PDA

View Full Version : Is Taiwan a country?

d-quik
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Just curious as to what you guys thunk.

Vote :)

Esperante
04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah....:rolleyes:

CHEESE-TACULAR
04-18-2005, 06:02 PM
yeah, why?

Matra et Alpine
04-18-2005, 06:04 PM
IS it a country is disputed as it has never been acknowldeged by China as a seperate sovereign state.

SHOULD it be a country ? prefereably yes, IF agreement can be reached with China over it's status. If it can't maybe it has to becoem a UN-protectorate or a "special region" as Hong Kong was

Doesn't fit into simple yes/no :)

CHEESE-TACULAR
04-18-2005, 06:24 PM
not exactly like hong kong was right?

Pando
04-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Interesting topic. If it announces it's independece it will be invaded, but hopefully they can just grow apart from China in a peaceful way... As far as I know that's what they do want. Which makes me think why China just don't save itself from a lot of trouble and let them go. Tibet too if they want to. Is it Pride? Principle? or is China afraid all it's regions would rather be independent? I think there would be an interest at least in western China...

CHEESE-TACULAR
04-18-2005, 06:40 PM
i think that if they let tiwan go places like Tibet would want to to, just as you said. they're likley afraid the other parts would get allitle cheeky and maybe try the same move

IBrake4Rainbows
04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Technical No (It's still part of China in the world's Eyes, have a look at the recent olympics, Chinese Republic of Taiwan i believe they called it)

Unofficial Yes, although i highly doubt anyone would be brave enough to do anything if China Invaded.

d-quik
04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Which makes me think why China just don't save itself from a lot of trouble and let them go....are you incompetent. have you heard of nationa sovereignty? (sp?) every country has it. its like if the northern half of finland decided to leave and become their own state? do you think the finnish government is just going to allow iT? no, probably it will send in the army to quash attempts to seperate. so no, its not "pride" or anything stupid u just mentioned. its national sovereignty. every nation has it, plz do not create double standards.

IBrake4Rainbows
04-18-2005, 07:44 PM
...are you incompetent. have you heard of nationa sovereignty? (sp?) every country has it. its like if the northern half of finland decided to leave and become their own state? do you think the finnish government is just going to allow iT? no, probably it will send in the army to quash attempts to seperate. so no, its not "pride" or anything stupid u just mentioned. its national sovereignty. every nation has it, plz do not create double standards.

What the hell?

China has not had control over Taiwan for well over 50 Years, Countries like East Timor didn't have to wait that long to gain nation-status.

And it is pride; China needs to show all it's outcrops that they are part of a big group that they won't let go; think of Hong Kong, they've been moving to independance and China has flatly said no.

d-quik
04-18-2005, 07:51 PM
LOL, China has never had control? There are only 23 nations in the world that does not recognize China's control in Taiwan.

And no, it is not "pride". If it is, then it works for Taiwan's "pride" as well. Same Hong Kong, it is to show "all it's outcrops that they are part of a big group that they won't let go" just like any nation would do. It is kind of shallow to say that Hong Kong isn't part of China when the treaty between Britain and China after the Opium war states the hong kong owuld be returned to China after the 100 years, then only have Hong Kong not become part of the nation. It kinda makes the treaty useless don't it?

whatever, it might be a bad example, my history on the opium wars is very incomplete, but i think the gist is there.

IBrake4Rainbows
04-18-2005, 07:58 PM
LOL, China has never had control? There are only 23 nations in the world that does not recognize China's control in Taiwan.

Precisely what i said in an eariler post; but unofficially most countries recognise Taiwans rights as a seperate nation.

And no, it is not "pride". If it is, then it works for Taiwan's "pride" as well. Same Hong Kong, it is to show "all it's outcrops that they are part of a big group that they won't let go" just like any nation would do. It is kind of shallow to say that Hong Kong isn't part of China when the treaty between Britain and China after the Opium war states the hong kong owuld be returned to China after the 100 years, then only have Hong Kong not become part of the nation. It kinda makes the treaty useless don't it?

Perhaps so, but that doesn't mean that the inhabitants of Hong Kong don't want the freedoms they had under British rule in comparison to Chinese. It's the people who want the freedom, and are used to Capitalist ways (Hong Kong is a major hub of Business)

whatever, it might be a bad example, my history on the opium wars is very incomplete, but i think the gist is there.

The treaty you've spoken of is correct, although it was a 99 year lease by Britain. But now the inhabitants of Taiwan and Hong Kong want freedom from China.

Coventrysucks
04-18-2005, 08:00 PM
"Free Tibet?! I'll take it!"
*dials*
"Hello? China? I may have something you want, but it'll cost you... yes... that's right. All the tea..."

Pando
04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
...are you incompetent. have you heard of nationa sovereignty? (sp?) every country has it. its like if the northern half of finland decided to leave and become their own state? do you think the finnish government is just going to allow iT? no, probably it will send in the army to quash attempts to seperate. so no, its not "pride" or anything stupid u just mentioned. its national sovereignty. every nation has it, plz do not create double standards.
Well obviously the case wasn't that the Taiwaneese people just woke up one day and decide they don't want to belong to China anymore... But even if China invaded Taiwan it would not remove their urge for independence, actually virtually nothing China would do could. Things like this go 'way back' and will not dissapear in an instance. Think of it like Canada & Quebec... There could be a peaceful solution through elections. About your Finland example, a more accurate one would be Ahvenanmaa / Åland it's a group of islands between Finland and Sweden officcially belonging to Finland even though the majority of the residents concider themselves closer to Swedes. Åland has it's own stamps and law and is also a demilitarized zone. If Åland wants to become compleatly independent, which I concider unlikely but not impossible, it would be done by diplomatic means. I for one wouldn't resist if they wanted to go. If Åland would declare a complete independece it still wouldn't spread to other parts since the rest of Finland has no reason not to be united. My point was the reason why all big empires fall, because if people feel like they don't belong to your country they eventually might want to break free. Happened to the Roman empire and every other big empire since begining of time to the Sovjet Union. Imo it will probably happen to China too. Obvioulsy a revolt or a coup is a different thing, but when a hevy majority wants to be independent it cannot be ignored nor silanced. Why force provinces to be a part of your country and make yourself look like an idiot? Money, pride or fear? It's not about double standards.

Pando
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
"Free Tibet?! I'll take it!"
*dials*
"Hello? China? I may have something you want, but it'll cost you... yes... that's right. All the tea..."
Peter Griffin.... that's what I think about everytime I hear free Tibet nowdays... :D :D

Matra et Alpine
04-19-2005, 01:24 AM
But now the inhabitants of Taiwan and Hong Kong want freedom from China.
A little too broad a brush.

Many in Hong Kong hardly notice the difference !!!

A lot of businesses in Hong Kong are perfectly ahppy as part of China.

MANY people are OK with it, remember that under the Rbtish "proptectioN" they were controleld by a government 5000 miles away who had no idea of the true culture and needs of the area !!

Been in H-K before and after, it didn't change a lot.
Yep, a little more "concern" about speaking out, but before that they were ignored anyway !!!!

d-quik
04-19-2005, 01:52 PM
For the people who voted no:

If Taiwan is indeed not a country, why do they have their own currency and a military, something most COUNTRIES have...

my porsche
04-19-2005, 02:19 PM
are you asian d-quik? if not you seem to be very interestied in their culture

IBrake4Rainbows
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I was born in Hong Kong myself, My Father was on loan to the British Government or something, so i guess i have a vested interest in these matters.

And as for the currency and the like, the Example Pando gave of the Finnish Island with it's own law, currency and postage stamps, while still being part of Finland, is a good example.

Hong Kong has a different dollar to the rest of China, am I correct in Saying?

Niko_Fx
04-19-2005, 07:07 PM
are you asian d-quik? if not you seem to be very interestied in their culture

Chinese with a Canadian citizenship and currently living in the US. (I think)

d-quik
04-19-2005, 07:29 PM
right on playa

Pando
04-20-2005, 06:23 PM
And as for the currency and the like, the Example Pando gave of the Finnish Island with it's own law, currency and postage stamps, while still being part of Finland, is a good example. Well they do have the same currency.
:rolleyes:

IBrake4Rainbows
04-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry. :p

my porsche
04-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Chinese with a Canadian citizenship and currently living in the US. (I think)
ah hes an international man of mystery ;)

forza_autodelta
04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
ah hes an international man of mystery ;)
it's begining rare with Internet :p ...
For Taiwan , I consider it as an independant country , officially maybe still dependant ahead of the chinese government , but it's getting his independance , no? We didn't hear anything about political tensions in France... :confused: