PDA

View Full Version : Possible first cars...?

PsychoChimp22
02-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Hello friends and foes of UCP. Its just dawned upon me that in less then a month i turn 15, and well very soon after take a test to get my permit. I wanted to ask the loving (LOL) people of UCP to give me some advice on a first car. To make it more simpler, what do you think is a car (used of corse) that has power (if not out of the box, at least it should have lots of potential, something jap-cars are known for)and reliability for as low a price as possible. Obviously the first thing that came to mind was... DaDaDAAAAA HONDA CIVIC!!!! But naturaly the civic is a car that notoriously lacks any sence of individuality....

All ideas are welcome. Dont ask about money, im not sure. I have some saving bonds from my mum and da (ROFL, i love foreiners!! lol) which im still gettin, ever sence birth, which were ment for anything a really need... like transportation. By the time im 16, it well have massed quite a lot of money (most ofwhich isnt yet matured).

So, the tables open... Shoot away and thanks for your help. :)

Egg Nog
02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
For your first car, get something cheap (to purchase and insure) that you won't really care about. You can beat the living hell out of it without having to seriously worry about anything.

Also, that's the least expensive route, which is almost always the big deciding factor when a new driver is looking to buy a car. Just get a beater. It really is the best way to go. Save your hopes and dreams for your second car, when you'll probably have more money and when you'll definitely have more experience.

fa22_raptor
02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Wow! Can you guys drive without supervision at 16?!! We can only do that at 18 (one more year for me!) We start learning at 16 though.
As for the car, I'd tend to agree with E-N, especially without much experience.

Lagonda
02-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Count your money and then come back. Or take Egg Nog's sound advice and buy a beat up car. Did they ever sell the Alfa 145 and 146 in the states ? That's a really cool car. I know that the 164 was sold over there but that one is maybe a bit too big as a first car. Too bad you miss out on a lot of cool European cars. You're stuck with either good but fugly Japanese cars or semi good looking but crap American cars.

But, as stated: giving advice without a budget is pointless. Think about insurance and normal costs as well (maintenance, replacment parts and just having to money to fill her up).

PS: I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm sorry but I just can't get over it: People should never be allowed to drive a car at your age.

shr0olvl
02-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Does the car have to be new or used or can it be both ? and even a estimate of how much money you can spend would help out alot ;)

Quiggs
02-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Get something you won't mind wrecking, because it's very likely that you will hit something before you're 18. I got lucky, I only broke a bumper cover and grill sliding into a fire hydrant. But had it been another car, I'd have been screwed.

Insurance and gas costs are definitely important to look at. I'd suggest looking at an older Subaru Legacy, Volvo wagons (indestructable tanks, a few of my HS friends drove them), VW Mk2 and 3 Golfs, and older Ford Tauruses. If AWD is a must, I'd go for the Legacy, or even a Justy if you can find one. My aunt had one while she was in college, and it got her to and from college (5 hours away) in many snow storms, and she didn't get stuck once.

Whatever you get, make sure to get a good service manual like a Bentley or Chilton's, and learn some basic maintenance and repair. Even little shops will nickel and dime you to death on things you could have fixed yourself.

PsychoChimp22
02-09-2005, 09:07 PM
For your first car, get something cheap (to purchase and insure) that you won't really care about. You can beat the living hell out of it without having to seriously worry about anything.

Also, that's the least expensive route, which is almost always the big deciding factor when a new driver is looking to buy a car. Just get a beater. It really is the best way to go. Save your hopes and dreams for your second car, when you'll probably have more money and when you'll definitely have more experience.

Ya, on the way home from school everyday (a 3 mile walk.. :() some friends and i used to always see this brown Mercury Monteray, $250!! We all said that we were gonna pitch in like 50 bucks and buy it but.. :mad:... i sold pretty quick. Anyway, ive always said, if i could get me up a hill id take it, and thats probably what ill do for my first car. :)

But what i was wondering, is within that catagory, whats a quick and durable car?? It would be nice to have it under $2500.

PsychoChimp22
02-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Just to clarify, the monterey was the mid-late 60's modle, not the 50s one or the new minivan.. lol

Quiggs
02-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Taurus SHO. You can find them dirt cheap, they're not that much to insure, good on gas. And they're suprisingly quick. Only thing is, you might have to settle for an automatic, as I'm not sure if any of the later gen models came with sticks. Check out eBay and AutoTrader.

PsychoChimp22
02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Holy crap that car is hidious... lol
Im not sure tho, it has a nice lookin engine.
I guess it could work, you ARE right about the price.

Egg Nog
02-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Ya, on the way home from school everyday (a 3 mile walk.. :() some friends and i used to always see this brown Mercury Monteray, $250!! We all said that we were gonna pitch in like 50 bucks and buy it but.. :mad:... i sold pretty quick. Anyway, ive always said, if i could get me up a hill id take it, and thats probably what ill do for my first car. :)

But what i was wondering, is within that catagory, whats a quick and durable car?? It would be nice to have it under $2500.

It's really awesome to actually see someone respond like you did. I must say, most of the time young enthusiasts always seem to have ridiculously high standards, and end up with a decent car and no money, and possibly in a ditch. Congratulations on having a great sense of direction and practicality.

Make sure you have loads of fun with your second car :D

my porsche
02-10-2005, 05:52 PM
It's really awesome to actually see someone respond like you did. I must say, most of the time young enthusiasts always seem to have ridiculously high standards, and end up with a decent car and no money, and possibly in a ditch. Congratulations on having a great sense of direction and practicality.

ahem, are you refering to me? :D :p

Egg Nog
02-10-2005, 05:58 PM
ahem, are you refering to me? :D :p

I was referring to him.

PsychoChimp22
02-10-2005, 07:30 PM

lol, thanks!!!

Ive always been atracted to those kinda cars, old muscle beaters. Maybe its because there are way to many used honda acords out there, everything cheap is japanese and has no style. If i had a choice between a $3000 honda or that $250 monteray.. damn... id take the merc any day, its cheap and old but it does have style. Only bad thing is the gas milage, probably even worse than when it was new... :p

85RX7
02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=fa22_raptor]Wow! Can you guys drive without supervision at 16?!! We can only do that at 18 (one more year for me!) We start learning at 16 though.[QUOTE]

It's 15 1/2 here :p.

looking back on that now, i wouldnt let a 15 1/2 year old drive:p

85RX7
02-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Get a n12 Nissan EXA (NX in the states).

I got one a few months ago. they get about 500k's to 50L of gas

They are only 900kg, which allows them to be quite quick. The turbo model could take down a Porsche 928.

Mine is getting back from the shop tonight, just got a respray.
Ill post some recent pix tomorrow or somthing.

Here r some pix with the crap paint

85RX7
02-10-2005, 07:44 PM
BTW, it only cost me the equivalant of $500USD:p

PsychoChimp22
02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Cool, well atleast that car has style... :D
But i dont know if ive ever even sen one... must be sorta rare? (atleast here in the states)

BTW: i wouldnt let a 15 year old drive either.

Quiggs
02-10-2005, 09:20 PM
A later model of 85RX7's car...
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2348 Pretty neat little car. The 2.0 with a 5 speed sounds like a good base for an auto-X car. The review says it's a good handling car.

Spastik_Roach
02-10-2005, 10:20 PM
The one that Quiggs just posted....really sucks.

I've read alot of reviews that really diss it.

85RX7
02-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Just got my car back!!!

It is painted!!!
Pics in a sec!

85RX7
02-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Here r those pix

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244575&posted=1#post244575

Lagonda
02-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Quit the caps and don't talk shit.

Turbonutter55
02-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I also turn 15 soon. I'll get my dad's old car, a 1965 Volvo PV544 Sport. That, I think, is close to the perfect car for a 15-year-old. Everything is manual, so if you can drive it, you can drive anything. It's simply built, so you learn to work on your own car. It has 80 or 90 horsepower and RWD (so is fun, but not too likely to crash) and is very tuneable for later (I plan to get it up to 150 horsepower normally aspirated, the way volvo did for their 544S race cars). Finally, it's a Volvo and built like a tank, so it's safe.

Lagonda
02-11-2005, 01:21 PM
I also turn 15 soon. I'll get my dad's old car, a 1965 Volvo PV544 Sport. That, I think, is close to the perfect car for a 15-year-old. Everything is manual, so if you can drive it, you can drive anything. It's simply built, so you learn to work on your own car. It has 80 or 90 horsepower and RWD (so is fun, but not too likely to crash) and is very tuneable for later (I plan to get it up to 150 horsepower normally aspirated, the way volvo did for their 544S race cars). Finally, it's a Volvo and built like a tank, so it's safe.
That's such a beautiful car. Whatever you do, don't crash it. And I would not tune it, it takes away the charm.

my porsche
02-11-2005, 02:55 PM
does it spew black exhaust everywhere and a have a "more trees less Bush" sticker like all the other old volvos? :p

PsychoChimp22
02-11-2005, 10:47 PM
everybody please report Big Dog's post as a bad post, i just did... lol
Does anybody know how much a 240sx (s13) costs in the US??? (wa)

Turbonutter55
02-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Well, for what you're saying about not tuning the volvo, don't worry. I plan to make any mods entirely historically accurate. Strictly, it's not tuning, it's making it into a road-legal, historically-accurate race replica.
And myporsche, no it does not have any bumper stickers, and the smoke is entirely whitish-grey!

my porsche
02-12-2005, 08:37 AM
And my porsche the smoke is entirely whitish-grey!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D

Lagonda
02-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Well, for what you're saying about not tuning the volvo, don't worry. I plan to make any mods entirely historically accurate. Strictly, it's not tuning, it's making it into a road-legal, historically-accurate race replica.
And myporsche, no it does not have any bumper stickers, and the smoke is entirely whitish-grey!

Be prepared to spend a fortune on it if you're going to that. Good luck with it.

Turbonutter55
02-13-2005, 04:03 AM
These should give you some idea of what I want to do with it.
http://www.volvoadventures.com/544PVspec.html
http://www.volvoadventures.com/544SRallyspec.html
We have a friend who used his in winter, and had a 1.3 litre VW engine in the trunk as ballast!

Matra et Alpine
02-13-2005, 06:30 AM
The later Volvo Amazon's were the most successful Volvo rally car.

not hard as about the only other one they ever tried serious rally competition with was the huge 240 :)

Turbonutter55
02-13-2005, 11:28 AM
The 544 won the Acropolis Rally a few times (and several others in Sweden).

Matra et Alpine
02-13-2005, 11:45 AM
The 544 won the Acropolis Rally a few times
Once in 64, it was an Amazon that one in 65. The only 2 Volvo wins on the event :(

However, both were great cars and each won the European Rally Championship ( 63 and 64 ) , often "unexpected" winners on events given their size and low power :)

TheStig
02-13-2005, 11:46 PM
This car just caught my eye, its more than id like to spend but i think its possible, and its very nice. Lets jsut use this as a bencemark for the ceiling price, infact, how about 10000 tops, dont wanna spend more than that. The reason is i might be able to get some help fomr the parents, but nothing substantial.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=177461129&dealer_id=81598&car_year=2001&make=MAZDA&distance=25&lang=en&max_price=&model=MIATA&end_year=2006&min_price=&first_record=26&pager.offset=25&certified=&address=98125&search_type=both&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1981&cardist=5#vdptop