PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 - Pictures

Alastor
04-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Supposed pictures of the Xbox 360, are floating around the net. These pictures come from http://gaming.engadget.com/. Several sites are indicating that these are authentic, but they obviously are not official.

From http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22753

THE FIRST full frontal picture of the Xbox 360 was leaked onto the web this morning.

Quite who got the exclusive we're not sure, with multiple sites appearing to present it as their own. However, we suspect that the scoop was by the Future/Microsoft collaboration, GamesRadar, which collaborated the authenticity of the picture with their own sources.

The design is a striking silver/white, with an oversized power button/LED indicator, which will apparently serve as some kind of feedback for users. The left of the console appears to hold a removable hard drive, and was the portion revealed earlier this week on Our Colony. As the INQ previously revealed, there are no ports for controllers, with those connecting via wireless.

While the design is rendered white, there are suggestions that the entire casing will be user-removable for colour customisation.

Things just got really, really interesting. µ

Spastik_Roach
04-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Looks interesting. I'm not really a fan of wireless controllers. They should have atleast an option for normal corded controllers IMO. but cool none the less.

Colty
04-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Only the left thumbnail isnt official, the two others came from ourcolony.net. A Viral Marketing campaign by microsoft to get people to solve challenges and riddles, puzzles etc in return for snippets of info on Xbox 360.

I like the design personally, but I dont like that humongogornous button, though I heard it would do more than indicate ON/OFF, i think a LCD screen there would be better.

It seems to have a removal Hard Drive, which is definately Handy.

BTW what do u guys think of the name, I dont like it, I think Xbox Next sounds better. Also, would u prefer white or the metallic silver?

danno
04-25-2005, 03:37 AM
Looks interesting. I'm not really a fan of wireless controllers. They should have atleast an option for normal corded controllers IMO. but cool none the less.

why not?

it sounds a bit silly to me. you have the option of a controller with a cord, or a controller without the cord. both do exactly the same job, look the same, perform the same, etc. except with one you dont have a whole pile of cords hanging around.

Blitz_
04-25-2005, 06:23 AM
at one stage i heard it was going to be called the Xenon ( pro. Zenon) it looks OK, but not really next gen, i was hoping for some really funky stuff like gloss paint and glass.

shr0olvl
04-25-2005, 06:45 AM
why not?

it sounds a bit silly to me. you have the option of a controller with a cord, or a controller without the cord. both do exactly the same job, look the same, perform the same, etc. except with one you dont have a whole pile of cords hanging around.

I don't like wireless controllers because they don't respond as kick as the ones with a cord and they can be laggy sometime. Thats why I try to stay away from anything wireless.

Alastor
04-25-2005, 07:16 AM
BTW what do u guys think of the name, I dont like it, I think Xbox Next sounds better. Also, would u prefer white or the metallic silver?

Yea the name sucks, to much marketing. So you can do 360 in some alternative sports so that must be a cool word, but it doesn’t even represent the product. Unless they are trying to indicate that the Xbox is taking a total different direction. Either way I don’t care for it.

I don't like wireless controllers because they don't respond as kick as the ones with a cord and they can be laggy sometime. Thats why I try to stay away from anything wireless.

I have a wireless mouse and there is nothing wrong with the response time. However, it uses a ridiculous amount of batteries which can be a large unforeseen cost.

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Looks promising. I think the X-Box team must have thought this wireless controller thing through and made really good receivers/infrared transmitters so you don't have a problem with lag and blocked signal. A lot of the problems you guys talk about are probably from cheap wireless controllers that are after-market from other companies not endorsed by Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony/Sega.

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Yea the name sucks, to much marketing. So you can do 360 in some alternative sports so that must be a cool word, but it doesn’t even represent the product. Unless they are trying to indicate that the Xbox is taking a total different direction. Either way I don’t care for it.
If they were going for a turn-around then I would use 180. 360 means a full-rotation ending at the same point you started.

Alastor
04-25-2005, 08:31 AM
If they were going for a turn-around then I would use 180. 360 means a full-rotation ending at the same point you started.

LOL, good point. I guess that is why I am not in marketing ;-)

lukeh
04-25-2005, 08:33 AM
this probably means that the ps3 will also be coming out soon do you have pics of this

Cotterik
04-25-2005, 09:06 AM
no there are not currently any official press releases of the ps3 ( if its called that )

high res pic of xbox 360 attached
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/8312965764231629.JPG?0.013985915998142473

EDIT: we already know the 3rd playstation will be released after the xbox 360, giving it an immediate advantage as it will have better spec, more time for game developers etc. My money is on the ps3

Blitz_
04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
^^ and that is where you are wrong, just because a console is released after a competitors does not mean it will be better, hence the reason they say that release strategy is important and that is why ps2 owns in terms of long term sales. THe majority of the gaming community is already touting the next gen. consoles to be very different from each other.

The xbox is being touted as the most powerful of the two, as it now runs off new processor and graphic cards, it will also have ( presumably ) the option of a locked HD or removable hard drive. The reason why the PS3 wont have a huge advantage if released after the next gen. xbox is becuase it costs immense amonts of money to re work development after it goes past a certain stage in development and construction. PS3 will be powerfull allrite, but i doubt that it will match the presumed 512mb that the next xbox will have.

My money is on the next gen. xbox, im pretty sure that with online games being a crucial part of games, xbox will wipe the floor with sony. Furthermore, the contracts of several more 3rd and first party developers means that thier also in the box seat to have some pretty tasty titles coming out early. Then again there is fan loyalty and that will effect sales, so will the stigma that bill gates wants to destroy sony

In conclusion, Xbox 360 will clean the floor with better specs, sales, its in the air really, but ps3 is the fav.

Rockefella
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM
^^ and that is where you are wrong, just because a console is released after a competitors does not mean it will be better, hence the reason they say that release strategy is important and that is why ps2 owns in terms of long term sales. THe majority of the gaming community is already touting the next gen. consoles to be very different from each other.

The xbox is being touted as the most powerful of the two, as it now runs off new processor and graphic cards, it will also have ( presumably ) the option of a locked HD or removable hard drive. The reason why the PS3 wont have a huge advantage if released after the next gen. xbox is becuase it costs immense amonts of money to re work development after it goes past a certain stage in development and construction. PS3 will be powerfull allrite, but i doubt that it will match the presumed 512mb that the next xbox will have.

My money is on the next gen. xbox, im pretty sure that with online games being a crucial part of games, xbox will wipe the floor with sony. Furthermore, the contracts of several more 3rd and first party developers means that thier also in the box seat to have some pretty tasty titles coming out early. Then again there is fan loyalty and that will effect sales, so will the stigma that bill gates wants to destroy sony

In conclusion, Xbox 360 will clean the floor with better specs, sales, its in the air really, but ps3 is the fav.

Similarly to what blitz said, Microsoft is making this new s-e-X-BOX into a 'media-center' and not just a gaming console, having the license to use Microsoft's apps like DirectX and different Windows Utilities. Sony doesn't really have any of this.

lukeh
04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
But if the Xbox is released first of course they will sell a huge amount of consoles so the sales would be more with Xbox than sony. It is deffenently better to sell first i think.

derekthetree
04-25-2005, 10:53 AM
i agree microsoft has the money and expertise to make or buy good games and they have links to many more hardware manufacturers to get the best equipment for their machine.

however all of this is irrelevant as the PC will kick their booty anyway due to its sheer power and versatility

Matra et Alpine
04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
however all of this is irrelevant as the PC will kick their booty anyway due to its sheer power and versatility
But sadly Microsoft marketing seem to be doign all they can to prevent the best games coming out on the PC till later if at all :(

derekthetree
04-25-2005, 11:14 AM
:cough: halo 2 :)

Matra et Alpine
04-25-2005, 11:27 AM
:cough: halo 2 :)
Prject Gotham Racing

adn not to mentino that even when they ARE out on both TOCA Driver 2 then the online is either the Xbox or the PC, not both :(

Blitz_
04-25-2005, 06:23 PM
derekthetree its impossible to compare consoles and PC when considering direct competition, the PC is always versatile and ready to upgrade, whereas consoles are seen as, "once released you've got what you've got". However, times are changing, and you now see in the newspapers all the time upgrades for xbox consoles where size of the hard drive and RAM can be upgraded substantially, this will definetely flow onto the the next gen. xbox.

One disadvantage for the PC is the fact that they produce the largest amount of crap games each and every year. Furthermore with consoles getting smaller, and the list of what they can do getting even longer, i feel that consumers will tend to move away from PC's for gaming. WIth consoles, you can sit down and relax on a sofa with some mates rite next to u, with PC it's not like you have 2 computers next to each other all the time, well not for all of us anyway. WIth LAN connectivity for xbox ( system link ) it shows that popularity for PC gaming WILL decrease becuase of the increased comfort of console gaming.

Who knows? A group of crafty developers may find a way to upgrade the graphical output of a console, then again, games have always looked brilliant, you just need a High Definition Plasma Screen.

werty
04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd rather wait for PS3, or whatever their calling it

Reason being the PS2 is better than Xbox which came out years later, and now Sony gets to have the extra time to perfect their next system.

Buts thats just my personal opinion

Blitz_
04-25-2005, 07:19 PM
lol yer, wateva tickles ur fancy, until xbox came out with the smaller controller, i likes ps2's better, not for FPS, ps2 has waaayy better RPG games as well. In terms of technicaly aspects, xbox wipes the floor with the PS2, but with next gen. who knows.

Alastor
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
derekthetree its impossible to compare consoles and PC when considering direct competition, the PC is always versatile and ready to upgrade, whereas consoles are seen as, "once released you've got what you've got". However, times are changing, and you now see in the newspapers all the time upgrades for xbox consoles where size of the hard drive and RAM can be upgraded substantially, this will definetely flow onto the the next gen. xbox…

Who knows? A group of crafty developers may find a way to upgrade the graphical output of a console, then again, games have always looked brilliant, you just need a High Definition Plasma Screen.

The separating factor between PC and console has always been hardware. PCs have traditionally had more powerful hardware available due to the more frequent hardware update cycle. This is probably due to the fact that the PC is a multi-functional tool that can be used to game, whereas a console is strictly a gaming platform (now multimedia, but nevertheless more limited in function).

However, this comes at a price for gaming on a PC. For one, the newest hardware is very expensive. A high end video card costs 2 or 3 times more than the current consoles and that alone will not run any games. For those not running the latest hardware compatibility becomes an issue. Does the PC specification meet those of the game, are the drivers compatible, or are there hardware configuration issues.

Although consoles may lag behind in terms of hardware performance they are easy to use and set-up. There are no “hardware requirements” to check before buying a game. There is no installation or configuration to mess with. IMO, this is what makes a console so appealing.

It makes sense to me that the next generation console should be mini-computers but I don’t want to deal with hardware issues. Upgrading a hard-drive so I can have more saved games is one thing, messing around with a new video card and video card drivers is another. All the games should run sufficiently on the OEM hardware, there should be no need to upgrade until the new model is released.

Blitz_
04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
^^ well said and is another solid reason why consoles ARE becoming increasingly popular, i read up about some guy installing linux on his xbox once, worked out fine from what i read, but i dont really see the use. If the prices of new video card keep rising, for example, numerous cards cost more than AUS$400, then i sure as hell will be turning to consoles for the majority of my gaming needs.

Spastik_Roach
04-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Well ofcourse one reason is wireless controllers use batteries, and nothing would piss me off more than to be like so close to winning a game then have the batteries shit out in the controller.

Off topic: Am I the only person who thinks Apple should make a gaming console? "The iGame"

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 02:34 AM
^^ lol dear god no, we would have a controller with that stupid wheel, and too god damn white!

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2005, 02:43 AM
One disadvantage for the PC is the fact that they produce the largest amount of crap games each and every year.
There are crap games for concolse too :)

Furthermore with consoles getting smaller, and the list of what they can do getting even longer, i feel that consumers will tend to move away from PC's for gaming. WIth consoles, you can sit down and relax on a sofa with some mates rite next to u, with PC it's not like
The PC has already moved away from the "computer desk" and to the living space.
Check out Media Centre, check out the now MANY PC boxes designed to fit into the stereo "look". 5.1 and 7.1 sound systems for the PCs, TV input + TV output - ALREADY at resolutions higher than the best HDTV specs out there.
Ultra-quiet fans and new 'no fan' soltuobs so they are near-silent.

New "fast start BIOS" which turn up the video and sound capbilities in seconds - though still with Windoze taking up to 10-20 to come "live".

However, where the PC is really goign (IMHO) is dumb-ish remote devices with centralised servers adn media distributors. So you put a $15 unit in every room and your PC is controleld by wirless keybord/mous/pointer and a "utility" PC beside the gas boiler and electricity switchbox has all the smarts - enough to have 5-10 people SIMULTANEOUSLY accessing mutlippe vide and audio streams AND play games :)

All these are described ALREDY in MS "plans" and have a timeline for delivery to the market place !!!!!

Spastik_Roach
04-26-2005, 02:58 AM
There are crap games for concolse too :)

The PC has already moved away from the "computer desk" and to the living space.
Check out Media Centre, check out the now MANY PC boxes designed to fit into the stereo "look". 5.1 and 7.1 sound systems for the PCs, TV input + TV output - ALREADY at resolutions higher than the best HDTV specs out there.
Ultra-quiet fans and new 'no fan' soltuobs so they are near-silent.

New "fast start BIOS" which turn up the video and sound capbilities in seconds - though still with Windoze taking up to 10-20 to come "live".

However, where the PC is really goign (IMHO) is dumb-ish remote devices with centralised servers adn media distributors. So you put a $15 unit in every room and your PC is controleld by wirless keybord/mous/pointer and a "utility" PC beside the gas boiler and electricity switchbox has all the smarts - enough to have 5-10 people SIMULTANEOUSLY accessing mutlippe vide and audio streams AND play games :)

All these are described ALREDY in MS "plans" and have a timeline for delivery to the market place !!!!!

I don't like the idea of micro$oft controlling my house. If the main PC crashes what will happen?

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2005, 03:00 AM
I don't like the idea of micro$oft controlling my house. If the main PC crashes what will happen?
The same as when your power goes out :)

Give it a few years and MS dominance will spread to utilities and then he'll have that too :)

BUT, serioulsy though, the "MS crashes" isn't as valid as it once was and for a properly managed systems is almost non-existant !!!

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 03:50 AM
consoles will still grow fast, and imho, they will be the number one gaming choice by a country mile, the reasons have already been stated so i wont go through them again.

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2005, 04:08 AM
consoles will still grow fast, and imho, they will be the number one gaming choice by a country mile, the reasons have already been stated so i wont go through them again.
But the only ones that I think count are price - nobody's really producing a MS-box for less than $100 and MARKETING - ie keeping the BEST games OnLy on the concolse to ensure sales of the hardware. It's the software that is now tha attraction for the buyer, not the boxes :)

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 06:23 AM
lol i beg to differ, in a recent research, eye candy doesnt have as much impact as once thought, meaning that gameplay is a more crucial factor in choosing games, and consoles are known for first party solid games, and besides, the essential software comes with consoles, DVD players, backwards compatibility, HD access, internal ard drives, media centres, its all there for the current consoles, and the next gen. consoles will make sure that the PC gaming industry wont control the market. Price, the xbox is around AUS$220, thats a great price imo, that the friggin price for an allrite graphics card or great sound card!!!! and the xbox supports 5.1, plays DVD's, u can burn and play cd's, imagine what the nxt xbox and ps2 will be!

PC better watch out, hardware and software is waay to expensive, look @ the price of photoshop and MS Windows, jeez. Buying a console is much the better choice in most instances. Even then, if a game, a BRILLIANT GAME was available on a PC or console, i would still buy it for the console, why? resale value, you can always burn it, save it on the hard drive, and besides, i dont have to worry about the countles driver upgrades for the computer, the updates from developers, and so on. Anyway, we can now download maps and mods from console internet now.

Bye bye PC.

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2005, 06:50 AM
lol i beg to differ, in a recent research, eye candy doesnt have as much impact as once thought, meaning that game play is a more crucial factor in choosing games, and consoles are known for first party solid games, and besides, the essential software comes with consoles, DVD players, back wards compatibility, HD access, internal Arda drives, media centres, its all there for the current consoles, and the next gen. consoles will make sure that the PC gaming industry wont control the market. Price, the xbox is around AUS$220, thats a great price imo, that the friggin price for an allrite graphics card or great sound card!!!! and the xbox supports 5.1, plays DVD's, u can burn and play cd's, imagine what the nxt xbox and ps2 will be!
Blitz, I think I failed to explain it clearly.
SOFTWARE is what is the difference was what I said and THAT is about gameplay not eye-candy. Eye-candy is all about shading and lighting and hardware graphics capability.

Which PC games have you compared with console games to arrive at the conclusion of "essential software comes with consoles" ?

The point about the capability of the hardware is that PCs are ALREADY doing 7.1 :) The drawback of consoles is the need to commit to silicon nd board layout WELL in advance to be able to reduce costs through volume and THEN not changing it. Hence as soon as the design is locked-down it is obsolete :)

have you tried playing a DivX movie in an XBox ?? or XVid ??? or quicktime movies or streaming movies ??? :) All need modded hardware to support XMP :)

On the pricing, you can buy the equivalent graphics card in the current XBox for $25 !! YES, when the new xbox comes out it will be fast and be on a par with the $150 graphics cads - as the original was - but the graphics cards drop in price the performance goes up and it ends up back a year pr two later with the equivalence of a $25 graphic card performance.

PC better watch out, hardware and software is waay to expensive, look @ the price of photoshop and MS Windows, jeez.
PK, what's the price of photoshop on the XBox ? or any console ?
That's like complaining about the price of truck tyres when you drive a Mini :)
Bill prices to what the market can stand. So WindowsCE is cheaper, Windows Mobile version cheaper still. If you're a mass producer you could get Windows OS for $5 a copy - as long as you committed to millions :)
It's an irrelevance to separate things out, pricing is to match a price point. So for the last 5 years the fastest PC has cost $1000. Consoles come in at $249 then to $199 then $149 and finally hitting $99 when they're "old". Pricing to the market, NOT the manufacturing or design :)
With new "slimmed-down" media-centres then for a family I think you'll see the PC come to the ascendancy again and the XBox will be a part of that portfolio. So one BIG machine in a cupboard somewhere with half a dozen cheap devices spread around the house and with family members All coming together to provide way in advance of what we can experience today. So the central 'bit' might cost a grand and the remotes $100, for a large family home a clear winner over multiple consoles and hi-fi and video recorder etc.

Buying a console is much the better choice in most instances. Even then, if a game, a BRILLIANT GAME was available on a PC or console, i would still buy it for the console, why? resale value, you can always burn it, save it on the hard drive, and besides, i dont have to worry about the countles driver upgrades for the computer, the updates from developers, and so on.
If you dont' want to you don't' have to do that either.
IF you want a PC to do the same job it did when you first bought it you don't HAVE to upgrade.
It always makes me smile at this "complaint". Like you have the option with a console :)

Anyway, we can now download maps and mods from console internet now.

Bye bye PC.
So is counter-strike the same on half-life for Windows and XBox ?
What about Call Of Duty ? Having just played some at my nephews the number of maps in the PC world is amazing. About time the consoles caught on to proper network play. Do they share map with XBox and PC - the BIGGEST mistake I think MS is making !!!

Are there any large scale LAN competition for console games as there are with PC gamers ??

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Nice argument there, but i still prefer to have a console, at least the next generation consoles anway. Once released, they will either be like the gamecube, where thier sole purpose will be for gaming, i hope this is not the case for the xbox 360. I think it will be a class act, even with new media formats such as mp4, blu-ray and so on, the final design and production console will be something that will appeal to everyone and give PC a big scare. It will most probably play all types of new media and will be released with the ability to play upcoming formats not known the the public yet. Furthermore they will be very close to being a system that can be considered a consumers no.1 choice for audio needs etc. Cost will always play a part, even when prices fall it takes time for that to happen.

Unfortunately, conversions from PC to xbox AND vice versa dont do so well as every one might like to predict, but im hoping that the online community for consoles will grow, its alot more comfortable imo coz i get to sit down on a comfy sofa with some mates, and even link up 4 xbox's or just play online in comfort instead of using the damn keyboard and mouse all the damn time, i also bypass all the windows start up and other issues such as firewalls etc.

Lol 16 players me thinks is the largest you can do for consoles, but ive always seen LAN gatherings where hundreds of nerds come to commune as HIGHLY nerdy, mite not be, just my opinion. THen again at those lans u dont get to sit down on sofa's and play or pull otha peoples cords out to piss em off :D

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2005, 07:40 AM
I've helped run LAN parties for the kids for the last 6-8 year. One of them now has a PortaKabin in their rear garden JUST for runnign them. 16 at a time, all comformtable :)

Re conversion, coments abotu "Fable" ported from XBox to PC -- Finally, the new coat of paint being applied to the surface of Fable is fantastic. PC gamers are quite familiar with the graphical possibilities that a powerful hardware set-up delivers. While the Xbox version could be quite blurry, the PC version is crisp and clear. After seeing the game running, it's hard to imagine ever wanting to play on that silly console ever again. - from an on-line reviewer.

The problem with concolse is ecemplified by the PSP. A 'new' media incompatibel with EVERYTHING in the world and no writers. Consoles benefits are their closed unchanging envir0onment, unfortunately that it also their flaw :(

Uncle Bill plans the XBox to become the family media centre for those who dont' want a PC. What is interesting though is how the industry has already moved to achieve that now and will do even more so in the year it takes next gen XBox to be on the dtreets in volume :) BUT Microsoft licensing will ensure the success of XBox through it's economic might. So just as the world ended up with PCs instead of Mac so we risk ending up with console instead of 'media centre' :(

spi-ti-tout
04-26-2005, 08:00 AM
BUT Microsoft licensing will ensure the success of XBox through it's economic might. So just as the world ended up with PCs instead of Mac so we risk ending up with console instead of 'media centre' :(
If people dont want to buy it, they still will, but ONLY ATM. Xbox still has a lot of competition from PS2. I guess now though everybodys going to forget the PS2 and go for the Xcoc. But, now that PS3 has been announced for next year, once it comes out everybody will forget Xcox and get the PS3. So I think its onlt a short period of time the Xcox id going to live. Unless, of course, Uncle Kill brings out another version by the time PS3 is out.

(UNGODLY amount og ransomness here: Yay! Finally managed to type something successfully entirely without looking at the keyboard! :))

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
^^ aha, referring to the Xbox as Xcox is pretty lame, laughable, and uncle kill? hmmm i could walk next door and ask the 4 yr old shithead if he had a better name.( i dont believe that u accidentaly typed in Xcox seeing as teh c is 2 letters over from B, but if im wrong then i apologise :D ) If the PS3 does get released before the next xbox its no biggy, consumers will be wanting to see which is the better, or better yet they will buy both. Xbox 360 is touted as having superior hardware to the PS3, and so it should, its assumed it has greater funding and new suppliers from AMD.

^^ oh and matra, the exact moment they said "silly console" i knew it was a PC fanboy, undeniable evidence that is unavoidable. Fable IS a great game, and is hard to screw up, seeing as controls would be well suited to its gameplay, and "quite blurry" jeez man, he musta been poor, ive got a 56cm flat screeen in my room and it plays crystal clear, i watched some1 play it on a high definition plasma, and OMG that was perfect. And it proves that his fanboy quality comes out into the open as he cares for eye candy rather than gameplay. I bet you he would be stupid enough to say FFX is better than FFVII based on graphics.

LANS are ok, but still nerdish, something about all the wires, sitting up straight in the chairs, and well u know. Im just so used to lounging around on a sofa and muckin around with halo2 kickin some european ass.

Alastor
04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
On the topic of games...

WITH THE XBOX 360 launch just around the corner, the web is starting to heat up with new information, as those in the know burst to tell all.

The console is reported to have up to 20 titles available at launch, with another 20 following later in the month. Names floated around include Burnout 4, Project Gotham Racing 2, as well as Need For Speed Underground 3, as we reported some months ago.

We also reported way back in time that the Xbox will come in versions with and without a hard drive. It now appears that the hard drive is a) 40GB and b) pre-loaded with Halo '2.5', which will be an updated version of Halo 2 with hi-res textures, in widescreen, designed for HDTV.

Microsoft's decision to launch two versions with and without the hard drive could still come back and sting it.

Analysts are wondering what use the drive will have when it comes to games, if developers can't guarantee its presence in the system. More likely, it will end up as a media storage device and not much else. µ

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 08:59 AM
lol i use my storage for ripped music and saved games, then again i have a chipped xbox and i have all my games on there

spi-ti-tout
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
^^ aha, referring to the Xbox as Xcox is pretty lame, laughable, and uncle kill? hmmm i could walk next door and ask the 4 yr old shithead if he had a better name.( i dont believe that u accidentaly typed in Xcox seeing as teh c is 2 letters over from B, but if im wrong then i apologise :D )
You Prat! :D
Why do you think I mentioned that I hadn't looked at the keyboard if I had written everything wong? :p

If the PS3 does get released before the next xbox its no biggy, consumers will be wanting to see which is the better, or better yet they will buy both. Xbox 360 is touted as having superior hardware to the PS3, and so it should, its assumed it has greater funding and new suppliers from AMD.I meant if PS3 is unvieled after Xbox 360

Blitz_
04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
lol Prat aye, hahahaha its war now biatch :D

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2005, 09:26 AM
lol i use my storage for ripped music and saved games, then again i have a chipped xbox and i have all my games on there
erm that stops you playing online tho' :(

Blitz_
04-27-2005, 01:57 AM
no it doesnt, i have a chip that lets me play online, i think ur thinking of the early chips that only played ur burnt games

shr0olvl
04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
However, this comes at a price for gaming on a PC. For one, the newest hardware is very expensive. A high end video card costs 2 or 3 times more than the current consoles and that alone will not run any games. For those not running the latest hardware compatibility becomes an issue. Does the PC specification meet those of the game, are the drivers compatible, or are there hardware configuration issues.

2-3 times more ? Thats 600 to 900 $$. I don't think many people buy top of the line vid cards esp. that high just to play a game. I don't no where you buy your vid cards but that seems pretty high. The TOP of the line vid card cost like $600 but you don't really need that. You can get a badass vid card for $200 that works great on almost all games that i know of... http://www.pricewatch.com I have a POS GeForce MX 400 that plays most games pretty good and I know a Radeon 9600 XT 128mb can run the games im playing really good and it only costs $100 and thats basically all you need.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2005, 04:35 AM
no it doesnt, i have a chip that lets me play online, i think ur thinking of the early chips that only played ur burnt games
ooooh, you got a source for them ??

Alastor
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
2-3 times more ? Thats 600 to 900 $$. I don't think many people buy top of the line vid cards esp. that high just to play a game. I don't no where you buy your vid cards but that seems pretty high. The TOP of the line vid card cost like $600 but you don't really need that. You can get a badass vid card for $200 that works great on almost all games that i know of... http://www.pricewatch.com I have a POS GeForce MX 400 that plays most games pretty good and I know a Radeon 9600 XT 128mb can run the games im playing really good and it only costs $100 and thats basically all you need.

My point is that cutting edge hardware in the PC world is expensive, and gaming is no exception. Not everyone buys cutting edge but even middle ground is expensive. Not to mention a SLI motherboard will allow you to run two PCI-E video cards (doubling the price).

I don’t buy top-end and I know you can get relatively inexpensive video cards that run well. However, at what price to buy PC hardware is very subjective so I did not see any reason to get into all that.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
My point is that cutting edge hardware in the PC world is expensive, and gaming is no exception.
I tihnk the point is Alastor, that the "PC cutting edge" is SO far in advance of consoles by the time they come out that you shoudl really be comparing mid/low-end items. Look at processor speed, memory, bus speed, graphic render rates, GigaLan. 2 years ago it was expensive to produce what you can get for $300 NOW.

When comparing any PRICE it is important to be using comprabel PERFORMANCE or it's pointless :)

Colty
04-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Theres no way of knowing at the moment which of the two consoles (360 & PS3) will be the more powerful. Sony havent even anounced the GPU for the PS3. I think the 360 will be easier to program for because of the new XNA development kits that allow developers to make games a hell of alot quicker.

Blitz_
04-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Matra, if u were in Australia i'd be giving u the info faster than martha stewart to home craft, the Alladin chip that is in mine is Australian made, but find out about a Matrix chip that does the same, i think its better as well, hope this helps u out. :D

Matra et Alpine
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
jeez man, he musta been poor, ive got a 56cm flat screeen in my room and it plays crystal clear, i watched some1 play it on a high definition plasma, and OMG that was perfect.
A common mistake to make is to comapre the Xbox/PS2 output on a TV display system.
UNLESS it is a HDTV model with 1080i or 720i then the TV display is configured for approx 500 lines. Yeap that's down at old VGA resolutions.
Regardless of the actual panel pixel resolution then image mapping is at old NTSC/PAL resolutions - ie VGA :)

So it looks sharp because the fundamental display isnt' capable of showing any better. Check it out on a decent HDTV panel and you'
ll be amazed at how much infromatio is lost in the lower resolutions.

And it proves that his fanboy quality comes out into the open as he cares for eye candy rather than gameplay. I bet you he would be stupid enough to say FFX is better than FFVII based on graphics.[/QONTE]
In FPS then it's not jsut "eye candy" it'sa about being able to see the opponent earlier !!

[QUOTE]LANS are ok, but still nerdish, something about all the wires, sitting up straight in the chairs, and well u know. Im just so used to lounging around on a sofa and muckin around with halo2 kickin some european ass.
So does wireless LANs not work in your area ? Nueclear EMP pulses from underground testing maybe ??
No need for cables. Though most folsk runnign seriosu LAN Parties will still go cabled. And HOW do you do a FPS or race game for 16 mates on a console ? Remind me coz you can't all manage to get down the one connection and NOT get hurt by the latency :)

2ndclasscitizen
05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm going to go with a new XBox 360. the big talk is of several versions, with and without HDDs. Wireless Controllers would be fine, as long as they do what Logitec do, and have a recharger on the console. On logitec wireless mice you sit it in the reciver and it recharges the battery. The XBox will most likely be more powerful, they've got themselves a deal with ATi, the XBox will most likely run more RAM, decreasing load times and loads in general, though I think the PS3 might be getting a special CPU. Also, Gamespy.com says Forza is better than GT4, suck on that! I'm gonna get it next holidays

Matra et Alpine
05-12-2005, 04:44 PM
In all the links on press releases for the launch I foudn this .....

chief Xbox officer Robert Bach, ....suggested the future of console gaming may be already be on your desk.

"Our view is the innovation driver is the PC, and will be the PC going forward," Bach said. While he wasn't suggesting the two gaming worlds will merge, Bach indicated that PCs are the proving ground for tomorrow's console technology, at least in Microsoft's view.

As with the original Xbox, most of the components Microsoft is working with have come from PCs, before they are incorporated into gaming consoles and optimized for gaming. But even though Microsoft first made a splash in the video game market by releasing the most powerful console available at the time, Bach made it clear that Microsoft's vision is that the technology is simply a means to an end. Since the Xbox console itself is actually a money loser for Microsoft, the company is keeping its eyes on where the profits lie: software.

WOW did it NEVER make profit ? OUCH, they have GOT to do somethign abotu that with the 360 surely :(

Spastik_Roach
05-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Has it been unveiled on MTV in America yet?

Bleeding Heart
10-02-2008, 02:52 AM
I wish i have an X-box... Great console to play games...

clutch-monkey
10-02-2008, 03:21 AM
I wish i have an X-box... Great console to play games...

aside from the fact you ressurrected another dead topic, :

Pagani Zonda F

7.3 L twinturbo V-12

power... 1,200 bhp
0-60 mph... 2.3 sec
0-100 mph... 5.1 sec
top speed... 275 mph (dynomometer test)
Torque... 1,572 Nm
1/4 mile... 7.1 sec...

Yes... It's fast... Somehow though, i can't use all this speed with modern day traffic... so, it's absolutely useless..

Toyota Camry/ Toyota Aurion 3.5 L V-6... 16.5 km/liter
Thus... it still delivers 277 bhp

compared to:
Nissan 350Z 3.5 L v-6... 9 km/liter
280 bhp

Mitsubishi Eclipse 3.8 L V-6... 9km/liter
263 bhp

The camry/aurion 3.5L... i think has the most efficient six cylinder engine when it comes to power output and fuel economy...

and you can't afford an xbox?