PDA

View Full Version : Reviving Old, Dead Threads

Egg Nog
01-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Is anyone else getting tired of these? People are clicking on the "similar threads" links when they post, and keep on reviving ancient old threads. I just deleted one regarding "hotflank".

Do you think that 7 or so months later, people are still waiting on replies? ;) Let's try to keep this to a minimum, because most of these revived threads disappeared for a reason.

Misho
01-25-2004, 08:44 AM
With eachday we get more and more users (which is OK for now), but the more users we get, the more this problem seems to arise. New users don't know the difference between old and new threads, so they keep reviving these old threads without looking at their dates. Obviously anyone that sees the classic threads such as "your favourite Mercedes" or "best engine" will want to input his/her opinion.
So how can we solve this dilemma ? any suggestions ?

Falcon500
01-25-2004, 08:49 AM
maybey freezing of a thread after a month of not being used so you cand still look but cant post?

Matt
01-25-2004, 08:55 AM
maybey freezing of a thread after a month of not being used so you cand still look but cant post?

That sounds like a good idea. I'm against deleting old threads, mostly because that would delete all the pictures in my Hide-Out. ;)

Misho
01-25-2004, 08:58 AM
generally speaking, this would be a good idea. but in certain threads, such as the "Politics" thread or the "post ur pic" thread, that might not be the best solution.
maybe then u can obtain permission from any of the moderators and ask them to open it again if its that important.

anyways, although this might not seem as much of a problem for now, but the more users we get, the more this will be a hassle. so lets try and tackle it as early as possible. remember, prevention is the best cure (or something like that) !!

Homem de Gelo
01-25-2004, 01:00 PM
The voices in my head tell me to revive old threads.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-25-2004, 09:09 PM
maybe someone should delete forums that died and cannot be brought back to life.

Wouter Melissen
01-26-2004, 05:37 AM
I will not delete or prune old posts, they are a great source for information. Bringing them back has to be done at the user's discretion.