PDA

View Full Version : New Ford Falcon GT/GTP

EgreenCobra
01-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm over here in the USA trying to devise ways of getting my hands on your "Boss 290" intake. Specifcally the upper/lower manifolds, the intake plenum, adn any gaskets needed. ANY help is appreciated- part numbers, dealers, speed shops. So far we yanks have been unabl;e to get a hold of these rare parts. Thanks!!! :)

fpv_gtho
01-11-2004, 03:57 AM
theyre a locally made item that ford use but i dont know who makes them. why exactly do you want to get a hold of them, theyre a fairly large unit and im sure theres something in america similar to it

EgreenCobra
01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
theyre a locally made item that ford use but i dont know who makes them. why exactly do you want to get a hold of them, theyre a fairly large unit and im sure theres something in america similar to it

Well if we had them readily available here in the states it would be awesome. However there are only 2 intake manifolds for the 5.4dohc in the states- the one from the Lincoln Navigator (too big to fit in a mustang). And 300 special pieces for the 2000 Cobra R other than that - there is nothing else besides a few custom jobs- although one company has comethrough for the racers- You guys have the only streetable intakes for a 5.4 Dohc.

fpv_gtho
01-13-2004, 12:19 AM
well surely theres someone in the USA that makes them, i mean if a country that only has 20 million people can come up with one then come on...

either way if you want some more info on the intake go here: http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.242&parent_id=171

SHAKER
01-13-2004, 06:15 AM
have you tried frpp in the states?...fords official speed equipment division.

fpv_gtho
01-13-2004, 06:35 AM
well they'd most likely be the best source, but hes said he cant find anything decent for the engine. he says the intake from the navigator was too big to fit in the mustang, well the intake here is too big for the falcon as well realistically

EgreenCobra
01-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Yes its amaxing with this many people, that want a 5.4 intake we still dont have any (well 1 by aftermarket)

There are only 3 Ford 5.4 dohc intakes available in the WORLD :mad:

The Lincoln Navigator
The 2000 Cobra R
The 2003+ Falcon Gt

I actually just got a few part numbers from Southside Ford- and prices about $2400 (your dollars) So well see- Thats a lot for an intake- I coupd oay the same price for a custom IR intake so well see.

SHAKER
01-13-2004, 06:57 PM
well that just proves my point about crisis saying parts arent much dearer for new cars. 2500 dollars for an inlet manifold for a new ford v8,when i can get a quality aftermarket"performance" manifold for about 600 dollars for a windsor.

fpv_gtho
01-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Yes its amaxing with this many people, that want a 5.4 intake we still dont have any (well 1 by aftermarket)

There are only 3 Ford 5.4 dohc intakes available in the WORLD :mad:

The Lincoln Navigator
The 2000 Cobra R
The 2003+ Falcon Gt

I actually just got a few part numbers from Southside Ford- and prices about $2400 (your dollars) So well see- Thats a lot for an intake- I coupd oay the same price for a custom IR intake so well see.

before you buy one you should check up on all your dimensions for the engine, intake and the cavity its all got to go in. you might need to modify the bonnet for the whole backage to sit in safely, i know ford oz did

SHAKER
01-13-2004, 09:24 PM
putting the bulge in the bonnets is the best thing theyve done asthetically since the "Gt" shaker intake scoop and the "nasa" scoops on the xa, xb, xc series.

crisis
01-13-2004, 11:19 PM
putting the bulge in the bonnets is the best thing theyve done asthetically since the "Gt" shaker intake scoop and the "nasa" scoops on the xa, xb, xc series.
I like the style of the BA but I think the bulge spoils the lines. Then again I like the standard lights better than the XR style.

fpv_gtho
01-14-2004, 12:14 AM
well the standard headlights make the car look too european, the performance headlights inject more muscle into the BA design. i wouldnt mind seeing the bonnet bulge dressed up a bit though, maybe with BOSS260-290 badges along the side, and i think from the XR6T up they should bring back the extractor vents

SHAKER
01-14-2004, 11:59 PM
You got to be kidding me about the bulge crisis...it makes it look like the toughest car on the road.....as for the xr front end its just sensational, the rear lights do make it look like a large audi, but its heads and shoulders above the AU. Theyres a mob now making the "bulge" for holden bonnet, ive seen one on an ss ute.

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 12:14 AM
i dont think the bulge would go all that good with the VY, holden have styled it with sharp angular lines whereas ford have gone with a more flowing and rounded, yet still muscular look so it would look a bit oddball on a VY unless in was sharply styled like the rest of the car

SHAKER
01-15-2004, 12:49 AM
yeah it does look a bit odd, holden didnt style it its an aftermarket design, but if i had a holden ute i wouldnt want to make it look like a ford.youd just be copying something that was better wouldnt ya?

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 01:23 AM
something like teardrop vents or extractor vents would more than likely look better on a VY bonnet than a bulge, unless they wanted to replicate soemthing like the VL group a bulge on the walkinshaw

SHAKER
01-15-2004, 01:41 AM
one thing that looks good on the vy r8 is the air intakes on the sides of the bumpers.......it looks trick....see im not antiholden =P

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 01:57 AM
well they'd be the brake ducts, do you think someone from Saab's workign for holden now in the design department, cause the new 9-5 has the same style headlights as the VY

SHAKER
01-15-2004, 03:23 AM
dont know but i saw a 929 mazda today and i swear the back of it looks like a vx commodore, only squashed down a tad.......im not sure how old the mazda design is

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 03:52 AM
probably mid to early 90's, if its the model im thinking of it cam out around when the 626/telstar last won car of the year. ever seen those commodore sprint car whatever they ares, the ones doing laps in the dirt, they look like they got pretty squashed tailights

BMW Lover
01-15-2004, 11:48 AM
it seems like theres only 2 regular people in this thread
SHAKER and fpv_gtho :p

i don't have any serious thing to say :p

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 08:54 PM
most of the australian threads are like that actually

crisis
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM
most of the australian threads are like that actually
I have noticed that a lot of the time the posts are more intelligent than some I come across on the Euro and US threads. Not quite as much blind devotion to a particular marque or pointless banter. Not as many pictures of BWMs either.

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Not as many pictures of BWMs either.

lol, i just gotta laugh at that bit. remember though that theres alot more members on the site from europe and the US as well compared to australia and new zealand

crisis
01-15-2004, 10:58 PM
lol, i just gotta laugh at that bit. remember though that theres alot more members on the site from europe and the US as well compared to australia and new zealand
Yeah but its not the first time I have felt that you guys post more quality comments that some of the others, in particular Euro and US. Maybe cause your mostly Ford fans and dont have as much to argue about. Still you are more composed than a lot of others. Christ what a suck!

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 11:05 PM
yeah i think its got alot to do with me, falc and shaker all being ford fans. even still though, we only argue with you about which is better out of OHC and OHV, and we dont seem to argue with holdenHFV6 at all

crisis
01-15-2004, 11:16 PM
yeah i think its got alot to do with me, falc and shaker all being ford fans. even still though, we only argue with you about which is better out of OHC and OHV, and we dont seem to argue with holdenHFV6 at all
I dont think that OHV is better than OHC. I think it is unfairly criticized on the basis of the age of the technology, not on its effectivness in its implementation in the LS1. My point is that if it works effectively and achieves the designers aim, why not use it.

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 11:19 PM
well alot of others are also thinking that if GM are willing to go to a twin cam OHV motor they may as well go to a DOHC motor

crisis
01-15-2004, 11:25 PM
they must have a good reason. It would be cheaper for them to use an existing head or modify one if they wanted OHC. I think they like the advantage of less weight and the compact design.

fpv_gtho
01-15-2004, 11:28 PM
they must like the lightweight factor. i think they just want something unique in their engine lineup, like a "look at me" engine

crisis
01-15-2004, 11:37 PM
they must like the lightweight factor. i think they just want something unique in their engine lineup, like a "look at me" engine
Thats a big gamble to take with something that they will want to utilize on many of their products. Also it is not , as you say, a concept that fills many people with comfort. Only GM die hards like me seem to want to give it a chance when its produced. It will have to win everyone else over by performing.

SHAKER
01-15-2004, 11:39 PM
damn my covers blown, how did i let slip that i was a ford fan lol..and for the record, my bros clubsport is a wicked car its a vr with 17 inch rims and a deep marone colour id love to have it! I dont dislike holdens i just think fords got better technology and more powerfull engines and tougher drivetrains..... but each to there own.

fpv_gtho
01-19-2004, 02:21 AM
too bad that clubsport has the executive brake package.

and regarding tougher drivetrains, sometimes tougher isnt tough enough coughXR6Tcough

SHAKER
01-19-2004, 05:19 AM
thats why tough cars have 8 cylinders with the drive train to match =P ahhhhchooxr8blessya

fpv_gtho
01-19-2004, 05:24 AM
i could say this

well ford are listening to the customers complaints and are planning on a change buuuuurpBA2pardon

but that would be getting rediculous with the whole idea. seriously though BA2 XR6T will have the ZF and Tremec transmissions so no more driveline lash and spending big on a better transmission when all you did was fit a cold air intake and bigger throttle body lol

SHAKER
01-19-2004, 05:41 AM
ah what ever happened o the good old toploader lol

fpv_gtho
01-19-2004, 06:16 AM
some would argue the C4's better than the toploader. either way they both got outdated with smoother, better responsive electronic auto boxes that have more speeds above all else

SHAKER
01-20-2004, 03:58 AM
well c4s an auto and toploader a manual, ive worn out a c4 before, but never a toploader. I reckon a c4 or toploader with cop more abuse than an electronic trans though =P

fpv_gtho
01-20-2004, 04:17 AM
well i guess thats a reason to take one or the other then, but alot of serious drag racers seem to go for a C4 if its street legal and if its not i think they go for C10's and such. even still though nearly everyone runs a ford 9 inch diff

SHAKER
01-20-2004, 04:22 AM
well for anything with upwards of 330hp at the rear wheels a 9 inch is almost a must, unless you wanna keep blowing up borg warner and salsibury diffs up...(in ur older garden variety holdens and fords.even valiants.)

fpv_gtho
01-20-2004, 04:27 AM
well the 9 inch diff apparently sucks away at you rear wheel power so you wouldnt really want it on anything until you needed it. some guy on this other forum im on was saying borg warner's now known as BTR, fords auto transmission supplier, any truth to it u reckon. i personally think no cause BTR have been around for a while and it wasnt all that long ago my dads cousin was working for Borg Warner

SHAKER
01-20-2004, 05:21 AM
There was a lot of people putting 9 inch diffs under normally aspirated 4 cylinder cortinas and 6 cylinder holdens which is just a waste of money and weighs the car down to much(especially a small car) as those motors dont create the sheer torque, which is what breaks differentials.Nah i know nothing of Borg Warner, only that i had a borg warner trans and diff in my chrysler, i never once serviced the trans in the four years I owned the car and it still kept going and going and going.

fpv_gtho
01-21-2004, 04:31 AM
i think in cases like that the 8 3/4 diff comes in handy

SHAKER
01-21-2004, 04:37 AM
im pretty sure the xr gts came with the 81/2 or 8 3/4 diff, its basically the same size externally as the nine inch and hard to tell apart from what im lead to believe

fpv_gtho
01-21-2004, 04:44 AM
well they probably provide a better rear wheel power output than the 9 inch

SHAKER
01-21-2004, 04:48 AM
possibly, it would be good to know for sure....any of the holden fans got a clue? lol ...joke =P

fpv_gtho
01-21-2004, 04:55 AM
alot of holden fans if they dont want to run a ford diff probably settle for something like a detroit locker, my brother had one in an XD panel van

SHAKER
01-21-2004, 05:01 AM
well it would be pretty expensive to fabricate a ford 9'diff to fit under a holden, although there are thousands around.

fpv_gtho
01-21-2004, 08:33 AM
well apparently theres also commodore owners replacing the IRS with a 5 link rear end as well so they'll do anything if it helps the cars times and performance

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 12:50 AM
in the drag racing circles all the proper drag cars run a 4 link 9 inch diff rear end, as its the best setup to launch a high horsepower car off the lights, the IRS set up is a waste of time and money and not really designed for hard take offs.

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 12:58 AM
would that be because of the tendency to squat and drag its arse from the typical setup

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 01:07 AM
well for starters on the holden irs as soon as you boot it the car squats down and the wheels want to go out on a greater angle reducing the amount of tyre on the ground and therefor reducing the grip levels, plus theyre not designed to handle 500, 600 700 horsepower....by the way i was chatting to the plumber at work with the twin turb v8 xy, he is hoping for 1500 hp and mid 7s down the track, stay tuned this cars gonna be a all conquering beast!

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 01:16 AM
well from what ive read, Fords IRS is nothing like other systems on the market. with the control blade theyve basically put some control on stopping the front and rear end of the car diving when under hard acceleration or brakes. maybe becaue its a semi trailing arm system that those problems occur with the holden IRS cause the main suspension arms dont pivot towards the diff, rather theyre on a 45 degree angle going towards the end of the transmission.

that XY should be a beast, should get some attention off that eddie guy with the VH lol

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 01:42 AM
well unlike eddie tassone, marks gonna drag race his, theres another twin turb v8 in adelaide pulling mid 7s(also a vh commy)and mark using the same parts on same size engine and same weight, so hes hoping to be beating him.

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 01:55 AM
well that'll surely make the holden vs ford shows around the country more interesting on the dyno

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 01:58 AM
hes not stuffing around hes gonna drag race it all around the country and im gonna be there at the first pass to see his twin turb debut down the strip!

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 02:09 AM
well its good to see that hes not wasting his mone on strictly a show car, he'll get a better reputation that way anyway

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 02:35 AM
yah he must make a shitload of money though....bloody plumbers lol

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 02:50 AM
lol watever happened to a plumber being a dead end job. a project like that he'd always be sticking his hands in his pockets though, but the auto electrician that lives over the road from me, he started his business in his (rather large) backyard and ended up getting into drag racing. he started off with an old XJ in pro stock and now hes got a ford probe (aka mazda mx-6)

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 02:53 AM
plumber a dead end job?....dont believe it they make a fortune, i dont know any poor plumbers

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 03:10 AM
well when your working with shit you'd want to be getting good money for it i guess

SHAKER
01-22-2004, 04:18 AM
lol well they dont all work with "shit" as you so elequantly put it, thats all maintenece type work, a lot of plumbers actually specialize in construction, like hooking up new homes with water and sewrage pipes(pre used)lol.and gas fitting, like hot water units.

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 04:43 AM
well its the plumber you have to call when youve got a "blocked up" pipe which could be from anything, but yeah theyre not restricted to sewerage. still not a job i'd like to be doing

SHAKER
01-23-2004, 07:42 PM
well that would be a maintanance plumber, if i was a plumber id place new pipes on new home before they pour the slabs and hook up new water supplies on new homes, its cleaner work and you get a lot of money for it.

fpv_gtho
01-24-2004, 01:19 AM
it damn well sounds more appealing, still wouldnt want to do it though

SHAKER
01-24-2004, 06:24 PM
when i was at school i done work experience at a ford dealer as a mechanic, and all the guys there used to say dont become a mechanic its shit work, get into computers or something cleaner, so i took there advice and never became one, theyre prob rihg though, working on cars can get very frustrating.

fpv_gtho
01-25-2004, 02:02 AM
well doing it as a job might be a bit much but every now and then its fun i reckon, on saturday me and my dad were stripping this diesel landcruiser motor with an aftermarket turbo back to a short block and that was a learning experience. he was salvaging the head off it cause it cracked a piston or something. we opened it up and found 3 cracked pistons and 1 with a whole in it about half the size of a 5c piece