PDA

View Full Version : Votes: Comp 18 Weekly Photography Picture - Runoff... Finalists..

Rebirth of Xar
02-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Well This is it The 3 that tied for First.. now its up to you to choose the winner!

Fastautos
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92652

Henk4
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92392

RacingManiac
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92363

Whoever wins this poll wins the week so choose wisely!

Manik
02-28-2005, 09:43 PM
I have to say racingmaniac that ferrari is such a classic and it is an awesome photo.

Rebirth of Xar
02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
sorry i forgot to make it a public poll.. no one better cheap and use those extra accound or the admins will ban you so be warned!!

6'bore
03-01-2005, 03:13 AM
I voted for racing manic, that car soo awsome and its a great photo

Fumacher
03-01-2005, 03:26 AM
all pics are great!.... fastautos is very profesional!!!.... Racingmanic pic is also very good, but the light reflection on the car is not so nice.... and Henk4's pic is like a studio pic!
I vote for Henk4 ;) nice job ....

spi-ti-tout
03-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Henk Henk Henk Henk Henk all the waaaaaaaay!!!! :)

spi-ti-tout
03-01-2005, 04:16 AM
all pics are great!.... fastautos is very profesional!!!....
Actually Fastautos IS a Pro photographer....

McReis
03-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Actually Fastautos IS a Pro photographer....

That's why I'll never ever vote for him. That just spoils the party. It's like having Steve Davis joining your pub's tournament.

He has access to all accessories, like spotlights, light reflectors, everything. How can you compete with that with your regular camera and regular conditions?

Racing Maniac pic isn't sharp enough. Not his fault. Light in that photo is complicated. But then again, the coolest car is having effect on the results. And very cool it is!

spi-ti-tout
03-01-2005, 07:08 AM
That's why I'll never ever vote for him. That just spoils the party. It's like having Steve Davis joining your pub's tournament.

He has access to all accessories, like spotlights, light reflectors, everything. How can you compete with that with your regular camera and regular conditions?
I agree completely. Maybe if he took a photo without ANY of those, and with just a normal 3.2-5 MPx camera like we all did, me and you could vote for him.

fastautos
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Actually, I don't have access to "spotlights, light reflectors, everything". I can't afford lighting equipment and so I always use natural lighting. I'll admit I probably do have a better camera and get access to more cars than most people, but it's because I've worked hard to make connections with people using the natural talent that I've been given. And having a nicer camera doesn't necessarily mean you will take better photos. It takes knowledge and practice to know how to use it correctly. I'm guessing that a large majority of you wouldn't even know how to correctly use a digital SLR if you had it. How many people even know what SLR means without having to look it up? Could you manipulate the depth of field, white balanace, ISO, etc if you had the chance? Does my 6 megapixel camera really have that much better "quality" than your 5 megapixel camera? I still don't understand why your complaining about megapixel count when the images are sized down this small anyway.

And unlike most of the photos that were submitted, there was a lot of work that went into this photo including scouting locations (very time consuming), scheduling a time for the shoot, and waiting for the 5 minutes where the light was the just perfect.

Sorry if I come off sounding like a jerk. I just think it's weird how most of these competitions aren't even about photography techniques, composition, or the quality of the photo. If someone submitted a slightly blurry, off center picture of an Enzo in a parking that they snapped while walking by, it would probably get more votes than someone who took a photo of a Ford Taurus that had excellent lighting and composition.

McReis
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
And unlike most of the photos that were submitted, there was a lot of work that went into this photo including scouting locations (very time consuming), scheduling a time for the shoot, and waiting for the 5 minutes where the light was the just perfect.

There you have one good enough reason for me to never vote on you. We shoot what we see, how we can, where we spot it, while it is stil there.
Don't you think that's professional enough, having that conditions you named?
And of course most of people wouldn't know how to take advantage of an SLR camera, because they never got their hands on one.
Someone like Wouter, my someday have the skills of a pro, because he does this many times. But still he has the merit of making it in whatever conditions he gets: light, movement, people, fog, whatever!

<AAA-MOD>
03-01-2005, 12:04 PM
I would completely agree with Drew. I have shot side by side with him. My camera is technically more powerful if you're comparing resolution, etc, however his shots are consistently better than mine. I've seen quite a few of his old shots using a Sony F717 that were also spectacular. He has a fantastic eye for the shot, no matter what equipment he has in hand. One huge advantage he has over many of us is his access to many great cars, being located in L.A. We can only be envious of that; not pissed. I clearly believe his shot is superior in this poll of three. I can't imagine what could make it better. Perfect composition, prime choice of background and natural lighting to compliment the car colour, and the skid marks on the pavement is just a hint at what this car can do. The entire shot tells a story.

Henk's and Racing Maniac's shots aren't slackers however. They both have great subjects, but I prefer an outdoor shot setup over a car show any day. I feel the Ferrari needs a vintage racing or winding road background, whereas the Honda is begging for a trackside background. They're both out of their elements.

Just my opinions of course. i don't think it's anything new (my opinions, i mean)

<AAA-MOD>
03-01-2005, 12:13 PM
There you have one good enough reason for me to never vote on you. We shoot what we see, how we can, where we spot it, while it is stil there.
Don't you think that's professional enough, having that conditions you named?
And of course most of people wouldn't know how to take advantage of an SLR camera, because they never got their hands on one.
Someone like Wouter, my someday have the skills of a pro, because he does this many times. But still he has the merit of making it in whatever conditions he gets: light, movement, people, fog, whatever!

you're just being silly. when were these competitions ever restricted to any certain photographic abilities or equipment?

Trust me, Wouter would love to shoot every car in a setup like that. He shoots them where they appear because he's shooting them in their Concours or track event habitats. When Wouter and I were in Palm Beach for the Cavallino Classic and Concours, we talked with a couple owners and had some private shoots arranged. It's not Drew's or Wouter's or anyone's fault for asking an owner to move their car to a specific location or any certain arrangement for a prime shot. It shows how much vision a (potentially professional) photographer can have.

If this is how you want to vote on these comps, then maybe there should be a "Shots of what's at your local ice cream shop today, surrounded by other cars, with 20 onlookers" category.

You're not being fair. I don't feel your reasons are valid.

This is a very broad, relaxed comp. Relax, and enjoy some sweet pics.

McReis
03-01-2005, 12:18 PM
you're just being silly.

Thanks.

johnnynumfiv
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Kinda like this AAA? I saw this exact car at limerock this past september.

I liked how the reflections flowed on the fenders on racingmaniac's shot, so he got my vote.

SPHFerrari
03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
McReis, while Drew is in a sense a professional photographer, do you think that people just ahnd him 'top of the line' equipment. do you think that if you had everything drew had you could get a picture as good. half of taking a good picture is your artisitc vision. drew clearly has it. should he be penalized for seeking benefits for his skills? when the weather gets nice, i will most likely get a photoshoot with my dad's friend's porsche 911 turbo. i will most definately make sure the weather cooperates, and spend hours souting a location that is visually appealing and suits the design of the car. should i be penalized because i can set up a shot nicely? should i not be allowed to win because i had control of my environment. this is part of the game, and if you dont like it thats too bad. drew put in lots of time and effort into this shot. regardless of what conditions the shot was taken under, if its a better shot than it should win. this is a photography competition. a better photograph deserves to win. if i sell a print to someone, in a sense i am a professional photographer, therefore am i not allowed to enter the competition.

Racing Maniac pic isn't sharp enough. Not his fault. Light in that photo is complicated. But then again, the coolest car is having effect on the results. And very cool it is!
you just prove my argument that a lot of the time it is a 'spot the best car you can' competition and your voting clearly reinforces that. if i take a picture of the McLaren F1 LM that is owned by a guy near me with my shitty camera phone, should i win. after all, i didnt have access to professional equipment. and the lighting may hasve been tricky so thats not my fault.

McReis
03-01-2005, 02:24 PM
you just prove my argument that a lot of the time it is a 'spot the best car you can' competition and your voting clearly reinforces that. if i take a picture of the McLaren F1 LM that is owned by a guy near me with my shitty camera phone, should i win. after all, i didnt have access to professional equipment. and the lighting may hasve been tricky so thats not my fault.

just in case yu didn't understood (and you obviously didn't) I was being sarcastic. I've said in another post that if the winner is spoted by the quality of the carm then this should be the winner. I've allready said this photo isn't sharp enough! And the surroundings are bad too. Go and look for the votes in the poll: Henk was my vote...

Relax will you? you got it all wrong in that second part of your post.

In the first part you were right for most of the time. He has a great artistic sense. Is photo's are clever... but we know he always has better oppurtunities than us to shoot. That's just what I've said. And it make's a hell lot of a difference, doesn't it? That's just it.
And being a pro, it's probable that he would win everytime he entered the comp if we were objective enough! ;)
But knowing that he will have the best comments on his fantastic photos, I prefer to incentivate others, so they do better and better. Just like you do!

Rebirth of Xar
03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I think all the senseless drama should stop. If Drew wins good for him, he deserved it for clearly having the best shot in the bunch, but then again He is a Pro so he does know what he is doing. It still doesnt take away from the fact that Its a Just for fun Picture Comp that is supposed to motivate you to improve your skills. Its not like we make money off of this comp so why trouble yourself wasting your time argueing.

RacingManiac
03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I am just glad some people liked my pic...that's definitely not the most flattering shot for something as classic as a P4, but that's the first time in my life I've ever seen one and I've got a make due with how they setup the place on a public admitting day at the Autoshow.......

believe me, I'd pick a outdoor moving shot over a static shot at an Autoshow anyday, but outdoor in Toronto in the middle of Feburary means the only thing I am going to see is a salt covered econobox trying to start moving from a redlight with snow everywhere....

McReis
03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I think all the senseless drama should stop. If Drew wins good for him, he deserved it for clearly having the best shot in the bunch, but then again He is a Pro so he does know what he is doing. It still doesnt take away from the fact that Its a Just for fun Picture Comp that is supposed to motivate you to improve your skills. Its not like we make money off of this comp so why trouble yourself wasting your time argueing.

That sums it all !!! ;)

SPHFerrari
03-01-2005, 02:30 PM
incentivate? :D

im relaxed... sure he gets better opporuntities, but that doesnt mean his picture isnt better, and that is not the decisive factor. i almost guarantee if everything stayed the same except we put you in drews place you could not take a picture that good. simply, his photo was best, IMO and i think in others too. therefore he wins. end of story.

Rebirth of Xar
03-01-2005, 02:36 PM
i almost guarantee if...we put you in drews place you could not take a picture that good.
I dont know who this is going out to but thats all opinion based off of what?

SPHFerrari
03-01-2005, 02:40 PM
im not quite sure what you mean but ill say this.. it is my opinion that drew's was the best photo. if McReis had said, i dont like it as much as one of the others, hank's for instance, i wouldnt have said anything. thats his opinion and people have their individual tastes. but what he said was that he will NEVER vote for drew, because he is a professional photographer. its like making up your mind before you even see the pictures. maybe he really thinks drews is the best but wont vote for him, or maybe he honestly thinks henk did a better job, i dont know.

Koenigsegg_CC
03-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I voted for Henk4 because his pic is amazing!

McReis
03-02-2005, 04:05 AM
i almost guarantee if everything stayed the same except we put you in drews place you could not take a picture that good.

But then again, it's obvious because I'm not a pro!!! Is this so hard to get?
It's about the same thing as giving you the wheel of Schumacher's Ferrari and expecting you to drive it well...

SPHFerrari
03-02-2005, 04:34 AM
But then again, it's obvious because I'm not a pro!!!
EXACTLY!! look, Drew doesnt take good pictures because hes a pro, hes a pro because he takes good pictures.

McReis
03-02-2005, 04:38 AM
EXACTLY!! look, Drew doesnt take good pictures because hes a pro, hes a pro because he takes good pictures.

:D:D:D
Do you really think so? No one is born with photographic knowledge, right?
He may have a natural talent, but experience is what made him such a good photographer. Me, I only shoot some photos as weekends, and started very recently. Only since I have this camera.
You take good pics, and still you are not a pro! :D

SPHFerrari
03-02-2005, 04:58 AM
i am young, and so are you. if you dont wanna compete with peple who have been doing this longer than you then dont enter and dont vote for anyone. experience may play a big role, but should he be penalized for that? jsut because you arent a dedicated photographer and only 'shoot some photos on weekends' doesnt mean everyone in the competition has to spend as little time on it.

spi-ti-tout
03-02-2005, 05:06 AM
[Exiteing commentator voice]
And we come up with Henk and Racingmaniac shoving each other's shoulders for 2nd position while it seems Fastauto's is clearly in the lead for now. Can any of the latter two make it up to the top? We'll just have to see to find out!

So stay tuned for tonight's edition OF....

Photography counts!!!

:D :D :D
Ok people I just had two minutes to spare so I decided to do something worthwhile :D

McReis
03-02-2005, 05:13 AM
i am young, and so are you. if you dont wanna compete with peple who have been doing this longer than you then dont enter and dont vote for anyone. experience may play a big role, but should he be penalized for that? jsut because you arent a dedicated photographer and only 'shoot some photos on weekends' doesnt mean everyone in the competition has to spend as little time on it.

Well, I wish I was younger. :D
I really am not competing with noone, because my photos are very poor. I just want to show them.

carlover
03-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I really am not competing with noone, because my photos are very poor.
Good because he doesn't enter the photography comps. :D

McReis
03-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Good because he doesn't enter the photography comps. :D

Who doesn't enter? Are you being sarcastic with me or am I misunderstanding you? If I am, sorry. But if I'm not, I'd like to say I do enter the competitions, but obviously I can't aim to win with the pics I've been entering and that I usually do. Just lik UCR has made this week with the welding photo. Sure is not hoping to win. But still it's a nice way to keep the comp alive and have some fun with it. However, I think there are many people that should win more often, and don't.

End of subject, please...

<AAA-MOD>
03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Who doesn't enter? Are you being sarcastic with me or am I misunderstanding you? If I am, sorry. But if I'm not, I'd like to say I do enter the competitions, but obviously I can't aim to win with the pics I've been entering and that I usually do. Just lik UCR has made this week with the welding photo. Sure is not hoping to win. But still it's a nice way to keep the comp alive and have some fun with it. However, I think there are many people that should win more often, and don't.

End of subject, please...

I believe it was a joke: "I really am not competing with noone" (as in 'NoOne', the user)