PDA

View Full Version : Prius: the truth is out there.

Turbonutter55
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
We (my family) may be getting a new Prius to use as our "large" car (for hauling stuff around and long trips). For everything else, such as fun, we have our FIAT 500. We will test-drive it this weekend. Watch this thread to see how it goes, and no flames please.

UCR
02-03-2005, 11:05 AM
£17,545 - Toyota Prius

£17,548 - Volvo V50

No silly looks, Bigger, And only an extra £3.

Think about it.

Coventrysucks
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
You could do better than that.
Get a 2 year old VW Passat TDi estate for less, and it gets better fuel economy, you can fit more in it.

If it is to be used for long trips as in cruising the highway at 50+mph for hours on end, don't think you'll get good economy from a Prius.

They are designed to use the electric motors in town, and the little 1.5 cyl engine would be rather put upon to lug a car filled with people and luggage at higer speeds.

With a TDi engine you get lots of torque so you can pootle along at minimum revs and the engine isn't using as much fuel.

UCR
02-03-2005, 11:13 AM
I still say Volvo V50, why buy 2nd hand? Urgh :D

http://images.qianlong.com/mmsource/images/2004/01/17/qchjzh040117volvo.jpg

d-quik
02-03-2005, 11:26 AM
In other news, McDonald's, Microsoft, General Motors, Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, and EA games have combined to make the greediest company in the world. Their headquarters will be situated Quebec.

early93viper
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
My Dad has a Prius and Loves it. I drove it and it does what it is supose to do very well. And is actually pretty fun to drive. I say get it.

Lagonda
02-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Take the advice on the Passat.

Karrmann
02-03-2005, 01:34 PM
GET THE PRIUS!!!!!! you'll benefiet from it.

Lagonda
02-03-2005, 01:41 PM

He'll hardly "benefiet" from it.

Coventrysucks
02-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I still say Volvo V50, why buy 2nd hand? Urgh :D

2nd hand has one main advantage, and one main disadvantage.

The disadvantage is that you cannot spec the car to your personal taste, although you'll probably find one close, and you don't really know what the previous owner got up to in it.

The advatage is that you miss out on the brunt of the depreceation.
I think the average is about 30% of the cars value in the first 3 years.

And, if you spend the money that you would have spent on a new car on a second hand one you'll get a much better spec car.

The V50 is quite a nice car, but I am unconvinced of its capabilities as a load-lugger. Too many estates sacrifice luggage space for a stylish look.

What is the point of an estate if it offers little extra space over its saloon counterpart though?

No, you won't! Toyota will be the only ones benefitting, because they can charge probably £7,000 more than the car is worth because it is "environmentally friendly" and has "technology".

Don't forget that you have virtually twice the number of powertrain components to go wrong.

Then as I previously mentioned, you will only get great fuel economy if you drive in towns all the time.

I think that a slightly used large family sized car, in the Passat/ Mondeo class, would be the best bet for long distance cruising, as that is what they are designed to do: ferrying reps along highways between sales conferences.

Karrmann
02-03-2005, 02:43 PM
well just in case you don'e know, the Prius has the excellamnt reliability according to Consumer Reports.

UCR
02-03-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.volvocars.co.uk/showroom/v50/_campaign/opendoors/default.htm

Worth seeing, 'turbo.... :D

Karrmann
02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
grat link jim.

Sweeney921
02-03-2005, 04:42 PM
grat link jim.
learn to spell

I would take the Prius if all I did was city driving. that isn't the situation, though, so I'm going with what I have right now

Matra et Alpine
02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
We (my family) may be getting a new Prius to use as our "large" car (for hauling stuff around and long trips).
Get the salesman to talk you through "hauling stuff" or better TRY IT.

I asked about tow bars on Prius when I did a test drive and the salesman nearly choked having to tell me that it CANNOT tow. So then I asked about putting horse feed in the boot and how much weight and I think he was about to explode.

The drivetrain is 'tuned' to optimise the use of the engine or the electric motor ON THE ASSUMPTION of the weight it is carrying. So it has quite a rigid and restricted weight limit. Go over it and the drivetrain "won't work properly" is what he ended up saying. I'm guessing that it will end up trying to push too much current through te electric motor and burn it out.

So 'caveat emptor' and ASK detailed question on what results you'll get. ( And post his/her replies here, I'd love to see how another sales person addresses that :) )

BTW< I tihnk you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's actually bloody good.
BUT not good enough to match the performance, economy, price or load towing/carrying of a diesel Picasso :)

Matra et Alpine
02-03-2005, 06:42 PM
well just in case you don'e know, the Prius has the excellamnt reliability according to Consumer Reports.
Hmm ,whic reporst, Karrmann ?
I'd be VERY surprised if they were that frank as there just arent' enough of them out there for long enough racking up the miles to make a blanket "excellent" conclusion !!!

spi-ti-tout
02-04-2005, 09:06 AM
In other news, McDonald's, Microsoft, General Motors, Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, and EA games have combined to make the greediest company in the world. Their headquarters will be situated Quebec.
You forgot Ford.... :rolleyes:

Turbonutter55
02-04-2005, 11:37 AM
A: hauling stuff here means carrying anything that won't fit in a FIAT 500.
B: We live in London. The Prius is exempt from the congestion charge, and we do 99% of our driving in the city.
C: we have friends who have them and like them.
D: we want the best city mileage we can get (without getting a diesel, my parents think they're dirty).

Matra et Alpine
02-04-2005, 12:18 PM
A: hauling stuff here means carrying anything that won't fit in a FIAT 500.
So that's pretty much EVERYTHING then :)

B: We live in London. The Prius is exempt from the congestion charge, and we do 99% of our driving in the city.
Wonder if "King Ken" is collecting back-handers from Toyota over that one :)

C: we have friends who have them and like them.
D: we want the best city mileage we can get (without getting a diesel, my parents think they're dirty).
Clearly C: is the most important input, if they're using it and it fits a similar lifestyle then go for it. They are not bad.
However, I see the old "diesel = dirty" myth still hangs around :(

Lagonda
02-04-2005, 01:39 PM
(without getting a diesel, my parents think they're dirty).
As stated before me, this is not true anymore. Not true at all.
Get a diesel. You get the advantage of torque which means less shifting, handy in city traffic.

Karrmann
02-04-2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/2841_image.jpg

/\ the elite among the greedy.

2ndclasscitizen
02-05-2005, 07:02 PM
new diesels get much better economy than hybrids. also, with the extra you have to pay for the hybrid, you don't see any see savings for 3-4 years

Turbonutter55
02-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Well, we tested the Prius. The demo car was a top-of-the-line T-Spirit model, so it was luxurious (full leather interior etc). The space looked goodish (we brought our tape measure). Well, enough of the interior. We couldn't take it up above 35, because we came late and the dealer said we had to get back before the dealership shut. At low speeds, it was great, almost silent, and with punchy acceleration when you want it. Putting the gas down did nasty stuff to the mpg meter, though, as it tells your mpg for the last second. We got it down to 9 accelerating hard up a hill (and yes, it can accelerate hard). In full-electric mode, it was completely silent, and we could pootle around at city-traffic speeds while burning no fuel. The gas engine cuts in at about 30, or for acceleration. Power is not great. Toyota claims a 106-mph max, but the dealer (despite realising we aren't exactly speed-demons) says he's cruised at 110. Torque is incredible. The 0-60 time of 10.9 might not make you think it, but then all the power arrives really low down, as an electric motor reaches peak torque at 0 rpm. Toyota rightly say the torque of around 300 lbft is comparable to diesel v6s, so you can really feel the SHOVE!