PDA

View Full Version : Should Smoking be allowed in Public Places?

spi-ti-tout
02-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Well, its something I personally hate. And I know others who do too. It harms the smoker, and the passive-smoker even more. Me being actually VERY allergic-type to them, I get the biggest hit.

So I want to know what you guys think. We can't stop them from smoking at all, but we can stop them from putting danger on other peoples lives.
(PS. I am aware that there are smokers on this forum)

henk4
02-13-2005, 08:52 AM
yes.., but now since the title of thread has changed,

NOOOO

my porsche
02-13-2005, 08:54 AM
i hate the smell of them!

haha bono got srrested in his own hotel for smoking in the tea room :p

Sweeney921
02-13-2005, 08:54 AM
it would be nice, but i don't think it's ever gonna happen. there's waaaaaaaaayyyyy too many people who smoke.

Matt
02-13-2005, 09:02 AM
it would be nice, but i don't think it's ever gonna happen. there's waaaaaaaaayyyyy too many people who smoke.

Public intoxication is illegal and a lot of people drink...

Matt
02-13-2005, 09:02 AM
The title of the thread and the question in the poll don't match and it takes a bit to figure out how to answer...You should change one or the other or you 're going to get a lot of people who said they accidentally voted the opposite of what they wanted to.

my porsche
02-13-2005, 09:04 AM
no, exceeeding the intoxication limit is illegal, most people drink socially, except high schoolers, they drink to get drunk

spi-ti-tout
02-13-2005, 09:08 AM
The title of the thread and the question in the poll don't match and it takes a bit to figure out how to answer...You should change one or the other or you 're going to get a lot of people who said they accidentally voted the opposite of what they wanted to.
Ah right, sorry about that...
I was feeling lazy so I didn't want to type much :o :p

Can a mod change it to the title of the thread please?

baddabang
02-13-2005, 09:11 AM
NYS law prohibits smoking in any public places. Bars, Hotels, even at some outdoor events. So Yes I think if you have to smoke dont endanger others lives.

Sweeney921
02-13-2005, 09:24 AM
yea, I was pointing out that even if the government outlawed public smoking, people would still do it.

Cotterik
02-13-2005, 09:59 AM
smoking should only be allowed in a persons home or private property in my view, public smoking is hazardous and it stinks. In Liverpool (England) law is undergoing a new public smoking ban which will hopefully spread across all main cities in the country.

drakkie
02-13-2005, 10:10 AM
well, it is already forbiddden in ALL public places here in the netherlands.that includes restaurants, bars etcetera !!!

Matra et Alpine
02-13-2005, 10:13 AM
?? Even the "cafes" in Amsterdam ??

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-13-2005, 10:31 AM
they'd never make a law like this but id allow smoking everywhere, but for every puff u take, any one around you is allowed a free punch to ur face, itll stop smoking real damn fast

Matt
02-13-2005, 10:48 AM
no, exceeeding the intoxication limit is illegal, most people drink socially, except high schoolers, they drink to get drunk

You're not legally intoxicated until you're over the limit. So, public intoxication is illegal. It requires other things to be arrested for it, however, the requirements are very subjective. You must be a danger to yourself or others. Or you must disruptive to the peace. One of those, in conjunction with being legally drunk, will land you in jail and with a fine.

d-quik
02-13-2005, 10:53 AM
outdoors should be legal in my opinion

as for indoors, it should be the choice of the property owner

im really open to persuation right now

tallguynate
02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
We just voted on a clean-air act in my city and it passed, making it illegal to smoke in public places. It has made it much nicer to go to the bars without all of the smoke.

By the way, I was in Chicago about a month ago, and Bono got on my elevator at the hotel. He was drunk, holding a mug in his hand, and was complaining about the Guiness to us on the way up. :)

carlover
02-13-2005, 11:38 AM
they'd never make a law like this but id allow smoking everywhere, but for every puff u take, any one around you is allowed a free punch to ur face, itll stop smoking real damn fast
That would be the best law ever. I'd stand next to a guy who was smoking and beat the crap out of that b@$t@rd.

d-quik
02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
you're full of yourself aren't you carlover:cool:

UCR
02-13-2005, 12:39 PM
I use to, but i think in....

Pubs - yes.
Clubs- no.
Restaraunts - in a part - yes.
Cafe - in a part -yes.
Shops - no.
Streets - yes.

I think canabis should be legalised, not in public though.

Sweeney921
02-13-2005, 01:03 PM
You're not legally intoxicated until you're over the limit. So, public intoxication is illegal. It requires other things to be arrested for it, however, the requirements are very subjective. You must be a danger to yourself or others. Or you must disruptive to the peace. One of those, in conjunction with being legally drunk, will land you in jail and with a fine.
lol, have you had these laws affect you first hand? ;) you seem to know a lot about them

Coventrysucks
02-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't like the idea of curbing people's freedoms, but I don't really get along with smoke.

It usually gives me a blinding headache (as does mint after a while, strange but true) so it can make going out a bit of a downer.

In most outdoor places it isn't a problem, but public places indoors should have more seggregation.

Current "smoking" and "non smoking" areas just don't work, due to brownian motion.

henk4
02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
we have since last year declared our house a smoke-free zone, also during birthday parties etc. After some intial protests of our heavily smoking neighbours they have now accepted that, and sometimes escape through the backdoor to smoke in the garden. The advantages:

The next morning the house does only smell like beer and not like tobaccosmoke.
The bill for dry cleaning our smoke infested clothes is much lower now.

Especially the second point is still a point of concern when going to public places, it is such a nuisance when the smell in your clothes remind you where you were

Spastik_Roach
02-13-2005, 01:40 PM
In NZ a law just passed for smoking to be illegal inside Pubs etc, smokers have to go outside, or into a garden bar to smoke. Seems fine to me.

My mum smokes, and it really annoys me cause it gives me a headache, but meh she isn't doing much about it.

UCR
02-13-2005, 01:44 PM
My mum smokes, and it really annoys me cause it gives me a headache, but meh she isn't doing much about it.
Wet her siggy's and rip them in half.

Stop her, trust me.

derekthetree
02-13-2005, 02:27 PM
No, It Kills People

Sweeney921
02-13-2005, 03:12 PM
My mum smokes, and it really annoys me cause it gives me a headache, but meh she isn't doing much about it.if your mom knows it's bothering you, and she doesn't do anything to stop it, she's really doing you a misdeed. make sure she knows bout this

crisis
02-13-2005, 04:18 PM
It is illegal here to smoke within 5 metres of the bar (inside the pub) supposedly to protect the bar staff. It seems the patrons can rot. Smoking is banned in our major football arena also which is outdoors. I personally believe as long as the smoke is not bothering anyone else it is ok. The problem is there are the miltant smokers who think and claim aloud that it is their right and that their right extends to gassing everyone else with it. The ultimate selfish extension of it is people who smoke in their house and car with children.
I do feel sorry for smokers and have some of my mates give it up which is hard> Ive also seen some fail (at this stage). I also cant see how people can affor a a pack or two a day. In the end I think the laws and cost will force people to smoke less which may open the door for some to give up completely.

Blue Supra
02-13-2005, 05:03 PM
yeh its illegal to smoke in some clubs but theres a HUGE row with unions and stuff about smoking in pubs, theres non smoking areas atm but they want to ban it all together. personally i go to pubs to drink and watch games and whatever and smoke is just somthing that goes along with it. i hate it, but if people want to slowly kill themselves then im not going to stop them...

Spastik_Roach
02-13-2005, 07:42 PM
if your mom knows it's bothering you, and she doesn't do anything to stop it, she's really doing you a misdeed. make sure she knows bout this

Don't get me wrong, she is a really awesome mum, its just that she isn't bothering to try give it up.

w00t 4000th post.

spi-ti-tout
02-14-2005, 06:36 AM
outdoors should be legal in my opinion
What if you were the smoke-allegic type, say in a sport stadium. The guy next to you is smoking, which is bothering you and not letting you watch the game you paid to watch. Would you say the same thing then?

Koenigsegg_CC
02-14-2005, 10:16 AM
I think canabis should be legalised, not in public though.

if cannabis was legalised, the prices for it would explode due to tax. The current law is fine by me :p

Ferrari Tifosi
02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I smoke, I don't have a problem with going outside to smoke when I'm at a restaurant. A local bar here came up with a way so that everyone is happy, smoking at the downstairs bar, an no smoking at the upstairs bar. Simple.

Mustang
02-14-2005, 04:43 PM
nope i dont really like smoking so i would like it better if it wasnt allowed

RS6
02-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't think it should be banned in Pubs. Your not exactly doing your body any good drinking either.

carlover
02-14-2005, 06:28 PM
you're full of yourself aren't you carlover:cool:
I hate smokers. How bout this? For every negative post you make, anyone on the ultimate car page boardes can punch you in the face. Uh, mentally. I guess...

Coventrysucks
02-15-2005, 03:37 AM
I don't think it should be banned in Pubs. Your not exactly doing your body any good drinking either.

The thing is when you drink, there is no way that your alcoholic intake can damage the liver of the person next to you.

Unless you bottle them in the liver...

spi-ti-tout
02-15-2005, 04:19 AM
The thing is when you drink, there is no way that your alcoholic intake can damage the liver of the person next to you.

Unless you bottle them in the liver...
Yeah but I think the point he's trying to make is the fact that it does nobody good. So why do it?

andy.muc
02-15-2005, 04:48 AM

Right you can choose to damage your own body by drinking but you can't choose suffering passive smoking.