PDA

View Full Version : Is it earth or humanity we should worry about?

CdocZ
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
All the time, we hear about scientists saying the earth is dying. But is it the earth, or us just killing our future?

So far, the earth has been through just about anything you can name. It was made out of largely lava. It has been hit by more asteroids and comets then we can possibly think about, many of them huge enough to wipe out just about every major organism. Ice ages have made huge amounts of the earth so cold, that for large periods of time, nothing could be grown there. Even today, vast amounts of land are covered in ice, and also deserts, where anything bigger then a kit fox usually dies of overheating.

What should we be worrying about really? Earth, or humanity?

I say we should be worrying about humanity, it takes ALOT more then what we are doing to do even long term damage (long term being several million years).

EDIT: Clarification: Clean our factories and other thigns up for whose benefit, our's or the earth?

werty
04-04-2005, 06:25 PM
weirdest thread ever.....jk

i think we should start plans for moving to another planet :p

CdocZ
04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
weirdest thread ever.....jk

i think we should start plans for moving to another planet :p

That is the greatest answer-straddling I have ever seen. I am not joking, that was awesome :p

taz_rocks_miami
04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, earth was doing just fine untill man started destroying it's ecosystems little by little. We're the problem here :(

CdocZ
04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Well, earth was doing just fine untill man started destroying it's ecosystems little by little. We're the problem here :(

That doesn't really answer the question. Earth obviously is able to keep itself alive.

To clarify, should we clean up our stuff for the earth's benefit, or ours?

Matra et Alpine
04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
For earth to be "alive" you have to believe in Gaia, which either contradicts your religion or your atheism :)

taz_rocks_miami
04-04-2005, 06:46 PM
That doesn't really answer the question. Earth obviously is able to keep itself alive.

To clarify, should we clean up our stuff for the earth's benefit, or ours?

I don't understand the question. Clean up our stuff or ours? Isn't that the same thing?:confused:

targa
04-04-2005, 07:20 PM
...[sighs due to the deepness this thread requires absence}

CdocZ
04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
For our benefit, or the earth's benefit, not our's as some say.

CdocZ
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Ok, rephrase again. Scientist's specifically use the word "earth", when they say we have to clean up the facotires. Basically, do you think this should be changed to "humanity's future relies on a clean environment", or not.

You cannot choose between one or the other, as obviously cleaning up for our future will also help the earth. So really, the question is, what do you think the wording should be, as the earth has proven that it can live through pretty much anything. Personally, I think saying "humanity needs help", as that will really make people think more.

Egg Nog
04-04-2005, 09:25 PM
How about neither?

Hey, some people claim conservatism works! ;)

Misho
04-04-2005, 11:21 PM
I think its Humanity that concerns us more, thats just based on my logic if that we were living on another planet we wouldnt have worried about earth. and even now, if we find a suitable planet and means of transporting everything to this planet, then we wont care about earth.
so i guess its humanity that we should be talking about. BUT with earth having been our home for the all past ages and will continue to be so for a long period of time, then we should also care about it as it's fate is tied to our's. Thats why scientests speak about "earth".

henk4
04-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Earth has been going on quite fine for 99.99% of its life time. Only now, during the minute fraction of time of the existence of mankind changes are talking place at an unprecedented pace. This should be worrying because we seem to be unable to stop these changes and we really seem to have no idea (or refuse to see) where developments are heading for.

clutch-monkey
04-05-2005, 05:35 AM
i say we stop all humans from reproducing for at least two generations. our numbers will drop, and it will also help the gene pool a little :)

Cotterik
04-05-2005, 07:55 AM
electric road cars would be a start, no more coal-burning, all that stuff politicians blabber about and never actually sort out. I think that humanity is what we should worry about with the likes of nuclear war and pollution, imigration could cause a civil war if it isnt controlled (UK). One of the biggest problems is Religion, humans themselves created it and more or less every war is caused by Religion. Then again, an asteroid the size of the moon could decide to take a field trip to the earth, then we're all fudged..

Pando
04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
electric road cars would be a start, no more coal-burning, all that stuff politicians blabber about and never actually sort out. I think that humanity is what we should worry about with the likes of nuclear war and pollution, imigration could cause a civil war if it isnt controlled (UK). One of the biggest problems is Religion, humans themselves created it and more or less every war is caused by Religion. Then again, an asteroid the size of the moon could decide to take a field trip to the earth, then we're all fudged..

Also a good start would be for the US to participate in the Kyoto protocol and to take a leading role since it's one of the most polluting countries. I agree about the religion part, people need to take it a lot less seriously, the brainwashing will have to end. Btw, the asteroid won't have to be even close to the size of the moon to vipe us all off... :(

SlickHolden
04-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Only we can kill the earth and ourselves.
We just got to learn how to look after what we have got. To save it before it's to late.

2ndclasscitizen
04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
read some of Ben Elton's books, they're good for a bit of eco-reading thats not scientific or hippy trash

Ferrari Tifosi
04-05-2005, 11:47 PM
The earth isn't going anywhere, well atleast for another 6 billion years when it is engulfed by the sun. We're by no means destroying the earth and you'd be vain to think that we could do such a thing. The earth has dealt with much worse stuff than us (volcanoes, earthquakes, etc.) We aren't destroying the earth itself just the conditions that are needed to sustain life. We're just a flea on a dog's back and when the time comes we'll be shivered off just like that. Maybe its like how George Carlin put it, that maybe the earth likes plastic a lot and is using us just to build up its supply of it, and when its satisfied with its amount of plastic it'll get rid of us in some horrible catastrophic way.

targa
04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
just thought this would be about right for this thread

end of the world (www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php)

MRR
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
just thought this would be about right for this thread

end of the world (www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php)

LOL targa
even though ive seen that flash a million times...

MRR
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
or how about this

CHEESE-TACULAR
04-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Hey MRR; this is just for you: exactly 18.326 hundred years from now the Maldive Islands reveal that they do indeed have the dreaded weapons of mass destruction. G. Bush jr jr jr jr... gets real angry (naturally as he is a direct male decendant of GW). the U.S. tells the Maldives they better drom their shit in 2 hours. being the tiny chain of islands that they are the Maldives think this means literally drop their bomb. they fire it at the U.S. and the U.S. replies by sending troops to the Middle East. the Maldive's missle triggers a domino effect and all the american missles stationed in canada blow up. this causes the western hemisphere to collapse. because half the earths core doesnt spin it implodes and blows all living dandilions and cockoroaches to the moon. meraculously, the moon develops a radioactive hemisphere and the roaches develop a civilized society built around a religion that worships BMW motors that were able to survive the explosion because they're so stuck up about their german greatness. THE END

CdocZ
04-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey MRR; this is just for you: exactly 18.326 hundred years from now the Maldive Islands reveal that they do indeed have the dreaded weapons of mass destruction. G. Bush jr jr jr jr... gets real angry (naturally as he is a direct male decendant of GW). the U.S. tells the Maldives they better drom their shit in 2 hours. being the tiny chain of islands that they are the Maldives think this means literally drop their bomb. they fire it at the U.S. and the U.S. replies by sending troops to the Middle East. the Maldive's missle triggers a domino effect and all the american missles stationed in canada blow up. this causes the western hemisphere to collapse. because half the earths core doesnt spin it implodes and blows all living dandilions and cockoroaches to the moon. meraculously, the moon develops a radioactive hemisphere and the roaches develop a civilized society built around a religion that worships BMW motors that were able to survive the explosion because they're so stuck up about their german greatness. THE END

You have a very creative mind!

CHEESE-TACULAR
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
thank you-i tried to inclue politics, yellow journalism, earth science, and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy all in one story

taz_rocks_miami
04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
As a whole, I don't think humanity is gonna clean up it's act in time to avert further non-reversable changes to the planet. I think humanity should start looking for a place to move to if we wanna survive as a race in the future :(

Can you say? Terraforming :)

CHEESE-TACULAR
04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
terrr...trrafff...terraforming there i said it-if mars dont work then i think were out of luck
WAIT :eek: we could...dare i say it...try CAREING for the environ ment! :D

taz_rocks_miami
04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
terrr...trrafff...terraforming there i said

Very good, you get a star on your forehead:D

we could...dare i say it...try CAREING for the environ ment! :D

We're doomed I tell ya!!!! DOOMED!!!!!!!! :eek:

MRR
04-07-2005, 07:37 PM

That has got to be the biggest jumble of crap of I have ever read.