PDA

View Full Version : Proof that the reputation system is biased !

Misho
12-29-2003, 11:34 PM
A lot of debate recently had been pointed towards the new "reputation" points system. I beleive you all probably know what wasd mentioned in those debates, so i will cut straight to my point.

Just to show that the system isn't any useful. Take a look at the "Members List" and you will find some very interesing results. I came across a user with no posts (yes ZERO posts) that has 10 reputation points ! ofcourse those in support of the system will point out that this is not a prolem with the system, but rather a problem with the users that don't properly use the system. and to them I ask, aren't these users what the system was implemented for ? such a system needs high participation and co-operation rates. something that we have no control over and is extremely hard to achieve in cyber space.

Anways, just to keep this interesting, i also came across a user with -15 reputatation points !! it said besides his reputation "could only hope to improve" !! :D

so what do u guys think of what i said ? and please point out any unusual cases of strange repuation statues that u come across too !!

Egg Nog
12-29-2003, 11:40 PM
I came across a user with no posts (yes ZERO posts) that has 10 reputation points !

I rated a couple of ancient zero-post users because I wanted to improve your reputation, but I couldn't, because you need to rate a whole bunch of others before you can go back to the same person again. As I figured, better to rate someone who will never post here than wrongfully rate someone who does. I hope you're happy now :)

Misho
12-30-2003, 11:14 PM
I rated a couple of ancient zero-post users because I wanted to improve your reputation, but I couldn't, because you need to rate a whole bunch of others before you can go back to the same person again. As I figured, better to rate someone who will never post here than wrongfully rate someone who does. I hope you're happy now :)

i really think that i owe you an apology ! not sure if u did it for ME or for some of the other deserving users, but in both cases i think i do owe u an apology ! i am sorry.
but anyways, that still means that the reputation system is kinda weak. having to boost other users to be able to rate again isn't very professional !! but i guess it cant be left open-ended either. people will take advantage of that easily.

now please give a brief explanation of what we can do to raise our reputations, since it seems to be the "new" thing in these forums !!

thanx eggnog, i appreciate what u did !! and to pay u back, i will try to boost ur reputations AND if u ever visit Halifax or Sharm El-Sheikh, i will accompany you and give u a tour of the place !!

fpv_gtho
12-30-2003, 11:23 PM
those 10 points that all the no-poster's had, were there because wouter has the reputation system setup that new members start off with 10 points. hes hoping that as the system gets older and people get in the habit of using it, he can reduce the points.

hes also made it that you have to give points to a certain number of other people before you can rate someone again, to stop people voting for the same people over and over again, and so that you put more consideration i guess into the posts you rate.

Egg Nog
12-30-2003, 11:26 PM
now please give a brief explanation of what we can do to raise our reputations, since it seems to be the "new" thing in these forums!

Make an effort to write good posts, rich in content, and low in idiocy :) Some people still haven't grasped that, but you seem to be on the right track...

thanx eggnog, i appreciate what u did !! and to pay u back, i will try to boost ur reputations AND if u ever visit Halifax or Sharm El-Sheikh, i will accompany you and give u a tour of the place !!

Nice! All expenses paid? :p There's a chance I might visit Halifax eventually, but I don't know about Sharm El-Sheikh :)

Misho
12-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Make an effort to write good posts, rich in content, and low in idiocy :) Some people still haven't grasped that, but you seem to be on the right track...

Nice! All expenses paid? :p There's a chance I might visit Halifax eventually, but I don't know about Sharm El-Sheikh :)

not only on the right track, but also on a distinguished road !!

and trust me when i say this, you will have more fun in Sharm than you will in Halifax ! (i am assuming u know what is Sharm)
;)

Misho
12-30-2003, 11:31 PM
and yes, all expenses paid !! ;)

white devil
12-31-2003, 09:09 AM
i need some encouregment :D

i am the most active in this site but i m not that strong in english and that wont help me by increasing my reputation :p so any other way :confused:

Egg Nog
12-31-2003, 04:51 PM
i need some encouregment :D

i am the most active in this site but i m not that strong in english and that wont help me by increasing my reputation :p so any other way :confused:

Well, you don't really need to be an English major to get reputation. People don't rate you based on huge words that you use, they rate you on the quality of your post. This usually means a long post, one where you help another user, or post some good content of your own. Quality posts usually take more than at least 5 minutes to write...

The key is good, original content. I personally don't like it all too much when people just post a whole bunch of someone else's photos, but I like it when they post their own. It shows a real effort, and a good contribution to the forum.

henk4
01-01-2004, 03:26 AM
. I personally don't like it all too much when people just post a whole bunch of someone else's photos, but I like it when they post their own. It shows a real effort, and a good contribution to the forum.

I think I am one of the few that has been consistently posting pictures of his own, even at times when it was uncalled for. Nevertheless my reputation has been constant ever since the system started. Not that I mind, but if you quote it as way to improve it, it should be substantiated (1 minute, and 8 seconds so less than 5 minutes to write this down :D )

white devil
01-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Well, you don't really need to be an English major to get reputation. People don't rate you based on huge words that you use, they rate you on the quality of your post. This usually means a long post, one where you help another user, or post some good content of your own. Quality posts usually take more than at least 5 minutes to write...

The key is good, original content. I personally don't like it all too much when people just post a whole bunch of someone else's photos, but I like it when they post their own. It shows a real effort, and a good contribution to the forum.
that is a big problem 5 min???????????????????????????
man that sucks immagine you will be reading what everybody is saying and he wrote too much that will be boring somtimes i dont feel like reading and the thread is all about reading so i dont join it :D

henk4
01-01-2004, 08:35 AM
that is a big problem 5 min???????????????????????????
man that sucks immagine you will be reading what everybody is saying and he wrote too much that will be boring somtimes i dont feel like reading and the thread is all about reading so i dont join it :D

Just go back to the original message, it's said that posting your own pics will bring you credit. Uploading four pics can easily take a couple of minutes, so there you go already. :D

white devil
01-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Just go back to the original message, it's said that posting your own pics will bring you credit. Uploading four pics can easily take a couple of minutes, so there you go already. :D

hahaha thats good :D

DasModell
01-05-2004, 06:06 AM
one question .. what with the reputation .. does it do any good?????? sorry for the question . but i've been missing the last week or so :)