PDA

View Full Version : Progress: Ferrari 612 GTC Concept

Dino Scuderia
05-13-2005, 08:41 AM
As usual too many ideas too little time...

This is Revell's new 612 Scaglietti kit which I am converting to a 612 GTC concept. I'm using parts from Tamiya's Skyline R34 JGTC kit and so far everything is falling into place quite well....as far as kitbash projects go.

So far I am in the test fitting stage and have already grafted the R34 hood vents into the 612 hood. Have also cut the wide body flaes from the Skyline and they will be molded to the 612.

henk4
05-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Nice and well executed idea, may be it will find followers on a 1/1 scale :D
Are you going to change the front end too to make it look a bit meaner?

johnnyperl
05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
nice!!
excellent idea! I love the prodrive 550, this would be really cool! that hood looks awsome. my only sugestion would be to try and maintain the side profile indentaion on the front and rear fenders. side exhast would be cool too.
cant wait to see the final product.

dydzi
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
very interesting idea, i can't wait to see it when it's finished

illusionest
05-13-2005, 12:33 PM
:eek:
i have the tamiya skyline R34 JGTC kit too! :D :D :D

except im adding lights to mine :p

nice conversion there! :) looking awesomeeeee

Dino Scuderia
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the inspiration, comments and suggestions!

Dino Scuderia
05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Got the Skyline chassis lengthened to the correct wheelbase measurement for the 612. A few tweaks to the new body pieces too as this kind of project advances in baby steps.

There will be a lot of complex putty sculpting to blend it all in.

Manik
05-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Wow it's looking pretty awesome. Much, Much better than the original. The wide bodykits you have put on the fenders look great, and also like the roll cage! I can't wait to see this thing painted!:D Wow on the last pictures I see you have 2 beautiful Ferrari's in cases on the wall. Absolutly stunning, Keep up the great work!:D:D

Dino Scuderia
05-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Put on a coat of primer and began applying the putty.

henk4
05-16-2005, 08:37 AM
will you be putting the Calsonic decals on?

Dino Scuderia
05-16-2005, 08:39 AM
will you be putting the Calsonic decals on?

Hi

No, it will be Rosso Scuderia just like the 550 and the 575 GTC debut.

henk4
05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi

No, it will be Rosso Scuderia just like the 550 and the 575 GTC debut.

because the roll cage is still blue :D

Dino Scuderia
05-16-2005, 08:49 AM
because the roll cage is still blue :D

Yeah, haven't painted anything yet, still a long way to go.

henk4
05-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Yeah, haven't painted anything yet, still a long way to go.

TS44 is such a nice paint to work with, would be interesting a Calsonic Ferrari :)

Dino Scuderia
05-16-2005, 10:25 AM
TS44 is such a nice paint to work with, would be interesting a Calsonic Ferrari :)

Yes, a friend of mine painted his Enzo that color, it looks fantastic.

But I'm keeping with tradition so the concept makes sense.

Clivey
05-17-2005, 01:47 PM
You have some serious skills, I have always dreamed about becoming a car designer but it's too unrealistic to even attempt to persue. You're clearly having fun doing something that you're interested in and if the opportunity (going 'pro') becomes available, and if it's more prosperous than whatever you're currently doing you should take it.

Dino Scuderia
05-17-2005, 05:00 PM
You have some serious skills, I have always dreamed about becoming a car designer but it's too unrealistic to even attempt to persue. You're clearly having fun doing something that you're interested in and if the opportunity (going 'pro') becomes available, and if it's more prosperous than whatever you're currently doing you should take it.

Thanks mate!
:)

Clivey
05-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks mate!
:)

No problem,

How did you know that the arches from a skyline kit could be adapted to fit the Scaglietti? (these might be dumb questions) And how do you go about doing this sort of thing? It looks really, really cool and it's be better than PS'ing cars because at the end you have a material thing that you can show for your effort.

Dino Scuderia
05-18-2005, 04:19 AM
No problem,

How did you know that the arches from a skyline kit could be adapted to fit the Scaglietti? (these might be dumb questions) And how do you go about doing this sort of thing? It looks really, really cool and it's be better than PS'ing cars because at the end you have a material thing that you can show for your effort.

Well, I've always been interested in art and always been a car nut so modeling just seemed a natural outlet for me. I can appreciate the PS modelers too it's just not my thing.

Most any fender flare can fit on most any body if you sand it to an agreeable shape, but of course not all styles go together. There is a store chain here that occasionally puts their models on sale for half price so I buy some kits to use just for parts such as the case with the 612 project. I didn't know the two styles would work together...I just started opening boxes and comparing til something clicked.

If you don't have the luxury of using spare kits for parts you can fashion your own flares and other custom bits from putty. A good automotive grade 2 part putty which won't shrink after it hardens is best. Most puttys sand about the same rate as plastic so they work quite well. Also you can use spare plastic...plastic can be added or sanded away easily so mistakes can be fixed along the way, nothings permanent.

Give it a go, mate!

Rockefella
05-18-2005, 04:48 AM
Well, I've always been interested in art and always been a car nut so modeling just seemed a natural outlet for me. I can appreciate the PS modelers too it's just not my thing.

Most any fender flare can fit on most any body if you sand it to an agreeable shape, but of course not all styles go together. There is a store chain here that occasionally puts their models on sale for half price so I buy some kits to use just for parts such as the case with the 612 project. I didn't know the two styles would work together...I just started opening boxes and comparing til something clicked.

If you don't have the luxury of using spare kits for parts you can fashion your own flares and other custom bits from putty. A good automotive grade 2 part putty which won't shrink after it hardens is best. Most puttys sand about the same rate as plastic so they work quite well. Also you can use spare plastic...plastic can be added or sanded away easily so mistakes can be fixed along the way, nothings permanent.

Give it a go, mate!
Nice advise but there is one warning: modeling is Expensive. $$$ :o

Dino Scuderia
05-18-2005, 05:22 AM

Any hobby can be expensive...tried playing golf? fishing? boating? biking? etc.

It's all relative my friend.

henk4
05-18-2005, 07:15 AM

and addictive too :D
but really, once you are fully equiped, things can be kept within manageable proportions, as long as you don't buy a Studio 27 F1 kit every week.

Clivey
05-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah, what sort of model kits do you guys buy...and what sort of stuff would I need to get started?

I've had an idea involving a Revell Corvette Stingray 3 model that I've had sitting in my wardrobe for a couple of years...it's a great looking car but some of the details now look "so '90s". I'd also like to re-design the front of the Ferrari F50...remove the black 'stripe' around the car and the indicators, tried it on Photoplus and it looks much nicer. :cool:

Dino Scuderia
05-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Yeah, what sort of model kits do you guys buy...and what sort of stuff would I need to get started?

I've had an idea involving a Revell Corvette Stingray 3 model that I've had sitting in my wardrobe for a couple of years...it's a great looking car but some of the details now look "so '90s". I'd also like to re-design the front of the Ferrari F50...remove the black 'stripe' around the car and the indicators, tried it on Photoplus and it looks much nicer. :cool:

Sounds like you have some ideas, here's a link to a couple of modeling tools lists.

Modeling Supplies (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=578979&postcount=4)

Dino Scuderia
05-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Body work is close to being finished. Got most of the wide fenders blended in, added brake cooling ducts and cooling scoops at the leading edge of the rear haunches. I think one more putty session will get it done, then I have to scribe in a few panel lines for realism.

Rockefella
05-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Very nice Dino, can't wait to see it done.

Clivey
05-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Sounds like you have some ideas, here's a link to a couple of modeling tools lists.

Modeling Supplies (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=578979&postcount=4)

Cheers, that 612 looks awesome so far :cool:

derekthetree
05-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Body work is close to being finished. Got most of the wide fenders blended in, added brake cooling ducts and cooling scoops at the leading edge of the rear haunches. I think one more putty session will get it done, then I have to scribe in a few panel lines for realism.

that looks so good. the new parts have blended in completely. do designers use a similar method when they make their design proposals?

Dino Scuderia
05-23-2005, 08:07 AM
that looks so good. the new parts have blended in completely. do designers use a similar method when they make their design proposals?

Thanks all!

Erm....real designers do borrow ideas from other cars, there are many examples of that. They have computers and training in designed coupled with natural talent also. Mostly when designing street cars they use the DNA method or traits from their designs throughout thier previous car line history. Even when they break away from a direct evolution you can still see the roots most times.

When designing race cars regulations dictate a lot about what a car will look like.

derekthetree
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks all!

Erm....real designers do borrow ideas from other cars, there are many examples of that. They have computers and training in designed coupled with natural talent also. Mostly when designing street cars they use the DNA method or traits from their designs throughout thier previous car line history. Even when they break away from a direct evolution you can still see the roots most times.

When designing race cars regulations dictate a lot about what a car will look like.

i was actually asking about the method of smoothing and blending in different shapes in the models themselves :)

Dino Scuderia
05-23-2005, 11:12 AM
i was actually asking about the method of smoothing and blending in different shapes in the models themselves :)

They start with a block of clay, so it's a sculpting excercise, not like assembling shapes then blending them in.

dydzi
05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
aww it looks so cool :D what colour it'll be? you're going to put some stickers on it or something?

Dino Scuderia
05-23-2005, 12:19 PM
aww it looks so cool :D what colour it'll be? you're going to put some stickers on it or something?

Thanks!

612 plans (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=306669&postcount=11)

johnnyperl
05-23-2005, 04:14 PM
looking good!
really like the line from the front bumper up and around into the front fender and how you combined the side indentation and front wheel vent. will you be smoothing the rear fenders (second pic)?
couldnt resist...

Dino Scuderia
05-23-2005, 04:26 PM
looking good!
really like the line from the front bumper up and around into the front fender and how you combined the side indentation and front wheel vent. will you be smoothing the rear fenders (second pic)?
couldnt resist...

Wow! Looks good in red....yummy.

Erm, wasn't planning on bringing the rear haunches that high....but I will consider it as it doesn't look all bad. I was planning to make it match the shape of the top of the front fenders.

johnnyperl
05-23-2005, 05:07 PM
I was planning to make it match the shape of the top of the front fenders.
oh i see, that makes sense.

have you made any other modified models before, seems like you know what your doing?
EDIT: nevermind, i just went looking through the forum...

hurry up! :D

Digitor
05-28-2005, 05:28 AM
That looks nice! the wide fenders make it look tough. Can't wait to see the finished product! :D :p

Clivey
05-31-2005, 03:01 AM
Erm, how much ££? :cool: I'm amazed after seeing some of the models on here - they look so professional and...real!

I'll start trying to modify that Stingray III when I've finished my GCSE exams (a fortnight away), because it was a '90s design the wheels and certain other parts look very dated so i'll try to resurrect the design and hopefully paint it a better colour than the black that came in the box, which has probably turned to crud since it's been sittin in the wardrobe for a few years.

Dino Scuderia
06-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Ready for paint!

Rockefella
06-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Ready for paint!
Awesome!

henk4
06-08-2005, 12:09 AM
I have the nagging feeling that the rear wheel arch is oversized, especially at the front part, compared to the size of the tyre or the track width

Dino Scuderia
06-08-2005, 03:43 AM
I have the nagging feeling that the rear wheel arch is oversized, especially at the front part, compared to the size of the tyre or the track width

The rear opening opens up a bit, but I've seen other race cars do the same. Mine is only a little more open that the 575 GTC.

henk4
06-08-2005, 04:02 AM
the rear wheels of the 575 are differently proportioned, may be your body sits about 2 or 3 mm too deep. I added a pic of the real Calsonic model, where obviously the rear tyres have a better "fit"

Dino Scuderia
06-08-2005, 04:14 AM
the rear wheels of the 575 are differently proportioned, may be your body sits about 2 or 3 mm too deep. I added a pic of the real Calsonic model, where obviously the rear tyres have a better "fit"

The wheels are not in their final position yet, it'll look fine when complete.

henk4
06-08-2005, 04:43 AM
The wheels are not in their final position yet, it'll look fine when complete.
can't wait :)

aNOBLEman
06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
That's looking really good so far. :)

LTT
06-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Looks fantastic Dino, great work.

Viper007
06-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Dam, hes good! Awesome job, I have got to learn how to do that!

Dino Scuderia
06-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Dam, hes good! Awesome job, I have got to learn how to do that!

Thanks!

Well, since you are in Atlanta you need to come to the IPMS Nationals in July because I will be performing a body modification seminar there.

Also check out the model club I belong to, ACME, we have monthly meetings and a model show every November.

2005 IPMS National Convention/model show/contest (http://www.ipmsusa2005.org/)

Atlanta Car Modeling Enthusiast (http://www.acme-ipms.com/)

Dino Scuderia
06-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Getting the interior sorted.

Cotterik
06-12-2005, 01:08 PM
wow what amazing job, thats so great how you converted it so well, you should send photos of it to ferrari.

Dino Scuderia
06-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks all!

Got hood vents carbon fibered.

Esperante
06-16-2005, 03:54 PM
That looks really good! Excellent job!

I have to learn how to graft on parts and use putty....

But tell me, who did you 'carbonfibreize' the vents so well?

Dino Scuderia
06-17-2005, 06:56 AM
That looks really good! Excellent job!

I have to learn how to graft on parts and use putty....

But tell me, who did you 'carbonfibreize' the vents so well?

Thanks!

I use Scale Motorsport carbon fiber decals because they conform very well to almost any surface shape.

On these vents the decal is one piece which was cut to the shape of the outer edge of the vent. I use Microscale's Micro Sol solvent to soften the decal, it is brushed onto the part first then the decal is laid on it. When the decal begins to soften I blow hot air on it with a hair blow dryer set on the hot setting. The decal begins to shrink and sink into the shape of the vents...I then carefully cut the decal with an Exacto knife so it would fall into all the surfaces of the complex shape. Then I put more solvent on the decal to keep it soft so it would lay flat, then I put some more heat to it but that doesn't dry it completley. After it sits over night the decal continues to shrink and dry out...at that point it is as if it were painted on.

Dino Scuderia
06-20-2005, 06:46 AM
Got the headlight buckets carboned and completed, lenses tinted yellow, wing and grile work carboned, wheels/brakes assembled, fuel fillers installed in side windows.

ruim20
06-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Can you tak some pics of it, without the glass that covers the headlights, i'd like to see how it looks, by the way, great job! really god!

Dino Scuderia
06-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Can you tak some pics of it, without the glass that covers the headlights, i'd like to see how it looks, by the way, great job! really god!

Take pics of what? There is no glass over the headlights in that pic.
:confused:

my porsche
06-20-2005, 08:18 AM
looks nice, you just went to town with the carbon didnt you?! if you dont mind me asking, why/how did you tint the lenses?

Dino Scuderia
06-20-2005, 08:22 AM
looks nice, you just went to town with the carbon didnt you?! if you dont mind me asking, why/how did you tint the lenses?

Yes, a lot of carbon but I want it have the proper race car look.

To tint the lenses I airbrushed Tamiya clear yellow onto the back of the lense. The pic color doesn't look like it does in person, it's more yellow.

my porsche
06-20-2005, 08:26 AM
thats amazing how you got it transparent yellow....dang. how long have you been modeling?

hey can you check what i posted in the what kit i should get thread and see if those are good ones

henk4
06-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Yes, a lot of carbon but I want it have the proper race car look.

To tint the lenses I airbrushed Tamiya clear yellow onto the back of the lense. The pic color doesn't look like it does in person, it's more yellow.

have you already tried the new clear TS sprays?

Dino Scuderia
06-20-2005, 08:36 AM
have you already tried the new clear TS sprays?

I have them but have found little use for them besides tinting car bodies. Too much paint sprays out of the can for small parts like light lenses, besides you would waste a lot of paint doing that.

henk4
06-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I have them but have found little use for them besides tinting car bodies. Too much paint sprays out of the can for small parts like light lenses, besides you would waste a lot of paint doing that.

OK and how about the smoke can?

Dino Scuderia
06-20-2005, 10:09 AM
OK and how about the smoke can?

Haven't used the smoke, I suppose it would be okay to tint windows if sprayed carefully, but still for tinting windows Tamiya's bottle acrylic smoke can be used for that with less waste.

henk4
06-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Haven't used the smoke, I suppose it would be okay to tint windows if sprayed carefully, but still for tinting windows Tamiya's bottle acrylic smoke can be used for that with less waste.

with an airbrush I presume

Dino Scuderia
06-20-2005, 10:15 AM
with an airbrush I presume

Of course, the best option if you have one, but if you don't then there are the cans.

ruim20
06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Take pics of what? There is no glass over the headlights in that pic.
:confused:

i'm asking for photos of them WHEN you glue them to the body work :)

tamiyarevell
06-21-2005, 05:09 AM
cool~I love it

illusionest
06-21-2005, 04:35 PM
omg that is amazing!! o_O

wide body is very very very nice, looks like it was 1 piece! :D