PDA

View Full Version : Game steering wheels

CdocZ
02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
My birthday is coming up, and one of the things I am considering, is a gaming wheel. I've looked around, and nothing looks like what i want, or I am not sure. I know barely anything about them too, and I could use some help.

If you have any suggestions, tell me please, but make sure they fit the criteria.

Criteria:
1) Must be of good quality. I hear logitech makes good wheels (and thats all I know of this subject)
2) Shifter, preferably having a clutch
3) Gas and brake pedals

As for whether it is a PC wheel or a PS2 wheel, I also need help deciding, as I do not yet know which will become my major racing-game system.

Thank you for the help!

Blue Supra
02-27-2005, 05:53 PM
one with a clutch will be rare as not many games support a clutch. a shifter can be a joystick and you just use it like a tiptronic.

Logitech do make really good ones. make sure you get force feedback, i nearly lost my hand in NFSU2 when i hit a gutter with the feedback all the way up:D

Rockefella
02-27-2005, 06:25 PM
My birthday is coming up, and one of the things I am considering, is a gaming wheel. I've looked around, and nothing looks like what i want, or I am not sure. I know barely anything about them too, and I could use some help.

If you have any suggestions, tell me please, but make sure they fit the criteria.

Criteria:
1) Must be of good quality. I hear logitech makes good wheels (and thats all I know of this subject)
3) Gas and brake pedals

As for whether it is a PC wheel or a PS2 wheel, I also need help deciding, as I do not yet know which will become my major racing-game system.

Thank you for the help!
The new Logitech pwnz. Check my thread.

blackcat77
02-27-2005, 06:33 PM
There's still nothing better than the Thomas Superwheel. Costs a bit more to start with but it's warranted forever. Just a couple weeks ago, I wore out the connector between the centering springs and the wheel shaft on a TSW that I've had for 8 years and with one phone call, they sent me a double set of replacements -- 16 years' worth -- at no cost. TSWs simply do not fail, period.

http://www.thomas-superwheel.com/

Matra et Alpine
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Get 2 old MS ff wheels.

use the second set as the clutch pedal and the wheel of it as spare parts for the wheel.

Just not ALL games support 2 sets of wheel/pedal :(

ACT Labs used to do a really nice setup - 3 pedals, shifter etc . Tried it once, was looking to buy and then it all went pear shaped and they weren't shiping things. Think they had problems :(

CdocZ
02-27-2005, 07:12 PM
ok.......um.........right.......can you just come to a general agreement? Its gotta be under 200 american dollars, shifter, pedals, and a good wheel. which of these fits that best?

Also, should i buy a ps2 version or a pc version? Right now i have an equal number of games for each. Im leaning towards the logitech "driving force pro". Is this basically what im looking for? Or should I get something else?
EDIT: Whatever I get, the more games its compatible with the better.

Blue Supra
02-27-2005, 07:16 PM
logitech has 2 plugs...
everything else has 1...

let it go for a day and see what happens...

blackcat77
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Under $200, I'll have to remove the TSW from consideration, but with the caveat that you'll spend more in the long run replacing cheaper wheels than you will buying a TSW once and never paying another cent ever because of the lifetime warranty.

Blue Supra
02-27-2005, 08:36 PM
look on ebay. i nearly bought a logitech wheel on there for under 100AUD. i only didnt as moneys a bit tight atm.

Chinky_boi
02-27-2005, 08:57 PM
get the Logitech® Driving Force™ Pro for ps2. it is around $179.

pimento
02-27-2005, 11:17 PM
There'll be a Logitech Driving Force one labelled GT4, that's probably the way to go. It's PC/PS2 compatible as fas as I know, proper force feedback and 900 degrees of rotation.

drakkie
02-28-2005, 01:37 AM
i have a logitech formulag gp, have it for a year now, but its second hand so in reality two years old.i have had not a single problem so far.it is compatible with all games i have, no problems at all.i can recommend that one to you...

ruim20
02-28-2005, 04:25 AM
chek this out, i've been looking for something like this in Portugal

http://www.actlab.com/race3.htm

http://www.avault.com/hardware/print_review.asp?review=actlabsclutch

i've had these two links in my favourits for some time! now i know what for hehe. :D

Alastor
02-28-2005, 07:52 AM

Criteria:
3) Gas and brake pedals

Thank you for the help!

I have a Thrustmaster Nascar Pro Digital II wheel and pedal set. It is a fairly inexpensive wheel, and I personally would not recommend it to anyone who is looking for a long term investment. I have had problems with button failure and steering alignment issues in less than a year of use.

In general I would make sure you get a pedal set the supports a split axis. This allows you to use both the brake and accelerator at the same time, if the axis is shared and you push both pedals they just cancel each other out.

I also recommend PC if you are going to use the wheel and pedal set for racing simulators. I think just about every racing simulator since Viper Racing has supported a clutch.

I also recommend force feed back if you have not already decided. If you really don’t like it you can always turn it off, but if you don’t have then you are just SOL (like me).

CdocZ
02-28-2005, 09:23 AM
There'll be a Logitech Driving Force one labelled GT4, that's probably the way to go. It's PC/PS2 compatible as fas as I know, proper force feedback and 900 degrees of rotation.

Is it for both? (Like does it have a special adapter or something?)

VtecMini
02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
They'd both be USB, wouldn't they? I'm sure PS2 has USB support, doesn't it?

CdocZ
02-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Oh, yes, i forgot about that.

So far I am leaning towards the driving force pro. Some of these others are either a bit too expensive, or are said to be not-so-lasting.

man 430gt
02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=120635&Trail=C%24cip%3D22124.X-box%2Bperipherals&categoryId=22124&clickfrom=image
This is what I'm gonna get for my birthday (march 23) and also i beleive you have both PS2 & Xbox. (perfect):rolleyes::D

CdocZ
02-28-2005, 09:48 AM
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=120635&Trail=C%24cip%3D22124.X-box%2Bperipherals&categoryId=22124&clickfrom=image
This is what I'm gonna get for my birthday (march 23) and also i beleive you have both PS2 & Xbox. (perfect):rolleyes::D

That is indeed true. My ps2 was my original racing game platform, while the xbox was more for games where the ps2 absolutley SUCKED (shoot-em up's for example, completly suck on the ps2 controller, but the ps2 controller is my favorite for racing.)

CdocZ
03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Ok, Is the driving force pro (the logitech one) useable for PC and ps2 (at the same time)? I do not want to lose all the games I have on the other system. If it cant, is there a good one that does?