PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with headphones

Spastik_Roach
02-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Anyone know if these are decent headphones?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics/Stereo-home-theatre/Headphones/auction-22325357.htm

Thanks in advance..

Rockefella
02-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Prob. not.. any headphones under 50 or 100 dollars are usually shitty. Do what I did and buy a pair of good Sennheisers off a trusted EBay source, its worth it.

Spastik_Roach
02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Meh can't afford exspensive headphones mate. and I mean CAN'T. 30 bucks NZ max is my budget....

Cotterik
02-14-2005, 07:56 PM
^ he knows his stuff, like me :p

Sennheiser is the brand you want to look at mate, you cant fail them. Excellent quality headphones! my dad has a pair, 200 pounds they cost him and theyre super quality, i have some 100 quid ones too. If you're looking for some ear-phones go for the sennheiser mx500's, search on ebay you're bound to find some. Theyre the award winning earphones, by far the best out there, i wud know bcoz i have some :) Altec Lansing are a good make, however. Just look for some Sennheisers first

Rockefella
02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Meh can't afford exspensive headphones mate. and I mean CAN'T. 30 bucks NZ max is my budget....
I understand, just hitting you with what I know. Everything at that price range sounds the same. Those are probably good for the money but I'll check out a review of headphones and tell you what came out on top for the price range.
Edit: here you go (http://reviews.cnet.com/4502-7877_7-0.html?tag=pageNav&orderby=-7eRating&qt=&100021id=10194755&1000036id=) , not sure if some of these are offered in NZ but you get the idea.

SPHFerrari
02-14-2005, 07:58 PM
yo umm. idk wut i wisz goin to say.

Spastik_Roach
02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Here we go, some Sennheisers in my budget, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics/Portable-audio/Other/auction-22605215.htm

Rockefella
02-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Here we go, some Sennheisers in my budget, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics/Portable-audio/Other/auction-22605215.htm
meh, dont even bother w/ those. Those headphones just cost that much because of the brand. I recommend a descent pair of Sony's for your price range. Their sound quality is good/crisp.

Spastik_Roach
02-14-2005, 08:36 PM
meh, dont even bother w/ those. Those headphones just cost that much because of the brand. I recommend a descent pair of Sony's for your price range. Their sound quality is good/crisp.

You sure? Cotterik said they were good.. i'll wait for some more opinions..

Rockefella
02-14-2005, 08:37 PM
You sure? Cotterik said they were good.. i'll wait for some more opinions..
well, Sennheiser makes good headphones in the 75-500 dollar price range. Those are good, but you can get better for the price. Plus, those are uncomfortable, trust me.

Spastik_Roach
02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
OK I think I might save up some money and invest in a nice set of headphones, maybe around 80 dollars NZ?
BTW I don't want big bulky ones, those mini headphones before are about the biggest I want, I need some good headphones for my MP3 player.

Spastik_Roach
02-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Are Koss Headphones any good?

whiteballz
02-14-2005, 10:03 PM
i stick with my earlyer recomendations, altec lansing are great for the price, 50 AUD, for the pair im using thes very second, and the quality is great.

pimento
02-14-2005, 10:41 PM
I use Philips earphones, everyone I know who's borrowed (the spare pair) love the sound output. I think they're about $20-$30, I got mine in Thailand (no, they're not fakes) and they're great. Fat bass (for earphones) and good volume. They're a little chunky in the ear, but it's worth it. And you get used to it fast. Can't beat em for the price.

Blue Supra
02-15-2005, 12:16 AM
i use kenwood and pioneer...
in my car...

i dont use headphones really. i have a pair of sony earphones that came with my discman and theyre pretty good...

IBrake4Rainbows
02-15-2005, 01:00 AM
iPod headphones are pretty good, excellent clarity but hideously expensive for what really is a set of earphones. expect to pay about $50-70 retail, you may find cheaper on the Internet but remember not to go for the cheapo ones, chances are they are nothing like the real thing.

Matra et Alpine
02-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Depnds what you want them for.
So let us know the kind of music and "feel" that you like.

Mini phones will struggle to produce any decent bass.
Even Senheissers pro cans arent' great for heavy rock base lines.
But assumign you're not trying to balance a recording :) then there are a few questions.....

Do you WANT in-ear, over ear or fully enclosed ?
The latter tend to produce the better bass but can get a little "sweaty" :( in hot climes.
How LOUD do you want it to be and if LOUD how much hassle will you get from those aroudn whlie listening.

Senheisser, Koss, Altec, Philips and even Sony produce some excellent cans BUT sadly the cheap end of the market is built to a price and trades on the name. Personally I find Philips and Sony cheap to be too tinny. Cheap Sennheissers tend to have muddled base and the last Koss I listened to were electro-statics worth 800 quid - but MAN they sounded good :)

What kind of music do you listen to ?
If modern rock/pop then the difference won't be major in sound stage and impact of the mid/upper range.
BUT if you're listening to classical, electronic or 'live' acoustics then you need to really try cans yourself.

The problem with headphones is that more than speakers they interact with the individuals ears - the shape, volume, sensitivity all become MAJOR factors over speaker choice. So sadly more so than most items in a decent reproduction suite cans are VERY individual.
Again only fully-enclosed can reduce the bass line to external listeners.

Spastik_Roach
02-15-2005, 08:18 PM
No Fully Enclosed, they're generally just way too big..

I'm mainly listening to stuff like Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins, that sorta stuff..