PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

shr0olvl
02-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Here you can post what kind of radar detector you have and how you like it and the amount of times it has saved you from getting a ticket. When I get my car, im thinking about getting one for a fair price but id like to know what are some good brands that I should look out for when I go shopping for one ;)

So basicly, you can post all about yours here and some products that you know or have heard that are suppose to be top notch and if they are evem worth spending money on.

dydzi
02-17-2005, 03:13 PM
having radar detector over here is illegal and you have to pay a ticket only for owning it

Quiggs
02-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't have one (yet) but the Valentine 1 is supposed to be the best on the market. It detects how many radar/laser signals, and in what direction they are, as opposed to most that just tell you there's radar in use. One advantage of this, is that automatic door openers at grocery stores can set off a radar detector at a pretty good range.

DodgeNitroBIRM
02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Illegal in the state of Virginia, and you get fined for having one. Of course, I live less than an hour from North Carolina and I have family there..... <smirks>

Sweeney921
02-17-2005, 04:07 PM
sadly, virginia is one of the only states that radar detectors are illegal in :o . i would love to slap a valentine on top of the dash and not have to worry bout speeding :)

Now if I can just get into UNC chapel hill, i can get a detector, and go to my dream college :)

man 430gt
02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
sadly, virginia is one of the only states that radar detectors are illegal in :o . i would love to slap a valentine on top of the dash and not have to worry bout speeding :)

Now if I can just get into UNC chapel hill, i can get a detector, and go to my dream college :)
I hope it all works out well for you mate;):):D

Sweeney921
02-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I hope it all works out well for you mate;):):D
thanks. i'm pretty sure my last resource for getting in is on a football scholarship. i'm prolly gonna kick for a division 1-A team, because I'm a sophomore and i'm doing 70 yard kickoffs :)

d-quik
02-17-2005, 05:17 PM
thanks. i'm pretty sure my last resource for getting in is on a football scholarship. i'm prolly gonna kick for a division 1-A team, because I'm a sophomore and i'm doing 70 yard kickoffs :)KICKASSS

what was your longest field goal during a game and during practise mate?!?!

shr0olvl
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
how often do radar detectors go out of date ? like the valentine ? or do they even ?

Sweeney921
02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
KICKASSS

what was your longest field goal during a game and during practise mate?!?!longest in practice: 60 yards. did it by accident, actually. the team was practicing kickoff returns, and since i get a touchback every single time, i kicked field goals to them instead of real kickoffs. i put 3 through the posts that day from mid-field.

during a game: none. my coaches never really needed me, xept for PATs. i had one attempt for 35 yards, but it got blocked. next year i should be getting a lot more attempts, cuz i'll be playing varsity.

Manik
02-17-2005, 06:02 PM
i think they are also illegal in canada but i'm not really sure.

taz_rocks_miami
02-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Queretaro is the only city in Mexico that uses radar detectors, and they set up the same radar traps every week, so you know when to slow down. The rest of the country doesn't use em' cuz the cops here don't give a damn.

Niko_Fx
02-17-2005, 07:07 PM
The rest of the country doesn't use em' cuz the cops here don't give a damn.

That's Latin America indeed :rolleyes:

Blue Supra
02-17-2005, 07:12 PM
i OWN one but i do not use it as
a) its illegal in all states
b) they have detector detectors..,:mad: (sneaky bastards)

SilverG35SportC
02-17-2005, 07:20 PM
It is in fact ILLLEGAL to use them in Canada but I have heard and read in a few comparisons that the Valentine 1 is in fact the best on the market.

Egg Nog
02-17-2005, 07:28 PM
It is in fact ILLLEGAL to use them in Canada but I have heard and read in a few comparisons that the Valentine 1 is in fact the best on the market.

It varies from province to province. In BC they are legal to own and use. My friend's Valentine 1 worked extremely well for him, at least until it got stolen. :(

The best, most cost-effective strategy is to drive the speed limit.

Blue Supra
02-17-2005, 07:53 PM
but thats not speed effective:(
:cool:

shr0olvl
02-17-2005, 08:00 PM
are they going to come out with a valentine 2 or something better any time soon ?

henk4
02-18-2005, 01:57 AM
In Holland these things are illegal, as well as in many other European countries. I fully agree to that. If you have the balls to speed then you should also have the money to pay the fine when they catch you.

onetoolfan
02-18-2005, 05:55 AM
I've used a Valentine 1 for about four years now and I estimate it's payed for itself at least three times over in fines it saved me from. I did get caught once with it by a laser which are hard even for it to detect but I got some advance warning and was able to brake to only five over the limit. From what I hear you can spend around $600 on a laser jammer which are supposedly legal in most states and when mounted in conjunction with a Valentine should be pretty safe. I know a lot of people on the Gumball 3000 rally used this set up.
The "detector-detectors" you were talking about do exist, they detect lidar which is what most radar detectors emit. One feature of all Valentine 1 models is that they dont emit it.
On updates; you can send your older Valentine to their factory and they will upgrade the chip for a hefty price.

2ndclasscitizen
02-18-2005, 08:21 AM
the fine in oz for having one is huge, but the road angel's aren't illegal and they tell you where fixed cameras are, but they aren't detectors. i guess you're allowed to have 'em is cause they are first and foremost a digital speedo and cause they tell you where school zones and blackspots are

hec16
02-18-2005, 09:44 AM
:mad:
That's Latin America indeed :rolleyes:
Thats not nice don't talk if you don't know cuz at least here in Guatemala the traffic police is working hard so their isn't no more crashes so just shut up ok and respect don't talk about things or places where you haven't benn ok
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Rockefella
02-18-2005, 09:46 AM
:mad:
Thats not nice don't talk if you don't know cuz at least here in Guatemala the traffic police is working hard so their isn't no more crashes so just shut up ok and respect don't talk about things or places where you haven't benn ok
Many problems here: Niko is a mod, you're a noob. Niko's been to Venezuala and back, and has lived in the region for a few years. I think he'd know.

shr0olvl
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
how far does the valentine detect a laser from ? and how much time do you have to get back down to the speed limit with it ?

whiteballz
02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
niko is FROM Venezuala. he is living in america for a few years.

onetoolfan
02-18-2005, 06:34 PM
how far does the valentine detect a laser from ? and how much time do you have to get back down to the speed limit with it ?

It can detect it from a very long distance but thats not the problem. Radar is a very large wave which bounces all over the place when used which is why it can bounce back to you a mile before you reach the trap. Lasers are concentrated beams, so if they miss it just goes into the sky, sideways or is just absorbed by some dark object, so if a laser detector goes off it means the cop is already aiming it at you and you have under 5 seconds usually - sometimes no time at all.
With radar I've had detections a couple miles in advance because the waves bounce so much. This is why I mentioned laser jammers because lasers cant really be defeated through detection IMO. Lasers are the most accurate speed device for the officer but for most small towns they are prohibitively expensive so you will see them most often on big highways used by Highway Patrol.