PDA

View Full Version : 72' Cutlass

Leuthesius
01-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Or a Cutlass, rather.

1972 Convertible Cutlass Supreme with the 442 package, and a 455 V-8 attached to a Turbo400 Hydromatic (automatic) Transmission.

It's really hard to say that in conversation ;)

I've already payed for 80% of the engine rebuild parts (I'm not doing that myself, more cost effective and reliable otherwise). The body damage is all but extensive unfortunately. It'll cost around $1400 for just the rear left qp, which sucks.

$2000 got me either stock or moderate performance parts, good oil pickup/pan, an RV Camshaft, engine tanking, destruction, and all the other fixins. I'm about $700 away from having the engine rebuilt (finally).

I rebuilt the transmission myself (yay) and I'm currently waiting for a $55 solenoid for it before I can actually put it completely back together, but I did it myself, and that's what's important. ($80 and 50 hours (first transmission rebuild ever) is more cost effective than $700 and none of my time)

At this point unfortnately, I'm low on cash, and only working one lowly part time job while going go college and doing the equivilency of 22-25 credit hours, so time and money are not a premium right now. Although I quit smoking, so technically I should have more money than normal...

This baby sat in a barn for 20 years, then in a back field for another, and I've gone from not knowing a damned thing about cars.... to STILL not knowing a damned thing about cars :D

But here's pictures for show :)
(I hope this doesn't count against any sort of advertisement rule)

In the beginning
Cutlass page one (http://hardymotorcycles.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15)
Teardown
Cutlass page two (http://hardymotorcycles.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16)

Since all of those pictures were taken, I almost had that 50-60 pound crankshaft fall on my head when we were removing it, and THEN we were finally able to remove the flywheel and torque converter.

Engine block turned out to be good(thankfully), and I've ordered practically every single part required for the rebuild. But I'm missing a select few (connecting rods and head parts) pieces, and of course the few hundred dollars for them to put my engine together.

stupid computer If there were like 2 or 3 threads I apologize! This thing has issues!

johnnynumfiv
01-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Seems like you got quite the project on your hands, but it is definetly worth it. Welcome to ucp :)

Leuthesius
01-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh it's a huge project.
As soon as the weather around here clears up a bit, I'll be doing cleanout/cleanup on the interior as well.

johnnynumfiv
01-29-2005, 09:04 PM
I've been working on my car for over a year, money and motivation have been short. And since the winter doesn't really permit working with metal without sticking to it, i'm out for a good chunk the year.

PsychoChimp22
01-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Seems like this should be moved to the "[]D[][]V[][]D Cars" section. :cool: