PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Cobra Revived

kinan.f
01-07-2004, 12:02 AM
It has been confirmed that the beloved Shelby Cobra is about to hit roads again in a new form that includes a new big aluminium 6.4-litre V10 heart producing a shattering 605bhp and 6750rpm and 501lbf.ft at 5500rpm.
So the well known V8 of the cobra has been forced to retirement after all these legendary days of Vrooooming around.
Ford engineers borrowed the rear-mounted six-speed transaxle from the Ford GT so the concept Cobra is supposed to hit 260 mph & reach 130 mph in 3rd gear.In addition,the suspension comes from the GT, with a few mods to deal with the extra weight of the enormous engine.Thats not all as the Steering, too, is developed from the GT, as is the braking system:Four-pot aluminium Brembo calipers act on cross-drilled, vented discs all round, those at the front measuring a massive 14 inches in diameter while their colleagues at the back are a scarcely less substantial 13.2 inches across & all this aims at controlling the power the beast under the bonnet generates.No thing less than BBS lightweight alloys a set of BFGoodrich racing slicks can be expected.
Well,it is not more than a couple of years until this babe gets its final touches & find its way to super car lovers hearts & bedrooms!!

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/608/bigImages/img01.gif

Article originally published on TopGear website (http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/608/)

Egg Nog
01-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm completely and utterly pleased with the looks of this new Cobra. :) However, something, somewhere, makes me doubt a 260mph top speed?!@! Maybe it's brains cells :)

Anyway, it almost definately won't go anywhere near that fast as a top speed, but there's no doubt in my mind that it will haul ass. I love it. Bravo Ford, bravo.

fpv_gtho
01-07-2004, 12:16 AM
605hp in something the size of a mazda mx-5 and no ABS, thats gotta be something to drive

NoOne
01-07-2004, 08:08 AM
I love it !!! :)

The Top Gear article states a theoretical top speed of 260 mph, does sound a bit high, but with the low weight and a sizeable amount of BHP and Torque it may be possible if you can get past the 2 biggest hurdles - aerodynamics and FEAR ;)

I do have a question though, this 6.4 litre V10 ... what else is it going to find its way in? The GT next year? 2005 SVT Mustang? *drools*
:D :D :D

fpv_gtho
01-07-2004, 08:11 AM
well i'd say it would more than likely find its way into the GT more than anything else. the mustang still only uses a 4.6 so if ford want more power they always have the 5.0 and 5.4. i think though on a nice stretch of road, it would get pretty close to that top speed. my only worry would be the wind entering the cabin at such speeds, being a roadster

NoOne
01-07-2004, 08:35 AM
I think this engine is part of the modular V8 engine family, like the 7.0 V10 from the 427 concept car, if so it would be about 70 lbs lighter than the 5.4 and 4.6 Cobra R engines. :cool:

Just in case Egg Nog reads this .... I can see that smile on your face . :D ;)

fpv_gtho
01-07-2004, 08:39 AM
yeah its definately part of the MOD family. if im remembering correctly, it has a 3.66inch bore with a 3.7 inch stroke and is mainly based off the 4.6L. i think the 7.0L engine couldve been based more from the 5.4L engine, but either way its good to see them going for a front-midship engine location, despite how much lighter the engine may be

more-boost1555
01-07-2004, 11:30 AM
The Learning Channel the other night called "Rides". The episode was all about the development of the concept car, it was pretty sweet. I got to see them driving around a bit when they had everything together but the body, lol, looked like a giant RC car with no body shell on it. Then Caroll Shelby him self took it for a cruise when it was completed. This thing sounds awesome to say the least! I just pray it makes it to production, it's gorgeous and looks to be viciously fast.

baddabang
01-07-2004, 01:27 PM
i myself dont like the concept of merging the old with the new but this would have to be a exception. i saw this car on a tv show called "rides" just last night and they showed the entire assembly from start to finish. it was called project "daisy" any way in the end it did some cool burnouts and doughnuts.

bum-man
01-07-2004, 01:59 PM
i mean ford is already bringing out that other car GT? and wasnt there a series 1 shelby not too long ago with an olds in it? i didnt hear much about it i guess it kinda died off.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-07-2004, 04:32 PM
i mean ford is already bringing out that other car GT? and wasnt there a series 1 shelby not too long ago with an olds in it? i didnt hear much about it i guess it kinda died off.
yes the seiries one had an aurora V8, i guess because GM is killing Oldsmobile shelby won't make Seiries 1 anymore. so is ford the company that will be producing this if it goes into production? or shelby?

fpv_gtho
01-07-2004, 07:20 PM
ford will produce it if it makes its way into production, shelby was brought in to design and develop the concept car as ford were worried if they made a solo attempt at it they'd screw it up to say the least

Egg Nog
01-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I think this engine is part of the modular V8 engine family, like the 7.0 V10 from the 427 concept car, if so it would be about 70 lbs lighter than the 5.4 and 4.6 Cobra R engines. :cool:

Just in case Egg Nog reads this .... I can see that smile on your face . :D ;)

Woah... and I don't even have a webcam :)

I'm totally into lightweight sports cars, but I'm also a huge fan of these rare American V8 Supercars (a la Shelby Series One or Panoz Esparante). They're usually pretty heavy, but I can mostly forgive them after I hear them growl. Either way though, I don't really care for their needs overbuilt/leather seats, luxury features, etc. But I know thats mostly just me ;)

NoOne
01-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Either way though, I don't really care for their needs overbuilt/leather seats, luxury features, etc. But I know thats mostly just me ;)

Yeah, it is just mostly you. :p
All the luxury trimmings are great IF you have enough power to compensate for the weight.

DwZX35
01-08-2004, 06:50 PM
605 with a V-10, thats expected but 260 mph. It is American, so I say expect some inflated horsepower, but I was surprised at the Saleen S7, so I don't know.

fpv_gtho
01-11-2004, 01:24 AM
do you think we can expect SVT or someone like Saleen to try their hands at either the cobra if it goes into production or maybe even the GT?

Batmobile_Turbo
01-11-2004, 10:27 AM
do you think we can expect SVT or someone like Saleen to try their hands at either the cobra if it goes into production or maybe even the GT?
that would be so sweet, having a Saleen GT, or GT SVT(?) i'd think that Saleen/SVT would make them because they tune almost all fords.

fpv_gtho
01-11-2004, 07:21 PM
i dont think SVT or Saleen will touch the cobra personally, i think if ford are after a higher performance version they will again turn to Carrol, but when the GT came out, people wouldve thought theres not much more thats better than the supercharged V8, then ford released the new V10 so perhaps Saleen will convert some GT's to the V10

kko
01-18-2004, 03:14 PM
this is a great car ....

BUT 260 MPH! thats just wak

the old cobras couldnt brake 150 because of aroedynamics in such (bin roadsters) they hit a bric wall

and that's y they made the dayton COUPE wich still couldnt go 200mhp

so ur tellin me that with a slightly slicker shell (still roadster) and a bigger engine that in can go 100mph FASTER! no it cant

DodgeNitroBIRM
01-30-2004, 07:09 PM
this is a great car ....

the old cobras couldnt brake 150 because of aroedynamics in such (bin roadsters) they hit a bric wall

so ur tellin me that with a slightly slicker shell (still roadster) and a bigger engine that in can go 100mph FASTER! no it cant

Then explain why Bill Elliot holds the qualifying record at 220 in a square bodied car?

GT500
01-31-2004, 05:17 PM

260 mph?! I heard 200+ from a few places.....but definitely not 260!! :eek:

Egg Nog
01-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Then explain why Bill Elliot holds the qualifying record at 220 in a square bodied car?

Because Nascars aren't convertibles, they are relatively lightweight, and they're honed for aerodynamics. :)

Falcon500
01-31-2004, 07:00 PM
this is a great car ....

who ever said 260mph probly was unsure themselves but they did mange 180 mph and thats the speed they used to get drivan at it was the small block car that copuldent break 150 mph the big block one manged 180mph ive got a few books that state that and we used to get a genuine one at our salt flats which manged that people asked the owenr if itwas stock and all he said "was at the price this thing cost me i dont haveany money left to mod it!".

DodgeNitroBIRM
01-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Because Nascars aren't convertibles, they are relatively lightweight, and they're honed for aerodynamics. :)

Not in the late 70's to early 80's, bubba. They were lead sled, square bodies then. No restrictor plates, either. Part of the reason why Bill Elliot went that fast.

Quiggs
01-31-2004, 11:50 PM
Ken Schrader did a tire test a few years back at Talladega, unrestricted. Ran 233 average.

fpv_gtho
02-01-2004, 02:32 AM
260 mph?! I heard 200+ from a few places.....but definitely not 260!! :eek:

alot of people are getting confused, its virtually impossible for the car to get 260mph, but its geared to do that. 260mph is the THEORETICAL top speed

kko
02-07-2004, 09:30 AM
i see
ty for clearing that up

Egg Nog
02-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Not in the late 70's to early 80's, bubba. They were lead sled, square bodies then. No restrictor plates, either. Part of the reason why Bill Elliot went that fast.

Well, I'm not sure about the output of those old Nascars, but nonetheless, that's a pretty impressive record ;)

Still, the the new Cobra is a convertible, and the 40mph between 220 and 260mph is quite a massive span. The claim is completely outrageous. :)

plexus
02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
yea 260 what ever. unless the make the extendo version then i dont fit.
besides l like the series one better on the body side. but hell ill take a 600 hp
v10 any day.

MikeNick
02-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Ya i was watching a show on that and it runs on high octane raceing feul and the first model has sheldys name on it.