PDA

View Full Version : The SAT

Rockefella
05-07-2005, 09:42 AM
So, who else took the SAT besides me today. If anyone is interested, it's like 11 sections of joy, 8 of the sections being 25 min. each, 2 sections of 20 min, and 1 final section of 10 min. The entire test is based on maths and english and took us exactly 4 hrs and 15 min. to complete (w/ 2 5-minute stretch breaks in between.. other than that, you just start a new section once the proctor advises you to do so after time is called.)

At least hellweek's over for me, got AP History and the SAT done, whooahh. I think I got somewhere in the 1900 range.

spi-ti-tout
05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Whats a SAT?
Heard of them before. They're like the American Board Exams right?

johnnynumfiv
05-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I just got home from taking them. 5 hours of pure bordem.

targa
05-07-2005, 09:59 AM
So, who else took the SAT besides me today. If anyone is interested, it's like 11 sections of joy, 8 of the sections being 25 min. each, 2 sections of 20 min, and 1 final section of 10 min. The entire test is based on maths and english and took us exactly 4 hrs and 15 min. to complete (w/ 2 5-minute stretch breaks in between.. other than that, you just start a new section once the proctor advises you to do so after time is called.)

At least hellweek's over for me, got AP History and the SAT done, whooahh. I think I got somewhere in the 1900 range.i havent registered for the one in june yet

how was the writing section? what exactly did you have to do?

johnnynumfiv
05-07-2005, 10:44 AM
You have 2 pages and 25 minutes to pick a side on a statement/subject.

blackcat77
05-07-2005, 11:35 AM
If schools and students spent as much time teaching stuff that really mattered instead of focusing all their attention on testing, we'd have smarter kids who are more prepared for the real world. One private school in my state spent a full six weeks preparing their students for the ISTEP (state) tests. Sure, they did great on the test, but what about all the other stuff that got shunted aside?

my porsche
05-07-2005, 11:41 AM
i took them last year for the 7th grade duke talent search thing, di you think it was hard johhny and rocke?

taz_rocks_miami
05-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I took the SAT a looooong time back in high school, don't remember what I got but I did get into a good university (University of Kansas) so I guess I didn't do too bad.

johnnynumfiv
05-07-2005, 11:44 AM
It wasn't that hard, its just a really long test.

my porsche
05-07-2005, 11:47 AM
yeah thats what i thought also, i ant stand the long tests! we get a whole flippin day to do a test i finish in 15 minutes every year, and if you dont finish in all day you can go after school too! dan slackers, so we have to sit there being silent and still for 6 hours, how fun

targa
05-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I took the SAT a looooong time back in high school, don't remember what I got but I did get into a good university (University of Kansas) so I guess I didn't do too bad.you play basketball?

or throw chairs?

taz_rocks_miami
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
you play basketball?

or throw chairs?

Nah, I'm too short to play basketball (5'6'') but KU did win the NCAA champoinship when I was there http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tam.honeyman/smilies/col2/clap.gif

Homem de Gelo
05-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Is the SAT the same for the entire country?

taz_rocks_miami
05-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Is the SAT the same for the entire country?

It should be, but I've heard for years it's made in such a way that it discriminates students from lower income school districts.

Rockefella
05-07-2005, 01:56 PM
i took them last year for the 7th grade duke talent search thing, di you think it was hard johhny and rocke?
It depends on what you mean by difficult. It's more confusing then hard though considering most of the answers look correct, especially in english. The length kills you though.

Godlaus
05-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Just took it today. The essay question was; "Are ingenious new brilliant minds required to create progress in today's society? Do we need new theological brains to ignore the pasty and tackle problems from another angle? Why or why not"

Or somethng like that.

4 hours of living hell. I aced it, but it was excruciating. It's almost funny how easy it is now that I sit there and patiently look through the questions and answers.

Quiggs
05-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I took the SAT back in 03. I was shooting for a 1200, 600 on each side. I got a 600 Math and a 590 Verbal. That day was dreadfully boring.

targa
05-07-2005, 07:03 PM
It should be, but I've heard for years it's made in such a way that it discriminates students from lower income school districts.it could be seen that way, but its also true that lower income schools have poorer, as in less educated, teachers, so quality of learning will lack in those schools

PsychoChimp22
05-07-2005, 07:40 PM
I had to take teh IDED this year, freshman. :p. Not quite as important. (or at all lol)
Next year i have to take the WASL, and thanks to Bush's "no child left behind" :rolleyes: i am in teh first grade that has to pass it to graduate... :mad:

targa
05-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I had to take teh IDED this year, freshman. :p. Not quite as important. (or at all lol)
Next year i have to take the WASL, and thanks to Bush's "no child left behind" :rolleyes: i am in teh first grade that has to pass it to graduate... :mad:sorry buddy, so you are class of 2008 then?

Rockefella
05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Just took it today. The essay question was; "Are ingenious new brilliant minds required to create progress in today's society? Do we need new theological brains to ignore the pasty and tackle problems from another angle? Why or why not"

Or somethng like that.

4 hours of living hell. I aced it, but it was excruciating. It's almost funny how easy it is now that I sit there and patiently look through the questions and answers.
Whadda you think you got?

Godlaus
05-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Whadda you think you got?

hmm.....1350 on the first two parts? Math section was the easiest thing I've ever seen, but the analyzing of the little anecdotes and describing the little crap is annoying and ambiguos in it's answers.

Essay didn't leave any guidelines, but I hinted at history, threw up some names and a couple of writings by orson scott card, so, I dunno. This is the first year that the essay is implemented, so there's nothing for college's to base it off of (other than everybody else), so the essay isn't as important. What question did you get for the essay?

Rockefella
05-07-2005, 09:22 PM
hmm.....1350 on the first two parts? Math section was the easiest thing I've ever seen, but the analyzing of the little anecdotes and describing the little crap is annoying and ambiguos in it's answers.

Essay didn't leave any guidelines, but I hinted at history, threw up some names and a couple of writings by orson scott card, so, I dunno. This is the first year that the essay is implemented, so there's nothing for college's to base it off of (other than everybody else), so the essay isn't as important. What question did you get for the essay?
The importance of work in our daily lives and how it affects our schedules. Wasn't half bad.

PsychoChimp22
05-07-2005, 11:22 PM
sorry buddy, so you are class of 2008 then?

Yes i am. :(

spi-ti-tout
05-08-2005, 05:12 AM
It should be, but I've heard for years it's made in such a way that it discriminates students from lower income school districts.
In what kind of ways? :confused:

taz_rocks_miami
05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
In what kind of ways? :confused:

Like Targa said:

it could be seen that way, but its also true that lower income schools have poorer, as in less educated, teachers, so quality of learning will lack in those schools

Lower income schools get less educated teachers also fewer resources and materials, the students performance will suffer. The SAT is made in such a way that it favors students that have better teachers, resources ect.

nist7
05-08-2005, 03:06 PM
SAT ... Scholastic Aptitude Test. Written and administered by College Board, which is a for-profit organization that made the SAT so that colleges can gauge whether or not a particular student will succeed. Usually higher scores meant smarter students. The perfect score used to be 1600 until this year, when they added a writing section, and the maximum score is now 2400. Math 800, Verbal 800, Writing 800.

College board also makes the AP tests, which measure knowledge in various subjects, Am, History, English, Calculus, Chem, etc. etc.

targa
06-04-2005, 08:21 PM
i know this reviving an old thread, but i think its relevant

i took the SAT today, it was the biggets shitfest of my entire life, i dont think i did too well on it

the essay question was "Do you think memories hinder people's ability to learn from the past?"

didnt quite finish the conclusion, but i got mostly through it

there were also a a few questions on the math section that didnt quite make sence:
the first dealt with a f(x) formula that had 'if f(x) = formula including the variable x, then solve for f(x)'

i may be wrong, but i think to solve for f(x) you must be given the value of x to use in the formula

the second that stuck with me was this:

"which of the following CANNOT be the median of these five numbers?"
11, 9, 12, 15, x

(a) 9
(b) 10
(c) 11
(d) 12
(e) 13

if you are not given the value of "x" then what are you to assume the limits of "x" are? can you use decimals?

can anyone help me with this?

also, did anyone else visit the bowels of hell (take the SAT) today?

Godlaus
06-04-2005, 08:51 PM
"which of the following CANNOT be the median of these five numbers?"
11, 9, 12, 15, x

(a) 9
(b) 10
(c) 11
(d) 12
(e) 13

(A), (B), (E)

No matter how small or large X can be, it will always have either 1 or zero numbers smaller, or 3 or 4 numbers bigger.

In order for 10 to be the median, x would have to be 10, as there is no ten in the choices, however, the median would then come out to 11.

In order for 11 to be the median, x<9

In order for 12 to be the median, x>15

In order for 13 to be the median, x would have to be 13, to amke that choice possible, but then, the median would be 12.

Are you sure you remembered the question correctly? There are 5 values, so the numbers won't be split, so I think there's error on your side of relaying it to us.

Godlaus
06-04-2005, 08:54 PM
there were also a a few questions on the math section that didnt quite make sence:
the first dealt with a f(x) formula that had 'if f(x) = formula including the variable x, then solve for f(x)'

i may be wrong, but i think to solve for f(x) you must be given the value of x to use in the formula

So, f(x)=3x+4

And they asked you what f(x) was? Then f(x) = (f(x)-4)/3.

If they want a numerical value, then you need the value of X.

targa
06-04-2005, 09:11 PM
So, f(x)=3x+4

And they asked you what f(x) was? Then f(x) = (f(x)-4)/3.

If they want a numerical value, then you need the value of X.it was multiple choice and they were all numbers i wouldnt have questiond the problem had i not known how to do that type of problem, but i do, i had a 101.5 test average in Algebra II last semester, i know how to do it and there was no designated value for "x"

and i wrote the median problem wrong, all i know its that it was making no sense at 10.30 this morning

Viper007
06-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I also took it i think i got around a 1900

Rockefella
06-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Can you go into more detail?

targa
06-05-2005, 09:13 AM
it was something like -

f(x)=4000/2(x-1)

solve for f(x)

normally, the "x" value would be here > f(?)

but it was just f(x)

Rockefella
06-05-2005, 09:16 AM
it was something like -

f(x)=4000/2(x-1)

solve for f(x)

normally, the "x" value would be here > f(?)

but it was just f(x)
Maybe it was a trick question... making f(x) = f(x)... so the answer is the same as the question. But IDK, would have to see the question exactly as it was stated.