PDA

View Full Version : new FW 26

frebar
01-06-2004, 06:09 AM
What a car!!!!!New FW26 unveiled (http://www.bmw.williamsf1.com/02-C40E8399085B750231A4ACD27ACFC64D/ms/en/4_serien/41_f1/414_highlights/4141_bildergalerie/index.html)

DasModell
01-06-2004, 08:12 AM
what a freak looking nose .. i laugh when i first seen the pictures

bum-man
01-06-2004, 08:51 AM
well if it wins the races who cares...i personally like the MP4-19 better and i still think its the car to beat.

defchef
01-07-2004, 03:18 AM
the nose looks really strange...
of course the MP4-19 will be the car to beat(hope so)

the construction looks more stable !!?? (FW 26)

white devil
01-07-2004, 06:14 AM
guy s it is strange looking .....

but why do you think all cars r similar looking because it was the best way to let the car be stable on high speed and with the wind so this car has a new design that might be better than the older one and if so you will see all the other cars copying it ....So it s eather they will copy williams or copy williams :D
hey guys did you see the video :eek: go and look :cool:

bum-man
01-07-2004, 02:41 PM
the fact is the only radically new design on the new FW26 is the new front nose, other than that it retains the same basic rear end (although midified slightly). where as the new mp4-19 is a completely new design and shows a lot of potential...the only thing i worry about the new mp4-19 is reliability at the moment, since the engine compartment is so compact.

Alfahollic
01-08-2004, 04:13 AM
guy s it is strange looking .....

but why do you think all cars r similar looking because it was the best way to let the car be stable on high speed

You are pure genius. I wouldnt want any other car in the grid to look like that so we can laugh at it. As for the MP4-19 I wonder what coloured smoke will come out the exhaust this year.

bum-man
01-08-2004, 12:50 PM
the ilmor only blew up once during the 2003 season if thats what you were reffering too.

JJ72
01-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Surely will be a brilliant season.

very "Williams" indeed. Engineering at it's best.

(But non-technically speaking, usually the beautiful car wins :p )

Homem de Gelo
01-10-2004, 05:43 AM
The FW26 is a very exciting car and very promissing. It's has gone in the opposite direction teams have been going in quite a while and now we are caught wondering if a new trend will emerge.

I really hope it's successful, but I hope the MP4-19 is more. ;)

white devil
01-10-2004, 07:32 AM
hey dude does anybody have the performance list for this beast :confused:

bum-man
01-10-2004, 01:15 PM
here are the testing times today
-source is f1-live.com
1. R. Schumacher Williams-BMW FW26 1'16"359 82 laps
2. D. Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 1'17"074 104 laps
3. T. Sato BAR-Honda 005/B 1'17"945 103 laps
4. K. Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 1'18"054 87 laps
5. M. Gene Williams-BMW FW25B 1'18"175 93 laps
6. F. Massa Ferrari F2003-GA 1'18"681 62 laps
7. A. Davidson BAR-Honda 005/B 1'18"830 95 laps
8. L. Badoer Ferrari F2003-GA 1'18"841 79 laps

if you are looking specific specs such as engine performance your not going to get it because almost everything in F1 is speculation, the teams dont want to give away vital information ya know. :D

lfb666
01-13-2004, 08:36 AM
The front nose is ugly!

white devil
01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
The front nose is ugly!
who cares??? is it a car that people will drive it on the road :confused: as long as the performance is good and it kikss asses ...then that is what we care about :p

fede
01-13-2004, 02:57 PM
yeah, the nose its very ugly, but it is so ugly that its kind of cute :p
despite its uglyness, it must be very good in terms of performance though

Bear87G
01-14-2004, 07:23 PM
The FW26 is using the twin kell front suspension design to allow for full unaffected flow through the underside of the nose to the plank and eventually to the diffuser. The so called tusks on the nose provide an emense amount of free untouched air space for the air to enter from. The twin keel uses two "keels or carbon fiber ribs along the edges of the monocoque (spelling) to attach the lower control arm to. With a single keel in the center the contol arm or A arm has to protrude into this air space under the nose causing "dirty" air as the aerodynamicist's call it. Other than the front nose and diffuser the car seems to be unchanged and the German power has already shown its reliability with no problems yet.

The MP4-19 is in many ways a far more changed car. The engine bonnet and coke bottle shape has been used so far that the cooling og the car is suffering badly. This is part of the reason the mp4-18 never ran. The 18 had internal exhaust within the diffuser. and now the 19 has them in the now normal periscope form first seen from Ferrari. The 19 has exhaust cooling air escape routes from the exhaust covers the hole to the side of the side pod, as well as at the end of the coke bottle shape near the diffuser. Mclaren used the lower nose to shorten the length of the nose cone as well as provide further downforce and a clear path to either side of the nose to the underbody. As bum-man said it is not the Engine that is having a problem and don't expect the German engine to have any such problems other than cooling. Ohter than cooling the 19 should be a very competitive car and do well in the championship.

http://scarbsf1.com/MAC-rear-04.jpg

If image doesn't work go to scarbsf1.com/mac19.html it is a great site for tech and were I myself have learned quite a lot.

P.S. Renault's new car on the 20th and it will be mystifying.

bum-man
01-14-2004, 09:12 PM
nice post about both cars. itll definatly be an interesting 2004 season...i cant wait.

DasModell
01-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Sauber were among the first teams to have a twin keel car . in 2001 . but this year they changed back to single .. Willi Rampf said that they did that because they wanted a stronger chassis .. but i have to say that i think it was because the C23 is more or less a F2003-GA wich was a single keel car

the FW26 had some gearbox problems .. JPM stating this in Autosport
also it appears that the ugly nose is design expecially for a twin keel design and will not work as good with a single keel
the radiators intake appears to be very small even compared to the ferrari ones and it is said that the BMW engine is design to work at higher temperatures compared to other engines ..

i heard that Ferrari will also have twin-keel .. but this is only roumors :)

Alfahollic
01-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Sauber were among the first teams to have a twin keel car . in 2001 . but this year they changed back to single .. Willi Rampf said that they did that because they wanted a stronger chassis .. but i have to say that i think it was because the C23 is more or less a F2003-GA wich was a single keel car

the FW26 had some gearbox problems .. JPM stating this in Autosport
also it appears that the ugly nose is design expecially for a twin keel design and will not work as good with a single keel
the radiators intake appears to be very small even compared to the ferrari ones and it is said that the BMW engine is design to work at higher temperatures compared to other engines ..

i heard that Ferrari will also have twin-keel .. but this is only roumors :)

I certainly hope Ferrari doesnt use a twin keel layout.

DasModell
01-15-2004, 06:11 AM
why not . it does have benefits

Homem de Gelo
01-15-2004, 06:21 AM
I certainly hope Ferrari doesnt use a twin keel layout.

I doubt it, especially after the realease of the new Sauber.

Bear87G
01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Peter Sauber's new car the C23 is what I would call an exact replica of last years Ferrari other than the nose cone. If you think back to late last season there was talk of Sauber buying the F2003- GA chassis to become more competitive and get closer to Ferrari. It appears that this deal has indeed been conveined and Sauber should be quite competitive and possiblly up with the top 4 teams. The single keel design has obvioulsy been added because this is Ferrari's design and the defecting of the twin keel is just one more idea to show that Sauber is copy Ferrari to the largest extent.

Ferrari meanwhile have kept under wraps what ever they are doing very well considering I have not seen any info on the car nor and speculation as to the areas which will be new. I have heard that now Ferrari and Mclaren as well as Sauber will look into the tusked nose of the Williams. The first two will proceed immediately to the wind tunnel while Sauber has to wait till his new ultra fantastic wind tunnel is ready sometime between March and May.

If you look at some of the side by side views of the Williams and the Ferrari or any other of the top contenders you will see that Williams hold the key to having the lowest sidepods on the grid. The compromise being that Williams has not been able to sculpt the rear into such the coke bottle form that the other teams have. The FW-26/25/24 sidepods are all quite square if you notice or rectangular unlike Ferrari's and the new Sauber's which are tall yet curve inwards as you proceed lower to the ground as well as curving much further inward than the Williams as you go further towards the back of the car.

DasModell
01-16-2004, 10:05 AM
i think peter sauber did the best thing for the team .. to ensure they will survive and not only that . but i thing they will become even more competitive then 2001

DasModell
01-16-2004, 10:43 AM
just to make everyone understand better the twin keel concept