PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes AMG or BMW Motorsport?

Brabus
01-09-2004, 11:40 PM
What do you think about AMG and Motorsport?
Who is the best. The elegance, the power and the maneuverability. I think AMG is not bad, their cars are really nice, more than 300hp and very easy to use.
But we can't forget BMW with Motorsport. They have very good cars. When you take a BMW M3... there are no words to explain what this car can procure when you drive it. The BMW M5 and the Z3 M. Two bombs on the road.
No I love Mercedes but I must admit that BMW Motorsport is the best.
And you what do you think about that?

SL500
01-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Mercedes AMG

white devil
01-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Mercedes AMG

although we all know that when you see the Mpower on any BMW even if the car is ugly as hell this Mpower will make 100% of difference and i knew you where going to say that and you know that the Mpower is better :o

anyway this is a good comparison i am not saying AMG r not good they r realy good but i heard they r going to be saparates from merceds and becom like the AC,hamann...... :(

I would take any BMW Mpower any.... :D but the one i am waiting to see it s power is the M6CSL :eek: i m dying to hear more news about this car :(

Boxster17
01-10-2004, 07:59 AM
I prefer BMW Motorsport. AMG does produce some really nice cars, don't get me wrong, but there's just something about those BMWs that's a bit more appealing than AMG.

I haven't heard anything of AMG splitting from Mercedes..so that might just be a rumor, but like I said, I haven't heard anything at all about that. To me it doesn't seem likely as AMG is in the midst of producing that V12 to make the S65, CL65, and SL65....

Swissbeatz
01-10-2004, 01:58 PM
I love BMW and their Motorsport department. For me it's a leader. AMG produce nice Benz but we all know that all AMGs don't have manual tranny. It's a real shame. How can you drive a 612hp Benz with an automatic tranny??? Where is the sportsmanship?? I know that I have a 320hp Porsche with an automatic tranny but I have made this choice cause my wife can't drive a manual tranny and it's not a simple automatic tranny, that's a steptronic and it's very performant.
For AMG I can't understand why they don't have manual tranny. BMW got a new kind of automatic tranny. That's the SMG mode. and it's not like others automatic. It's faster than a manual tranny and it's easy to use.

white devil
01-11-2004, 09:19 AM
I love BMW and their Motorsport department. For me it's a leader. AMG produce nice Benz but we all know that all AMGs don't have manual tranny. It's a real shame. How can you drive a 612hp Benz with an automatic tranny??? Where is the sportsmanship?? I know that I have a 320hp Porsche with an automatic tranny but I have made this choice cause my wife can't drive a manual tranny and it's not a simple automatic tranny, that's a steptronic and it's very performant.
For AMG I can't understand why they don't have manual tranny. BMW got a new kind of automatic tranny. That's the SMG mode. and it's not like others automatic. It's faster than a manual tranny and it's easy to use.

if i had the money i will always prefere to buy a stok BMW Mpower than a hamann or ac.......................
BMW M ROCKS :D

Swissbeatz
01-11-2004, 09:37 AM
if i had the money i will always prefere to buy a stok BMW Mpower than a hamann or ac.......................
BMW M ROCKS :D

True, I don't like Hamman and AC... Style. It's to wild

DiabloGTR
01-12-2004, 09:22 AM
But we can't forget BMW with Motorsport. They have very good cars. When you take a BMW M3... there are no words to explain what this car can procure when you drive it. The BMW M5 and the Z3 M. Two bombs on the road.

My friend's uncle is a doctor and he bought a black CLK 55 AMG a month ago, and he said that it was hands down better than the M3 coupe, much faster and easier to drive.
I like both AMG and M and I agree on the fact that Mercedes-Benz should provide an option for a manual transmission.
It's really a matter of opinion.

more-boost1555
01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
for their awesome engines more than their car's in general. They can make a mean ass V8, I'll say that much.

Evil Ewok
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
BMW all the way. Mercedes is an ok car, but bmw has just been pushing out cars that are amazing. Take a look at the M5. That is one hellatious car. And M3 is an awesome saloon. CSL = best saloon in the world. So my choice is bimmer.

Egg Nog
01-15-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm placing my vote for BMW, because so far, I like the designs of their cars much better. Moreover, the fact that Mercedes still won't give us a goddamn stick-shift!#!#%^*$@!11 :mad: :D

white devil
01-16-2004, 05:55 AM
I'm placing my vote for BMW, because so far, I like the designs of their cars much better. Moreover, the fact that Mercedes still won't give us a goddamn stick-shift!#!#%^*$@!11 :mad: :D
hahahaha :D
i gess they will when people stop buying cars from them :D

Wouter Melissen
01-16-2004, 07:17 AM
My friend's uncle is a doctor and he bought a black CLK 55 AMG a month ago, and he said that it was hands down better than the M3 coupe, much faster and easier to drive.

Since when does easier to drive equal better? Ease and comfort are usually the opposite for skill and thrill. I prefer the second option.

TheChooChoo
01-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I voted for MPower. Why?

My interpertation is that AMG focuses to much on all out power. Take for example their recent sl55, cl65's, etc. Both are pushing close to the 500hp/600hp mark respectivly but they are heavier than many SUV's, while I have no doubt that they are not remarkable handlers, I doubt that they could be the best handling saloons.

MPower on the other hand attempt to produce moderately powered cars in combination with balance. Take the M3 (and the M5) for example.

uboz
01-30-2004, 06:02 AM
M power!

SPN:DOC
01-30-2004, 06:34 AM
The avatar and the name speak for them self….. :cool:

Egg Nog
01-30-2004, 07:11 PM
M power!

Too bad you're not like the guy who posted above you. He posted reasons.

jones.dk
02-02-2004, 09:08 AM
BMW M makes the best sport-sedans and coupés, but they suck at making Roadsters......
Mercedes AMG Makes the best Roadsters...

Rob Mann
12-08-2004, 01:15 AM
the bmw m division make the ultimate street and race cars and nothing is better the m3 gtr and new m5.

lukeh
12-08-2004, 02:37 AM
bmw there my favourite car and probably always will be

jcp123
12-08-2004, 09:37 PM
AMG. For one, the Mercedes image is far more appealing to me than that of BMW, and for another I'm a torque addict. AMG definitely has the torque thing down.

Luciferous
12-08-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't really like the idea of an incredibly expensive, idiot-proof, semi-supercar so BMW Motorsport get my vote. AMG's seem to be made towards cruising (or posing) than being focussed sports cars. I think they just wanna see how much power they can jam in the things and don't really worry bout much else.

jcp123
12-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Yeah the do seem more cruising oriented. But then again, that's also a plus to me.

Rob Mann
12-08-2004, 11:14 PM
thats why m power is the best they are aimed for the motorsport enthusiest not the poser.

jcp123
12-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Oh great. I'm a poseur now. :)

I don't buy it for the AMG on it. Of the options posted here, I'd just buy it because it's a (reasonably) comfortable car with a penchant for speed if/when I need it. To me, that's the ideal combination, if indeed a compromise must be made in the first place.

In real life I would just go straight up Cadillac for the comfort factor.

Rob Mann
12-08-2004, 11:22 PM
amg still cant match m cars for power or comfort, just look at the new m5, luxury car and 500 bhp.

jcp123
12-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh I don't mean in feature content. As far as seats, equipment, etc., I'm sure the BMW is a match for the Merc. But I mean straight up ride-wise, I would venture to guess the Mercedes is a little softer. I like it better that way. Though I can't imagine either of them riding terribly softly.

And like I said, I place more emphasis on a car's torque numbers than its HP numbers. A nice, wide torqueband is what I look for. It's a fundamentally different approach to the M's, but it suits my tastes better, just as M suits your tastes better.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Rob Mann
12-08-2004, 11:33 PM
370 nm of torque, 7 speed sequential 'box, adjustable everything (including suspension) what more could you want.

jcp123
12-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Yeah, not really appealing. Guess I'm too old-school for that. If you knew me, you'd know that's the wrong way to convince me. Beyond power windows/seats/brakes/steering/locks, air conditioning, and maybe an auto trunk release, it gets too superfluous to me as far as features go. A luxury car to me has only that, plus a nice ride and maybe leather seats.

I am happy with my 3-speed auto right now, and frankly, with the way I drive and as much torque as my car or the Mercedes puts out, more than 4 or 5 gears are pretty unnecessary.

And while adjustible suspension sounds nice, I'd really never use the hard setting. I'd just keep it on soft all the time, so might as well just put a normal soft suspension on and save me some cash.

Like I said, let's just agree to disagree. I'm not trying to convince you, since I'm pretty sure you won't change your mind. Call a truce, since I'm not changing mine, either.

Rob Mann
12-08-2004, 11:51 PM
truce it is then...

...M power still the best.

forza_autodelta
04-24-2005, 10:58 AM
the best...we haven't seen them in DTM since 10 years or more:D

scubasteve87
04-24-2005, 01:23 PM
I would definatley take AMG, more mature, easier to drive, more comfortable, and sesriously torquey engines that'll melt tires American muscle car style

lukeh
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
For me it is hard to describe a Bmw M car. when i see them i start to dribble lol.. i mean i could look at them every day of the year and it is still an intresting car for me mercedes amg is not so intresting i dont like the styling.
But M5 M6 Z3M M3 ect not one of them is ugly they are all beutiful machines.

tmnt_ppn
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Merc AMG -> SL 65 AMG (1000Nm)

lukeh
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
just look at the poll bmw is the most desirable.

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
just look at the poll bmw is the most desirable.
FFS, we know you're a Bimmer ///M fanboy, don't advertise it.

lukeh
04-25-2005, 01:36 PM
FFS, we know you're a Bimmer ///M fanboy, don't advertise it.
i'm not a fanboy, i'm a fanman

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
i'm not a fanboy, i'm a fanman
I specify no age for a fanboy so even if you're in love w/ Ferrari and sware them to be the best regardless of facts at 80 years old, you're a fanboy.

targa
04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
mercedes = badge
BMW = car

Manik
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
BMW is cool and their tuning department does great things to their cars. But it just seems that AMG puts more into Mercedes. IMO most AMG Mercedes look and perform better than it's competitor in the BMW Motorsport.

Koenigsegg_CC
05-01-2005, 09:31 AM
I know the poll is closed but i would have voted for MPower because BMW M badged cars are just fantastic!

MRR
05-01-2005, 04:16 PM
BMW M follows a more "motorsport" like philosophy. Have the car lightweight, good aerodynamics, supurb handling, and a powerful engine. Mercedes makes good cars no doubt, but they are to heavy and engine power alone will never overcome their huge weight. BMWs are just better balanced, better all around performance cars.

D2LTA
05-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Both are crap (not really).... badges and a tweek. money. recaros. fancy rims. who cares. its a uber cruiser with poke. whatever floats yer boat you aint gonna get car sick, specially if you ave a dvd player and rear sunroof and rear air con... etc..... cool as motors thou... i know my daughter would love it... when my dad used to take me out in the bosses 635csi and 750il it was like a different world... never been that raw in money land, just oppulent :cool: go to the smelly track days for the thrills. the rest is all show boat.....

aNOBLEman
05-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Had I seen this in time, I would've voted Mpower. They make the more balanced and more performance oriented machines.