PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

alpha147
01-15-2004, 02:09 AM
It's ten o'clock at night. An empty motorway stretches ahead of you, and there's hardly any traffic to get in your way. The overwhelming urge is to put more pressure on the throttle, to explore those upper reaches of the speedo that you rarely get the chance to. But don't feel too secure. Hundreds of thousands of UK motorists were accused of speeding last year thanks to the thousands of speed cameras situated around the UK's roads - and there are plans afoot to erect thousands more of the lovely fellas.

Whatever you think about these unpopular roadside ornaments, ignoring them will cost you dear. And not only in cash terms - your licence could be in jeopardy too. But help is at hand thanks to a number of technology-loaded devices that not only warn you of upcoming cameras, but also of the proximity of other hazards.

Richard

Batmobile_Turbo
01-15-2004, 10:57 AM
from what i've read in car magazines, the Valentine 1 is the best you can buy.

Motorer1
01-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Makes me proud to be an american. Althought the Highway Patrol here are all doofs.

crisis
01-15-2004, 05:22 PM
The Victorian Government (Australia) has suspended the use of some of its cameras while they are being checked for accuracy. One clocked a circa 1970 ish Datsun 120y at over 160kmh. When the driver took it to be tested it could barely attain 120kmh. A truck was also clocked at a unreachable velocity. These things are purely revenue raisers as we all know. In South
Australia we have recently had the speed limit reduced to 50kmh on non major roads. In the case of side streets I have no qualm however they have included many minor arterial and main roads also. The state government is in for a bumper year I feel. Life sucking parasites that they are.

NoOne
01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
We had radar cameras in use in southern Ontario several years ago, if I remember correctly they were removed on the "right to know" basis. This, as in the U.S., is the people have the right to know that they are under surveillance.

I realize that they are a huge revenue maker, but they are flawed, if your CAR is caught speeding, then you are fined - whether or not you are the driver.

Could this be a case of guilty by circumstance? If its your car you must have been speeding, from my understanding, so many people pleaded not guilty to the fine and courtrooms were so jammed with people, that if you fought the ticket it would take better than 6 months to get a court date. Safety in numbers. :D

Unfortunately there is talk about bringing them back, our provincial government have blatantly stated it will be primarily for the revenue ... a shame its not for public safety, perhaps that is the second, third or fourth important reason.

r34_296kw
01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
from what i've read in car magazines, the Valentine 1 is the best you can buy.but they do cost a lot

Egg Nog
01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
May I please direct everybody to this thread:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388

It's already under full discussion here, and much has been said.