PDA

View Full Version : turbo for my contour gl?

TheGreatOne
04-23-2005, 10:40 AM
i just got a 98 ford contour gl with the 2.0 ztech engine, and have been shopping around for some parts for it. I don't want to do much to it, but i would like to get it ready for a turbo, the only problem is that I can't find any turbos for the 4 cyl., i only find them for the svt model. Does anyone know if they are compatible with the 4 cylinder model, or if there are any turbos available for it, if so any links? I know that this is a noobish question, but hey, it's my first post right?

Juggs
04-23-2005, 12:27 PM
isnt that the motor with the 2 peice block? id never run boost in that motor EVER. horrible design on fords part. those motors ALWAYS EVENTUALLY blow the gasket that goes between the 2 halves of the block. then in order to fix it you have to pull the motor and the entire bill at the garage is more than the cars worth so your better off just scrapping the car. all because of a 3 dollar gasket. no fun. its gonna blow sooner or later (prob sooner than later) so i would reccomend just driving it while you can and dont worry about putting extra stress on that thing with some boost.

Sweeney921
04-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Juggs is exactly right.

johnnynumfiv
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Whats the point? If you want to get a car to beef it up, you should get something that has a wide aftermarket part market for it. Even if you got a custom made turbo for it, there are many parts that you would have to replace as the engine isn't built to have a turbo or have performance parts.

Egg Nog
04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
The best, most cost-effective option in probably to sell it and find an SVT contour. They're great cars - not only will you get the extra power, but it's far more tunable, and you get possibly the best-handling FWD American car of all time.

TheGreatOne
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Thx for the info guys, after some research juggs turned out to be right on the mark. Thanks for the heads up on that, I'm not planning on keeping it very long though, not past 130,000. Don't know what I want to get next though.

Juggs
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
glad to have helped! sorry if it kind of disapointed you...maybe next time you can come back and we will have some good info to give you. i hope you stick around here and keep postin!