PDA

View Full Version : how to launch an awd car

AstonMartinV12
04-02-2005, 01:11 PM
i've heard the things about how if you don't launch an awd car just so, you burn up the clutch so i was just wondering. How DO you launch an awd?

johnnyperl
04-02-2005, 01:17 PM
it depends on the car and the power.
i have a 2.2L NA impreza, i can launch from 2500 to 3500 wiht no problems but with a car like the mucielago you need to get the car rolling before you apply the throttle.

AstonMartinV12
04-02-2005, 01:31 PM
say like my car with 450 hp 3.0 L 3000gt what should i launch from

johnnynumfiv
04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
That deal was legit? It seemed a little fishy to me. I wouldn't try doing anything that strains the clutch because was the clutch just replaced and still in the break in period? You can burn up a clutch on anything if you don't do it right, a kid with a neon at my school revs up to redline and just pops the clutch, he just replaced it because it kept slipping.

Matra et Alpine
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Not jsut the clutch, doing launches puts HUGE stresses on the engine and transmission mountings. You better make sure they are uprated or DESIGNED for launches before trying it.
Seen a Matra Bagheera drop it's engine out the rear after one too many launches - tore the engine mountings apart :(

Spastik_Roach
04-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Seen a Matra Bagheera drop it's engine out the rear after one too many launches - tore the engine mountings apart

"New Feature In Matras's - Automatically tells you when your engine needs replacing!"

CdocZ
04-02-2005, 03:24 PM
"New Feature In Matras's - Automatically tells you when your engine needs replacing!"

Haaaaahahahahahahah!!!!!!! Holy crap, that is crazy! The engine fell out?!!?

Matra et Alpine
04-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Haaaaahahahahahahah!!!!!!! Holy crap, that is crazy! The engine fell out?!!?
Tore itself out of it's engine mountings, rotated in the engine bay and took a rear suspension arm out.
Stupid bravado on the part of the driver.
Too many "dump-clutch" starts and on a VERY grippy stretch of tarmac treated with the Shell anti-skid surface at a set of traffic lights :)
The tyres had MUCH more grip than normal, the engine produced enough torque to tear the metallastic mounts. VERY liekly to happen to anyoen who increases their tyre grip either by sticky rubber r surface.
he designers make assumptions about the loads engine mounts will face.
rally Mini's ALWAYS have extra stabiliser bars fitted on top and extra mounts to the rear of the gear extension :)

taz_rocks_miami
04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Tore itself out of it's engine mountings, rotated in the engine bay and took a rear suspension arm out.
Stupid bravado on the part of the driver.
Too many "dump-clutch" starts and on a VERY grippy stretch of tarmac treated with the Shell anti-skid surface at a set of traffic lights :)
The tyres had MUCH more grip than normal, the engine produced enough torque to tear the metallastic mounts. VERY liekly to happen to anyoen who increases their tyre grip either by sticky rubber r surface.
he designers make assumptions about the loads engine mounts will face.
rally Mini's ALWAYS have extra stabiliser bars fitted on top and extra mounts to the rear of the gear extension :)

Lesson here: Kiddies, Matras are not made for drag racing :) I can just hear the wife: Honey, what took you so long? Husband: err..I kinda left the engine behind!!

Matra et Alpine
04-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Lesson here: Kiddies, Matras are not made for drag racing :)
1442cc Simca engine -- you're bang on !!! :)

my porsche
04-02-2005, 04:29 PM
i thought neons were fwd? or were you talking of the just general launch process

i love in my moms car because of the turbo lag (albeint a small amount) when you smash the throttle it basically goes to 30 in a matter of about 2 secs, then BAM goes from there really fast, but that is a fwd car, and you can feel the torque steer, and it deosnt really "burn out" on launch

in my dad's audi you could floor it and there would be no slippage even in the rain, iyt was really great, just push and go, you didnt have to worry about traction

whiteballz
04-02-2005, 04:33 PM
SRT-4 is awd... maybe he was refering to that. though maybe not

my porsche
04-02-2005, 04:38 PM
ok so srt is awd

taz_rocks_miami
04-02-2005, 04:43 PM
SRT-4 is awd... maybe he was refering to that. though maybe not

The SRT-4 isn't AWD af far as I know. It's FWD like other Neons.

my porsche
04-02-2005, 04:44 PM
ooooooo burn hahahaha

whiteballz
04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
in that "hurricane boredom" vid they put maccas trays under the FRONT wheels, and caption showing "i have the worlds first RWD SRT-4" or along those lines, get MSN and i will send it to you :)

sutton4481
04-02-2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.dodge.com/srt-4/performance.html-- read under the transmission section.
"The heavy-duty clutch helps route torque to equal-length half-shafts driving the front wheels." Signs point to no.

my porsche
04-02-2005, 05:16 PM
yeah i say front wheel drive

ruim20
04-02-2005, 06:34 PM
About being front, rear, awd, i'm guessing it brings the same amount of tear to all transmissions, since the tyres that push the car are in contact with the road it forces the engine, transmission and clutch in every type of drive.

But by thinking about this my opinion about "normal" stock cars remais, it's all junk... the parts that are fitted couldn't be worst, they're on the line of braking and running i guess, if you have to build 100000 cars a year you got to make some compromises.

Juggs
04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
srt4's are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!