PDA

View Full Version : Best game console

Manik
04-03-2005, 10:38 AM
What is your favourite game console. I'm conducting this pole because I'm planning on getting one. Cast you vote on which console you like based on reliability, graphics and the games for each. :)

Niko_Fx
04-03-2005, 10:43 AM
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7387/32024916181607gk.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897&highlight=ps2
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3032&highlight=ps2
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4403&highlight=ps2
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5283&highlight=ps2

Manik
04-03-2005, 10:48 AM
oh come on Niko did you vote at least? sorry it's a repost but I just want your opinion.....

Niko_Fx
04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I did vote.. PS2.

I'm sorry, I've been wanting to use that pic :)

spi-ti-tout
04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
PS2 is your best value for $$$

man 430gt
04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Xbox all the way.

carlover
04-03-2005, 11:30 AM
PS2 because of GT4 but the gamecube's controller is the best for FPS. :)

Chinky_boi
04-03-2005, 11:39 AM
PS3 when it comes out lol.

They say it will be 50x better then PS2 and it will have Blu-Ray disc. So you know what that means.....

6'bore
04-03-2005, 01:02 PM
|-) repost, but I think I'll go with the xbox.

targa
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
i have an xbox...but there arent that many great games for it....so i chose other

Atari 2600 8!tche5!
http://users.knoware.nl/users/stuurmn/images/a2600_2.jpg

Manik
04-03-2005, 04:13 PM
danm targa how old is that thing!

carlover
04-03-2005, 04:20 PM
i have an xbox...but there arent that many great games for it....so i chose other

Atari 2600 8!tche5!
http://users.knoware.nl/users/stuurmn/images/a2600_2.jpg
The NES schools that biatch!! f00!! :D

my porsche
04-03-2005, 04:36 PM
i had a gamecube but theres no good games, and now i have a ps2 and xbox

Matra et Alpine
04-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Ah the days of early "consoles" and home computers.

The Acorn Atom (1978), which became the "BBC Microcomputer" in 1981 :)
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/hardware/r-EU-Acorn-PlusOne.jpg

MANY a game developer in the UK cut their teeth programming one of these !!
eg Codemasters were 2 teenager who wrote games for the Acorn and BBC = look at them now :)

To see the full 'power" of these machiens check out ...

http://bbccomputersite.freewebspace.com/framestart.html

and check out the Driving games :)

PS: Elite set the ground rules for space exploration games for decades to follow. Loved it :)

CdocZ
04-03-2005, 05:00 PM
For me Xbox is my favorite (I own PS2 and Xbox). PS2 is nice for things like Final Fantasy X, but otherwise? Halo and Halo2 are great games. Anything else that I could possibly want is either on Xbox and PS2, or on the computer (Counter strike).

Manik
04-03-2005, 05:02 PM
danm that thing is old Matra! :eek:

So far I'm preobably going to get a PS2, because they have great games and I love their controllers. My friend also said they are really reliable. But what is a better the new slin PS2 or the older one, I've heard that the new slim one isn't as good but I can't be sure. What really is better? Oh and when I get ny slin PS2 or the one before that I definatly buying GT$! Thats garunteed! :D

clutch-monkey
04-03-2005, 06:10 PM
So far I'm preobably going to get a PS2, because they have great games and I love their controllers.
i don't mind the PS2 but its old, and its controllers suck at anything other than fighting games. i like the gamecube and xbox best

targa
04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
danm targa how old is that thing!70's style on y'alls 2004 asses

Manik
04-03-2005, 08:51 PM
70's style on y'alls 2004 asses

Along with the 70's style joystick and the 70's style kik ass games lol! :D

carlover
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
i had a gamecube but theres no good games, and now i have a ps2 and xbox
:confused: What? There's metroid prime 1 and 2, Time splitters 2 and 3, all the resident evils, and NFS: Hot pursuit 2. There are a lot of good games, just most people don't hear about them...

NuclearCrap
04-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, I think that PS2 is definitely better. PS2, as all of you know, has a much wider selection of games. Then here comes the big part why PS2 is the most popular system: Most games on PS2 are based on reality, unlike Halo on XBox. PS2 simply simulates things that you see in real life, for example: GT4, SOCOM II, and lots other games with a fictional storyboard but with real gears such as MGS3. As you can see, Sony is also working on more advanced technology. The PSP is out, and surprisingly, it's the first system that has online capability at launch, and it's the best handheld system in history. They're also working on their new phone, the Sony Ericsson K750, which will be the best multi-media phone(Google it, I don't have a link). Then next, it's their computers. They probably build the best computers besides custom ones. When the PS3 comes out, Microsoft is going to find themselves left out in the middle of a desert because the PS3, from rumors I heard, is going to be using nVidia graphics, plus it's going to have the biggest selection of games, just like it did on PS2. I'm going for Sony no matter what. :)

carlover
04-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Some how, I don't think people should think that San Andreas is realistic. :)

Matra et Alpine
04-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Well, I think that PS2 is definitely better. PS2, as all of you know, has a much wider selection of games.
Qnuantity rather than quality is never a good comparison :(

Then here comes the big part why PS2 is the most popular system: Most games on PS2 are based on reality, unlike Halo on XBox. PS2 simply simulates things that you see in real life, for example: GT4
GT4 is a million miles from real life and doesnt' come near the PC sims.
It's a marketing disaster IMHO that Microsoft prevents developers havaing the best of the PC games run on the Xbox, but that's a marketing limitaiont not a technology.
BUT it does mean that the XBox isn't getting the 'best' on it - GPL on a concole - hmmm :)

Sony is also working on more advanced technology. The PSP is out, and surprisingly, it's the first system that has online capability at launch, and it's the best handheld system in history.
erm, PDAs have had all of these at lauch too.
Again, a MS decision to split the market for Windows supported devices means less for us to use :(
The PSP looks great but isn't "advanced technology", everything in it is standard. They win for the packaging of the parts though.
Can't write your own UMDs so any video you want to watch can only be on the plug in memory sticks. SUCKS.
Can only buy UMD discs as masters so no "backups".
No compatability with PS2 - bad choice !!!
Will it be compatibnle with PS3 ? No firm statements !!!
So looks like it may be a dead-end - bah :(

They're also working on their new phone, the Sony Ericsson K750, which will be the best multi-media phone
Why ? The Nokia is reportedly better waulity picture taking.
But tha't only part of the story.
Mobile games are all Java-based so no real difference in them.

Then next, it's their computers. They probably build the best computers besides custom ones.
Sorry I need to go change my pants having pissed in them with laughter.......

With the exception of again some neat packaging in their Vaio notebooks they're secodn rate at best. They've formed a niche for ultra compact notebooks in the Viao range, but it' s nothing to write home about.

Which ones do you consider "best" ?

This is starting to read like Fan-boy material for computing :)

When the PS3 comes out, Microsoft is going to find themselves left out in the middle of a desert because the PS3, from rumors I heard, is going to be using nVidia graphics, plus it's going to have the biggest selection of games, just like it did on PS2. I'm going for Sony no matter what. :)
So the PS3 is going to be great because it uses nVidia graphics processor technology.
As in the technology licensed into the XBox from day one ? and almost guaranteed to be in the next Xbox with full DirectX support ?
As in the second to current ATI performance on the PC - ATI and nVidia swap places every 6 months :)
By the time any console maker embeds a custom graphics chip, the PC has the NEXT gen available and running for less $$$. It will be interesting to see if the Xbox2 has plug-in graphics and the lesson learned over graphics performance - here's hoping :)
Or maybe PS3 will learn the lesson and apply it first.
PS3 will win if they retain the backward comaptability with PS2/one and if the emrbace the PSP. IF they ask buyers to invest in new games then they'll lose out. It's the PSone -> PS2 that has helped their sales and not the raw machine.
Sony lock in on F1 and WRC rights will aslo be a big plus to their portfolio.
BUT recognise that is NOT technology that is marketing :)

CdocZ
04-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Microsoft does have the bad habit of making deadlines way too early. But, if you want shooting games, I would say Xbox is the way to go of the three. Mechassault games are so incredibly fast paced, and I have not yet played a faster game. Halo/Halo2 is probably the best FPS on a console, plus the Xbox Live setup for it is amazing, easy, and makes me very annoyed when I play something like Counterstrike, and I have to go to each server to decide whether or not it is good, and etc. Ghost Recon is a great semi-stealth war game, and Splinter Cell is also for Xbox. There is not a single console shooting game that I like that is not an Xbox game, or has not been moved to Xbox. (GTA games and Red Faction moved to Xbox, so that solves my choice, game wise. Everything I want is on Xbox.)

danno
04-08-2005, 08:52 AM
couldnt be bothered quoting you matra, but just a correction on that, xbox will use ATI graphics next gen. probably gonna be a seperate GPU like xbox.

ps3 will have backward compatibility with ps2, but probably not ps1 at this stage.

microsoft are trying very hard to get backwards compatability going with xbox 2, but they reckon its gonna be pretty hard, with xbox having nvidia + intel, whereas xbox 2 will have IBM + ATI. completely different companies, but theyre trying.

also, microsoft just secured a whole pile of good japanese developers, cause they want to gain more market share over there. which means we get awesome wacky japanese games :D

ps3 is rumoured to be slightly more powerful than xbox 2, but as matra implied, it will be more influenced by marketing, and quality of games next gen rather than power of the actual machines..

Matra et Alpine
04-08-2005, 09:02 AM
couldnt be bothered quoting you matra, but just a correction on that, xbox will use ATI graphics next gen. probably gonna be a seperate GPU like xbox.
Hadn't seen any leaked specs on Xbox 2, thanks.

ps3 will have backward compatibility with ps2, but probably not ps1 at this stage.
What about PSP ?

microsoft are trying very hard to get backwards compatability going with xbox 2, but they reckon its gonna be pretty hard, with xbox having nvidia + intel, whereas xbox 2 will have IBM + ATI. completely different companies, but theyre trying.
Who is saying it's a problem ? DirectX resolved this for their application space.

ps3 is rumoured to be slightly more powerful than xbox 2, but as matra implied, it will be more influenced by marketing, and quality of games next gen rather than power of the actual machines..
What procesor speed and GPU ?

johnnynumfiv
04-08-2005, 09:06 AM
I've heard that they are using the ibm made processors that are in apple's G5. Would they be able to play games from 32 bit technology on 64 bit?