PDA

View Full Version : Bugatti EB 16/4 Veyron Concept 2000

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:04 AM
hortly after taking control of the ailing Bugatti company, Volkswagen commissioned the construction of several design studies for future production models. Four distinct show cars were eventually built, all originally powered by a W18 engine, constructed of three rows of six cylinders. The first three were styled by Giugiaro/Italdesign, while the fourth was created in-house under the leadership of Volkswagen head-of-design Hartmut Warkuss. Launched at the 1999 Tokyo Motor Show, this car was named EB 18/3 Veyron after Bugatti's 1939 Le Mans winner Pierre Veyron.

What distinguished the Veyron from the earlier 18-cylinder engined show cars were the remarkably smooth lines, curving almost undisturbed from the leading edge of the nose to the tail. The only interruptions were for the air-intakes and these were further accentuated by the two-tone finish of the car. Power once again came from the all-aluminium W18 engine, which was equipped with direct injection and displaced 6.3 litre. It produced an impressive 555 bhp and formed the true focal point of the car as it was fitted without an engine cover, boasting beautiful polished aluminium air-intakes.

Bugatti soon after settled on the Veyron exterior design but before the show car made a second appearance, the technical brief had changed. Gone was the W18 engine; its place taken by an equally exotic W16 with a hefty eight-litre displacement. This engine was constructed by mating two very narrow angle V8s on a common crank. At the engine's introduction a naturally aspirated and a quad-turbo version were both considered offering 630 bhp or a whopping 1,001 bhp in the range-topping model.

Using the original show car but with the naturally aspirated W16 engine fitted, the new EB 16/4 Veyron was launched at the 2000 Paris Motor Show. At the time, Bugatti announced that production of the two versions would begin in 2003 and would be strictly limited to 50 examples. In the end, teething issues during development delayed matters by two years and the naturally aspirated W16 was scratched altogether. The production Veyron 16.4 did become the fastest ever production car, offering an unprecedented 1,001 bhp.

The original Veyron show car, still fitted with the W16 engine has survived and was dusted off in 2014 to celebrate the 15th anniversary of its introduction.

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:08 AM
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:09 AM
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:11 AM
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:14 AM
fhghsgdfghdfg

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Bugatti

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron

nopassn
01-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron 67769869

junaman
05-19-2004, 04:28 AM
This is weird but if you take away the middle stripe of the Veyron the sides kinda look like a Holden Monaro, the same effect is present with a VW W12

El_diablO
05-19-2004, 04:34 AM
thanks DarkPhenix these will be nice additions to my gallery!!

Matt
05-19-2004, 06:26 AM
DarkPhenix - do you mind if I edit your posts and replace the pics with larger ones?

DarkPhenix
05-19-2004, 06:37 AM
DarkPhenix - do you mind if I edit your posts and replace the pics with larger ones?

ok... ;)

SPHFerrari
05-19-2004, 03:15 PM
whats the deal with this car? are they gonna even sell it? if so are they de-tuning it? i hear it has high speed stability problems

Matt
01-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron #8

Matt
01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron #9

McLareN
01-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron #10:

McLareN
01-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron #11:

lfb666
01-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron #12

More 6 pics in:
http://bestcars.free.fr/salon2002.htm

16-4Veyron
01-15-2005, 12:49 PM
One word.... bitchin.
I love that car, dono why people flame it so much!
(i know why, but in this situation its not called for.)

Matt
06-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Bugatti Veyron 16.4
The countdown is running

Molsheim, 01 March 2005. The development procedures adopted at the start of 2004 for the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 are on schedule. Four exceptional sports cars are still involved in endurance test runs and fine-tuning. In parallel, production of pre-run models has begun at the studio in Molsheim,
France. Start of production of the pilot lot is planned for the beginning of May. The relevant processes are ready for the start of production.
The technical data of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 mark an unprecedented level in series production. The superlative sports car is fitted with an 8.0 l W16 engine, 64 valves and four turbochargers. It has an output of 1 001 PS (736 kW) and a maximum torque of 1 250 Nm (127 mkp) at 2 200 rpm. The
two-seater made of high quality light-weight material will reach a top speed of over 400 km/h. The first Bugatti Veyron 16.4 will be handed over to an exclusive clientele in the second half of 2005.

Bugatti Veyron 16.4
The best brakes in automotive engineering

Molsheim, 01 March 2005. The Bugatti Veyron, one of the fastest cars of all time, will be making its debut this year. A top speed of over 400 km/h influences the design of every engine and running gear component. This maximum speed is the standard that each and every solution has to achieve. For example: the carbon-ceramic brake system, many components of which are unique. Certain components were developed in cooperation with development partners from the aviation and space industries. Experiencing the brake system in action is just as enjoyable as experiencing the acceleration of the Bugatti. The addition of the airbrake, an aerodynamic rear-wing braking function which is deployed above speeds of 200 km/h, gives the vehicle deceleration values which cannot be experienced in any other car in series production.

Brake pressure of up to 180 bar

The brake forces are distributed with a maximum of sixty percent on the front axle and forty percent on the rear axle. The system is capable of a brake pressure of 180 bar. Braking to the ABS control range requires 50 to 70 bar in a Bugatti Veyron with standard tyres – a difference of over 100 bar from the top performance of 180 bar, an indication of the high braking potential.

Unique cooling system for extremely fade-resistant carbon-ceramic brake system

Airbrake applied above 200 km/h uses the aerodynamics of the rear wing
The carbon disc brakes have a diameter of 400 millimetres in the front (rear: 380 millimetres). The eight-piston monobloc brake caliper weighs only 5.7 kilograms, is reinforced with a centre fin and has four brake pads. Its pistons are made of titanium and are fitted with a stainless steel crown and ceramic heat shield. The pad friction area totals “4 x 80 cm2”. The grooves in the discs for air cooling are not straight but have a turbine-shaped structure so that they are able to draw in cooling air while the vehicle is in motion.

Carbon discs, titanium brake pistons

In addition, the front disc brakes, which are have higher demands placed on them, are maintained at a constant ideal temperature even under maximum loading by a completely new type of dynamic pressure cooling. An example from the prototype trials: during a brake fade test with 1.0 g* repeated
braking from 310 km/h to 80 km/h (acceleration from 80 km/h to 310 km/h + subsequent braking in only 22 seconds per cycle in total!), a thermal equilibrium was achieved after braking for the twentieth time – even then, the brake fluid temperature stayed below the defined 220°C level and the top surface of the discs below a 1 000°C limit. The technical structure of the air supply is unique in this context: From 310 km/h to 80 km/h and back repeatedly without fading.

To achieve the greatest possible dynamic pressure and therefore make use of high volumes of air, the cooling air stream enters a duct located in the best possible position in the front of the car. On the way to the brakes, the air also cools the front differential of the four-wheel drive and the battery as it
flows past. The air stream then flows from the centre of the vehicle towards the carbon discs and pads. Just before the air flows around both of these it meets a unique component which guarantees the stability never before achieved in this type of brake system: a FroSt swivel bearing (Flow Rotating
System) with a special air duct with a tapering spiral and allows for a large amount of air flow in a narrow space.

The air flows into the swivel bearing and into the increasingly small space, accelerates with a swirl towards the rotating brake discs and is then released back into the open air through the turbineshaped vanes inside the discs as a turbulent current. A side stream is also directed through small ducts in the stainless steel crowns of the disc on the surface of the disc and through an air outlet in the swivel bearing directly onto the caliper and the pads.

Unique dynamic pressure cooling

As previously mentioned, the rear wing functions as an airbrake, optimising braking performance at speeds above 200 km/h. The wing is then angled at 70 degrees in less than 0.4 seconds, which has several consequences. Firstly: the rear axle downforce is increased, therefore improving the distribution of the brake force between the front and rear axles. Secondly: air resistance is increased, as in an aeroplane when landing. The airbrake alone produces a maximum deceleration of 0.6 g* at high speeds. It is activated via the brake pedal. The wheel brakes themselves achieve – with standard
tyres on appropriate road surfaces – deceleration values of around 1.3 g*. With full brake application at 400 km/h, the Bugatti Veyron would come to a standstill in considerably less than 10 seconds!

Rear-wing becomes airbrake in 0.4 seconds

Another innovative detail is the handbrake. Bugatti has installed a separate brake caliper here, as is customary in sports cars. However, the fact that this component is operated electronically and has full ABS function together with a parking brake auto release system makes it unique. In the highly
unlikely event of a fault with the main brakes, the driver would be able to bring the Bugatti Veyron to a safe and stable stop below a certain speed limit, even on a surface with varied friction values (for example, ice on the right, dry as a bone on the left). What is more, this caliper is fitted with
wear-resistant ceramic brake pads designed to last for the complete life-time of the vehicle.

Handbrake with ceramic brake pads

It is clear that Bugatti has designed an ESP brake system which corresponds to the high performance reserves of the Veyron completely. Thanks to a complex and intelligent mechatronic system to activate the rear differential lock and the front four-wheel drive, the Bugatti Veyron is entering driving
dynamics territory still uncharted even by racing cars. A progressive ESP system ensures that the exceptional sports car can still complete its laps safely even if the dynamic limits already appear to have been exceeded. On the one hand, it is based on familiar features; on the other hand, it has
numerous new functions developed specifically for the Veyron. And this is true of the full speed range! A crucial factor in this is that the brake electronics do not restrict the outstanding driving performance, but rather they improve the lap times which can be achieved on the world’s really fast
and appealing circuits.

Matt
06-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Bugatti 16/4 Veyron #13

Wolf03
06-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Two words...that's insane.

What drives these people to build cars with such ridiculous speeds.

derekthetree
06-05-2005, 12:42 PM
oh my god the veyron is finally beaten in the numbers game!

it has front brakes that are ONLY a piffling 400mm in diameter. the bentley conti gt beats it by a MASSIVE 5mm!!!!

stitch that bugatti :D

Matra et Alpine
09-05-2005, 06:47 AM
nice flash 3d view of the engine and internals is at www.bugatti-cars.de

go models, veyron, egineering, engine, 360 view :)

Type 59
09-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Alain Prost tested Bugatti Veyron at the time of the day of presentation which A took place with Molsheim last weekend. He made party of the 800 guests present, he obviously appreciated the test of the beast.

More on this page : http://www.bugattipage.com/#News

nopassn
10-14-2005, 08:44 PM
more...

tmnt_ppn
04-08-2006, 10:59 PM
hmm i've just noticed, some of those veyron (like in first few post), have air scoop behind the front wheels, while most dont. anybody know why? different year maybe? which is newer?

McLareN
04-09-2006, 04:13 AM
hmm i've just noticed, some of those veyron (like in first few post), have air scoop behind the front wheels, while most dont. anybody know why? different year maybe? which is newer?

Thats because the first Veyrons shown here (post #1 to post #18) are prototypes not production cars.

Coventrysucks
04-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I hear they're putting up the price by 100,000 euros + taxes.

No explanation of why though.

I can't ever imagine that the extra 100,000 per car is going to make the difference between making a profit or not...

netburner
04-12-2006, 03:49 AM
I hear they're putting up the price by 100,000 euros + taxes.

No explanation of why though.

I can't ever imagine that the extra 100,000 per car is going to make the difference between making a profit or not...

They will do that in Germany in next year because of higher taxes we will have on everything :(

EL Nino
05-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Are there any Design Sketches from the Bugatti Veyron? And who designed the car?

andy.muc
05-13-2006, 11:33 AM

Every Veyron costs VW about 4 mio. so no its not gonna make the difference :D

Kooper
05-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Are there any Design Sketches from the Bugatti Veyron? And who designed the car?

I'm just taking a guess here, but Hartmut Warkuss might have had something to do with the lines.

waggles
06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Well then, you can go out and buy the car and work it out.

FordGT
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Does anyone have any more images of this particular Veyron? It was shown at either the 2001 or 2002 Frankfurt show.

http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/veyron.jpg

Coventrysucks
08-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Does anyone have any more images of this particular Veyron? It was shown at either the 2001 or 2002 Frankfurt show.

http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/veyron.jpg

There are 11 of that same car in This Thread (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matts-hi-res-hide-out/1380-bugatti-16-4-veyron.html) and 4 more of one the same colour, but possibly not that particular car in This Thread (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matts-hi-res-hide-out/1380-bugatti-16-4-veyron.html).

netburner
08-28-2007, 04:53 AM
It was shown at either the 2001 or 2002 Frankfurt show.

Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA) is only every 2 years, so it was 2001 ;)

Roentgen
06-18-2008, 12:38 AM
The title of the thread is Veyron 16/4. Some of the pics, especially in the first page is of the 18/4.

Gt1Street
06-18-2008, 12:50 AM
The title of the thread is Veyron 16/4. Some of the pics, especially in the first page is of the 18/4.

no idea what you are on about...

LeonOfTheDead
06-18-2008, 04:11 AM

I could't find any pics of the 18/4 concept.
I didn't checked the name of the files.
and, I don't want to hurt you in some way, but can you post more "interesting" posts while reviving old thread? it's not a problem, this forum is a free space where every of us can express its opinions and ideas, but you are not constructing a good reputation of yourself in this way. I hope you'll get me right.

Roentgen
07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
The Veyron 18/4 is the first concept of this car. There's a thread especially for that. It means 18 cylinders and 4 turbo chargers, while the 16/4 obviously means 16 cylinders and 4 turbos chargers. If you didn't know this, then you obviously aren't a petrolhead.

Pictures of it that shouldn't be in this particular thread include the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pic of the 4th post in the first page. There are others. Those are pictures of the Veyron 18/4 concept. It can be easily distinguished by the lowered front lights.

I was only meaning to help out, by sharing with you guys what I know about this car, pointing out what is wrong. If doing this will ruin my reputation, then this is a very sad website, filled by very sad people, and arrogant people.

Rockefella
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
EDIT: That's not the 16.4 concept? The license plate says 16.4 in those three pictures.

Gt1Street
07-06-2008, 10:27 PM
The Veyron 18/4 is the first concept of this car. There's a thread especially for that. It means 18 cylinders and 4 turbo chargers, while the 16/4 obviously means 16 cylinders and 4 turbos chargers. If you didn't know this, then you obviously aren't a petrolhead.

Pictures of it that shouldn't be in this particular thread include the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pic of the 4th post in the first page. There are others. Those are pictures of the Veyron 18/4 concept. It can be easily distinguished by the lowered front lights.

I was only meaning to help out, by sharing with you guys what I know about this car, pointing out what is wrong. If doing this will ruin my reputation, then this is a very sad website, filled by very sad people, and arrogant people.

again, I think you have a mistake there buddy.
they all look and state 16.4

Roentgen
07-06-2008, 10:29 PM
They state 16/4 but they're wrongly stated. Those pics mentioned above is the 18/4. They're 2 different cars.

Roentgen
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Check out the 18/4 thread. Because those pics are correct. What Rockefella said is true and indeed very interesting.

Either way, I'm 100% certain that the car in those pics are of the 18/4 concept, which is the first concept of the Veyron.

Gt1Street
07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Check out the 18/4 thread. Because those pics are correct. What Rockefella said is true and indeed very interesting.

Either way, I'm 100% certain that the car in those pics are of the 18/4 concept, which is the first concept of the Veyron.

there's nothing in the http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matt-s-hi-res-hide-out/13901-bugatti-18-4-veyron.html thread to confirm your thoughts, all pics of the 18.4 clearly state that.
I think that bugatti know what they are doing abit better then us both.

Roentgen
07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Please do some research on the Bugatti Veyron. As I said, I only wish to help, not to disappoint or argue.

But please do understand, there are 4 different versions of the Veyron, the first of which, which was out I think some time in 1999-2000, is the 18.4 concept. It is as I said, clearly distinguishable by the lowered front lights. Also, the wheels are not available in any other Veyrons.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article of the car. Please read the History section.

Bugatti Veyron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron)

Gt1Street
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Please do some research on the Bugatti Veyron. As I said, I only wish to help, not to disappoint or argue.

But please do understand, there are 4 different versions of the Veyron, the first of which, which was out I think some time in 1999-2000, is the 18.4 concept. It is as I said, clearly distinguishable by the lowered front lights. Also, the wheels are not available in any other Veyrons.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article of the car. Please read the History section.

Bugatti Veyron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron)

I understand where its coming from and I all for correcting mistakes when they are done, I do want to keep the hideout and indeed all of UCP as accurate as possible. But I'm failing to see the differances between the models you are talking about. and wikipedia is not really a reliable source as I can go an add your name as a fifth version of the bugatti :p

Roentgen
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Can you not see the lowered front lights?

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Sorry for making such a fuss about such a minor error. I did this in reply to what LeonofTheDead said about my profile. This is not an opinion. This is fact. It is hard to change the minds of the stubborn, but the proof is present and clear, and I shall argue no more about this.

Wouter Melissen
07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Sorry for making such a fuss about such a minor error. I did this in reply to what LeonofTheDead said about my profile. This is not an opinion. This is fact. It is hard to change the minds of the stubborn, but the proof is present and clear, and I shall argue no more about this.

It is obviously not clear. Maybe you can be a little more precise and show samples of both cars.

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 01:47 AM

but he has a point: the pic of the inteorio in the 4th post is from the 1999 18/4 Concept.
as far for the others, those wheels aren't from the 18/4 car, but from the first 16/4 concept, AFAIK.
and, Roentgen, I wasn't referring to your car's knowledge, but at the way you were posting comment on old thread just to say "wow" or something similar, without adding some new pics or a relevant comment.

and finally, the 18/4 couldn't have 4 turbos since it has only 3 banks of cylinders.
I know it is possible to use a 4 turbo layout, as in some MB Sl diesel concept with 3 turbo on a V6, IIRC, but that is not the case. probably, it would also be too much cumbersome connecting three different banks with the main and bigger turbo
so the 4 stands for 4WD, IIRC

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 01:56 AM
It is obviously not clear. Maybe you can be a little more precise and show samples of both cars.

Here are pics of both the 18/4 and the 16/4. Unless one has slight vision impairments, it is obvious that the 18/4's headlights are placed lower than the the 16/4's, in fact, it's level with the horse-shoe grill unlike the 16/4 which sits slightly above.

The side windows of the 18/4 appear larger because it doesn't have the door pillars (sorry, don't know terminology... clumsy!).

The spoiler is simpler, and less technical.

The rare lights of the 18/4 appears slightly larger, and back is more rounded. Also, bottom of rare is not as busy as the 16/4.

Finally, and most importantly, the engine. The Engine of the 18/4, as the name suggests is a W18 engine (3 banks of 6 cylinders), and 4 turbochargers. The 16/4's as all would know is a W16 with 4 turbos.
Even thought the 18/4 has more cylinders, it still has less power than the 16/4.

The 18/4 is concentrates more on the look, while the 16/4 concentrates more as a technical exercise for VW. Therefore, there are 3 16/4s, the last one of which is the production model.

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 01:57 AM
I'll need to look into the 4 turbo thing...

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 02:06 AM
this image (first) is referring to the car Roentgen is saying it's a 18/4. it surely is the same car since is photographed next to the old Type 35 as in the frontal pics. but in this pictures, you can see the symmetric disposition of the air intake for the two superior banks of cylinders, something you can find only in a W16 cylinder layout.
i had other pics to make it as clearer as possible.

then, the headlights are exactly in the same position, is the grille that is position in a different way since in the first concept of both the 18/4 and 16/4 the plate was attached under the grill and not on the side.
btw, the 16/4 changed a lot during years until 2005.

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 02:13 AM
... what he said.

My point is, they're 2 different cars.

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 02:30 AM
what I said: you cannot distinguish a 18 from a 16 for that detail (headlight/grille) since it's present both the cars (2000 16/4 first model)

Gt1Street
07-07-2008, 02:31 AM
well, except for the interior shot its clear that the pics in post 4 of the thread are the 16.4, which is just a bit harder to dispute.
other then that if you could bring proof that non of those different grill 16.4 saw production and arrived at customers hands then we indeed should send them to a new thread which will contain the concept info and pictures

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 03:17 AM
It's not just the front lights.

I'm certain Bugatti only built the 18/4 differently design-wise than all the 16/4s. I understand that they've developed the 16/4 a lot, but not the look. the 2001 Frankfurt model was the new template of the Veyron, and as I said, the most clearly distinguishable feature is the front lights being raised higher.

Unless they built a version of the 16/4 using the Veyron 18/4 concept's template, the 16/4 is quite different from the 18/4 visually, irrespective of what the number plate says. And if that indeed is the case, then I must say I'm wrong.

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 05:16 AM
It's not just the front lights.

I'm certain Bugatti only built the 18/4 differently design-wise than all the 16/4s. I understand that they've developed the 16/4 a lot, but not the look. the 2001 Frankfurt model was the new template of the Veyron, and as I said, the most clearly distinguishable feature is the front lights being raised higher.

Unless they built a version of the 16/4 using the Veyron 18/4 concept's template, the 16/4 is quite different from the 18/4 visually, irrespective of what the number plate says. And if that indeed is the case, then I must say I'm wrong.

post #92, pic #1
that is the car also featured in post #4, it has those rims you said aren't offered (it was still a concept at that time) on any other 16.4, and it has 16 cylinders, even if the engine bay appears different from the final models. I don't know what kind of other evidence you need.
the look changed a lot in details, for example in that pic I'm referring it still didn't have the rear wing, or the big side vents appeared during development and then removed on the production model.

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 06:39 AM
That is the same car, and I know that. But are you sure that is also a 16/4 other than reading it off the number plate?

Kitdy
07-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Well this got hostile quickly - someone raises a valid concern and then a war of words breaks out. I'm interested to know what Rocke said before he deleted it.

I think the 18/4 and 16/4 look extremely alike form the front - I looked for the lowered headlights but saw nothing until Roentgen pointed out that they were at different heights with respect to the grill.

Anyways, the main difference that I see between the 18/4 and 16/4 from the front is simple: the 16/4 has a little vertical chrome piece in the grill, the 18/4 doesn't; another difference is the front intakes.

However, I think the issue my be that early 16/4s shared the same looks as the the 18/4 - it seems unlikely to me that Bugatti would have an 18/4 with 16/4 plates on it.

Aha - I think I solved it, unfortunately, I had to go to UCP's most bitter enemy, the site that shall not be named (http://www.supercars.net/cars/251.html).

The early 16/4 looked like the 18/4 as I predicted. Mystery solved.

See below:

Pic 1, 18/4, pic 2, 16/4.

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
That is the same car, and I know that. But are you sure that is also a 16/4 other than reading it off the number plate?

it has 16 cylinders!
look at the engine and count!

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Well this got hostile quickly - someone raises a valid concern and then a war of words breaks out. I'm interested to know what Rocke said before he deleted it.

I think the 18/4 and 16/4 look extremely alike form the front - I looked for the lowered headlights but saw nothing until Roentgen pointed out that they were at different heights with respect to the grill.

Anyways, the main difference that I see between the 18/4 and 16/4 from the front is simple: the 16/4 has a little vertical chrome piece in the grill, the 18/4 doesn't; another difference is the front intakes.

However, I think the issue my be that early 16/4s shared the same looks as the the 18/4 - it seems unlikely to me that Bugatti would have an 18/4 with 16/4 plates on it.

Aha - I think I solved it, unfortunately, I had to go to UCP's most bitter enemy, the site that shall not be named (http://www.supercars.net/cars/251.html).

The early 16/4 looked like the 18/4 as I predicted. Mystery solved.

See below:

Pic 1, 18/4, pic 2, 16/4.

I used the same pic of your not to be named link.
the first 16.4 was basically a 18.4 with a different powertrain. since they probably were not-so-running prototypes, it would makes a sense for me.

Roentgen
07-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Ah, this makes sense then. So Bugatti did in fact make 2 different engines for the same look of the 18/4. Problem solved.