PDA

View Full Version : How about TVR's

tvrmk3
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi All,
Lots of good articles on various classics. What do you think about the various models of TVR's from the early Jomars up to say the late M type cars. The cars from then to the present are very modern and expensive to say the least.

TVRMK3

Porsche ´77
02-16-2005, 01:34 PM
well the M was so good. but for some strange reason it has always seemed to me like a porsche cabrio. I´m crazy...

henk4
02-16-2005, 01:34 PM
my personal favourite is the Griffith, a prime example of an overpowered car.

:Exige:
02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
my personal favourite is the Griffith, a prime example of an overpowered car.
Yeah, the original Griffith was great. Like the V8S too.

henk4
02-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, the original Griffith was great. Like the V8S too.

but sometimes things go wrong

UCR
02-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Theres a guy down my road who owns a Vixen, In yellow.
Raw.

Mustang
02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I dont knowif this version of the griffith will count as a classic yet, but ive always had a soft spot for it :)

http://www.steve-p.com/sounds/griff.wav

as henk said a perfect example of an overpowered car, with its lightweight and V8 :) :Dhttp://carpictures.duble.com/TVR/Griffith/1.jpg

Cotterik
02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I saw one when i was waiting at the bus stop, in green :) I cought a glimpse of the interior as the roof was down. Its awesome!

http://www.b-link.co.uk/talkingtvr/gallery/griffith/griff07.JPG

cuntukimushroom
02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
tvr's excellent always. enough said :)

Coventrysucks
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi All,
Lots of good articles on various classics. What do you think about the various models of TVR's from the early Jomars up to say the late M type cars. The cars from then to the present are very modern and expensive to say the least.

TVRMK3

I wouldn't say that TVRs from the M onwards are expensive.

You can get an S for about £5000, even the current cars are only about £50,000.

An absolute bargain for what you get.

Manik
02-16-2005, 04:24 PM
but sometimes things go wrong

hey all cars that sometimes have things go wrong................

it is most certainly a classic!

my porsche
02-16-2005, 04:43 PM
whats a VR "S" look like? performance?

Coventrysucks
02-16-2005, 05:08 PM
The V8S.

Based on the S but with the 4.0-litre Rover V8 in place of the 2.9-litre Ford Cologne V6.
Produced from 1991 - 1994 it was quite rare with only 400 being built.

Most had the plain 4.0, although towards the end of production the V8SC was introduced with a catalyst, and some had the Chimaera spec engine, both of which produce the same output, but in different ways - the Chim spec unit having more torque further down the range.

240bhp
270lb/ft
940kg
0-60 5.2 /SC 5.0
146mph

About £5,000 to 15,000.

my porsche
02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
are there many of these for sale? because thats only $10-30,000 USD!

Coventrysucks
02-16-2005, 05:39 PM
There are 4 on PH for 6.5 - 12.95 k

You'd have to ship it over, and you'd probably have a dickens of a time sourcing parts and spares. I don't think many Ss made it over the pond.

my porsche
02-16-2005, 05:44 PM
yeah and its not that great looking of a car anyway, plus getting it registered, and you could easily modify a car to go just as fast for less money, but it wouldnt be quite the same as owning a classic british car

Coventrysucks
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
yeah and its not that great looking of a car anyway

Heathen! Burn Him!!
;)

Cotterik
02-16-2005, 05:55 PM
its one of those cars you would just love to drive around the English countryside all weekend :)

my porsche
02-16-2005, 06:00 PM
its one of those cars you would just love to drive around the English countryside all weekend :)
granted, but will you find me some english countryside?

Coventrysucks
02-16-2005, 06:07 PM
granted, but will you find me some english countryside?

Found some! :)

my porsche
02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
look at my location cov, now find me some! hehehe
and isnt it 1 in the morning in the uk?

henk4
02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
hey all cars that sometimes have things go wrong................

it is most certainly a classic!

It is rather rare that Griffiths make it to the finish in historic races.. :) , but it is a classic

skoobz
03-07-2005, 03:27 PM
they're ok, i guess. i saw one in person the other in fact. it still makes the hear skip a beat. as with any car company this calibur, it's very alluring. i think some russian billionaire kid bought the company. hmph. when i was a kid, all i could afford was a tyco r/c dunebug. this kid gone and bought a performance boutique car company. yeah, life's fair.

jcp123
03-07-2005, 03:31 PM
I used to really dislike them because I first got a bad taste of them in GT1 for having a bad case of snap oversteer. Stupid reason, I know.

But I drove a couple Chimaeras in GT2 yesterday and I was impressed now that I know how to drive them. I was taking on cars in the 345 and even 394hp classes in a 282bhp 4.5 Chimaera and either beat them or stayed very competitive in it. I'll take a 5.0 Chimaera, thank you.

Matra et Alpine
03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh my god, seriously ??? Deciding on whether a car is good or bad based on the handling in Gran Turismo ?

GT is so lame wrt to REAL car handling. It barely gets close on front end slip understeer and plays the controllable rear end oversteer too easily.

It is NOT a sim, it is an arcade game !!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT judge ANY real car from any arcade game. Even the best are poor copies !!!!

jcp123
03-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Oh my god, seriously ??? Deciding on whether a car is good or bad based on the handling in Gran Turismo ?

GT is so lame wrt to REAL car handling. It barely gets close on front end slip understeer and plays the controllable rear end oversteer too easily.

It is NOT a sim, it is an arcade game !!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT judge ANY real car from any arcade game. Even the best are poor copies !!!!

Yeah, I know. But hey, I was 12, and it just stuck with me. That IS why I said "stupid reason, I know" in my post...I don't think it takes a genius to realize that pegging the throttle in a RWD car in a corner at 90 would not result in such wonderfully controlled roadholding :rolleyes:

But it's the best I have considering I probably won't be getting to drive a TVR here in the States anytime soon.

taz_rocks_miami
03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I dont knowif this version of the griffith will count as a classic yet, but ive always had a soft spot for it :)

http://www.steve-p.com/sounds/griff.wav

as henk said a perfect example of an overpowered car, with its lightweight and V8 :) :Dhttp://carpictures.duble.com/TVR/Griffith/1.jpg

Damn, that's a good looking car!!!!!!!! That's it, I'm moving to the UK.

Matra et Alpine
03-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I know. But hey, I was 12, and it just stuck with me. That IS why I said "stupid reason, I know" in my post....
hee-hee I read that as the snap oversteer as the reason NOT the GT game :)
Proximity altered my interpretation !!!!
TVRs DO snap oversteer if you keep the throttle down when it starts to go.
The hairpin at Crail catches the TVR regularly on our outings :) Fortunately there is a HUGE runoff being an ex-airport :)

Cedric
03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Bottom line, TVR's are awesom. From the first one till now, they are what keeps the sports cars market interesting. And yeah, I adore the early TVR's, think of the Tuscans and the Vixens, not to mention the short tiny Griffiths: their short wheelbase and powerful V8 make for interesting handling. I know someone who owns a 1965 Griffith and he knows, trust me.

rpiescik
03-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Hello all, I need anyone and everyones help on this across the net. I'm trying to locate the first 24 TVR Jomars ever produced from the Manchester, NH area. If you know of any one that owns or has one of the original 24 units please pass on contact information to me at [email protected]. Information that would be beneficial would the persons name, address (street, city, state), phone number and a picture of the vehicle if possible. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated on this. Once again please contact me with any information via email. Thanks for the help on this.

Cedric
03-26-2005, 07:03 AM
Try this, they might be able to help you: [email protected]

Cheers.

Coventrysucks
03-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Hello all, I need anyone and everyones help on this across the net. I'm trying to locate the first 24 TVR Jomars ever produced from the Manchester, NH area. If you know of any one that owns or has one of the original 24 units please pass on contact information to me at [email protected]. Information that would be beneficial would the persons name, address (street, city, state), phone number and a picture of the vehicle if possible. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated on this. Once again please contact me with any information via email. Thanks for the help on this.

I don't think anyone would want their name and address being given out to strangers on the internet.

Try the TVR Car Club {www.tvrvcc.com) they might be able to give you some info.

Don't hold out on those names and addresses though.

Mustang
03-26-2005, 10:14 AM

try the TVR factory that mich have some info :rolleyes: