PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitar Solo Contest

Egg Nog
01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Nominate the best guitar solo! :D

Include an mp3 clip if possible (very helpful). We'll all vote when this is over. Let's see how insane they can get ;)

You can use this to create the clips: (From mp3 files)

http://www.mpesch3.de/

blackcat77
01-25-2005, 11:59 PM
I'd say "Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zeppelin. The studio version on III and the live version on How the West was Won are equally good. Right behind that would be Clapton's "Little Wing" from Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla" album. No mp3s but I'm sure everyone's familiar with both of them and I can't really think of anything better.

Ferrari Tifosi
01-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Too many to chose from. moe.'s Kyle's Song > Brent Black that I saw was f***ing awesome, but the The Allman Brothers Band "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" takes the cake, Duane and Dickey's Solo's are awesome.

Don't know how so, is there any way I can post music files from my computer on the forums instead of just links to the music?

Ferrari Tifosi
01-26-2005, 12:09 AM
I'd say "Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zeppelin. The studio version on III and the live version on How the West was Won are equally good. Right behind that would be Clapton's "Little Wing" from Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla" album. No mp3s but I'm sure everyone's familiar with both of them and I can't really think of anything better.

Layla is a great song, and it can't get better than Eric Clapton and Duane Allman jamming. But I've never heard Eric Clapton do "Little Wing" but I have heard Stevie Ray Vaughn do it.

Egg Nog
01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Hey,

I am pressing to get .mp3 support up and working... in the mean time, just keep thinking ;)

Mustang
01-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Jimi Hendrix, Star spangaled Banner / national anthem

SPHFerrari
01-26-2005, 04:52 AM
yea that was insane Mustang. i watched it on the woodstock dvd, it was great. wish i could have been there.

Dantera22B
01-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Dragonforce: Fury of the Storm. Can't upload the mp3 yet but htis song is on the same album and it's got a pretty mad solo. Anybody else heard of 'em i'm gonna guess at no. :)

http://www.noiserecords.com/downloads/[email protected]_Spirit_Will_Go_On.mp3

Niko_Fx
01-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Artist: Walter Giardino (Argentinean)
Song: Caceria

I'm only uploading the solo.... Take a minute and listen to it, the guy is awesome :).

Homem de Gelo
01-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You
Ozzy Orbourne - No More Tears
Megadeth - Holy Wars

SPHFerrari
01-26-2005, 10:03 AM
how can i upload an mp3?

johnnynumfiv
01-26-2005, 10:11 AM
freebird by lynyrd skynyrd, green grass and high tides by the outlaws

great southern rock guitar solos

ruim20
01-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Megadeth - Cowntdown To extincion (Marty's Solo)

aaa!

Eagles - Hotel California

Homem de Gelo
01-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Any Rhandy Roads solo.

Esperante
01-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Here's my go-

'Liberation' by Chicago on the Chicago Transit Authority is a 15 minute piece glorifying each instrument, moving from a quick intro including all to a 9 minute guitar solo (argueably one of the best EVER), then to the horns, then bass, then horns, quick vocals, and return to all. INCREDIBLE piece. :)

Another stunning solo is the live version of 'Comfortably Numb.' I know, I know, the studio version is good, but Gilmour's killer Fender Telecaster from the 'Is There Anybody Out There? 1980-81' live album kicks the shit out of the it. The tone it produces is one of the most powerful and ferocious noises I've ever heard.

Gimour did his best studio work on the 17 minute title track for Supertramp's 'Brother Where You Bound,' where he took the place of former bandmate Rodger Hodgson. WOW is all I can say.

Also give the live version of 'Dazed And Confused' from 'How The West Was Won' by Led Zeppelin. It's basically 25 minutes of Jimmy page doing orgasmic and eerie guitar and mandolin work.

Mustang
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
yea that was insane Mustang. i watched it on the woodstock dvd, it was great. wish i could have been there.

yeah ive got the whole woodstock DVD :D bloody amazing :p

RS6
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Pink Floyd:
Comfortably Numb
Time

Led Zeppelin:
Stairway to Heaven
Since I've Been Loving You

Frank Zappa:
Black Napkins

Steve Vai:
For the Love of God

Stevie Ray Vaughn:
Texas Flood

Van Halen:
Eruption

Jimi Hendrix:
All Along the Watchtower
Voodoo Chile
Purple Haze

Here is a good link.
100 Greatest Guitar Solos (http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitarsolo.html)

crisis
01-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Gilmour, Comfortably numb
Gary Moore, Shapes and Out in the Fields
Adrian Vandenburg - Whitesnake, Crying in the rain
Rik Emmet and Steve Morse On Surveillence , Triumph album) , headed for no where
Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan, Shy boy
Much by Frank Gambale anf Alan Holdsworth.

lithuanianmafia
01-26-2005, 06:14 PM
It's basically 25 minutes of Jimmy page doing orgasmic and eerie guitar and mandolin work.

actually, if I'm correct, I believe it's John Paul Jones, the bass player, playing the mandolin. so, more of a team effort than just one guy.

none the less, it's still the shit ;)

my porsche
01-26-2005, 06:20 PM
freebird by lynyrd skynyrd, green grass and high tides by the outlaws

great southern rock guitar solos

both great songs,but dont forget fall of the peacemakers by molly hatchet, 7 minut southern rock solo

Esperante
01-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Here is a good link.
100 Greatest Guitar Solos (http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitarsolo.html)

Eh...they put the 60 second solo from 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago at 65, and they put Liberation by Chicago at 156. And how did 'The End' by the Beatles get 169? It's a good song, but there's no real stunning solos on it. I guess 'Liberation' didn't make it to the live list. :( They also put Terry Kath and David Gilmour below Eric Clapton on the greatest guitarists list. Don't forget Syd Barret is #182-WTF where they thinking when they put him on the list? :confused: And how did John Paul Jones rank higher than Rick Davies on the 'Greatest Rock Keyboardists' list? Davies didn't even make it on! :(

Niko_Fx
01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Guys...

Windows Movie Maker > Add the song > cut it so that only the solo remains > add a pic (that's what I did) or find some way that when being saved it becomes a wmv and not a wma > select size when saving, make sure is less than 2MB > save > upload it.

Is just that a bunch of names don't work out for me... I want to listen to all of them but honestly don't feel like downloading them.

Anybody heard mine?

Let me know if you need any help with what I just explained.

Esperante
01-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Guys...

Windows Movie Maker > Add the song > cut it so that only the solo remains > add a pic (that's what I did) or find some way that when being saved it becomes a wmv and not a wma > select size when saving, make sure is less than 2MB > save > upload it.

Is just that a bunch of names don't work out for me... I want to listen to all of them but honestly don't feel like downloading them.

Anybody heard mine?

Let me know if you need any help with what I just explained.
Alright, I'll have to reformat some of mine...

Egg Nog
01-26-2005, 07:44 PM
This is my choice. Seriously, this is absolute 100% insanity. No, it's not sped up. :)

The solo from Yngwie Malmsteen's "I am a Viking"

CdocZ
01-26-2005, 07:46 PM
yeah ive got the whole woodstock DVD :D bloody amazing :p
make me a copy? ill search it for virus's for you! :p
EDIT: ok, its not the best, but by far my favorite. the solo from "stairway to heaven" (led zep just in case someone doesnt know). and........if you havent heard it, you havent heard much music :p

taz_rocks_miami
01-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Eddie Van Halen:Eruption, from the Album Diver Down. Gotta love it!:)

SPHFerrari
01-26-2005, 08:43 PM
just thought id help you guys who havent heard it. it really is great. maybe if i feel like it ill make a comfprtably numb clip. truly a great solo

werty
01-26-2005, 08:50 PM
This is my choice. Seriously, this is absolute 100% insanity. No, it's not sped up. :)

The solo from Yngwie Malmsteen's "I am a Viking"
I was just about to say his name....He is definetely, without a single doubt, THE best solo guitarist to ever live on this earth!

My friend has his CD and showed it to me about 2 months ago.....freaking amazing :eek: :eek:

ZeTurbo
01-26-2005, 10:24 PM
have you guys hear of randy rhodes? ok that was a stupid question. one of my favorite solos is in "crazy train". ledd Zepp's stair way to heaven is there for sure.

also , i really enjoy Kirk Hammets solos. in great songs such as "one", "fade to black", "nothing else matters" and "master of puppets" to name few. these have seriuslly established him as a Virtuoso.

i also enjoy Yngwe Malmsteems 5th symphony interretation.

pink floyd in "sorrow"

iron maiden in so many songs

Jimmy Hendrix of course.

so many good ones out there.

ZeTurbo
01-26-2005, 10:26 PM
I was just about to say his name....He is definetely, without a single doubt, THE best solo guitarist to ever live on this earth!

My friend has his CD and showed it to me about 2 months ago.....freaking amazing :eek: :eek:
i think jimmy page isa pretty close contender as well as jimmy hendrix.

however, if randy rhodes had not died so young, i believe he would have surpassed EVRYONE of these.

rest in peace RR.

crisis
01-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Im going to add them as I think of them.
Denny Dias on Steely Dans Do it Again on Sitar (although it supposed to be guitat solo)

crisis
01-26-2005, 10:42 PM

Malmsteen is cool. If you like uber shred you should hear Cacophony with Marty Freidman and Jason Becker, metal hair and everything.

crisis
01-26-2005, 11:15 PM
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitarsolo.html

Re this link good to see Neal Schon and Ritchie Blackmore get a mention too.

Dantera22B
01-27-2005, 09:53 AM
nobody has even mentioned dimebag or any pantera song. god damn it bobby

ruim20
01-27-2005, 10:00 AM
^ ok lol

Megadeth - Cowntdown To Extincion (Marty's solo)

Eagles - Hotel California

Pantera - Cemetery Gates

crisis
01-27-2005, 04:59 PM
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/119/

Interesting link.

Mustang
01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
yeah i was gonna say steve vai :p

crisis
01-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Clearly Tony likes toys
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/476/

Esperante
01-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Alright.

1-A two minute segment ripped from Chicago's 'Liberation.' This momentary lapse of reason from the song is an expiremental twist, which (out of context) sounds unbelievably weird. I would have put up the whole song, but it's 15 minutes, so I'll just give you the expiremental part.

2-The part in the middle of 'Pigs (Three Different Ones) on the 'Animals' album by Pink Floyd. David Gimour attepts to make his voicebox guitar cry, squeal and oink. (I would've put the 'Frampton Comes Alive' version of 'Do You Feel Like We Do?' but I don't know where my CD is. :( )

3-This is the concluding solo from the live version of 'Comfortably Numb' by Pink Floyd on the 'Is There Anybody Out There?' album. WOW.

*EDIT* alright, here they are, but I have to apologize for the tremendously bad quality. :(

my porsche
01-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Eddie Van Halen:Eruption, from the Album Diver Down. Gotta love it!:)

i can play alot of it

werty
01-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Malmsteen is cool. .

If not the best solo guitarists, definetely the most skilled in super fast songs

my porsche
01-27-2005, 06:12 PM
If not the best solo guitarists, definetely the most skilled in super fast songs
but his ego is a little too big, he said in a guitar world i read "I can play things that will blow your F***ing head!" who says that?

Esperante
01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
but his ego is a little too big, he said in a guitar world i read "I can play things that will blow your F***ing head!" who says that?
That's nothing.

'So what if I can't drum to the bloody piece. I'm still the best....the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world!' -Keith Moon

Roger Waters fired Rick Wright from Pink Floyd for having too many opinions on politics and Wright wanted to put them into his songs. This pissed off Waters, who fired him after releasing 'Animals,' which is a musical interpretation of 'Animal Farm' and displays Waters' communist beliefs ten-fold.

'

my porsche
01-27-2005, 06:33 PM
That's nothing.

'So what if I can't drum to the bloody piece. I'm still the best....the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world!' -Keith Moon

Roger Waters fired Rick Wright from Pink Floyd for having too many opinions on politics and Wright wanted to put them into his songs. This pissed off Waters, who fired him after releasing 'Animals,' which is a musical interpretation of 'Animal Farm' and displays Waters' communist beliefs ten-fold.

'

i read animal farm, bloody orwellian comunists, i hated that book :mad:

yeah theres alot of big egos in music, i just pesonally dont like
yngwie malmsteen

SPHFerrari
01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
yea i read animal farm too. communism would suck. but i guess if everyone could be happy with it it would work out pretty well. but the problem is i would never be happy with it and neither would most people.

communist propoganda or not, Animals is still a ****in awesome album

my porsche
01-27-2005, 06:46 PM
yea i read animal farm too. communism would suck. but i guess if everyone could be happy with it it would work out pretty well. but the problem is i would never be happy with it and neither would most people.

communist propoganda or not, Animals is still a ****in awesome album
yeah, most people would be unhappy with it, including me, its just stupid

and yes animals is

Blitz_
01-27-2005, 06:57 PM
steve vai - for the love of god

crisis
01-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Gos with the territory. EVH has said a few ordinary comments about some other guitarists too. If your that good and you can back it up you can probably get away with it although I do, myself respect a little humility.

crisis
01-27-2005, 11:05 PM
This is fun. I want in on this competition as soon as I can fly a 747 with my feet.
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/588/

Ferrari Tifosi
01-27-2005, 11:52 PM
It's funny how a couple of people have mentioned "Southern Rock" without mentioning the band THE ALLMAN BROTHERS, since they pretty much they are the band who defined it and brought it to the public in America, not Lynyrd Skynyrd.

R.I.P. Duane Allman & Berry Oakley.