PDA

View Full Version : Roger Penske's Secret Garage

ScionDriver
02-01-2005, 08:06 AM
I am looking at the January 31, 2005 ESPN the Magazine and there is an article about Roger Penske's "secret" garage on the outskirts of Detroit. From the few pictures in the magazine there looks to be a number of his racing cars engines', various Ferrari's, a Mercedes SL300 Gullwing, his Indy race cars, a Ford GT and others. Anyone have pictures or ever heard of this before?

drakkie
02-01-2005, 08:20 AM
it used to be a secret :)

mopar68
02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Very interesting. I should look into it. He probably has the 7th 1965 Chevrolet Grand sport.

Dino Scuderia
02-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Very interesting. I should look into it. He probably has the 7th 1965 Chevrolet Grand sport.

What was the 6th?

Manik
02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
various ferraris, danm!

night rider
02-03-2005, 12:56 AM
it used to be a secret :)
That's an old French saying!

mopar68
02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
What was the 6th?

I was reading an article in autoweek a couple months ago about the 6th grandsport corvette. It was always thought that there were 5 GS corvettes, cause thats all they could fine. Yet some guy had a picture of 6 grandsport corvettes. Eventually, an old test driver came to the magazine and said that he drove the 6th grandsport corvette. I think it was a hardtop. His boss told him to take it to the desert, fill it with tires and burn it to the ground. He did what was told of him, and the most distinctive thing he could remember was the puddle of melted aluminum from the body. Very sad.

LapLeader
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I read that article. That guy is unreal. He tracked down all the cars he had to sell to start Penske and got them back. I wish I could afford a collection like that. SL 500, Enzo, etc... Got to be a couple mill worth of cars there. Hell, he's got the cake!

Dino Scuderia
02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
I was reading an article in autoweek a couple months ago about the 6th grandsport corvette. It was always thought that there were 5 GS corvettes, cause thats all they could fine. Yet some guy had a picture of 6 grandsport corvettes. Eventually, an old test driver came to the magazine and said that he drove the 6th grandsport corvette. I think it was a hardtop. His boss told him to take it to the desert, fill it with tires and burn it to the ground. He did what was told of him, and the most distinctive thing he could remember was the puddle of melted aluminum from the body. Very sad.

Interesting, but then it could have been a prototype of sorts and many prototypes were destroyed in those days.....but by way of taking them to the desert and burning them? Sounds like a tall tale.

mopar68
02-05-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm just telling you what I read. It was a 6th GS corvette because it matched the one in the picture. I don't know about the burning thing, but since the 6th one cant be found, it's totally possible.