PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 914...?

xreslr
04-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Greetings all,

I'm new here and am thinking about buying a Porsche 914. Does anyone here have much knowledge about the car?

I'm handy, but don't care to spend a lot of time under the "hood," especially with a mid-engined car. Are there any probems endemic to the 914? Pluses? Miniuses? Years to avoid or pursue? This would be my first Porsche, after a few classic Lincolns and an MGs.

I'm considering the 914 based purely on feel and looks, connected to memories of a friend's car back in the 70s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

:Exige:
04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Egg Nog used to own one and I think he still owns it. He'll be your best bet .. he'll post in this thread soon enough because 914 is in the title :p

Spastik_Roach
04-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Nah he doesn't own it anymore but he knows a fair bit.

:Exige:
04-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh yea .. hes got a 944 now. His 914 still looked a bit of a beast compared to the 944 :)

Flatsixaddict
04-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I've never owned one, but done lots of research on finding the right one. I know that they have rust problems underneath the battery support and they rust out the suspension mounts, and I know that the 1.7, 1.8 could use more power, but are reliable automobiles. They have issues with the shift linkages they don't much care to shift nicely, everyone I know complains about it. The 2.0 cars and the original 914-6's are the best ones to have. The plastic bumpers are really ugly on the later cars, so I prefer the earlier ones with the chromed bumpers. But it's all up to you, just buy the nicest one you can find for the money. I also know that a lot of the trim is really expensive to replace for around the rollbar. Just find a nice one and you'll be in good shape.

Egg Nog
04-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I did own one - I sold it a while back. I had a 1974 914-4 2.0.

914s are somewhat hit-and-miss from a buyer's perspective. You really have to consider what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

The 1973 2.0 model is the best one to get (outside of a 914-6), because it had the most power (pre-cats), and had every option as standard. The d-jetronic fuel injection works quite well - solid, reliable car if you find a good one.

Check the frame (under the doors on both sides) for rust, as well as the battery tray. The car is difficult to work on, although it's still possible.

Don't weld through any fuel lines ;) :D

Although most people find the 914 pretty ugly, nobody can justify saying anything negative about the handling. They've dominated autocrossing all over the world - very good by any perspective.

Don't be afraid to spend a little extra money if you've got it - it's probably worth it in the long run.

Here are a few pictures of mine, before I sold it:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2873

xreslr
04-28-2005, 07:23 AM
I appreciate the input. I'm thinking of buying one out west, then driving it home to upstate New York. Did that about five years ago in a 67 Lincoln.

Of course, If I find a sweet one nearby, the trip will be a lot shorter. Basically, I'm looking for a fun, dependable car for spring/summer/fall, and have always found these cars to be pretty good-looking in an odd sort of way.

Thanks again!

Chris

xreslr
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
How are these cars in terms of space. I've heard there's plenty of legroom, but how about headroom? I'm six-one and have short legs, so most of my height is in the upper body. Will the roof accommodate me?

I just don't see many 914s around here, and I'd rather not take a trip to look at one only to find I don't fit in it.

Thanks...

Egg Nog
05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
How are these cars in terms of space. I've heard there's plenty of legroom, but how about headroom? I'm six-one and have short legs, so most of my height is in the upper body. Will the roof accommodate me?

I just don't see many 914s around here, and I'd rather not take a trip to look at one only to find I don't fit in it.

Thanks...

I am 6 feet even, and I didn't really notice any lack of room. There is more than you would imagine by looking at it, because you sit soo low down. I would hardly call a 914 "spacious", but there was definitely enough room. Lots of room in the trunks, surprisingly :D

Esperante
05-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Well, of course there's plenty of storage space if you have two trunks. :D

carbuff
05-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Here are some photos of 914-6 GTs. The green one in the second row is the cream of the crop. Most experts consider it to be top 914-6 GT because of its history. The astronaut Pete Conrad drove it a Sebring for Ralph Meaney Racing.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_9146_gt_race_cars

henk4
05-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Bill Noon's (Symbolic Motorsports) ex Buzzani 914-6 GT, (914-043.1571) as participated in the Tour Auto 2005. (as well as in 2004)