PDA

View Full Version : Votes: Comp 15 Weekly Personal Photography

sl55kleemann
02-05-2005, 05:44 AM
The entry are close for this week contest, vote will run before Monday, 7th february!

Standings so far: Fastautos:2, Egg Nog:1, Rebirth of Xar:3, McReis:3, SPH Ferrari:2, Niko Fx:1, Titanboy 24:2, Pterps:1, Karc:1.

Instructions for the vote:

* Interdict to vote for oneself

* Only one vote by anybody

*All the people of the forum can vote

someone to make the new comp 16 thread on monday, I'm not here

UCR
Enzo,
Autoport,
16/01/05,
3.2 Samsung
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88577
carlover
S7, Murciealago, Speed 12, and Supra Car Models
On my front porch
FujiFilm A2-10
January 31st, 2005
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88578
Fumacher
Lambo Murcielago
Hessing (dealership)
January 2005
Nikon 5400
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88579
werty
hardtop viper. Taken saturday at barrett jackson
http://img205.exs.cx/img205/9872/barretjackson20050688wh.jpg

sl55kleemann
02-05-2005, 05:46 AM
Mustang
Peugeot 106
Test day
Sony
2/1/05
http://img205.exs.cx/img205/3782/10004941ug4pg.jpg
85RX7
Old porsche, i cant remember the name of it sorry. Spotted going to the back of a petrol station while i was filling the air in my cars tyres.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88722
Pinin
- BMW M3
- Sytner, Nottingham
- January
- Canon PowerShot A85
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88787
<AAA-MOD>
1955 Ferrari 375 MM Pininfarina Berlinetta Sport Speciale (#0490AM)
Palm Beach Polo Club, Florida
January 23, 2005
Canon 20D
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88789
laxplayer98
Maserati Quattroporte
Leaving Foreign Cars Italia
Last Month
Nikon Coolpix 4300
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88821
Titanboy_24
Maserati Quattroporte
Feb 1st 2005
Canon Powershot A80
Ferrari of Ontario
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88822
sl55kleemann
PORSCHE 996 gt3 rs
Val of Vienne track in France
29/01/2005
Sony DSC P 72 3.2M PIXELS
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89097

danno
02-05-2005, 05:48 AM
ah now theres a few more options. i vote for titanboy. excellent shot.

UCR
02-05-2005, 05:56 AM
All are F-cking useless!
Go on lad :D

spi-ti-tout
02-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Don't worry, I'll be here to make the next comp :)
Ah, VERY tough challenge. hhhmmmmmm...

My Judgement: :)
1) Mustang
2)Titanboy_24
3)sl55kleemann (Damn it was a very hard spot for the third, sorry just couldnt pick)
3)<AAA-MOD>
4)Pinin
4)UCR
These are my top 4 choices. All VERY good pictures. Exellent level of skill. I love 'em all :)

ModsSuck
02-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Go on lad :D
Too many pics, cant decide so i go for one member only!!!!!

narb
02-05-2005, 06:29 AM
laxplayer98
...that pic is my new background:)

Rockefella
02-05-2005, 08:13 AM
loved the black rims on the yellow enzo, and the pic looked good jim. Got my vote, kleeman a very close second.

SPHFerrari
02-05-2005, 08:13 AM
too bad UCR's only vote doesnt really count ;):D look who voted for him

Rockefella
02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
too bad UCR's only vote doesnt really count ;):D look who voted for him
look again.

derekthetree
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
i go for mustang, the only shot in there with some action :)

Pinin
02-05-2005, 08:26 AM
<AAA-MOD> gets my vote!

werty
02-05-2005, 08:47 AM
now are we supposed to vote on what car we like the best, or what picture is the best looking besides what car it is, because its kinda getting annoying how only a few people have been able to win these comps, when in my opinion, their picture isnt that great

LTT
02-05-2005, 09:28 AM
now are we supposed to vote on what car we like the best, or what picture is the best looking besides what car it is, because its kinda getting annoying how only a few people have been able to win these comps, when in my opinion, their picture isnt that great

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the best picture, not just who saw the best car. Things like angle, clairty, and creativity should count more.

carlover
02-05-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the best picture, not just who saw the best car. Things like angle, clairty, and creativity should count more.
And that's why Pinin is winnin(Hey, it rhymes!). Sunset shots make very good backdrops. And his angle is incredibly good. I voted for him.

spi-ti-tout
02-05-2005, 10:14 AM
P.P.P
Purely Personal Preference :)

Rockefella
02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
I say 50/50, an incredible photograph of an apple shouldn't win this comp, along with a terrible spy-shot of a Dauer or something. However, when combined, should win the comp. That's why I liked Pinin's/UCR's/Kleeman's picture. I chose UCR because of the contrast and angle, the yellow and the black look stunning against each other.

sl55kleemann
02-05-2005, 10:31 AM
And that's why Pinin is winnin(Hey, it rhymes!). Sunset shots make very good backdrops. And his angle is incredibly good. I voted for him.
this pic will be perfect if the car was in the center but I vote for Pinin too ;)

Pinin
02-05-2005, 12:20 PM
this pic will be perfect if the car was in the center but I vote for Pinin too ;)
I intentionally didn't put the car in the centre because I wanted to get that tree in. ;)

<AAA-MOD>
02-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Allow me to get critical. Bear in mind that my remarks are just my opinion, and by all means I'm not an expert, but this is what I see:

UCR - subject selection is good, with the contrasting yellow and black, however the people in the back left are distracting. the image isn't very sharp either. some manual focus might help to pick an alternative focus point than the closest edge of the tire. The black is too dark. the rim would possibly look better with a longer exposure, but is difficult hand-held.

carlover - great subject, and sharp, however some aperture adjustment would allow more sharpness on the murci. the TVR is stuck in a shadow, but otherwise a great pic.

fumacher - all's good here. i would possibly move a bit further to the right or zoom in, to remove more of the parking lot cars. it could almost be a Pirelli advertisement.

werty - sharp, but too harsh with the flash, and the background becomes distracting. idealy in PS you could slightly blur and darken the background to give more direction to the viper.

mustang - great shot. i love the splash. the only thing that could make this shot better, was probably out of your control; the dull day. the only other unfortunate thing is that the splash covers so much of the car.

85RX7 - great shot. good location on that side of the building, out of the sun. great subject, but could be better without an occupant. could be centred in the frame a bit more too.

Pinin - agree with the others that the background is great, but the car is far too dark. the dark silhouette would be fine with nothing else in the background, but because of the adjacent car, the subject car is too lost. a long exposure would seriously inprove this shot. it looks like the camera is sitting on the ground so next time, set the exposure to 1-2 sec and use the timer so you don't shake it depressing the shutter button.

<AAA-MOD> - (yes, i'm gonna critique my own) front tire should be straight, not angled. exposure is slightly over-exposed, losing some of the interesting body lines on this car.

laxplayer98 - very interesting shot, but almost too shaky. great overall.

Titanboy_24 - great shot. great subject. unfortunately the car colour is a bit dark because it's in the shadow of the building. i love the Maserati sign reflection on the glass. perfectly sharp.

sl55kleemann - great shot. great subject. could be better either more above the subject, or a bit lower on it (probably not possible due to the shooting location). the colour and clarity is great, especially when it's so tough to shoot white cars.

AGAIN, I NEED TO REPEAT THAT THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS, and usually aren't worth sh*t. of course i probably overlooked the fact that some of the cameras used aren't fully capable of aperture and shutter adjustments.

PsychoChimp22
02-05-2005, 07:29 PM
I hate to give this to ucr, because its the same car as last time... lol
But i had to :(

Werty and Kleemann were awesome, gj guys. :)

carlover
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Allow me to get critical. Bear in mind that my remarks are just my opinion, and by all means I'm not an expert, but this is what I see:

UCR - subject selection is good, with the contrasting yellow and black, however the people in the back left are distracting. the image isn't very sharp either. some manual focus might help to pick an alternative focus point than the closest edge of the tire. The black is too dark. the rim would possibly look better with a longer exposure, but is difficult hand-held.

carlover - great subject, and sharp, however some aperture adjustment would allow more sharpness on the murci. the TVR is stuck in a shadow, but otherwise a great pic.

fumacher - all's good here. i would possibly move a bit further to the right or zoom in, to remove more of the parking lot cars. it could almost be a Pirelli advertisement.

werty - sharp, but too harsh with the flash, and the background becomes distracting. idealy in PS you could slightly blur and darken the background to give more direction to the viper.

mustang - great shot. i love the splash. the only thing that could make this shot better, was probably out of your control; the dull day. the only other unfortunate thing is that the splash covers so much of the car.

85RX7 - great shot. good location on that side of the building, out of the sun. great subject, but could be better without an occupant. could be centred in the frame a bit more too.

Pinin - agree with the others that the background is great, but the car is far too dark. the dark silhouette would be fine with nothing else in the background, but because of the adjacent car, the subject car is too lost. a long exposure would seriously inprove this shot. it looks like the camera is sitting on the ground so next time, set the exposure to 1-2 sec and use the timer so you don't shake it depressing the shutter button.

<AAA-MOD> - (yes, i'm gonna critique my own) front tire should be straight, not angled. exposure is slightly over-exposed, losing some of the interesting body lines on this car.

laxplayer98 - very interesting shot, but almost too shaky. great overall.

Titanboy_24 - great shot. great subject. unfortunately the car colour is a bit dark because it's in the shadow of the building. i love the Maserati sign reflection on the glass. perfectly sharp.

sl55kleemann - great shot. great subject. could be better either more above the subject, or a bit lower on it (probably not possible due to the shooting location). the colour and clarity is great, especially when it's so tough to shoot white cars.

AGAIN, I NEED TO REPEAT THAT THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS, and usually aren't worth sh*t. of course i probably overlooked the fact that some of the cameras used aren't fully capable of aperture and shutter adjustments.
Wow. Thanks for the advice. :)

werty
02-05-2005, 09:10 PM
indeed!

<AAA-MOD>
02-05-2005, 09:43 PM

i'm just thankful it wasn't taken rudely or full of ego. i'm slowly getting better with my own work and have really been studying the pro's shots. Wouter gave me quite a few pointers with my new camera down in Palm Beach too. Now i just need to save up for another lens or two.

the biggest thing i can suggest to everyone is to use a tripod whenever possible. of course i know it doesn't make sense at most shows but it really sharpens up the fine details, which will greatly help you when you want to enlarge your work for the walls! the tripod also allows you to try some longer exposures.

carlover
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
i'm just thankful it wasn't taken rudely or full of ego.
Nah. We know were not pros here. We don't take offense whenever someone gives us critique. In fact, we like it. Always nice to know what's wrong with your shots so you don't make the same mistake next time. :)

<AAA-MOD>
02-05-2005, 09:57 PM
i've learned a lot from my brother-in-law, who's a professional photographer. He shot the '58 corvette we featured a while back http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2125

he used a tripod for every one of those shots (except the interior shot that i took). with his 16mp camera and a tripod the detail in every one of those shots is phenomenal.

another habit i'm trying to get myself into is white-balancing everywhere i go, before i shoot. that will ensure correct colour. again referring to the vette pics, my interior shot needed a lot of Photoshop work to get the colour correct to what the others are.

more of his work here: www.brynstudio.com

carlover
02-05-2005, 10:07 PM

An incredible photograph of an apple shouldn't win this comp.
Hahaha. What a coincidence! The home page picture is an incredible shot of an apple! :D :D
BTW: <AAA-MOD>. Your Brother-in-law takes absolutely amazing pictures. :eek: (The food section made me hungry...)

Pinin
02-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the advice aaa-mod. I understand what you are saying bur when I took this pic, the camera I used was still pretty new to me and I still only knew how to use the auto function. :o I'll keep it in mind for my next photos though.

Rebirth of Xar
02-06-2005, 04:04 AM
shit i forgot to enter this week... btw this wouldve been my entry.. now its past the deadline so i cant use it next week..
http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/albums/album169/DSC09947.thumb.jpg (http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/album169/DSC09947)
________
easy vape (http://www.vaporshop.com/easy-vape-vaporizer.html)

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 04:50 AM
i've learned a lot from my brother-in-law, who's a professional photographer. He shot the '58 corvette we featured a while back http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2125

he used a tripod for every one of those shots (except the interior shot that i took). with his 16mp camera and a tripod the detail in every one of those shots is phenomenal.

another habit i'm trying to get myself into is white-balancing everywhere i go, before i shoot. that will ensure correct colour. again referring to the vette pics, my interior shot needed a lot of Photoshop work to get the colour correct to what the others are.

That pic is.....:eek:
Wait za zecond.....i've been there before....have I?
Ah I have, and I said it looked amazing :D .I still do, those pics are great. Didn't know your brother-in-law took 'em.

Btw, do you have any advise to a person who uses a Nokia 6600 as his Camera? :D
I've taken a few good shots. Not as good, but good IMO for the Nokia's photo capability. As soon as I get 'em on my PC I'll enter the photo comps.

Fumacher
02-06-2005, 05:04 AM
to <AAA-MOD>........ tnkx a lot for ur advice!
Though i have 2 questions....... do you always have to use a flash in indoor events??
And when you want to photograph a moving car in a good lighted area....how long do you expose the incoming light?
I recently photographed this Porsche and i exposed it for 1/250 of a sec.......is this good? :)

Again tnkx for ur advice! I have been looking for a while for someone who knows a lot abt photography ;)

<AAA-MOD>
02-06-2005, 06:45 AM
to <AAA-MOD>........ tnkx a lot for ur advice!
Though i have 2 questions....... do you always have to use a flash in indoor events??
And when you want to photograph a moving car in a good lighted area....how long do you expose the incoming light?
I recently photographed this Porsche and i exposed it for 1/250 of a sec.......is this good? :)

Again tnkx for ur advice! I have been looking for a while for someone who knows a lot abt photography ;)

well, in that instance with a moving object like a car, it's best to use a longer exposure to show movement. the background and wheels are slighly blurred from the motion, which is perfect. that what our eyes want to see to fully understand the image. you can use a really fast shutter speed on moving objects to be sure you catch them, but then you won't get the motion blur. the trick is to get good at following the object as you shoot.

i don't ever use a flash inside an auto show, except for some engine shots shadowed by the hood, or dark interior shots, and in both instances i would rather use a tripod and a long exposure instead, but not usually possible with the time they take to set up. i change my ISO to 400 or sometimes 800 to compensate for the light.

carlover
02-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Don't worry, I'll be here to make the next comp
Liar. :p