PDA

View Full Version : Virus Warning

Matra et Alpine
02-15-2005, 10:21 AM
A UCP member has been infected by the bropia virus via Messenger.

As more and more UCPers use IM to communicate we are all open to this spread.

This has NOTHING to do with the UCP site and UCP aren't responsibel or involved in it in any way.

IF you use IM then it is possible you may have been trapped by the trojan this virus uses to spread via IM.

IM is now being used to trasnfer viruses by making it look like you have a picture or video from a friend. you accept it in IM and then open it in IM. Sadly that wasn't a fiel from your friend it was the bropia trojan adn your sytem is then infected and the little b@st@rd now uses YOUR IM contacts list to send it out to eeryoen else.

So on IM do NOT open a file unless you knwo the person has sent it. In this case I asked them to confirm and they said they didnt' so I was able to stop the trojan and help the other person clean their system. SO DO NOT ACCEPT or OPEN files without confirming with th other person it's contents.

NOW, how do you know if you are infected ?
Run your virus scanner.
IF you don't have one then PLEASE get one.
In the meantime go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp pr one of the many other free online scanner and run it.
it will detect and delete it if it finds it.
OR you can download the instructions and tool at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bropia.removal.tool.html from Symantec to remove bropia if you know you're infected.
THEN get yourself a virus scanner and run it to defend from these.

Hopefully we can nip this before it spreads through our IM contacts.

Good luck and hope you aren't einfected :(

Again let me re-iterate this trojan/virus has NOTHING to do with UCP.
It is only IM users who are possibly affected and only from other IM users.

I'm posting this here as a friendly service to fellow UCPers who have and use Instant Messengers to talk outside of UCP.

EDIT: I've made this sticky for a month to make sure it doesn't get missed and then we'll drop it out.

UCR
02-15-2005, 10:47 AM
It was Me, I thought it was a mobile video of a mate.

But im clean now, but as Peter says be careful.

henk4
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
It was Me, I thought it was a mobile video of a mate.

But im clean now, but as Peter says be careful.

In a way I am not totally surprised it was You :D . Anyway, my scan is running now as well.

Mustang
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
ive had several people try and send me things via msn and my firewall had detected them all and blocked them before they could get to me.

i also did a check and im / my PC is fine :)

UCR
02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
In a way I am not totally surprised it was You :D . Anyway, my scan is running now as well.
Why? it spreads through everyones contacts, and no one knows.

What are you saying :D .

henk4
02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Why? it spreads through everyones contacts, and no one knows.

What are you saying :D .

I just liked the capital Me :D

baddabang
02-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Has MSN provided a patch to correct the problelm?

EDIT: way to be looking out for the family matra... ;)

spi-ti-tout
02-15-2005, 01:24 PM
I have a virus! But its not that one.
Its SO complicating I can't figure it out.

Its like this. Every time I start my PC my Symantec Anit-Virus says thats it has deleted a virus by the name of Beagle W32 something and that access is denied. Fair enough. Now the next time I start my PC, the same thing happens.

Then, sometimes when I go into my C Drive I find it lurking in some folders. When I get to the folder the sign comes up again and the program(virus) is no longer there. Its like its running away.

Can someone help me?

Cotterik
02-15-2005, 01:24 PM
i was wondering why people were trying to send me files disguised as pictures

6'bore
02-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Thnks for the heads up matra

Quiggs
02-15-2005, 02:09 PM

Its like this. Every time I start my PC my Symantec Anit-Virus says thats it has deleted a virus by the name of Beagle W32 something and that access is denied. Fair enough. Now the next time I start my PC, the same thing happens.

Then, sometimes when I go into my C Drive I find it lurking in some folders. When I get to the folder the sign comes up again and the program(virus) is no longer there. Its like its running away.

Can someone help me?

This should help you out. Download the removal tool, and then run it. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
IIRC Beagle was one of those self-copying virii. Which is why it's hard to get rid of.

d-quik
02-15-2005, 02:10 PM
yeah at least 5 of my frinds linked me last night, im just like nah

Karrmann
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Can someone help me?

you might have this
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

you said that you have Nortons, and Nortons says that it blocks this Virus if it tires to infect you.

the reason I say it is this virus out of all the beagle viruses is because that many of the beagle viruses do not do anything if it is passed a certain date, which the dates are from a year ago.

since the virus is there, it starts it'self when you start your cpu. and then it starts to spread, but Norton blocks it and stops it from doing it so that's why that window opens.

so just download the tool and follow the instrucions they give you and you will be clean

hope this helps! :)

spi-ti-tout
02-15-2005, 02:21 PM
This should help you out. Download the removal tool, and then run it. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
IIRC Beagle was one of those self-copying virii. Which is why it's hard to get rid of.
I appreciate it a lot. But look at this! These two apperaed at the same time! :eek: :(

Karrmann
02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I appreciate it a lot. But look at this! These two apperaed at the same time! :eek: :(

/\ here is the link you need.

from what you are looking at, Bill Gates must be a ****ing idiot.

I suggest that before trying to remove the worm, search for it in the task manager when you press ctl+alt+del and when you find it, press end task and stop it from running.

then try to remove the worm.

then get a Macintosh :D

Rockefella
02-15-2005, 02:37 PM

/\ here is the link you need.

from what you are looking at, Bill Gates must be a ****ing idiot.

I suggest that before trying to remove the worm, search for it in the task manager when you press ctl+alt+del and when you find it, press end task and stop it from running.

then try to remove the worm.

then get a Macintosh :D
It's all Gates' fault I guess, he's solely responsible. :rolleyes:

Karrmann
02-15-2005, 02:54 PM
ok spi-ti-tout

no need to get that viiolent...... :rolleyes:

Karrmann
02-15-2005, 03:12 PM
dove won't have any problem with sip's virus! :D :D :D

d-quik
02-15-2005, 04:04 PM
karrmann you know a lot about computers for a 12 year old you know that?

Matra et Alpine
02-15-2005, 04:14 PM
if a virus is deleted in a scan you shoudl always reboot and recheck the scan.
Many trojans hang around and re-infect on system startup.
These typically use system fiels as their hiding place as these files cannot be deleted in a running system.
Re-booting and starting in SAFE MODE is the next standard step if a afirst firus scan doesn't clean it completely.
THEN going to MSDN, or SYmantec, or Trend or McAfee or AVG web site and doing a search on the viurus and lookign up the "manual remove" instructions. SOME viruses are b@st@rds to remove :)

PS: When Macs outnumber PCs 10:1 then it'll be all the PC users going ha-ha you got a virus :)
It's only the Mac limited sales that limit the attacks. Virus developers are all abotu small mids big egos. They NEED to hit the biggest footprint they can. Macs are just noise floor and not worth bothering about.

Re this problem, Microsoft are kinda prevented from embedding virus scanners in heir products by the spectre of lawsuits. So it's left to you to buy and install your preferred virus scanners/blockers to prevent this problem. OR as already said for this one, ask the person sending it to you :)

Spastik_Roach
02-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Don't forget me I know lots too... :D

Wow I sound sad :rolleyes:

crisis
02-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I have had some adware that antivirus and adaware cant get rid of. What I did was check applications in task manager, highlight the suspected applications, assign them minumum priority, delete or terminate them, then go into the file thay are in on the hard drive and delete them before they automatically reload. A bit lengthy but it seems the only way to get rid of them.

Spastik_Roach
02-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Jesus I just had a VERY close miss with that virus. A person sent me a file called "Titanic" over MSN, I only knew not to open it because when it completed it showed a MS-DOS icon and it ended with .jpg.pif...

If it ends like that, with .jpg. then .pif or .exe, DONT OPEN IT. Its more than likely to be a virus.

crisis
02-15-2005, 10:52 PM
I dont and have never used msn. Dont see any need to.

SlickHolden
02-16-2005, 01:19 AM
That's a new one i have never herd of Virus going through MSN chat like that in IM ? Only in chat rooms i have seen some bad shit.

Lagonda
02-16-2005, 03:45 AM
PS: When Macs outnumber PCs 10:1 then it'll be all the PC users going ha-ha you got a virus :)
It's only the Mac limited sales that limit the attacks. Virus developers are all abotu small mids big egos. They NEED to hit the biggest footprint they can. Macs are just noise floor and not worth bothering about.

While this is true I must add that Windows is actually one big hole where one can easily get into. OSX is quite a bit more secure than Windows. The problem with windows is that if you are an "Admin" user, you are actually a "root" users and everything is open for you. The root account on the Mac is not enabled by default like on windows. You can enable it on the Mac but it's pointless and a security risk. Since that root account is always enabled on Windows viruses can easily write everywhere on the harddrive and modify all kinds of stuff. Which is something that is technically quite impossible on a Mac unless the root user is used (which is, again, foolish to do).
It's not impossible to write a Mac virus but it's really hard due to the security model. A security model which does not exist on Windows, the windows security model is a complete joke as all you Windows using people notice with these viruses and spyware problems.
As a result of this better security model one has to literally give a virus "permission" to run by typing in your administrator password to enable "sudo" which is a UNIX command that temporarely gives to admin user root priviliges. So infecting a Mac can only be done when you actually give permission to do this. I don't say It's impossible to make a virus that cracks the security model but it's REALLY hard and this rules out all the script kiddies only really knowledgeable virus writers would be able to this.

Anyway, have fun cleaning out the mess on your PCs ;). The only things you can do is to always have your definitions and security updates up to date, try to use a non-admin account, not use Internet Explorer and Outlook and pray.

spi-ti-tout
02-16-2005, 04:49 AM
if a virus is deleted in a scan you shoudl always reboot and recheck the scan.
Many trojans hang around and re-infect on system startup.
These typically use system fiels as their hiding place as these files cannot be deleted in a running system.
Re-booting and starting in SAFE MODE is the next standard step if a afirst firus scan doesn't clean it completely.
THEN going to MSDN, or SYmantec, or Trend or McAfee or AVG web site and doing a search on the viurus and lookign up the "manual remove" instructions. SOME viruses are b@st@rds to remove :)
A few things before I understand what you mean (sorry but i'm too PC retarded :()

Reboot means restart right?
How do I reboot in safe mode?

And...what exactly does a worm do? :confused:

spi-ti-tout
02-16-2005, 04:52 AM
you might have this

you said that you have Nortons, and Nortons says that it blocks this Virus if it tires to infect you.

the reason I say it is this virus out of all the beagle viruses is because that many of the beagle viruses do not do anything if it is passed a certain date, which the dates are from a year ago.

since the virus is there, it starts it'self when you start your cpu. and then it starts to spread, but Norton blocks it and stops it from doing it so that's why that window opens.

so just download the tool and follow the instrucions they give you and you will be clean

hope this helps! :)
Damn 12 year old and he's 10 times ahead of me in computers :eek:

Good work karrmann! :)

spi-ti-tout
02-16-2005, 04:54 AM
not use Internet Explorer and Outlook
Why not? :confused:

Lagonda
02-16-2005, 05:05 AM
Why not? :confused:

You really need to ask that ? :) (j/k no offence)

IE and Outlook are the worst application ever in terms of security. Use Firefox for your browsing. As for a mail app, I have no idea on the options you have on windows but if you really need to use it then just make sure that you have the automatic opening of attachements OFF and ActiveX OFF.

spi-ti-tout
02-16-2005, 05:26 AM

IE and Outlook are the worst application ever in terms of security. Use Firefox for your browsing. As for a mail app, I have no idea on the options you have on windows but if you really need to use it then just make sure that you have the automatic opening of attachements OFF and ActiveX OFF.
Thanks, I didn't know that :)

Karrmann
02-16-2005, 05:29 AM
A few things before I understand what you mean (sorry but i'm too PC retarded :()

Reboot means restart right?
How do I reboot in safe mode?

And...what exactly does a worm do? :confused:

a. yes
b. to boot up in safe mode, just press F8 when you get a black screen saying "starting Windows"
c.worms create a bunch of files which create back doors for hackers to get into your CPU, and also, it shuts down many security devices, and completely weakens over all security for your PC.

when you keep a worm on your CPU for a long time, a Hacker can shut you down.

but also if you want to use a PC platform, you should NOT use XP, you should use 2000 pro because it is the most secure and is herder for viruses to infect, so if you do get one, there is a higher chance that you will catch it early before it gets as bad as you have it.

to remove it, just do 2 things.

either you shut down the Virus then run nortons, or run Nortons in safe mode.

I recommend safe mode.

but if you want to be protefcted this is what I suggest
Windows 2000 NT Professional
Norton Antivius (latest version)
ad aaware 6.0 and spybots/d or you can just fork over $15.00 to get pest patrol, which is the best product money can buy for adware and spyware removal.
Win Patrol
Mozilla Firefox.
/\ that will keep you just about virus free

and as I say again, you should use Windows 2000 instead of XP or ME because it has higher security and it is harder for a Virus to shut you down.

I know this for expirance because when MP CPU had ME millenium, I kept having serious problems with Viruses and I had to reinstall it twice because a Virus had killed my CPU, but With 2000, I never had any problems woth Viruses and I never had to reinstall it once.

even though the best thing is that I didn't have to pay for mone because my brother got the dick on loan from one of his friends.

but on ME we had the latest Nortons and all that crap, but still Viruses were ruling us.

the NT versions of windows are again more secure and it will take a lot of bad viruses to shut you down, so I'm suggesting to everyone to switch to 2000.

so spi when you clear this I suggest you switch to 2000, and there will be a slim chance that this will ever happen again.

6'bore
02-16-2005, 05:47 AM

That's because he never goes out. He lives at his computer

Matra et Alpine
02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
While this is true I must add that Windows is actually one big hole where one can easily get into. OSX is quite a bit more secure than Windows.
You're thinking Windows 95+ code base.

Windows NT and 2000 were as secure as UNIX.

Windows XP brought the security of the "business" OSes to the games machines.

The problem with windows is that if you are an "Admin" user, you are actually a "root" users and everything is open for you.
Old Windows.

The root account on the Mac is not enabled by default like on windows.
Oh it is, there are many daemons which MUST run in root privelage to operate. THIS provides the back doors that have been used to attack UNIX systems in the past and continues to be a risk.

You can enable it on the Mac but it's pointless and a security risk. Since that root account is always enabled on Windows viruses can easily write everywhere on the harddrive and modify all kinds of stuff. Which is something that is technically quite impossible on a Mac unless the root user is used (which is, again, foolish to do).
Old Windows. New Windows is as secure.
UNIX has to run stuff in root privelage at times too.
UNless Apple have woreked some very mysterious magic EITHER OSX is brain-damaged OR the holes exist and are open to attack.

It's not impossible to write a Mac virus but it's really hard due to the security model. A security model which does not exist on Windows, the windows security model is a complete joke as all you Windows using people notice with these viruses and spyware problems.
You need to update you idea on Windows to reflect the NT/2000/XP updates.
Windows 95/8/me family are no longer supported OS by MS.
Also you've bought into the UNIX-is-secure mindset.
The MAJOR issue that Windows faced was the memory protection scheme devised in the original Windows and implemented in the Intel chipset. Running Linux on Intel architecture has a risk which the PowerPC avoids.
BUT those arent' the major issues.
It is the application software that makes Windows riskier.
It is used more openly than any "open" UNIX/LINUX/OSX system by virtue of their being an order of magnitude more applications and developers :)

As a result of this better security model one has to literally give a virus "permission" to run by typing in your administrator password to enable "sudo" which is a UNIX command that temporarely gives to admin user root priviliges. So infecting a Mac can only be done when you actually give permission to do this. I don't say It's impossible to make a virus that cracks the security model but it's REALLY hard and this rules out all the script kiddies only really knowledgeable virus writers would be able to this.
The daemons are the biggest risk and attack points for unix-based systems.
Again, Windows is NOT the horror painted.
:) This is like watching a FOX news item :)

Anyway, have fun cleaning out the mess on your PCs ;). The only things you can do is to always have your definitions and security updates up to date, try to use a non-admin account, not use Internet Explorer and Outlook and pray.
Funnily enough that's NOT the case.
Really Apple users are getting alittle like Bush claiming WMD to ensure he gets the backing he wants.

Macs and Linux are good for what they offer.
As is Windows.
Windows IS more likely to cause problems because more people try to find the holes and more people get affected.

As was said, when the PC is no longer the dominant OS it will be seen as being "safer" because it will ahve less attacks. At that time the leading OS will be described as the ssecurity risk, full of holes etc.

Matra et Alpine
02-16-2005, 08:54 AM

Lagonda I have to remind you it isnt' a good idea to scare tactics in an inappopriate way.

If a user either runs a virus scanner OR sets up their browser to block activeX, VB, auto open etc etc then they are secure.

All you highlight is that by default FireFox installs more secure than older versions of Internet Explorer. Modern installs leave these as "prompt user". The problems has been that some ISPs don't update their own install instructions so over-ride the protection.

Again as said before, once more users are on FireFox, the code defects will be found and reported that the virus developers will use to fidn ways to open backdoors. FireFox has some nice usability but beyond that has the BIG issue that some web sites dont' work on it :(

IF you want a discussion on the merits or NOT of OSes and browsers, please lets create another thread.

KEEP this one focussed on the Instant Messenger issue so we can ensure all UCPers know of the issue.

Matra et Alpine
02-16-2005, 09:07 AM
but also if you want to use a PC platform, you should NOT use XP, you should use 2000 pro because it is the most secure and is herder for viruses to infect, so if you do get one, there is a higher chance that you will catch it early before it gets as bad as you have it.
NO NO NO NO !!!!!

Windows XP core code is MORE secure than Windows 2000 !!

Microsoft development and security teams work to identify and close any issues on security on XP ahead of any other. The initial launch of XP had a handful of pretty seriosu issues as they rushed it out. With SP1 and 2 applied it is as secure as any other OS out there !!!

want to be protefcted this is what I suggest
Windows 2000 NT Professional
Buying NEW OS is better than buying old one.
Much better security in new OS.

Norton Antivius (latest version)
ad aaware 6.0 and spybots/d or you can just fork over $15.00 to get pest patrol, which is the best product money can buy for adware and spyware removal.
EVERYONE should run virus scanner and a firewall to maximise their safety.
Even the free ones are better than nothing :)
and ad a pop-up blocker ( MS have just bought into this business :( )

Mozilla Firefox.
/\ that will keep you just about virus free
WRONG>
No browser or OS can guarantee security.
See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/07/browsers_idn_spoofing/
Funnily one that IE doesn't fall foul of.
All this proves is my point. NO modern system is secure or fundamentally MORE secure than any other ( windows95 et al dont' fall into this category, they were never really designed to be multi-user networked !! )

PS: Mozillan have put a patch out alread. Apple who are also caught by this "bug" haven't done anything so far :(

and as I say again, you should use Windows 2000 instead of XP or ME because it has higher security and it is harder for a Virus to shut you down.
Windows 2000 is NOT more secure than XP.
XP built on the NT/2000 core and expanded security and protection.
XP is the most secure OS Microsoft makes ( mind you that's like saying the Prius is most environmentally friendlsy car Toyotaa makes , some will still not want it )

I know this for expirance because when MP CPU had ME millenium, I kept having serious problems with Viruses and I had to reinstall it twice because a Virus had killed my CPU, but With 2000, I never had any problems woth Viruses and I never had to reinstall it once.
Bad protection of your system NOT the OS really.

but on ME we had the latest Nortons and all that crap, but still Viruses were ruling us.
That will have been all those dodgy sites you were browsing which Norton didnt' protect you from.

the NT versions of windows are again more secure and it will take a lot of bad viruses to shut you down, so I'm suggesting to everyone to switch to 2000.
Then please stop as it's not helping ANYONE !!!
AND it's wrong :)

so spi when you clear this I suggest you switch to 2000, and there will be a slim chance that this will ever happen again.
Or install a decent firewall, virus scanner, don't open unknown attachments, Confogure browser and mail reader (all of them) to the correct level of portection you feel comfortable with.
ANd don't listen to unecessary screams of fire, fire from some who perhpas should know better !!!!

Karrmann
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I should add to everyone, that this is the best way to stay virus free.

every firday, run your CPU in safe mode, then run nortons and ad aware and spybot s/d and all that, that is the #1 way to stay free of crap on your CPU.

SPHFerrari
02-16-2005, 01:27 PM
i love when karrmann is seriously and completely owned and then just ignores it as if nothing ever happened. just brightens up my day. :D

Manik
02-16-2005, 01:53 PM
lol my computer is infected with everthing. well not really viruses but mostly spyware. i'm going to get some spyware remavol tools. what is the best you can get in spyware removal regardless of the price?

spi-ti-tout
02-16-2005, 01:54 PM
THIS IS CONFUSING

It just ran away from the folder I found it in. This is really bugging me.
And karrmann, I never said I had Norton, I only said I had Symantec. But good advice (except for the 2000 part) and I appreciate it. My anti virus is still seaching for it in other folders.

I will now re-start in a coupla seconds, in safe mode. Hope it works.

And just for you to know and judge how good my anti-virus is, I've taken a screenshot:

Karrmann
02-16-2005, 02:14 PM
lol my computer is infected with everthing. well not really viruses but mostly spyware. i'm going to get some spyware remavol tools. what is the best you can get in spyware removal regardless of the price?

pest patrol is the best, it can pick up hundreds of adware things when adaware says you are clean, also it is only $15.00

Matra et Alpine
02-16-2005, 02:55 PM
SpyBot S&D is free :) and doesn't act liek it :)

UCR
02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
THIS IS CONFUSING

It just ran away from the folder I found it in. This is really bugging me.
And karrmann, I never said I had Norton, I only said I had Symantec. But good advice (except for the 2000 part) and I appreciate it. My anti virus is still seaching for it in other folders.

I will now re-start in a coupla seconds, in safe mode. Hope it works.

And just for you to know and judge how good my anti-virus is, I've taken a screenshot:
You need to uninstall them search tool bars.

Matra et Alpine
02-16-2005, 03:05 PM
You need to uninstall them search tool bars.
WELL SPOTTED JIMBO !!!!!

Yep, search bars are the worst offenders for putting in "helpers" into the browser adn tracking cookies. BAD idea.

man 430gt
02-16-2005, 03:56 PM
A UCP member has been infected by the bropia virus via Messenger.

As more and more UCPers use IM to communicate we are all open to this spread.

This has NOTHING to do with the UCP site and UCP aren't responsibel or involved in it in any way.

IF you use IM then it is possible you may have been trapped by the trojan this virus uses to spread via IM.

IM is now being used to trasnfer viruses by making it look like you have a picture or video from a friend. you accept it in IM and then open it in IM. Sadly that wasn't a fiel from your friend it was the bropia trojan adn your sytem is then infected and the little b@st@rd now uses YOUR IM contacts list to send it out to eeryoen else.

So on IM do NOT open a file unless you knwo the person has sent it. In this case I asked them to confirm and they said they didnt' so I was able to stop the trojan and help the other person clean their system. SO DO NOT ACCEPT or OPEN files without confirming with th other person it's contents.

NOW, how do you know if you are infected ?
Run your virus scanner.
IF you don't have one then PLEASE get one.
In the meantime go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp pr one of the many other free online scanner and run it.
it will detect and delete it if it finds it.
OR you can download the instructions and tool at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bropia.removal.tool.html from Symantec to remove bropia if you know you're infected.
THEN get yourself a virus scanner and run it to defend from these.

Hopefully we can nip this before it spreads through our IM contacts.

Good luck and hope you aren't einfected :(

Again let me re-iterate this trojan/virus has NOTHING to do with UCP.
It is only IM users who are possibly affected and only from other IM users.

I'm posting this here as a friendly service to fellow UCPers who have and use Instant Messengers to talk outside of UCP.

EDIT: I've made this sticky for a month to make sure it doesn't get missed and then we'll drop it out.
Thanks for the early warning, I'll keep a eye out for that.

spi-ti-tout
02-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!

I had about 6 toolbars, of which 2 uninstalled successfully(Advanced Searchbar and MSN Toolbar) and asked me to reboot.

Heres the confusing part:
1 of my toolbars(ICQ) is malfunctioning. It isn't coming at all when I click on it.

Then the other 3 (My Search, Google and DAP), do not have any uninstall buttons. I went to Program Files and tried to delete it but it says either the Disk is too full, or cannot be overwrited or the program is in use. Even when I unselected the toolbars the same came.

I want to sort this out(thanks Jimbo!) before I reboot in safe mode, so I don't have to do it after. I hope someone can help me on this.

Anybody please?

EDIT: When I tried to get that Manage Attachments window to show you it said 'Error on page'.

Karrmann
02-17-2005, 01:32 PM
go to contrlo panel, add and remove programs, and search for the toolbars there. then when you click on their name, there will be a button that say's change/remove, click on that and that will remove them.

the attachments will tell you how.

UCR
02-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Aaaahahahhaaa

Karrmann is helping to get rid of them when he has some !! AHHAHA!

Karrmann
02-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't want to get rid of my toolbars, I was just showing spi how to do it because he doesn't want his.

UCR
02-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!

spi-ti-tout
02-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Ok, I took out all toorbars and anything I thought was Spyware or unnessary programs, rebooted and pressed F8 for Safe Mode, then fixed any registry problems(21-the first time I checked there were 627, which I fixed), and then started scan. What I got after the result of scanning both C and D drives is this picture.

My question: Should I delete ALL of them? Or just leave them as they are? I'm hoping someone answers me soon, because I'll leave it like this until someone does. Please help.

EDIT: Can someone also please tell me what that Mugly virus does? Is it the same as the Beagle? Do I need different software to remove the two? And its not only those, when I scrolled down I found these too(4).

Karrmann
02-21-2005, 06:59 PM
mugly virus info

and I suggest that you delete all that crap, get rid of it, get it offf cause if you don'y, it might come to bite you in the butt.

spi-ti-tout
02-22-2005, 04:20 AM
But its all Quarantined. I'm getting over a friend of mine about tomorrow (Computer Technician-been at the profession for 10 years), he'll check it for me and tell me what to do. Until then, I trust the Quarantine. The virus can't do anything from there can it?

Karrmann
02-22-2005, 04:58 AM
no, cause when a flie is quartined it is moved to a special location where you they are protected.

and if you found a quartined file, they would give you a heads up if that file had a virus in it.

laqpmz
02-27-2005, 12:05 AM
got the same trojan virus.

Karrmann
03-06-2005, 05:54 AM
and guess what? you deserve it.

maybe one of the mods purposely got the virus so they can infest you.

Mustang
03-06-2005, 05:58 AM

Karmann your really are an asshole arent you.

I talk to you on MSN and you say "oh im being a better new karrmann that doesnt post shit all the tine" then as soon as i come on UCP after a few days off the only thing that i see on the whole forums is you being the usually dick that you were before i left.

please grow up or i and im sure alot of others wont be sorry to see you removed, you go around saying about how people say things to you, when clearly you start half of it.

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2005, 06:07 AM

Grow up Karrmann.

You are quickly become irritating again !!!

Where's the fly-swatter :)

NOBODY deserves a virus and NO mod would ever go after a UCP member in such a manner. We've got lifetime bans that work best.

Some of us are tempted to do it outwith UCP though, I've got my list and you're quickly coming to the top of it.

Take your growing-up pill for the day and come back after when you can contribute !!!

Mustang
03-06-2005, 06:13 AM
and NO mod would ever go after a UCP member in such a manner. We've got lifetime bans that work best.

not even in this case :p ;)

Mustang
03-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Ok, I took out all toorbars and anything I thought was Spyware or unnessary programs, rebooted and pressed F8 for Safe Mode, then fixed any registry problems(21-the first time I checked there were 627, which I fixed), and then started scan. What I got after the result of scanning both C and D drives is this picture.

My question: Should I delete ALL of them? Or just leave them as they are? I'm hoping someone answers me soon, because I'll leave it like this until someone does. Please help.

EDIT: Can someone also please tell me what that Mugly virus does? Is it the same as the Beagle? Do I need different software to remove the two? And its not only those, when I scrolled down I found these too(4).

hehe look what i see in the first pic (8 down)

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2005, 06:19 AM
yep, those porn site dialers will get you every time :)

Karrmann
03-06-2005, 08:30 AM

well don't be calling spi a pervert just yet.

many viruses will disguise themselves as porn so the user would want to activate it so it can sacrifice the PC.

Karrmann
03-06-2005, 08:33 AM
not even in this case :p ;)

yeah, to get rid of mdbftft, we'd need an ip ban, wait that wouldn't work, we would need to send a UCPer with a baseball bat to his house to smash his computer :p

hmmm, I got a nice big T-ball bat, i'm sure that will work, but a metal bat would be more fun, I know a friend who has one, so I could borrow his and..................

Mustang
03-06-2005, 09:28 AM
yeah, to get rid of mdbftft, we'd need an ip ban, wait that wouldn't work, we would need to send a UCPer with a baseball bat to his house to smash his computer :p

hmmm, I got a nice big T-ball bat, i'm sure that will work, but a metal bat would be more fun, I know a friend who has one, so I could borrow his and..................

as i said you're! an idiot

Coventrysucks
03-06-2005, 09:34 AM

Karrmann -
http://info.med.yale.edu/yfp/ymg/comply/images/STOP%2013.jpg

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2005, 10:32 AM

UCP user abuse instructions for karrmann.

Take baseball bat in hand.
Stand in front of mirror.
Beat head with bat.

Thank you and g'night :)

MRR
03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
And is yet another reason that Apple Computer's are better (there are 3000-4000 known windows viruses. Many 10000s more of trojans and worms. There are less than a hundred known mac viruses a large part of which are leftovers from the 90s and wont affect their new operating systems).

CdocZ
03-14-2005, 05:00 PM
And is yet another reason that Apple Computer's are better (there are 3000-4000 known windows viruses. Many 10000s more of trojans and worms. There are less than a hundred known mac viruses a large part of which are leftovers from the 90s and wont affect their new operating systems).

The reason there are so many for Windoes is not because of how it is programmed, but because they're use is so widespread so it appeals more since it is the larger target.

Also, probably 99% of those are easy to stay away from, just by not clicking things like pop ups and downloading random crap.

People give crap about Windows for stupid reasons, as I have just proved.

carlover
03-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Hey GT2addict! Take a picture of your computer and put it online and show it to Karrman and maybe he'll smash his monitor! Seriously Karrman, you take everything that is against you in this thread and act like it's directed towards someone else. Isn't it obvious your just gonna get attacked more? Seems like it would be... :rolleyes:

MetA
03-16-2005, 02:44 AM
Have you checked to see if you have "opener" ?
One of the drawbacks the Windows OSs sufer is the fast commnuication to the wide audience of known viruses. THe same isnt' in place for OS-X as it's not attacked so often.
Even "underhand" wasn't widely talked about when it was feared.
Be careful and advise NOT to assume clean :(

spi-ti-tout
03-16-2005, 04:54 AM
yep, those porn site dialers will get you every time :)
I swear I never even went to any site like that. I just don't know how the hell it appeared on my PC. Maybe it was one of those free game sites :confused:

But in any case all of them are gone now, and I'm not taking any risks. A much more virus-cautious spi-ti-tout I am now :)

Besides....I'm back!!!

All this time my internet was actually down and I had no other way of accessing (which may explain my absence from UCP, Yahoo and MSN)

Karrmann
03-16-2005, 05:18 AM
hey, people like in my other post, Viruses disguise rthemselves as porn, so when you think you're opening a file of Brittany Spears having sex (ewww....) when really it is the file that activates the Virus.

so spi is not a pervert, that's just a Virus trying to get spi to open it.

spi-ti-tout
03-16-2005, 05:38 AM
hey, people like in my other post, Viruses disguise rthemselves as porn, so when you think you're opening a file of Brittany Spears having sex (ewww....) when really it is the file that activates the Virus.
I still wouldn't open a file like that. And I still say it was either an advertising e-mail OR a free something off the net

But thanks anyway :)

Karrmann
03-16-2005, 05:40 AM
I know that you know better, I was just trying to get it out to the rest oof UCP.

SlickHolden
04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
My mate had to format his hard drive he got the msn messenger virus from someone on his list who gave it all round to all on her list.
I won't touch it but i would love to chat with some of the blokes on ucp on there i am more thinking of my pocket by not going on there. He had great antivirus and secuirty and it ripped through it all liek it wasnt there:eek:

Rockefella
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I just noticed that Karrmann had started this thread, and guess what.. His ban is lifted tomorrow. Who knows what'll happen.

SlickHolden
04-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I thought it was life lol. Let the spam run free:D It's been quite without him no fights:D They havent had anyone to pick on :p

6'bore
04-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I just noticed that Karrmann had started this thread, and guess what.. His ban is lifted tomorrow. Who knows what'll happen.

Wow, it came round fast, Unless he has changed i expect about 300 posts from him in his first hour.

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2005, 12:19 PM
It "ripped through" because he opened the file sent to him :)

IM is jsut liek e-mail -- if you dont' know who it's from and you weren't expecting it dont' open ANYTHING !!!

With that IM is safe enough. Come joien us - jsut watch out for when some are high/drunk as it can get silly/abusive :)

SlickHolden
04-22-2005, 12:33 PM
It was his friend that opend something sent to her and somehow he got it just over chatting and he said her hole list was hit also:eek: He wasn't happy much:D

Can't everyone go on Yahoo:D We could make a UCP Room:)

forza_autodelta
04-22-2005, 12:36 PM
great idea , should planify it for next week

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Nowhere is safe if we don't act sensibly :) ....

Thse 2 hit yahoo's messenger .......

- The problem is that Yahoo Messenger wraps overly long filenames and shows only the first line of the filename in the file transfer dialogs. The file extension can thus be spoofed for a filename containing a whitespace and two file extensions. Successful exploitation requires that the option "Hide extension for known file types" is enabled in Windows (default setting).

- The vulnerability is caused due to a combination of weak default directory permissions and the Audio Setup Wizard (asw.dll) invoking the "ping.exe" utility insecurely during the connection testing phase. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of another user by placing a malicious "ping.exe" file in the application's "Messenger" directory.

SlickHolden
04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
I just think it's safer not to open files from the internet unless it's a mate:D
But i think it's best not to send files over the net unless you have to:) Very safe that way:)

Matra et Alpine
04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I just think it's safer not to open files from the internet unless it's a mate:D
But i think it's best not to send files over the net unless you have to:) Very safe that way:)
Even if it's FROM a mate, unless you can confimr he/she sent you itr and what it contains dont' open things.

The IM worm used the IM contact list and sent an infected jpeg FROM a "mate" to a "mate" - ouch !!!!! Usually it was titled "me pissed", so you wre guaranteed to open it :)

SlickHolden
04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
My mate and i only send over the email and if we do on IM the first thing we say is are you sending me something? Yes it's a pic,, Ok then we accept it but i say send stuff through emails it's not much harder:) I little safer to:D.

targa
05-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Virus Warning?

what are these viruses you speak of?

SlickHolden
05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
The one's that make your pc go bang:D

Prius
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
this is what can happen if you get a Virus :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.servpro.com/services/images/melted_computer.jpg

Rockefella
05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
this is what can happen if you get a Virus :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.servpro.com/services/images/melted_computer.jpg
Incredible.

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Watch out guys,

There have been two threats raised - one of them Level 1 - for AOL Instant Messsenger.
If you're an AOL user, be warned and get latest updates to whatever protection you ahve.

spi-ti-tout
08-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Didn't want to make a whole other thread.
Alright, this is STRANGE.
I have connection to the internet, which is how I'm accessing it now. Normal enough.
Then why the hell is my computer pretending like I don't?
When I tried to log on msn, "Please make sure you are connected to the internet" or "This service is temporarily unavailable.
First time I saw it I thought it's common enough since MS are always screwing up with MSN anyway.
Then I tried Yahoo!, tried to log on for 5 minutes then returned back to "sign-in" stage.
Wanted to check my GMAIL, Gmail notifier says "Cannot establish contact with Server"
Fine enough - probably the program's not working. Try to go on Gmail website (20 times now) - get "This page cannot be displayed" or "Cannot find Server"
Just 2 minutes ago I try to update my time from time.windows.com (in that option) - wait for 1 minute before it tells me - "An error occured while Windows was trying to synchronize the time with time.windows.com"
Aarrgghhh :mad:

Anything I can do?

This problem started around 6 hours back btw, so recent.

Matra et Alpine
08-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Sounds like your ISPs DNS has gone south.

If other sites are working then it's likely the cache is doing it's job !!

Could also be your ISPs proxy having cache problems. this used to happen all the time years ago. Everybody has fairly stabel proxies by now. Who's your ISP ??

Or you're with a "cheap" ISP who doesn't have multiple peering arrangments in case routes go down :D

If it happens again change your proxy - in IE go "tools" ... "internet optinns" ... "connections" ... "LAN settings" and click on "Proxy settings" box and put 66.250.69.2 and port 8080 into the boxes. Try that. IF everything then works, get on to your ISP and tell them to fix their DNS and Proxy servers :) Advise to turn BACK to not having a named proxy server as that proxy given is slow-slow-SLOW. best to return to your ISPs settings asap - assuming they actually fix it.

Good luck :)

spi-ti-tout
08-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Sounds like your ISPs DNS has gone south.
Yeah I remember something about it in that uploading thread. Oh and thanks for that one btw.

Could also be your ISPs proxy having cache problems. this used to happen all the time years ago. Everybody has fairly stabel proxies by now. Who's your ISP ??

Or you're with a "cheap" ISP who doesn't have multiple peering arrangments in case routes go down :D
Only 1 in the whole of UAE. They're called "Etisalat" (Eti -> Emirates / Salat in Arabic -> communication = Emirates Telecommunications). 60% State/40% Private owned. They handle each and every single communcation network in the UAE eg Telephone, Cellphone, Internet etc. I got DSL so I pay around $70 per month (rates bloody expensive here)

If it happens again change your proxy - in IE go "tools" ... "internet optinns" ... "connections" ... "LAN settings" and click on "Proxy settings" box and put 66.250.69.2 and port 8080 into the boxes. Try that. IF everything then works, get on to your ISP and tell them to fix their DNS and Proxy servers :) Advise to turn BACK to not having a named proxy server as that proxy given is slow-slow-SLOW. best to return to your ISPs settings asap - assuming they actually fix it.

Good luck :)
Thanks - will try and report back :)

spi-ti-tout
08-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Went out that time - back in and applied settings
And so far no results :(
Hhhmmmmnnn....speed seems to be the same but there anything else I can do?

spi-ti-tout
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Anyone?!? :(

Seems like ALL-mail services are being blocked (including hotmail and others like @canada.com), bummer for me especially since I was expecting a rather important one on Gmail today

If it isn't connected by tomorrow I'm (with a few others) going to march over to the ISP and ask for a resonable explanation.

Matra et Alpine
08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
send them an e-mail :D

hmmm, can you connect to the mail server or is it just that your mail is getting bounced.
It's possible your ISP has been black-listed :)

spi-ti-tout
08-02-2005, 02:11 PM
send them an e-mail :D

hmmm, can you connect to the mail server or is it just that your mail is getting bounced.
It's possible your ISP has been black-listed :)
Aha! :)

Mom just called their main line but it was so busy the automatic reponses were saying to call later (first time in years :D)
Then she called another one and the guy said it wasn't the 'puta's fault and that the whole of UAE's network system (something about servers) had broken down and they were trying to fix it hopefully by tomorrow or the day-after.
You're right ISP here is POS :D

spi-ti-tout
08-03-2005, 05:00 AM
WTF?
NOW they're saying they claim no responsibility and that there's no problem with the network - and that it's MY computer!
Pretty much no changes were made to anything so I suppose I can only hope they fix the problem soon :(

Matra et Alpine
08-03-2005, 06:23 AM
WTF?
NOW they're saying they claim no responsibility and that there's no problem with the network - and that it's MY computer!
Pretty much no changes were made to anything so I suppose I can only hope they fix the problem soon :(
it might be your comp :) Just make sure internet setings and IE options are "default" or whatever your ISP recommends.

BUT, ISPs never admit to having problems. Coz if they do people ask for money back :) I spent the first 2 years of BlueYonder sending them measurements from their network pointing out problems. They hadn't looked at Agilent Monitoring systems and were amazed at what I could do ( they subsequently blocked the SMTP ports on their Ciscos :) ) The plu sside was I go free internet for nearly a couple of years AND free speed upgrades as they deployed new network !!!

IF it's not a permium phone number for the support then jsut keep phoning them adn annoying them until they PROVE it's your PC and not their network :D

spi-ti-tout
08-03-2005, 06:27 AM
it might be your comp :) Just make sure internet setings and IE options are "default" or whatever your ISP recommends.

BUT, ISPs never admit to having problems. Coz if they do people ask for money back :) I spent the first 2 years of BlueYonder sending them measurements from their network pointing out problems. They hadn't looked at Agilent Monitoring systems and were amazed at what I could do ( they subsequently blocked the SMTP ports on their Ciscos :) ) The plu sside was I go free internet for nearly a couple of years AND free speed upgrades as they deployed new network !!!

IF it's not a permium phone number for the support then jsut keep phoning them adn annoying them until they PROVE it's your PC and not their network :D
No need to. They fixed it 10 minutes ago :D

Matra et Alpine
08-03-2005, 06:34 AM
No need to. They fixed it 10 minutes ago :D
As in fixed their network ?

Time to send an e-mail to their support manager and ask him/her to explain why you were told it wasn't their problem and it was your computer and then WOW they fix their network and it's OK.

Tell them you paid me for support over the internet and you expect them to re-imburse you for it as it was thirt fault all along and they had wrongly advised you. I'll create an invoice for you if you want :) as long as I get 25%

spi-ti-tout
08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
As in fixed their network ?

Damn right

Time to send an e-mail to their support manager and ask him/her to explain why you were told it wasn't their problem and it was your computer and then WOW they fix their network and it's OK.
Well if they didn't even admit that it was their network that was faulty in the first place and they didn't even give a notice when it was "fixed" I don't think they're going to take any notice

We'd have to bribe them :p

Tell them you paid me for support over the internet and you expect them to re-imburse you for it as it was thirt fault all along and they had wrongly advised you. I'll create an invoice for you if you want :) as long as I get 25%
Deal!

Anybody who never thought Matra could be this wicked please raise hand *raises hand* :D

Matra et Alpine
08-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Anybody who never thought Matra could be this wicked please raise hand *raises hand* :D
he don't know me very well, do he :D

spi-ti-tout
08-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Is anybody else having msn problems, or is it just me? Because I'm starting to get really pissed at this problem :mad:
I doubt it has anything to do with the server because it's been fixed (I can logon to Yahoo and all the others - checking mail is still a bit of a problem because I have to press 'refresh' for the page to load, atleast I can check though) BUT nobody else seems to be having the problem. More often than not it won't sign me in saying there's a problem with my net connection or the service is unavailable
I'm confused :(

spi-ti-tout
08-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Looks like it's time to get that invoice out Matra :D

Net problem to continue few more days: Etisalat
By Prerna Suri

4 August 2005

DUBAI — For the second consecutive day, Internet users in the UAE faced difficulties in accessing various web sites while Etisalat officials said the problem may continue for the next few days.

"The situation remains unchanged since Tuesday when the fault was detected. We still don't know the cause for the breakdown of the submarine cable and there are plans of deploying a cable ship soon to resolve the problem," said an Etisalat spokesperson. Internet traffic in the emirates have been sporadically disrupted since Tuesday due to a cut in submarine cable located between Bombay and Penang. The cause for the problem is yet to be identified.

The disruption in the cable link has slowed down Internet traffic considerably with high bandwidth applications such as gaming and peer-to-peer applications being affected to a large extent.

Chat applications such as MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger were also difficult to access and operate.

Komal Ramani, a student, said: "I log on to the Internet throughout the day to download songs and movies. But since yesterday, I haven't been able to do any of that. The Internet speed is quite slow and all my friends are also complaining about how it has affected them," she said.

Following an earlier disruption in overseas links, Etisalat increased its links from 15 to 19 to ensure additional redundancy. The redundant links deployed by Etisalat for such an eventuality has meant that normal Internet browsing and essential traffic will continue to work smoothly.

Etisalat also mentioned that they were working closely with the international service provider for repairing these submarine cables to ensure that the links are restored at the earliest. "But we cannot give a time-frame as to when the problem will be solved," added the spokesperson.

To see original page please click Here (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarticle.asp?section=theuae&xfile=data/theuae/2005/august/theuae_august132.xml)