PDA

View Full Version : So we've taken the plunge...

Turbonutter55
03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
and signed on the dotted line for a new Prius (T4 in silver with dark grey leather). It arrives in 8 weeks. I'll tell you how it goes.

:Exige:
03-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Karmann is now your best friend .. ever heard of witness relocation? Just kidding Karmann :) I treid to get my mum to get a Prius for a laugh .. she got a Rover 116i instead :( Good choice though mate .. i wouldve bought something different but its a matter of opinion i suppose. Dont forget to plaster it in UCP car stickers .. now theres an idea :)

6'bore
03-19-2005, 11:56 AM
and signed on the dotted line for a new Prius (T4 in silver with dark grey leather). It arrives in 8 weeks. I'll tell you how it goes.

You have signed your life away mate.

ScionDriver
03-19-2005, 12:35 PM
You can get all those anti-pollution bumper stickers like "Give a hoot, Don't Pollute" and "Its my earth, not an ashtray" and stuff like that.

Turbonutter55
03-19-2005, 01:34 PM
You have signed your life away mate.
What do you mean? It's a fine car, and it's not meant to be a fun car. For that, we have a FIAT 500R. This is just meant for taking a largish family around London, and it both avoids the congestion charge and consumes less British petrol at $6-7 per gallon.

6'bore
03-19-2005, 01:42 PM
What do you mean? It's a fine car, and it's not meant to be a fun car. For that, we have a FIAT 500R. This is just meant for taking a largish family around London, and it both avoids the congestion charge and consumes less British petrol at $6-7 per gallon.

Its not a fine car at all, they are awful

Egg Nog
03-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Its not a fine car at all, they are awful

Don't be a moron. At least try to explain why you think this without saying something like "they are awful because they suck".

d-quik
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
yeah the prius is the shit. personally i'd like one. the first gen is ugly tho but the 2nd gen is fine. as to how you explain why it is crap (other than the price) is beyond me.

baddabang
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM

good for you, shows class by saving the earth. Hell if it wasnt for earth we wouldnt have the prius. :)

Spastik_Roach
03-19-2005, 03:04 PM
If it wasn't for the earth we would not have ALPACAS!

Make sure you get a Alpaca bumper sticker!

Turbonutter55
03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Even the price isn't that bad in the UK. The guy at the Toyota showroom (admittedly biased, but I checked up and he's telling the truth) said that if we had gone to the Ford dealership down the road and asked for a Mondeo (the same size as a Prius or smaller) for what we're spending on our car, we wouldn't get nearly as much kit. Ours has the aforementioned leather, 6-disc autochanger with 9 speakers, parking sensors, way too many airbags, climate control, the list goes on and on...
As for power, it's equal to most European 2 to 2.5-litre diesels, with less emissions and better mileage.
And we won't get bumper stickers. They'd spoil the clean lines, and block the parking sensors which we are relying on to save us a couple of thousand on bodywork (our last car had its share of run-ins with parked cars or concrete bollards...). Also, bumper stickers aren't as popular in the UK.

h00t_h00t
03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Don't be a moron. At least try to explain why you think this without saying something like "they are awful because they suck".

Because in Britain diesel is everywhere.

40mpg is rubbish mileage if you are comparing it to diesels, even my dad's (petrol) Swift gets more than 40mpg.

my porsche
03-19-2005, 06:15 PM
a couple thousand on body work? isnt it a plastic car? :p

CdocZ
03-19-2005, 06:54 PM

What is up with you and alpaca's suddenly?

Manik
03-19-2005, 07:09 PM
What is up with you and alpaca's suddenly?

I know I noticed that too........ :confused:

IBrake4Rainbows
03-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Congratulations on your purchase.

The little dude chasing you is Karrmann, btw, he wants a ride.

:p

Turbonutter55
03-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Because in Britain diesel is everywhere.

40mpg is rubbish mileage if you are comparing it to diesels, even my dad's (petrol) Swift gets more than 40mpg.
*looks up mpg figures in CAR magazine's stats page*
Ford Mondeo Tdi 115: 50.4 mpg (one of your "superb" diesels)
Toyota Prius: 65.7 mpg (rubbish compared to a similar diesel? I think not)
Admittedly, the Prius appears to have only 70 or so horsepower, but that's because they didn't include the electric motor in the horsepower figures. Totals are 100 or so horsepower and 300+ lb ft of torque, 250 lbft of which comes on from 0 rpm!

Lagonda
03-20-2005, 05:25 AM
It's next to impossible to get 65.7 mpg with the Prius. Most diesels will get better mileage. And the Prius is really really slow ;)

But congratulations on the new car, a new car is always fun :)

henk4
03-20-2005, 05:27 AM
*looks up mpg figures in CAR magazine's stats page*
Ford Mondeo Tdi 115: 50.4 mpg (one of your "superb" diesels)
Toyota Prius: 65.7 mpg (rubbish compared to a similar diesel? I think not)
Admittedly, the Prius appears to have only 70 or so horsepower, but that's because they didn't include the electric motor in the horsepower figures. Totals are 100 or so horsepower and 300+ lb ft of torque, 250 lbft of which comes on from 0 rpm!

it depends a little whether you are talking about the Mondeo TDDi or the TDCi, which is the much better design. I take it that all mileage figures are for imperial gallons (4.2 litres) and not American (3.9). My first generation 2.0 litre HDi gets about 50-55 mpg but that design is now 6 years old. Elsewhere I have seen mileage figures for the prius on par with what I get, but diesel fuel is 20% cheaper in Holland than petrol. On the other hand the sale price of the Prius in Holland hs been made artificially lower because it is exempt from some specific car related taxes.
Just get the figures to us when the car has arrived. :)

Karrmann
03-20-2005, 06:26 AM
congrats, you ve made the smartest move modern man can make!

don't forget the UCP adn Karrmann rules bumper sticker!

Turbonutter55
03-20-2005, 10:02 AM
And the Prius is really really slow ;)

Prius myth #1: it's slow.
In fact, it'll do 110, and get to 60 in 10.9 seconds. Not fast, but certainly not slow. OK, maybe slow, but not really really slow. :cool:

my porsche
03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
i would never, ever spend a base price of $27,000 on that pile

you could get such better cars for less

by the time you option it out to a good level, your looking at about $40,000 for that, get a 996 carrera

carlover
03-20-2005, 03:56 PM

You're scaring me...

2ndclasscitizen
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
i think toyota is taking the wrong approach to hybrids with prius. Honda's approach of making hybrid versions of its existing cars, like the civic hybrid is much better. honestly, the prius is ugly and it would have probably been cheaper to fit the hybrid drivetrain to a corolla, echo or camry which would have given it much better sales.

did i mention that the prius is really ugly?

Radoman
03-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Who the **** cares if it's ugly?? Who cares if it's not fast? It's a god damned economy car, made to run around town and go places without using much gas, which it does incredibly well. Anyone who pisses and moans about a car not being fast or pretty when it clearly was not made to be either deserves to be shot.

Punk kids.

On that note, good job, Turbonutter. That thing should last a loooooooong time.

Spastik_Roach
03-21-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm wanting my mum to purchase a Jap Imported Prius, so we can save some money and buy some cool stuff :cool:

Turbonutter55
03-21-2005, 03:49 AM

by the time you option it out to a good level, your looking at about $40,000 for that, get a 996 carrera
If we wanted a sports car, we'd get a sports car. But we don't. We want something large, spacious and economical. When you're part of a family of 5, you'll understand.

henk4
03-21-2005, 04:16 AM
If we wanted a sports car, we'd get a sports car. But we don't. We want something large, spacious and economical. When you're part of a family of 5, you'll understand.

not wanting to be cynical, but that's why I bought a Xantia Break HDi

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2005, 04:19 AM
not wanting to be cynical, but that's why I bought a Xantia Break HDi
Not sure if turbonutter meets the main criteria in your choice though Pieter -- age :)

It's definately and "old mans car" !!!!!!!

henk4
03-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Not sure if turbonutter meets the main criteria in your choice though Pieter -- age :)

It's definately and "old mans car" !!!!!!!

The Prius you mean :)

2ndclasscitizen
03-21-2005, 05:17 AM
I'm wanting my mum to purchase a Jap Imported Prius, so we can save some money and buy some cool stuff :cool:

with the premium price you pay for a hybrid it actually takes about 3 years before you saving money on fuel compared to a similar sized car

Karrmann
03-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Who the **** cares if it's ugly?? Who cares if it's not fast? It's a god damned economy car, made to run around town and go places without using much gas, which it does incredibly well. Anyone who pisses and moans about a car not being fast or pretty when it clearly was not made to be either deserves to be shot.

Punk kids.

AMEN!!!

McReis
03-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Like an alpaca transporter trailor? :D

carlover
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM

Punk kids.

Most people driving around town would rather be seen in something that looks like it was desinged by pinifaria then something that looks like it was designed by a 5 year old ON CRACK. :rolleyes:

A car sells to more people when, if they see it, people think, "wow check out that awesome car! Quick get the camera!" instead of, "AHHH!! My eyes are bleeding!!!!". :rolleyes:

All cars should look good. I don't care about going fast, but at least have some decensy in the design.

In conclusion, EVERYBODY cares if the car looks good, because if someone sees a really nice looking car that gets 50 MPG and is 27,000 there probably gonna buy it. The Prius sold a lot, but it probably would've sold more if it looked better...

Nobody sells a car withought a working engine, why sell a car without a working body? Beats me.

AMEN!!!
BTW Karrman, you just called the Prius ugly. AMEN!!!

Spastik_Roach
03-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Carlover, it is a working body. Its designed to help with aerodynamics, thus giving better fuel economy. Its not even that ugly, just a little boring, as are alot of cars these days really. Its nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE near the Aztek.

Prius
03-24-2005, 04:43 AM

no accually, 27,000 bucks is the price for a fully loaded one.

20,000 is the base price.

Lagonda
03-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Carlover, it is a working body. Its designed to help with aerodynamics, thus giving better fuel economy. Its not even that ugly, just a little boring, as are alot of cars these days really. Its nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE near the Aztek.

I can think of many good looking cars that have fantastic aerodynamics and aren't necceseraly sports cars.

Prius
03-24-2005, 04:54 AM
I got one, the first gen Mercury Sable had a CD ratio of .23 or so.

Spastik_Roach
03-24-2005, 04:55 AM
And? It wasn't meant to be the worlds best looking car. It was meant to be a cheap to run family car. Its not exactly the next Ferrari. Do you hear anyone can complaining about the blandness of the new Corolla?

IBrake4Rainbows
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
The First Gen Mercury Sable (Nee Ford Taurus) Does not have a Cd. of anywhere near .23. Try around .30.

In fact, the lowest car around that time in production was the Vauxhall/Opel Calibra, at .26.

And an Good looking car does not cost more to build than an ugly car; why bother making it "Functional" looking when you could make it desirable?

Spastik_Roach
03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm sure you'd have to Pay Pininfarina to design a car for you if you were a car company, or anyone really. If they just get some random to design it, they don't need to spend unnescesary money on making it beautiful.

Spastik_Roach
03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Basically the Prius is more of an appliance than a car. Its not meant to inspire exuberant feelings into your soul.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Inspiration does not come with a price tag.

Chris Bangle is paid just as much (Or more....) Than Chris Bird. one designs utterly repulsive cars, the other, Bland Fords.

Prius should not have been an appliance, it really should have started a revolution that would have inspired other car makers to build a better hybrid, ATM, there just sticking Battery packs in their normal cars.

Matra et Alpine
03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
In fact, the lowest car around that time in production was the Vauxhall/Opel Calibra, at .26.
.29 in road trim IIRC

I think the .26 may have been without door mirror(s) :)

Same as the A610 in 92.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I've been quoted as 0.26.

Sans wing mirrors would probably be about right........

Thanks for the Info.

Radoman
03-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Most people driving around town would rather be seen in something that looks like it was desinged by pinifaria then something that looks like it was designed by a 5 year old ON CRACK. :rolleyes:

A car sells to more people when, if they see it, people think, "wow check out that awesome car! Quick get the camera!" instead of, "AHHH!! My eyes are bleeding!!!!". :rolleyes:

All cars should look good. I don't care about going fast, but at least have some decensy in the design.

In conclusion, EVERYBODY cares if the car looks good, because if someone sees a really nice looking car that gets 50 MPG and is 27,000 there probably gonna buy it. The Prius sold a lot, but it probably would've sold more if it looked better...

Nobody sells a car withought a working engine, why sell a car without a working body? Beats me.

BTW Karrman, you just called the Prius ugly. AMEN!!!

You're an idiot. Not all consumers live in California, not all consumers are teenagers wowed by pretty, flashy things, and not all consumers really care what the car looks like, as long as it does what it's supposed to.

Now, I agree that there is a limit in ugliness one can take, but the prius is nowhere near that limit. It's simple, clean, and efficient. You want an economy car where they dropped the ball on aesthetics? Try the old Dodge/Plymouth K-cars. THOSE are repulsive. Last time I checked, they're also everywhere I go.

See where I'm going with this? Not everyone cares about looks, and you're a fool for thinking everybody on earth is that shallow.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-24-2005, 09:34 PM
You're an idiot. Not all consumers live in California, not all consumers are teenagers wowed by pretty, flashy things, and not all consumers really care what the car looks like, as long as it does what it's supposed to.

Now, I agree that there is a limit in ugliness one can take, but the prius is nowhere near that limit. It's simple, clean, and efficient. You want an economy car where they dropped the ball on aesthetics? Try the old Dodge/Plymouth K-cars. THOSE are repulsive. Last time I checked, they're also everywhere I go.

See where I'm going with this? Not everyone cares about looks, and you're a fool for thinking everybody on earth is that shallow.

You've made a valid point.

What i have to refute is that , despite the fact they have bothered with the technology of putting two engines into this car, and all the technical know how that went into it, the fuel savings are neglible.

But also i think you've gone a bit far in saying that he's shallow. Let me put it this way; would you prefer;
a) A really hot girl, not all there brain wise
b) A smart girl, but not all there looks wise
or c)The total package.

I'd go C, as would many people, but given the choice, i'm afraid a lot of people today are wanting more style wise, as well as practicality. The Prius comes off as only fufilling one role; being practical (Sans trailer, of course)

not everyone is so shallow, as you put it, but people don't buy the Prius, at a premium i might add to say, a Jetta TDi, without a thought of being seen as doing something for the environment. Despite the fact it's non-describt, it's become the new Kombi (Ie; Driven by Greenies) for the new millenium.

The Startled Frog look is in At the moment, anyway.

my porsche
03-25-2005, 09:56 AM
no accually, 27,000 bucks is the price for a fully loaded one.

20,000 is the base price.
http://216.110.64.104/BuildYourToyota/step.asp?Year=2005&Vehicle=Prius&sMode=newvehicle&step=2&dealer_code=&zip_code=77024
not $40,00 but still over 2,000 higher than you said, oooooooo prius master got owned.......ooooo :p

Turbonutter55
04-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Update: Prius has arrived!
It's outside my house as I type this. And as for price, in the UK it's low to average for cars this size.
It's a great car, and very futuristic. Like iDrive, but works better.

Prius
04-24-2005, 05:56 PM
like iDrive, just less idiotic.

but really, you will love your Prius.

SPHFerrari
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
but really, you will love your Prius.
im skeptical
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=294032#post294032

Prius
04-25-2005, 03:45 AM
yo u shouldn't really take that to heart, obvisouly a Prius hater wrote that article and it was very biased and obvisouly the driver was uneduciated anout how to care for a Hybrid.

if it was such a crappy car, why did Motor Trend name it Car Of The Year last year?

CdocZ
04-25-2005, 07:46 AM
yo u shouldn't really take that to heart, obvisouly a Prius hater wrote that article and it was very biased and obvisouly the driver was uneduciated anout how to care for a Hybrid.

if it was such a crappy car, why did Motor Trend name it Car Of The Year last year?

Because "car of the year" type of awards are based on fuel mileage and reliability based on how much you pay, and not how fun the car is (unless it is "sports car of the year")?

RS6
04-25-2005, 12:03 PM
And because Motor Trend is a crap magazine.

Your obviously going to get mad karmann. Afterall, the Prius is your favourite car ever. ;)

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
And because Motor Trend is a crap magazine. ;)
I enjoy reading it if that counts. :)

RS6
04-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I enjoy reading it if that counts. :)

Obviously we don't share the same opinions.

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Obviously we don't share the same opinions.
I guess we do since I prefer Automobile, R+T, Evo, and C+D over it.

Prius
04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Because "car of the year" type of awards are based on fuel mileage and reliability based on how much you pay, and not how fun the car is (unless it is "sports car of the year")?

dude, not rating cars on performance on teh other magazines is what makes Top Gear an awesome show. if all magazines were like Top Gear, then I wouldn't be limewireing episodes. ;)