PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Racing Chairs

CHEESE-TACULAR
03-24-2005, 06:47 PM
my dad showed me some add for some golf simulator thing you can hook up to your office computer an saih he wanted to get it. i wasant really interested till i saw da price-$235 :eek: -for this simulator. i said"dad do you know you could probably get some sick racing chair with that kind of money". well i think i really got him interested and i want u guys' opinion/advice. wether u have first hand experience or not what chair do u think would be best

Blue Supra
03-24-2005, 10:33 PM
what do you mean by "racing chair"? like a bucket seat?:confused:

Rockefella
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
what do you mean by "racing chair"? like a bucket seat?:confused:
Like a GT4 Driver's Cockpit I assume. It wouldn't be a bad idea picking up a used Recaro or Sparco seat, nothing too fancy and then just attaching it to some sturdy rails mounted to a chair bracket. (don't ask me how this would be done, just offering an idea)

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Thre are a few home-built designs out on the 'net/

A few folsk have come to the market with these. Logitech are selling the Playseats one about $250

However, watch out , one of the cheaper ones - GamePak at $140 including wheel/pedals - you can't heel and toe, and doesn't have clutch pedal :(

Both of these are portable, whcih the one mate biult wasn't - the downside of using spare seats from rally car :)At the time, coudlnt' convince the "family" that it woudl be a good idea for me to make one too and take up haldf the spare room in the study :) Now hoever the daughters are into trackdays of course I'm expected to build one in a couple of hours :)

my porsche
03-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Like a GT4 Driver's Cockpit I assume. It wouldn't be a bad idea picking up a used Recaro or Sparco seat, nothing too fancy and then just attaching it to some sturdy rails mounted to a chair bracket. (don't ask me how this would be done, just offering an idea)
ask johhnynumfiv, pm him, he knows more about welding than me and probably anyon on ucp, but i would assume it wuould look something like this, hold on

my porsche
03-25-2005, 09:46 AM
can some one resize this photo for me?

i made a really good diagram of what the frame should look like, but it is too big

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
This one is real easy to copy, anyone can weld square :)
http://www.nixim.com/models.htm

But you can make it out of MDF even easier.
see http://www.redlinesims.com/models.htm

http://www.redlinesims.com/images/qualifier_series_big.gif

I've seen a home-built MDF one and it slotted together and came apart with no screws - but was fixed position for the guy who built it :)

my porsche
03-25-2005, 09:59 AM
haha who wears a helmet in their living room?!?!?!

can someone resize this, matra can you? it is easy and sturdy if you build it out of square or tube frame

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 10:01 AM
We could if you would post something to resize :)

my porsche
03-25-2005, 10:07 AM
thats the problem, i cant post it cuz its too bog! :p :D

can i email it?

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Her's one a guy did for less than $100 !!!!
cheap board, screwed together and painted usign an old car seat :)
http://www.bdrmotorsports.com/attachments/P8050237.JPG

my porsche
03-25-2005, 10:32 AM
wow that would be pretty cool if it was xbox or ps2 instead and a recaro, that would be pretty much the most awesome set up

my porsche
03-25-2005, 10:44 AM
ok here it is, basically red means it is supporting the most weight, grey is the side of the frame, and black is the top

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
wow that would be pretty cool if it was xbox or ps2 instead
ROFLMAO

NO console comes anywhere near the PC sims for reality.

WHY would you want the "real seat feel" and then drive an arcade ??????

my porsche
03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
ROFLMAO

NO console comes anywhere near the PC sims for reality.

WHY would you want the "real seat feel" and then drive an arcade ??????
graphics are better on pc? ohhh

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
by an order of magnitude and so is the AI and the track and the handling and the realisms and the support for a clutch and a handrbake and a gearstick and ( do I need to continue :) )

Quiggs
03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
by an order of magnitude and so is the AI and the track and the handling and the realisms and the support for a clutch and a handrbake and a gearstick and ( do I need to continue :) )
That's way too involved; I'll just go drive my real car. :rolleyes:

shr0olvl
03-25-2005, 11:10 AM

uhhh.. duhhhhhhhh. :o

baddabang
03-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Her's one a guy did for less than $100 !!!!
cheap board, screwed together and painted usign an old car seat :)

For hardcore gamers only, Look at the detail, Padded arm rests using foam pipe insulator, BRILLIANT! Would be seriously cool with surround sound.

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
That's way too involved; I'll just go drive my real car. :rolleyes:
Got A Subaru WRC and a Morgan Aero in the garage ????

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2005, 11:53 AM
For hardcore gamers only, Look at the detail, Padded arm rests using foam pipe insulator, BRILLIANT! Would be seriously cool with surround sound.
Reminds me of a TV docu a while back about hard-core flight-sim 'gamers'.
Guys with complete Boeing 737 fronts in their garages and wired up all the lights etc etc.

Quiggs
03-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Got A Subaru WRC and a Morgan Aero in the garage ????
I might. What's it to ya? ;)