PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2 to be unveiled on MTV on May 12th

Alastor
04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Microsoft's next-generation Xbox console is set to be unveiled to the world not at E3, as was previously believed, but in a half-hour long special to be aired on MTV the week previously, on May 12th.

The move is a massive break with tradition on Microsoft's part, and will get the Xbox 2 in front of consumers several days ahead of the unveiling of Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Revolution in Los Angeles the following week.

"It doesn't make sense to unveil the product behind a closed door, at a trade-only event," according to Microsoft corporate VP Peter Moore. "We wanted to talk directly to the consumer first."

The half-hour show will be a star studded affair, hosted by Lord of the Rings actor Elijah Wood and featuring a range of athletes, celebrities and even a live performance from rock band The Killers.

Last week it emerged that Sony's pre-E3 press conference has been scheduled to take place a few hours ahead of Microsoft's event, reversing the running order of previous years and supposedly giving the PS3 a head-start over Xbox 2 in the coverage war.

Xbox 2 - or whatever the console is eventually called, as it's believed that both Microsoft and Sony have ditched the sequential numbering system for their new machines - will be launched late this year, with an October / November date currently on the cards. Neither Sony nor Nintendo is expected to launch new hardware until 2006.

Microsoft is also running a viral marketing game to lead up to the May 12th unveiling of Xbox 2, with the "OurColony" game mimicking many features of the hugely successful Halo 2 "I Love Bees" viral game, and giving players tantalising sneak peeks at some aspects of the console and controller's design - although so far the main info to be gleaned is that the controller is probably white, which ties in with reports from sources close to Microsoft that it has gone with a white colour scheme for the system this time around.

…and one more reason to watch MTV ;-)

PsychoChimp22
04-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Nice, thanks for the news man.
And i do believe that this would be the only reason to watch mtv. ;)

:Exige:
04-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Time to sell my Xbox i think ;)

Cotterik
04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
ah crap looks like that camera i was saving up for will have to wait...ill get the ps3 i think, because its being released later, they have the advantage of being able to improve on what the xbox 2 turns out to be, just like the xbox did with the ps2.

CdocZ
04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
If Xbox 2 is coming out within half a year from it's announcement, then Microsoft was retarded about Halo 2's deadline, and the people who decided about that should be shot. Fast.

But yeah, greeat reason to make the TV remember that MTV exists. :p

targa
04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
when ever it comes out, im getting it a year later

Niko_Fx
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM
And i do believe that this would be the only reason to watch mtv. ;)

Right on!

Ford_boy88
04-11-2005, 07:49 PM
does anyone no wat sort of prices the new consoles will be

CdocZ
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM

Sadistically expensive, but that is how it will be with PS3 also as they are moving up to MUCH higher parts standards. Also, nowadays you are paying for quite a bit more then a simple gaming console, your paying for the very few lines of code that allows you to watch DVD's (probably "somehow" adds another 100 bucks in there).

jcp123
04-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Gawd...they just came out with the first Xbox!!

Radoman
04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
So here's my question: Will it have decent games on it this time? Doesn't matter, XBOX blows and so will this.

targa
04-11-2005, 09:31 PM
[starts petition]

MAKE GT4 for XBOX...

PsychoChimp22
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM

By looking at the amazing specs the Xbox 2, and PS3 are at (namely the PS3, godly...) id say about $500. I think its been anounced that the XboX well have 3 different types you can buy: teh low box, the high box, and the tower (pc style for once.). On top of that we have yet to see to Revs specs.

PsychoChimp22
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
[starts petition]

MAKE GT4 for XBOX...

Sigs:

-Alex

Spastik_Roach
04-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Xbox2 will get owned cause PS3 gets released before it

"HOLY CRAP PS3 TURN OFF TV GO RING ALL MY FRIENDS SELL PS2 HOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAP!"

Alastor
04-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Xbox2 will get owned cause PS3 gets released before it

"HOLY CRAP PS3 TURN OFF TV GO RING ALL MY FRIENDS SELL PS2 HOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAP!"

The Xbox 2 is due out later this year. The PS3 is not due until 2006, unless Sony decides to move up the date.

Microsoft is launching before Sony in effort to reclaim some of the ground they lost by coming late to the console market.

Hopefully this competition results in better products from both sides and if in a more timely matter then all the better.

Matra et Alpine
04-12-2005, 07:47 AM
The slightly scary approach is Bill is saying that the next Xbox is their cornerstone for the home media centre. Largest growing segment oif the PC business and ole Bill's gonna muscle in. hard to see how the Sony will compete with a box which can seemlessly integrate over a network for sound, video, tv and games.

Damn, I might end up with a branded MS product :(

carlover
04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
500 bucks!?! Holy crap!!! :eek: :mad: :(

Hopefully the revo will be cheap enough to buy.

Alastor
04-12-2005, 03:22 PM
The slightly scary approach is Bill is saying that the next Xbox is their cornerstone for the home media centre. Largest growing segment oif the PC business and ole Bill's gonna muscle in. hard to see how the Sony will compete with a box which can seemlessly integrate over a network for sound, video, tv and games.

Damn, I might end up with a branded MS product :(

The PS3 is also expected to be more than just a "game console". How advanced these next generation consoles are probably wont be very clear until May 12th when the X-Box 2 is unveiled and the following week when the PS3 is unveiled at E3.

I would not give up on Sony yet, even if they do bring the PS3 later it will be worth the wait if the new processor architecture lives up the hype.

Homem de Gelo
04-12-2005, 03:31 PM
If it's on MTV, I assume I'm too old for it.

Matra et Alpine
04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I would not give up on Sony yet, even if they do bring the PS3 later it will be worth the wait if the new processor architecture lives up the hype.
I think wwhere Sony coudl lose out is not having an insustry standard framwork, So ole Billy-boy coudl easily support user developed decoders for DivX, Xvid and any new streaming format that came along. Sony just dont' have that kind of support infrastructure like DirectX :(

carlover
04-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Concept pictures galore! (some look really cool)

http://www.ps3portal.com/?page=ps3_pictures
:)

Alastor
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I think wwhere Sony coudl lose out is not having an insustry standard framwork, So ole Billy-boy coudl easily support user developed decoders for DivX, Xvid and any new streaming format that came along. Sony just dont' have that kind of support infrastructure like DirectX :(

I see your point, it will interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

jcp123
04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I actually wish they would offer base models for the yokels like me who want to play games, but the old console may have broken down or there are new games they want to play, but we don't want to pay for features we won't use, like all the super video and audio capabilities. As long as I can play Gran Turismo, that's all I ask because that's about all I ever use my PS2 for, and I'm not going to bother with surround sound and all of that.

Rockefella
04-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I actually wish they would offer base models for the yokels like me who want to play games, but the old console may have broken down or there are new games they want to play, but we don't want to pay for features we won't use, like all the super video and audio capabilities. As long as I can play Gran Turismo, that's all I ask because that's about all I ever use my PS2 for, and I'm not going to bother with surround sound and all of that.
That's a good idea, they'd get REALLL good money like that. Luckily my noob friend couldn't fix his ps2 and i did so it's mine now. He was owned.

targa
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
PSPzzzzz

jcp123
04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
That's a good idea, they'd get REALLL good money like that. Luckily my noob friend couldn't fix his ps2 and i did so it's mine now. He was owned.

Ha, yeah...that happened with my PS1 that I couldn't fix it. Oh well. But I agree they could sell a bunch of them, for every one guy I know that mods his Xbox to do whatever, I know another one that just wants to play and would probably get a cheaper model