyway.
i'll probably be in a position to afford the '05 type S early next year. we can compare them then :) altho if all goes well my mum will cream us both with her db9
Yeah, we'll meet up and compare! Haha :) Yours will probably own mine with your extra 7kW :D. HOWEVER, I'll have a rear spoiler that's about 4 metres tall!

Are you serious about your mum and a DB9 or were you kidding... I can't tell! If you were serious, you're obviously INCREDIBLY rich and I envy you. *sigh*

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Yeah, we'll meet up and compare! Haha :) Yours will probably own mine with your extra 7kW :D. HOWEVER, I'll have a rear spoiler that's about 4 metres tall!

Are you serious about your mum and a DB9 or were you kidding... I can't tell! If you were serious, you're obviously INCREDIBLY rich and I envy you. *sigh*

i feel a road trip coming on.... hopefully mine will be blue, we could go for a cruise to integra's side by side :)
nah my mum probably won't get a db9 for two years yet, we're not that rich, besides we just sunk all our money into some huge ass investment..otherwise i'd be driving an '05 now. oh well

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 05:57 AM
i feel a road trip coming on.... hopefully mine will be blue, we could go for a cruise to integra's side by side :)
nah my mum probably won't get a db9 for two years yet, we're not that rich, besides we just sunk all our money into some huge ass investment..otherwise i'd be driving an '05 now. oh well
Yeah I want mine Arctic Blue (the same as the one in my avatar) :D I've got it all planned out now. We'll meet somewhere neutral like Sydney. Haha. Cruising side by side might be a bit dangerous, seeing as a lot of Australian highways are single lane! :)

Seriously considering buying a DB9 regardless of when is a sign that someone's rich. :) My dad's waiting for the 2006 S-Class. He's a devout Merc customer.

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Yeah I want mine Arctic Blue (the same as the one in my avatar) :D I've got it all planned out now. We'll meet somewhere neutral like Sydney. Haha. Cruising side by side might be a bit dangerous, seeing as a lot of Australian highways are single lane! :)

Seriously considering buying a DB9 regardless of when is a sign that someone's rich. :) My dad's waiting for the 2006 S-Class. He's a devout Merc customer.

yeah go the arctic blue, its gonna make for some great pics
maybe we'll take a pic of both integra's flanking the db9 :)
are you planning any visual mods or only engine mods or whatever?

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 06:07 AM
yeah go the arctic blue, its gonna make for some great pics
maybe we'll take a pic of both integra's flanking the db9 :)
are you planning any visual mods or only engine mods or whatever?
Definitely not visual for me- I think the '02 looks absolutely perfect as it is. About engine mods, I might further on down the track, but initially I think 147kW is plenty for me :D How 'bout yourself?

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 06:11 AM
i'll probably keep it stock so i don't void the warranty anywhere
plus i don't want to lose my license, so yah 154Kw is fine for me too :)
maybe a few cautious mods to the engine after a year or so
your right about the looks tho..they look really good on the road

fa22_raptor
01-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Great :D By next year, the original warranty on a '02 will be expired, so I guess I can go crazy (not that I will). ~150kW is awesome especially because Integras are so light (curb weight is around 1150kg). :D

Turbonutter55
01-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Insurance companies are wankers. I heard a story about a guy who put a tiny, dealer-fitted boot spoiler (a 1-inch lip on the end of the boot) on his C180. Later, someone hit him. The insurance said he wasn't covered because his car was modified (like he crashed because of 1 inch of dealer-approved plastic). Worse still was the guy whose premiums went UP not down when he fitted an anti-theft system, as his car was then "modified", putting him in a category with those ricers who do donuts in housing-estate car parks in Astras with tinted windows and fartcans.

clutch-monkey
01-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Insurance companies are wankers. I heard a story about a guy who put a tiny, dealer-fitted boot spoiler (a 1-inch lip on the end of the boot) on his C180. Later, someone hit him. The insurance said he wasn't covered because his car was modified (like he crashed because of 1 inch of dealer-approved plastic). Worse still was the guy whose premiums went UP not down when he fitted an anti-theft system, as his car was then "modified", putting him in a category with those ricers who do donuts in housing-estate car parks in Astras with tinted windows and fartcans.

that sounds a bit extreme :(
i'm lucky in that i use a private insurance company through my dads business, they're generally more sensible

staryknight
01-29-2005, 12:35 PM

woah ur mum gets to drive a db9! thats gonna be one cool mum :P

hmm new Type S does look pretty nice, and seems like a nice drive too, i reckon a test drive soon before u decide to buy sounds like a good idea.

85RX7
01-29-2005, 05:03 PM
$40000 on a first car is insane!!! I spent $800! with $40,000 i could get my car to run a 10 or 11 second 1/4!

An rx7 would be my first pic. They are very popluar in australia, also you shownd be able to pick up a good one for well under 20K. Do 20K of mods to that and u should be running a 10 second. Or just street port it, exhaust, and intake. That would cost you under 2K and you will probably run a mid 12.

staryknight
01-29-2005, 05:33 PM
lol i dont think these guys are after 10 sec 1/4 miles, theyre after fun fast and comfy street cars that look nice for their daily drives.

fa22_raptor
01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
lol i dont think these guys are after 10 sec 1/4 miles, theyre after fun fast and comfy street cars that look nice for their daily drives.
Yup, you got it.

my porsche
01-30-2005, 09:30 AM
what aboot a C32 AMG or C55 AMG?

the C32 is about $27,000 used

SlickHolden
01-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Still think you should consider a Commodore or Falcon but,
Since your looking small new fast i have had a look around...... something that is $43,000 now can be under that in 10 months...
Have a look at these links:D
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/nissan/200/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2019795&pg=1&pp=9&d=0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/nissan/350z/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2013530&pg=1&pp=1&d=0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/mitsubishi/lancer/melbourne/detail.aspx?id=1893691&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/mazda/mazda6/south+eastern/detail.aspx?id=1958622&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/ford/focus/perth/detail.aspx?id=1953179&pg=1&pp=5&d=0&nv=1
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/holden/astra/brisbane/detail.aspx?id=2027386&pg=3&pp=22&d=0&nv=1

85RX7
01-30-2005, 04:21 PM

I'm just saying what you could do with that amount of money rather that just buying a new car. If you buy a new car it will obviously become a used car as soon as you drive it. Why not just get a used car and save your self some $$$. Even if its 2 or 3 years old you are still going to save a hell of a lot of money you could spend elsewere.

shr0olvl
01-30-2005, 04:45 PM
get a wrx sedan, how bad could the insurance be ? i mean its a 4 door and there realiable...

Rockefella
01-30-2005, 04:48 PM
A WRX is in a higher insurance bracket than a RSX-type R... wtf? are you sure?

shr0olvl
01-30-2005, 04:56 PM
A WRX is in a higher insurance bracket than a RSX-type R... wtf? are you sure?

thats what i wanna know... i mean the rsx is like a 2 door sports car, while the wrx is a damn sedan with a turbo...

crisis
01-30-2005, 10:48 PM
The best small car for that money in my opinion, is no longer made. The 200SX. It will kill you in insurance premiums as will any turbo or sports car. SO for $40 large you are in for boredom city or a near new SV8 or XR6T. Forget the size, they are great fun.

fpv_gtho
01-31-2005, 02:51 AM
The XR6T's starting to get out of reach though, same with the SV8 now that theyve added the SV6 bodykit but it should be easy to find one used for under $40K.

Have you thought about the Corolla Sportivo or any other hot hatches? The Corrola's just under $30K with 141kw, although you might want to get rid of the 16 inch wheels

GTR Dreamer
01-31-2005, 02:55 PM
yea, 40k for a first car is outrageous!!!,-even 40k NZD is heaps!!! :0
i would go along the track of 85_RX-7, get a car for around 20k, mod it abit then save the rest...you crash the car and what are you going to have to show for it?

any way if i cant change your thinking then i would get a-
rx-7- either a series 1 or 6/7
R32 Skyline
S15

crisis
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
The XR6T's starting to get out of reach though, same with the SV8 now that theyve added the SV6 bodykit but it should be easy to find one used for under $40K.

Have you thought about the Corolla Sportivo or any other hot hatches? The Corrola's just under $30K with 141kw, although you might want to get rid of the 16 inch wheels
A low k second hand one would be ok. You would have some spare readies to get some new tyres, exhaust and cough for the insurance too.

crisis
01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
yea, 40k for a first car is outrageous!!!,-even 40k NZD is heaps!!! :0
i would go along the track of 85_RX-7, get a car for around 20k, mod it abit then save the rest...you crash the car and what are you going to have to show for it?

any way if i cant change your thinking then i would get a-
rx-7- either a series 1 or 6/7
R32 Skyline
S15
Forget a R32 or any Skyline with ks on it. It would have been either riced or thrashed or both by some fan boy, cost a fortune to insure and be of dodgy pedigree. S15s are driven by women as much as guys so you might find one some toffy wife has had for a while to drive to the shopping centre and meet the girls for lunch which is still in good nick.

clutch-monkey
01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
thats what i wanna know... i mean the rsx is like a 2 door sports car, while the wrx is a damn sedan with a turbo...

the integra is considered more of a hot hatch, hence the lower insurance than a turbo sedan

clutch-monkey
01-31-2005, 07:37 PM
The best small car for that money in my opinion, is no longer made. The 200SX. It will kill you in insurance premiums as will any turbo or sports car. SO for $40 large you are in for boredom city or a near new SV8 or XR6T. Forget the size, they are great fun.

turbo/v8 will result in $3000 insurance preimiums. thats why a smaller, agile fwd car is better as a first car. i'm getting an integra as my 3rd car simply because it meets all my needs

clutch-monkey
01-31-2005, 07:41 PM
$40000 on a first car is insane!!! I spent $800! with $40,000 i could get my car to run a 10 or 11 second 1/4!

An rx7 would be my first pic. They are very popluar in australia, also you shownd be able to pick up a good one for well under 20K. Do 20K of mods to that and u should be running a 10 second. Or just street port it, exhaust, and intake. That would cost you under 2K and you will probably run a mid 12.

his parents probably want to make sure he gets a newer car with all the latest safety features. thats what my parents are doijng with my sister

shr0olvl
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
dude, if you want cheap insurance you better buy the car in cash or check cause if you finance it the insurance is crazy and you cant get liability on a new car if your financing it. So the best thing is to buy the car all at wants and wont have to worry about payments. and your insurance wont be that much.

heres why i say this. i got a insurance quote from state farm on a 2005 subaru wrx sedan on a 16 would be about 580 dollars a month !!!!!!! maybe 500 if your on your parents insurance which is f***kin outrageous. if you buy the car all in one then you can probably get the insurance for like 400 dollars a month or you can have liability which is like $181 USD for a 16 year old.

so basicly, look at insurance quotes before you buy a brand new car if you decide on buying a brand new car ;)

clutch-monkey
01-31-2005, 09:26 PM
so basicly, look at insurance quotes before you buy a brand new car if you decide on buying a brand new car ;)

he didn't have to, i did for him. plus he's not buying a brand new car anyway

crisis
01-31-2005, 10:09 PM
turbo/v8 will result in $3000 insurance preimiums. thats why a smaller, agile fwd car is better as a first car. i'm getting an integra as my 3rd car simply because it meets all my needs
Fine, your choice. My VY SV8 costs me $1000 per year to comprehensively insure on a business basis which is more expensive than domestic.

fpv_gtho
01-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Something that might be of interest could be an old 4L Soarer or Lexus SC400

SlickHolden
02-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Now thats a good model,, Like the one that came here one night V8 TT :eek: Sounded ****en fantastic:D

85RX7
02-01-2005, 03:11 AM
his parents probably want to make sure he gets a newer car with all the latest safety features. thats what my parents are doijng with my sister

Put in a rollcage and a 5 poinnt harness and u dont need any of the other crap!!!:)

fpv_gtho
02-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Then you may as well drive around with a full face helmet and HANS device as well then cause the cage and harness doesnt save your neck :p

85RX7
02-01-2005, 06:04 AM
then wrap your entie body with $10 of bubble wrap :p.

Even the safest cars arn't too good, they often still handle like complete rubbish, have excessive amounts of body roll and have 90%-10% weigh distribution(maybe not quite, but close enouge):)

shr0olvl
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
is the rsx a FWD car ?

Quiggs
02-01-2005, 03:34 PM
is the rsx a FWD car ?

Yes.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters."

clutch-monkey
02-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Even the safest cars arn't too good, they often still handle like complete rubbish, have excessive amounts of body roll and have 90%-10% weigh distribution(maybe not quite, but close enouge):)

true :)
safe to me is something with front and side airbags, something my '91 integra doesn't have. the '05 model does, so i consider that a big safety improvement

85RX7
02-02-2005, 02:48 AM
yep, that sure helps.

If you can get a car that can perform well enough to satisfy your power hunger and still keep you safe that is the way to go.

whiteballz
02-02-2005, 03:14 AM
have 90%-10% weigh distribution(maybe not quite, but close enouge):)

i would like to point out that is a VERY general idea there you have 85. subarus have never been described as bad handlers and as far as i know have a very good weight balance.

5 star ncap rating dosent mean that its shit.

staryknight
02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
ok i got quoted $2376 for insurance for a new '05 WRX STi, and im 21 this year, so i imagine that most other cars in aus around the 40k mark would cost alot less to insure.

fa22_raptor
02-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Ahh... great. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

Spastik_Roach
02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
http://www.goauto.co.nz/vehicle_detail.asp?site=http%3A%2F%2Fcollinsautos% 2Egoauto%2Enet%2Enz%2Fthe5thdimension%2Fvehiclelis tings%2Easp%3FvehicleID%3D197

Legacy GT-B with 5000km's for 40 grand...nice.

Or a kick ass Legacy Blitzen..http://www.goauto.co.nz/vehicle_detail.asp?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Excars%2 Eco%2Enz%2Fthe5thdimension%2Fvehiclelistings%2Easp %3FvehicleID%3D260

staryknight
02-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Im goin for a test drive in an '03 Integra Type R tonite, the only catch is, its had a garrett turbo installed along with motec chip, upgraded heavy duty cams/pistons, and buncha other mods i dunno yet, apparently the previous owner got all the mods done at the dealer (Burswood Honda) before he even bought it new. 20k worth of mods, now selling for 39k. If this thing drives as good as it sounds, i might become a Type R convert and give up on my RX-7 =P

Edit: spelling

clutch-monkey
02-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Im goin for a test drive in an '03 Integra Type R tonite, the only catch is, its had a garrat turbo installed along with motec chip, upgraded heavy duty cams/pistons, and buncha other mods i dunno yet, apparently the previous owner got all the mods done at the dealer (Burswood Honda) before he even buoght it new. 20k worth of mods, now selling for 39k. If this thing drives as good as it sounds, i might become a Type R convert and give up on my RX-7 =P

prepare for some torque steer :)
tell us how it goes

staryknight
02-16-2005, 07:23 AM
......... got myself a new car.. its the fastest car ive ever been in, nothing compares man.. before i got into it i popped the hood, took a look at the garrett turbo and air filter, and it was freaken the most massive turbocharger and air filter ive ever seen. I expected it to be some pissy little turbo that would make the type R to go about the same as your average wrx, or even STi. But after sitting in the passenger seat as the dealer dude drove me around, i almost pissed my pants when he took it down the back streets at up to 140 in 2nd gear. Paid 37990 for it, and yeh pictures will follow within a week, once i get settlement finalized. I cant explain how freaken fast it is, i reckon itll blow any STi or RX-7 off the road.

Rockefella
02-16-2005, 07:25 AM
......... got myself a new car.. its the fastest car ive ever been in, nothing compares man.. before i got into it i popped the hood, took a look at the garrett turbo and air filter, and it was freaken the most massive turbocharger and air filter ive ever seen. I expected it to be some pissy little turbo that would make the type R to go about the same as your average wrx, or even STi. But after sitting in the passenger seat as the dealer dude drove me around, i almost pissed my pants when he took it down the back streets at up to 140 in 2nd gear. Paid 37990 for it, and yeh pictures will follow within a week, once i get settlement finalized. I cant explain how freaken fast it is, i reckon itll blow any STi or RX-7 off the road.
:rolleyes:

staryknight
02-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey fa22_raptor, just to let you know, i got quoted a premium of AUD $2177 for my new Turbo DC5 with all its mods, id expect a normal un modded one to be alot cheaper, ill post a full list of mods, and all the pics when i pick it up on tuesday. But im 21 this year, and also with a 40% NCB rating, so that might be why its not too bad. They always love to rip the 17 and 18 yr olds off.

fa22_raptor
02-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Whoaaa, you lucky bloke!!! Congratulations on your new toy!! Tell me all about it when you get it and post some pictures ASAP! Sounds like a pretty decent deal you got there! :eek:
About the insurance, that's quite a hefty premium, but when I get mine, I expect it to be a lot less (I'll insure it under my dad's name). I don't intend to mod it to your extent if at all and I think 145kW is plenty for me :)
Once again, congrats!

staryknight
02-17-2005, 09:31 AM
haha thanks alot dude, im gonna lose sleep waitin for this car i reckon, i bought it last night, transferred and finalized payment today, im in debt 8k to my parents, only 5 sleeps to go!!! hope you end up getting what you want when its time for you to buy :D

fa22_raptor
02-17-2005, 11:58 PM
im gonna lose sleep waitin for this car i reckon
I can't blame you! :D

staryknight
02-25-2005, 12:09 PM
some pics here that i posted on another forums, got abit lazy to post it all out again, but its not too much trouble to click, ;)

85RX7
02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
some pics here that i posted on another forums, got abit lazy to post it all out again, but its not too much trouble to click, ;)

where are the pix? :confused:
Is there ment 2 b a link?

fa22_raptor
02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Where where where where where?

staryknight
02-25-2005, 09:32 PM
oh shit i forgot to post the link!! rofl, anyway here it is, sorry for my noobness. XD

OzHonda Forums Thread with pics (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15842&page=1&pp=12)

fa22_raptor
02-25-2005, 10:11 PM
That is one SEXY car. I want one exactly like that except in Arctic Blue! You wouldn't believe how much I envy you... infinite congratulations on your acquisition!!!
One thing I wanna know is did it come with A/C because it's not standard on the Type-R :( I don't think I could live without A/C especially during summer.

staryknight
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
haha thanks man, dont worry ive saved long n hard for this car, and im sure youll be able to get it come the time for you to buy. Mine did come with A/C im sure the previous owner added the A/C option, coz youd have to be pretty stupid to drive a car and not get A/C in australia, the weather here gets freaken hot. Hmm i think ive been driving it abit too much lately, ive already put almost 500km on the odometer since i got it on tuesday, lol went down south for a trip with friends, then a cruise, and yeh, but ill cut down alot once uni starts.

clutch-monkey
02-26-2005, 02:01 AM
love the car, any niggles with the steering (torque steer?)
i like how the exterior stock, yet you have a surprise under the bonnet...

fa22_raptor
02-26-2005, 04:55 AM
i like how the exterior stock, yet you have a surprise under the bonnet...
I agree. However, the "stock" Type-R already looks pretty mean as it is :) The only hint we get that yours is something special is the hidden intercooler tucked away under the number plate. Tell us more about it, is there ANYTHING bad about the car? Doesn't look like it to me :)

staryknight
02-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Ok after a quite alot of driving in the past week, theres a few minor things, some abit more concerning than others:

First thing is, if i push it hard, and use the turbo and vtec, it farken goes like psycho, but yeh there is torque steer, (thats when your accelerate too fast and it makes the wheels turn and not go straight sorta right? coz i experienced that)

Second thing is the turbo is annoying because i dont have a turbo timer yet, so always waiting for it to cool down for about 2 mins after semi revving it gets annoying.

Third, the exhaust piping is too low under the car, and ive already put some scrapes, and dented the piping while going over stupid speed bumps.. >.<

Fourth; a bird flew straight into my bonnet when i was doing 130 down a highway, and now theres 3 lil dents in my bonnet, though theyre not that visible, its pretty bad luck, ill have to get it fixed in the long run.

Fifth, it makes a sorta sucking kinda low pitched whistle sound when i go over 120 or 130 sometimes, i think its the wind, because it happens sometimes, and other times it doesnt.

Sixth, the exhaust is too daym loud, i feel like such a ricer when i drive it, lol id get it changed, but i dont wanna spend the cash yet, and well i think the exhaust has been tuned and built pretty well to provide good low range torque before turbo or vtec kicks in.

Other than that, it runs awesome, im gonna take it into a friends recommended mechanic and get it checked out thoroughly once i get the full list of mods just to check for anything that needs fixing and prolly get a turbo timer installed. Not gonna do anything to the exterior, cept maybe a Carbon Fibre bonnet, but not for the looks, i want to get an aero one so that it can breathe better under the hood, because a friend told me that the air filter is sucking in alot of hot air at the moment, and yeh would help the engine bay abit if i had better ventilation under there.

fa22_raptor
03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Ah I see. Nothing there you absolutely can't live with although I could imagine the exhaust piping hitting the ground to be pretty damn annoying. Also, the bird thing is just plain bad luck- sorry to hear it. Anyway, still sounds like a sweeeet ride. Have fun mate. :)

Holdenrulz
03-21-2005, 03:24 AM
Mate, you are so lucky to have that kind of money,
i'll suggest you go for a classic car eg: GTR XU-1 torrie, Hq Monaro, '67 'stang, XC falcon, E38 R/T or E49 R/T charger or even a Phase falcon?
Just because they are older dosen't mean you could "pimp your ride" add some mod. cons. and you will have a "fully sic" ride and still get respect without having to drive a rice burner. :)

p.s. or you could drive a Brock com. group A SS.

"Only Juice And Milk Come In Two Liters"

NAZCA C2
03-21-2005, 08:40 PM
You got S2000's there in Australia? For 30,000 US you could easily get one of those.

clutch-monkey
03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
you can get a 2nd hand s2000 for 40k AUD, but its not a practical choice for young drivers

fa22_raptor
03-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah I know. I'm sticking with the DC5 Integra Type R for now. So, clutch, when are you going to get yours again?

clutch-monkey
03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
2000 model/maybe a supra in a month or so, '05 model type S early next year

whiteballz
03-22-2005, 01:10 AM
"Only Juice And Milk Come In Two Liters"

and only cheap wine comes in 5

Manik
03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
and only cheap wine comes in 5

I know this seems a bit random but what is that dancing thing in you avatar? Is it a racoon? :confused:

The Ferrarist
03-29-2005, 01:27 PM
bmw 3?

MRR
03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Holy crap you are lucky. $30000 US for a first car!!! Man im probaly not even going to get a car!!!

Anyway get a slightly used BMW 3-Series. My personal pick would be a 2002 330Ci with a 5-speed manual.

staryknight
04-12-2005, 03:55 AM
you wont be able to get a 330Ci in aus for 30k US, they cost about 110k AUD here... even 2nd hand theyll be goin for 70-80k, lol cars here cost so much more than in the states..

fa22_raptor
04-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Stary! How's the Integra coming along? Any issues? Would you recommend one over say an S15 200SX? I recently found out that the maximum power/weight ratio in Victoria is 125kW/tonne, and that the Integra Type R is 126kW/tonne. What a bummer! Anyway, I've reconsidered, and am now thinking about an S15 200SX Spec R GT. It's under the power limit, looks good and is blindingly fast. Unfortunately the word "turbo" immediately means "ridiculously high premium" to insurance companies even if it's insured under my dad's name.

staryknight
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
hey dude, sorry for late reply, i havent been on the forums for awhile, i wonder if you still check them? my cars pretty good, ummm the S15 is a good car, but i prefer the Type R, its really about what your into, but i went on a advanced driver training course a few months back, and the instructor there drove my car around the track once, and he had driven S15s heaps, and he said he prefers the DC5R, but yeh i think its all about what you prefer personally, i dont think the Type R is illegal in victoria because im sure alot of people have it in melbourne, im on some other car forums and there are a few Type R owners from melbourne, anyway feel free to pm me if you have any more specific queries about the car, sorry again for the extremely late reply.

clutch-monkey
06-16-2005, 07:14 PM
i thought the type R was 122 kw/tonne? besides i don't how they're gonna check that on the road.
bad luck for you guys with your power/weight ratio limits :(

Blue Supra
06-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Get an S15 Spec R.

HOT HOT HOT!!!!:D:D:D

nota
06-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Stary! How's the Integra coming along? Any issues? Would you recommend one over say an S15 200SX? I recently found out that the maximum power/weight ratio in Victoria is 125kW/tonne, and that the Integra Type R is 126kW/tonne. What a bummer! Anyway, I've reconsidered, and am now thinking about an S15 200SX Spec R GT. It's under the power limit, looks good and is blindingly fast. Unfortunately the word "turbo" immediately means "ridiculously high premium" to insurance companies even if it's insured under my dad's name.
Considered a Renaultsport Clio 182?

Seems an excellent allround enthusiasts machine, well equipped and good value. Road tests favour them against Integra Type S or Cooper S, plus no turbo so less insurance ripoff. Here's a roadtest-comparison link

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__carpointau/tabID__6485/ArticleID__7168/DesktopDefault.aspx

Though at 131kW & 1035kg it might also be just over the 125kW/tonne limit :confused:

clutch-monkey
06-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Considered a Renaultsport Clio 182?

Seems an excellent allround enthusiasts machine, well equipped and good value. Road tests favour them against Integra Type S or Cooper S, plus no turbo so less insurance ripoff. Here's a roadtest-comparison link

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__carpointau/tabID__6485/ArticleID__7168/DesktopDefault.aspx

Though at 131kW & 1035kg it might also be just over the 125kW/tonne limit :confused:
power to weight ratio limit doesn't apply to me :)
i know the clio is a better car, but i just prefer the looks/interior of the integra, call me superficial...... and effective aircon is especially important to me
besides, you don't need to turbo an integra :)

fa22_raptor
06-20-2005, 07:30 AM
power to weight ratio limit doesn't apply to me :)
i know the clio is a better car, but i just prefer the looks/interior of the integra, call me superficial...... and effective aircon is especially important to me
besides, you don't need to turbo an integra :)
I agree with ya in everything you've said here. :)

I'm starting to lean towards the new Integra because my dad doesn't trust used cars and he insists that I get a new one (which rules out the Type R and the 200SX :( ). Oh, and I think the power/weight ratio of the Integra is so ridiculously close to being under 125kW/tonne that it should be fine. :cool:

clutch-monkey
06-21-2005, 02:54 AM
I agree with ya in everything you've said here. :)

I'm starting to lean towards the new Integra because my dad doesn't trust used cars and he insists that I get a new one (which rules out the Type R and the 200SX :( ). Oh, and I think the power/weight ratio of the Integra is so ridiculously close to being under 125kW/tonne that it should be fine. :cool:
i've never had any trouble with my used cars :) *knock on wood* and i'd love to get my hands on a good 200SX, but i don't think i could justify it. at least the integra is safe/economical as well as being sporty.

fa22_raptor
06-22-2005, 06:41 AM
*sigh* It's my dad who has problems with used cars. And yep, I agree with ya about the Integra again!

werty
06-22-2005, 05:41 PM
*sigh* It's my dad who has problems with used cars. And yep, I agree with ya about the Integra again!
so did you ever get a car? How bout a nice Mazda RX-7, twin turbo of course, and low miles, use the extra money to make it fast...not rice

Blue Supra
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Victoria has power restrictions on young drivers cars, a twin turbo rotary is "not safe" for a young driver:(

staryknight
06-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Go the new Type-S its an awesome car as well, i test drove one before i got my R and it was just as sweet, more refined, enough power for ya and not as raw as the R. If your dad is willing to fork out the extra cash for a brand new one then good for you :) .

fa22_raptor
06-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Yep, I think I'll settle on the Type S. Our family's fortunate enough to be considered "well-off", so dad's happier for me to get the Type S. :D Thanks for all the help, and welcome back stary!

clutch-monkey
06-23-2005, 01:07 AM
go for it! post pics and tell me about it, i'm aiming for a used one when my course shifts back to brisbane.
i can't buy one now because money is tightish with accomodation fees at uni, and i hate the fact that i'm losing several grand as soon as i drive it out of the showroom. if your dad's willing, you get the peace of mind...... and the new car feel :D

fa22_raptor
06-23-2005, 01:20 AM
:D Yep I can't wait, but I gotta wait until I finish year 12 first. What a bummer! So it'll be a while yet... probably late December or early Jan. At least it'll be the '06 model though (probably the last of the Integra line... :( )