PDA

View Full Version : VVT-L or i-Vtec

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-15-2005, 09:44 PM
read the title, post ur comments

both are 2 stage cam changing and continuously variable cam phasing systems

Egg Nog
03-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I seriously doubt that anyone on here knows enough about each system to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of each one and reach a decent conclusion.

So, neither/both. :)

Blue Supra
03-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Coz im a Toyota fan ill VVT-L but thats cause i know nothing about either.:D

IBrake4Rainbows
03-16-2005, 12:04 AM
V-Tec is a good system.

VVT-i is a good system.

Differences?

fa22_raptor
03-16-2005, 02:49 AM
cam phasing systems like toyota's vvt only changes the valve timing but doent change the actual duration or lift of the cam unlike honda's vtec which litterally has a second camshaft (well lobes)

the amount of variablility in cam phasing systems is limited to just when you open the valve, u cant choose to keep it open longer or more lift which allows more air into the piston itself

honda's i-vtec employs BOTH cam phasing and cam changing systems which is the reason why its regarded as the best system there is available

toyota's vvt-l works in the exact same way and as of now im unsure as to which system gives better performance, both systems can be applied to intake and exhaust cams and both systems are 2 stage (cam changing) and continuously cam phasing

regular vtec can be 2 stage or 3 stage while toyota's standard vvt only changes the timing itself, the reason why regular vtec is superior to cam phasing systems is because each cam profile (in a regular car) has an effective rev range from between 3-5 thousand rpm (give or take) but when u have a 3 stage system in effect you can fine tune each profile to be more efficient in its rev band producing better economy then average on one cam, better mid range torque on another, and high rev power on the last one. regardless of the fact that its continuously variable the toyota system still needs a common cam profile for the entire rev band which is the reason why its inferior

Hehe... I personally prefer Honda in general, so I'll go with i-VTEC but I know virtually nothing about VVT-i. :)

ruim20
03-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Aren't they both valve timing systems that work in the same way.

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-16-2005, 10:37 AM
ruim's got it, they're both work the exact same way but are used differently during implementation

i was just wondering which one you'd prefer

the only slight difference i can think of is toyota's been using vvt (cam phasing, valve timing) systems alot longer then honda, but honda has been using cam changing systems which actually change the cam profile (lift, and duration, and timing, but not continuously variable) since ... well forever really :D

for this reason alone id opt for the i-vtec since it seems to me honda's had alot more time to work around and experiment to see which cam profile fits the job, its worthwile to note however honda currently has no engine which uses i-vtec on BOTH intake and exhaust camshafts, the 2.0L in the rsx and civic type r only have i-vtec on the intake side, but use regular vtec (im not sure as to whether it's 2 or 3 stage) on the exhaust

ScionDriver
03-16-2005, 01:13 PM
VVT-L because thats what my xB's got.

Karrmann
03-16-2005, 03:32 PM
V-Tec is a good system.

VVT-i is a good system.

Differences?

V-Tec is adored by ricerboys, VVT-is are not cared about by anyone but us normal people. :p

CHEESE-TACULAR
03-16-2005, 03:48 PM
from the limited info i know about the toyota engine and the decent amount i learned from my school report on honda i vote honda-shouldnt this be a pole?

Cotterik
03-16-2005, 04:06 PM
i-vtec, because it sounds better

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-16-2005, 04:56 PM
i-vtec, because it sounds better

err variable valve timing doesnt affect engine harmonics or exahust note ...

oh you mean the pronounciation of the name, lol, agreed i vtec sounds cooler then ivvt-L