PDA

View Full Version : What to do??

jcp123
02-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Well, my family and I are moving to Texas this summer, because they're retiring and can't afford the ridiculous California taxes. But since the summers there are pretty harsh (well over 100* F with very high humidity, compared to 90's here in Cali with medium humidity), I need something with a/c. I have two options.

1. Keep my Mustang and rely on my friend to get me a cheap a/c conversion kit, and put it in. Then mod the living sh1t out of the Stang.

2. Get a Cadillac, the car I've always wanted. It'll have a/c already.

I wanna keep the Stang because of all the memories and because hey, it's a Stang. I love that car. But I have always wanted a Cad and would have a decent bit of cash left over from the Stang even after buying the Cad. So I'm stuck. Any thoughts?

Spastik_Roach
02-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I'd keep the Stang personally. But hey i'd love either car. What sorta Cad wouldya get?

jcp123
02-22-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm lookin for any Cad with a/c from 1958 to 1974. Either a convertible, Coupe DeVille, or Fleetwood 60 Special Sedan, in that order. I want the price to be under 8 grand.

spi-ti-tout
02-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Hey man, long time no see you here :)

Why don't you find a better deal somewhere. I'm sure SOMEBODY in the whole of US might be giving an '80 or such for a very good price. Old cars are junkers that become very hard to take care of. The newer you get your car, the less it'll give you problems until its completely aged out. I mean you're looking for cars almost 30 years old....isn't that a bit far?

And, well no offence..but it IS American...which makes it worst...really :o

Coventrysucks
02-22-2005, 06:38 AM
You have had fun with the Stang, maybe it is time to try something else.

d-quik
02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
And, well no offence..but it IS American...which makes it worst...really :oSince we are all talking about american spec cars, european cars age faster than American cars.

kko
02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I would Get the caddilac convertable or Coupe deville. Very very awsome cars!

6'bore
02-22-2005, 02:51 PM
I would move onto a new car. You may regret it in the future if you don't

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Since we are all talking about american spec cars, european cars age faster than American cars.
I think that was only true with the BBC Tardis :)

What do you mean by age, d-quik ?
Styling ?
Wear and tear ?
Performance ?

Quiggs
02-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Caddy convertible, black, air bags, suede interior, suicide doors. Pimpin' ain't easy.

d-quik
02-22-2005, 03:45 PM
What do you mean by age, d-quik ?
Styling ?
Wear and tear ?
Performance ?i dont know about performance, and the styling: im not very artistic

i mean wear and tear

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
i dont know about performance, and the styling: im not very artistic

i mean wear and tear
Now I'm really confused as there are PLENTY of very old cars running around on our roads and very few American cars. It's to do with the numbers originally there :)
The BIG difference was the big V8's are 'lazy' engines ( this is NOT a derogatory term ) and definately more of them will last the 200,000 miles than will the small buzzy I4s ( diesels go even MORE than V8s though :) )
If it's about interior wear and tear, then it depends a LOT on the year and manufacturer. Some fell apart (Fiat) on the secodn day you got it home :)

CdocZ
02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
a family friend has a 1988 porsche.......runs better then some not even 5 years old (then again, he takes such good care of it its ridiculous, he brings it in for maintenance ever month, and the track he sometimes goes to doesnt know if he made a time machine or something and warped a brand new one in from the past)

d-quik
02-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Now I'm really confused as there are PLENTY of very old cars running around on our roads and very few American cars. It's to do with the numbers originally there :)I stated the reason in my first post. its becausr the european manufacturers dont build their cars in North america with the same quality controls...

jcp123
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
No, no new cars. That's just out, period. Anyone here who knows me, knows that late model cars are the only ones I WON'T consider. For now, take it for granted that the two possibilities up there are the only ones.

I'd get one with as much mechanical work done as possible; ideally, rebuilt engine, tranny, brakes, rear end, etc; whatever isn't done I will do myself or have done. The interior and other cosmetic things I can do myself. I prefer the style and quality of classic cars, and I want to restore another car, that's where the fun is for me. Not to mention how it gets you to know your car inside and out, and builds serious pride for what you drive. Having restored 4 Mustangs with my Pop, done Auto shop for 3 years in high school, two of them as teacher's assistant, and having tinkered with friends on their cars, I like to think I'm not a total novice.

I just don't know whether to keep the car that I've loved and has been so good to me for the last 3 years, or move up to my dream of owning a Cadillac?

Radoman
02-22-2005, 09:28 PM
No, no new cars. That's just out, period. Anyone here who knows me, knows that late model cars are the only ones I WON'T consider. For now, take it for granted that the two possibilities up there are the only ones.

I'd get one with as much mechanical work done as possible; ideally, rebuilt engine, tranny, brakes, rear end, etc; whatever isn't done I will do myself or have done. The interior and other cosmetic things I can do myself. I prefer the style and quality of classic cars, and I want to restore another car, that's where the fun is for me. Not to mention how it gets you to know your car inside and out, and builds serious pride for what you drive. Having restored 4 Mustangs with my Pop, done Auto shop for 3 years in high school, two of them as teacher's assistant, and having tinkered with friends on their cars, I like to think I'm not a total novice.

I just don't know whether to keep the car that I've loved and has been so good to me for the last 3 years, or move up to my dream of owning a Cadillac?

Own both. Tune up the 'stang for some serious performance and keep it as your weekend car, or something along those lines. Just a thought.

shr0olvl
02-22-2005, 09:35 PM
So where in Texas are you moving to or do you even know yet ?

About the mustang issue, id probably just keep it and fix it up. What you should do is just sell it and get the new mustang. ;) :)

jcp123
02-22-2005, 09:44 PM
I'd love to do both cars! But alas, I don't have the money for that.

My Mustang is 'fixed up', it just needs more go, which is what I'd do with it. Probably a roller 351W with a 5-speed stick, 3.55 gears, etc. I'd have to bust my @$$ this summer to afford that, though, where with the Cadillac, I'd probably actually have less to do on it, and have quite a bit more money left over.

We just bought a house this weekend near Tyler (bout 10 miles outside of it). We'd looked in the Stephenville area (which is near where my Pop grew up), around Paris (up near Louisiana and Arkansas), and a few other places as well, but Tyler seemed to suit all of us best. We got 2800square feet, I think, along with 7.9 heavily treed acres, a workshop, and even a pistol range (!). I forget, there might even be a stock pond on it. All for $300.000. And to think our 1600 square footer on 2/3 acre is probably gonna sell here for $550-600K!!! Madness...

shr0olvl
02-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I'd love to do both cars! But alas, I don't have the money for that.

My Mustang is 'fixed up', it just needs more go, which is what I'd do with it. Probably a roller 351W with a 5-speed stick, 3.55 gears, etc. I'd have to bust my @$$ this summer to afford that, though, where with the Cadillac, I'd probably actually have less to do on it, and have quite a bit more money left over.

We just bought a house this weekend near Tyler (bout 10 miles outside of it). We'd looked in the Stephenville area (which is near where my Pop grew up), around Paris (up near Louisiana and Arkansas), and a few other places as well, but Tyler seemed to suit all of us best. We got 2800square feet, I think, along with 7.9 heavily treed acres, a workshop, and even a pistol range (!). I forget, there might even be a stock pond on it. All for $300.000. And to think our 1600 square footer on 2/3 acre is probably gonna sell here for $550-600K!!! Madness...

Eh, never heard of Tyler but I have heard of Paris. Oh and uh if you don't already know, i live just right out of Houston. So I dont know how far that would be from "Tyler".

Dayumm, All that for $300,000 ? Thats incredible. My family used to own 80 acres of land in Texas but we couldn't do anything but sell it which we got some good bucks out of but should have gotten more. :(

jcp123
02-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Eh, never heard of Tyler but I have heard of Paris. Oh and uh if you don't already know, i live just right out of Houston. So I dont know how far that would be from "Tyler".

Dayumm, All that for $300,000 ? Thats incredible. My family used to own 80 acres of land in Texas but we couldn't do anything but sell it which we got some good bucks out of but should have gotten more. :(

Tyler's about an hour south-east of Dallas, so I think it'd be a pretty good drive down to Houston.

Yeah, property's dirty cheap in TX, one reason we're movin there, along with the low taxes. I'm excited :D

jcp123
02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
So what I'm hearin is that y'all are split...some say go Cadillac, some say Stang? Dang it...