PDA

View Full Version : problems with large pixel count images :(

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 02:10 AM
hmm, I've thought about this a couple of times and other members have hit similar.

There IS a maximum image size ( Pixels horiz and veritcal ) thats UCP can handle in an attachment. BUT I cant' find what it is documented anywhere. So hopefully we can get the answer here from Wouter or Frank !!

I hit it. pages were 2500 pixels high and wouldnt load into UCP. They LOOK as if they're loading but the end screen says Done in status BUT IS EMPTY and the main post window isn't updated with the images. Reduced the pixel count ( and reduced the compression ) and voila they uplaod fine.

I suspect the jpg graphic generation for the thumbnail or teh file validity checking is failing and not reporting it back properly to the user. BAD :(

It woudl be easier of the pixel count wasn't limited and jsut the file size.
So what's the score, guys ??

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Yeah, everytime I try to upload a pic for my-now-dead thread on rally pics, the file sizes(pixel count) would always be TOO big to do it. I honestly couldn't bother resizing each and every one of them to do it. It'll take a lotta time and I really don't feel up to it. I agree with you a bit on that last line.

The thing is if a member(say me) wants to post a really nice picture of a rally car in action and its hi-res an all, I wouldn't be able to do it. Most of the time they're not really that big vertically but are very wide horizontally. So I think we need a bit of both really.

Isn't there any other way we can fix this?

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Isn't there any other way we can fix this?
There "SHOULD" be no reason why the grahic filter on UCP should not be able to create a thumbnail from a large image ( verical or horizontal ). For the site it "SHOULD" only care about the filesize.

From the way it responds with a blank window, I'm presuming it aborts with an error code and it's not being picked up properly.

So I'm hoping Wouter/.Frank can report this as a DEFECT and seek to get it fixed. There are valid reasons for limiting file size, but none for image size in an attachment :)

In the meantime, irfanview and paintshop both perform the reduction with 2 mouse clicks so it's not a great hassle for me once I need to perform the action to reduce the filesize anyway :)

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 06:06 AM
In the meantime, irfanview and paintshop both perform the reduction with 2 mouse clicks so it's not a great hassle for me once I need to perform the action to reduce the filesize anyway :)
Do they resize lots of files all at once? THEN I could bring up my thread from the dead :)

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Do they resize lots of files all at once? THEN I could bring up my thread from the dead :)
irfanview has a great batch operation, set the size, set the compression, select the files and press OK :)

It's the only reason I hang on to it as PaintShops batch is a bit clunky !!

shockwaveracing
02-06-2005, 06:27 AM

irfanview??? which version are you using? i have used it and it gave me nothing but grief, any resizing i did whether it was a batch conversion or singular just returned poor quality jagged edges on the objects in the pics...

the batch conversion operation was easy as but even with the compression set to 100% i couldn't get the image quality right...

do you experience these problems with it when you convert images???

henk4
02-06-2005, 06:28 AM
hmm, I've thought about this a couple of times and other members have hit similar.

There IS a maximum image size ( Pixels horiz and veritcal ) thats UCP can handle in an attachment. BUT I cant' find what it is documented anywhere. So hopefully we can get the answer here from Wouter or Frank !!

I was told that unlimited sizes would take too much server space (which cost money) and download times (which cost time). The current maximum sizes are obviously compromises.

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 06:31 AM
I was told that unlimited sizes would take too much server space (which cost money) and download times (which cost time). The current maximum sizes are obviously compromises.
We're not saying FILE size, Pieter, we mean IMAGE size.

So if you try to upload a 300Kb jpg file that is 2500x2500 pixels then it barfs. Doesn't return an error ( blank window ) and doesnt' accept the file. it's a bug. Image (pixels) size has very little to do with file size in a jpeg :)

It's a bug in the software :)

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 06:39 AM
irfanview??? which version are you using? ....
do you experience these problems with it when you convert images???
Version 3.91
BUT I didn't have any serious artefact problems with the previous version either.
Maybe I was just lucky :)
Here to judge for yourself, I've done an even more aggresive reduction and compression than I had the first time and the quality is still acceptable. The other reduction ( with PainShop ) is over in the Renault T2 thread in Matts hi res hidout. See for yourself.

shockwaveracing
02-06-2005, 06:58 AM
maybe it is just my version coz i use 3.92 and it just makes all the edges of the cars jagged... i will experiment a while...

the images appear much nicer than mine do Matra...

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Pieter, ever heard of netsitecorp?

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 07:13 AM
irfanview has a great batch operation, set the size, set the compression, select the files and press OK :)

It's the only reason I hang on to it as PaintShops batch is a bit clunky !!
Weeeeee....now I can bring more pics for the viewers delight :)

But the question is...does anybody want me to show more?

henk4
02-06-2005, 07:14 AM

No, not a clue what it might represent

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 07:20 AM
No, not a clue what it might represent
It's a very big website provider/webspace provider/server/host(sorry but idk what u call 'em) that belongs to my cousin. If you want, I can ask him to give us a little more webspace. He wouldn't charge me for anything.
Some examples:
http://www.mystrollers.com/
http://www.midtowncomics.com/

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 08:00 AM
There are hundreds of thousands of web space providers and connection providers.
They all cost money, they all have limits :)

henk4
02-06-2005, 08:05 AM
It's a very big website provider/webspace provider/server/host(sorry but idk what u call 'em) that belongs to my cousin. If you want, I can ask him to give us a little more webspace. He wouldn't charge me for anything.
Some examples:

Appreciate what you are doing, have no authority to come up with any answer :D

Matt
02-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I've hit this limit many times myself. I have been able to get pictures over the 2500 size to post, but only after multiple attempt. I, however, have never gotten anything larger than 3000 to post.

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Some examples:
i know you think it might be helpful, spi, but there are more issues when running a web site as a BUSINESS than just space.
So Wouter has had to evaluate bandwidth, storage space, php support, technical support, backup strategies, upgrade strategies, guaranteed uptimes, virus protection, DOS protection and a million other things in chosing a web space provider. Cost comes secondary to some of those :(
I'm sure Wouter may be interested to see if your cousin can match his current web host company. BUT I do know the UCP is hosted in a MAJOR centre with 24/7 support, not just a few dozen servers. UCP is currently running on a dedicated server - somethign many of the big providers now offer with the advent of the 'blade' servers.
I'm sure Wouter will consider the offer, but you're likely goign to have to get answers to all of the above AND SOME MORE before anyoen woudl switch.

A quick check I see there are currently 40Gb of attachments. The NetSiteCorp only offer 36Gb as their max tier without having to do "specials". Maybe they concentrate on the smaller companies and use less "mission critical" servers ?

Matt
02-06-2005, 08:43 AM
i know you think it might be helpful, spi, but there are more issues when running a web site as a BUSINESS than just space.
So Wouter has had to evaluate bandwidth, storage space, php support, technical support, backup strategies, upgrade strategies, guaranteed uptimes, virus protection, DOS protection and a million other things in chosing a web space provider. Cost comes secondary to some of those :(
I'm sure Wouter may be interested to see if your cousin can match his current web host company. BUT I do know the UCP is hosted in a MAJOR centre with 24/7 support, not just a few dozen servers. UCP is currently running on a dedicated server - somethign many of the big providers now offer with the advent of the 'blade' servers.
I'm sure Wouter will consider the offer, but you're likely goign to have to get answers to all of the above AND SOME MORE before anyoen woudl switch.

A quick check I see there are currently 40Gb of attachments. The NetSiteCorp only offer 36Gb as their max tier without having to do "specials". Maybe they concentrate on the smaller companies and use less "mission critical" servers ?

Heh, I alone have posted more than 5% (space-wise) of those attachments. :)

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 11:01 AM

Very sorry, was just trying to be helpful :o :(

Matra et Alpine
02-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Very sorry, was just trying to be helpful :o :(
I'm sure Wouter will appreciate the thought and contact you if he felt he wasn't getting a good deal.

I wasn't putting down your offer, spi, I was just trying to explain that sometimes all the OTHER things are important and your cousin might have issues trying to do some of those as a favour :)

spi-ti-tout
02-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm sure Wouter will appreciate the thought and contact you if he felt he wasn't getting a good deal.

I wasn't putting down your offer, spi, I was just trying to explain that sometimes all the OTHER things are important and your cousin might have issues trying to do some of those as a favour :)
I understand Sir! :)
It's just that I have this habit of trying to stick and help in whenever and wherever I can. Unfortunately I admit sometimes it just goes too far :(