PDA

View Full Version : New car ideas......

85RX7
02-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Well, my dad just got a new job, he and i are going to go serching for a new car tomorrow and the days hat follow.

He really likes the FD RX7 although seeing as his company will probably not like the mantinance that comes with it, So that ir ruled out.

His last car @ his last company was a Subaru Legacy GTB wagon, Yep, the Twin Turbo model.....280bhp.............so i would like to test some things similar, i dont want to go to much down the scale, like under 200bhp, if possible.

I am going to get him to test drive the Mazda RX8, and if he doesnt want to im gonna bully him into it :) .........I like being bigger than my dad :p

The company apparentyl mentioned 3.2L, but that doesnt mean much, apart from a large capacity engine is not out of the idea.

We, will most probably testdrive a Falcon XR6T and An XR8, although an XR8 may be out of the ball park we are looking in.

If you have any ideas of cars that we may want to test drive just post away, and as we test them i'll give a small analysis or whatever on each one.

*The car has to seat 4 prople comfortably(thats why i'm thinking RX8)
*Be powerful(more of my likings, although mad dad would like it too)
*Look good
* Preferably not FWD, lets face it, most of the FWD cars are used for grans shopping runs!!! So 4wd or RWD:p would be great.

Those are basic outlines, so there is alot of room to move around

Thanks for any info and help.

Cheers

clutch-monkey
02-16-2005, 01:07 AM
base model jag? my dads in the same situation, looking at audi's etc

85RX7
02-16-2005, 01:12 AM
I dunno how much they are in brisbane, but i thought Jags were expencive, plus thar arn't very good performance wise with all tha weight.

staryknight
02-16-2005, 01:16 AM
What price range? how bout the STi, =D it seats everyone nice n comfy =P

85RX7
02-16-2005, 01:18 AM
What price range? how bout the STi, =D it seats everyone nice n comfy =P

We havn't been given a price range, but you know not too crazy. I'd say not too much over $50,000NZD

I was thinking that too, the STI, that could be worth a test drive, could be a bit to pricey tho. we'll see tho.

clutch-monkey
02-16-2005, 01:32 AM
a subaru 3.0L liberty? supposed to be audi-rivalling in ride/performance etc

85RX7
02-16-2005, 01:38 AM
oh, and another thing, it doesn't have to be new!!! so we could probably go 5years back if we wanted, that opens it up a bit. Somthing.....Luxury Sports!

clutch-monkey
02-16-2005, 01:44 AM
audi A6? jag xj6? previous generation BMW's?

Spastik_Roach
02-16-2005, 02:06 AM
How about a VW Passat? A V6 4-motion (4wd one) could be pretty sweet. Used one should be under 50 grand.

6'bore
02-16-2005, 05:52 AM
I would stay away from the mazda RX8. THe fuel consumption is very poor and there is no torque what so ever. To get the full potential of the power, you need to keep it above 5000 rpm, which makes the fuel consumtion even worse

:Exige:
02-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Audi A4s are quite nice .. is that in your range? Could get a cabriolet (but you'll look like Hitler sitting in the back of it :)

Saabs are good too .. a friends dad has a Saab .. very comfy :)

SilverG35SportC
02-16-2005, 08:35 AM
IF you have them over there the Nissan 350Z. It is a very popular seller and Evo magazine thinks very highly of it. If you do not have the 350Z maybe a S2000 but that also has no torque so i have no idea.

Quiggs
02-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Did New Zealand get any .:R32's? 3.2L VR6 + intercooled turbo = 350awhp+. They sit 4 relatively comfortably. Infiniti G35- sedan or coupe- are very good choices. Same goes for the Audi A4 Quattro, or S4 if he can swing it.

I would stay away from the mazda RX8. THe fuel consumption is very poor and there is no torque what so ever. To get the full potential of the power, you need to keep it above 5000 rpm, which makes the fuel consumtion even worse
Have you ever driven the RX8? Or are you bench-racing from what you've read? The car's got plenty of torque from about 3000 on, and it comes on very linear. Under 3000, it struggles a little bit, but it's easy to adapt to. Fuel mileage isn't great, but if you're looking at cars in that price range, does it really matter?

kko
02-16-2005, 02:13 PM

That and the rx-8 DOES NOT seat four normal people, the back is small and the roof in the back is low. its for kids and groceries.

Rockefella
02-16-2005, 02:14 PM
That and the rx-8 DOES NOT seat four normal people, the back is small and the roof in the back is low. its for kids and groceries.
still seats 4 ppl though. ;)

85RX7
02-16-2005, 03:52 PM

The RX8 IMO has almost unserpassable styling in the Japaneese makret.

The fuel economy in not bad either. But that doesnt matter what-so-ever, we dont pay for the fuel:)

2ndclasscitizen
02-16-2005, 05:08 PM
VY series Calais V8 with leather are under $50000AUD and they've got heaps of go and are goddamn comfy

Manik
02-16-2005, 06:39 PM
you should try a 5 series BMW......or are they to expensive????

85RX7
02-16-2005, 07:10 PM
VY series Calais V8 with leather are under $50000AUD and they've got heaps of go and are goddamn comfy

They are probably about 80K NZD

you should try a 5 series BMW......or are they to expensive????

2 expencive, not a fan od the bimmers either.

85RX7
02-16-2005, 07:33 PM
May take a look @ this XR6T

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Ford/auction-21027819.htm

EDIT: On second thoughts....NO..i wont look @ it, it is 8-9 hours frive from where i am:p

clutch-monkey
02-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Did New Zealand get any .:R32's?

:D :D hahahaha :D
r32's are like civics over in new zealand

Quiggs
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
:D :D hahahaha :D
r32's are like civics over in new zealand
:eek: I'm coming!

(Just to clarify, are you talking about the Nissan or the VW? I'm only coming if it's the VeeDub...)

Rockefella
02-16-2005, 08:26 PM

(Just to clarify, are you talking about the Nissan or the VW? I'm only coming if it's the VeeDub...)
(the nissan)

Quiggs
02-16-2005, 08:26 PM
(the nissan)
(I'm cancelling my airline tickets...)

Rockefella
02-16-2005, 08:33 PM
(I'm cancelling my airline tickets...)
I was thinking you meant the GOLF R32, great car that thing is. :)

clutch-monkey
02-16-2005, 08:59 PM

yeah sorry the nissan, i assumed thats what u meant cos u were talking about turbo's etc

85RX7
02-16-2005, 09:05 PM

both, New Zealend has the largest range of cars in the world:D

Spastik_Roach
02-16-2005, 11:21 PM
http://www.goauto.co.nz/vehicle_detail.asp?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emhm%2Ec o%2Enz%2Fthe5thdimension%2Fvehiclelistings%2Easp%3 FvehicleID%3D326

How about this?

GTR Dreamer
02-17-2005, 12:20 AM
how do u get the lil name under ur name spastik?

staryknight
02-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Liberty GT is quite a nice car, very classy, acceleration compares with a rex, and yeh, its 52k AUD so maybe abit more in NZD... wat else, 2nd hand european prestige cars, if its a business car i wouldnt get something too sporty since u wanna seat 4 people comfy.

85RX7
02-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Liberty GT is quite a nice car, very classy, acceleration compares with a rex, and yeh, its 52k AUD so maybe abit more in NZD... wat else, 2nd hand european prestige cars, if its a business car i wouldnt get something too sporty since u wanna seat 4 people comfy.

We are going to look at a new GT, hopfully tomorrow or the next day.

A sports car is no problem, the boss has a V8 Holden Monaro!

We can choose ANYTHING that we want to, but once we choose, we have to have a talk with the boss dude and he has the final say.

staryknight
02-17-2005, 03:17 AM
well if only there wasnt a limited price, =P then id tell ya to get an M3 or S4, doodedoo, hahaha but yeh, go test out the GT i reckon itll be pretty satisfying, and nice n spacious, leather trim, very nice for the business man that likes a bit of speed, but still wants to keep all the class. =D

2ndclasscitizen
02-17-2005, 06:43 AM
maybe look at a V8 statesman or Fairlane that is a couple of years old?

85RX7
02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Went to the ford dealer to test a Falcon XR6T but there wasnt the series II model there, so we could have a drive in one.

We asked if we could have a go with the RX8. We went and had a look at it, i wasnt sure if i would fit in the back but i gave it a go. My dad was driving, the Dealer guy was in the passanger seat and i was behind him.

I'm not short, I am about 6'3'' and i fit extremely well in the back seat, good head room, leg room, everything. The passenger was also over 6' and he also had plenty of room.

So, Test 1: Room, plenty of it for 4 people

Test 2: Interior car styling. The car has very tall doors and short windows giving it that sports car look and feel. Although alot of the trim is plastic, it still looks great. The centre console is a work of art, the full way through the centre of the car with 5 or 6 compartments. The dash has a digital speedometer which is really fun to look at while accelerating a full throttle:p. Titanium(or that look) guage surrounds. CD stacker (6 CD's i think) built into the dash. All instruments at a good reach.

Test 3: Performance. The first thing that i really did notice was the smoothness compared to the regular piston engine, outstanding. When it first accelated i was amazed to notice it had a substancial kick to it, almost as if it were supercharged having no boost lag. I'm not 100% sure but i think 1st gear got close to 70kph reving it to past 9000rpm. That brings me to my next point, The revs, throughout the rev range it seams as if you have endless power on tap, it just gets better as it keeps going. As you his 2nd gear the thrill factor is finominal. We didnt get to test the full legnth of 3rd gear due to the obvious speed limits.

Braking wise the RX8 is the best car on the market, full stop. It even surpasses the Ferrari enzo!!! 100kph-0 in 28 meters!

Handling, this thing just sticks to the road, it seems as if you could give it anything and it would say 'sure thing boss'. The balance factor is awesome, no understeer or oversteer what-so-ever.

The only thing that i could find negative about this machine is that it is just too easy to speed in!!!

That is my Brief RX8 Experience, and trust me, it is an exhilarating experience!

Next: Legacy GT wagon

85RX7
02-18-2005, 08:25 PM
This car lacks alot of the wow factor of the RX8, i wasnt as inthusiastic about it either seeing as we had the older model of it.

The car had about the same room as the RX8 did in the cabin.

Interior styling: Plasticy with titanium guages and bits and bobs. Seats were lether. When we were driving i realised that i started getting hot, i was wondering whot it was, i was sweating, lol, it ended up being the Heated seats!

Performance: Alot more low down torque than the last model and the auto gearbox helps preserve the boost between gears. Great pict up and speed, good through the bends, felt it almost giving way into a understeer once.

Another great ride, stuck to the road nicley and handled well.

IMHO the Rx8, even if it has marginally smaller pickup, makes up for it in braking and handling.

RX8 9/10
Legacy 7.5/10

Quiggs
02-18-2005, 08:56 PM
The only thing that i could find negative about this machine is that it is just too easy to speed in!!!
I can attest to that. When I drove my uncle's I went from 45-65mph in 3rd gear, only about 1000rpm... The sense of speed is also deceiving. 75mph feels about 45. A radar detector is a definite must for that car. Not that I'd complain. ;)

85RX7
02-21-2005, 01:08 AM
We are getting The RX8, 6 speed manual in yellow.