PDA

View Full Version : Nurburgring

my porsche
05-20-2005, 05:06 PM
what profesional races are held at the 'ring? i think it would be awesome to see what times F1 cars set there! and also is tehre an LMS race tehre?

ZeTurbo
05-20-2005, 05:10 PM
there is a 24Hour enduro... its the most famous one i think.
maybe a DTM race also...
Formula 1 races used to be held there.

Coventrysucks
05-20-2005, 05:12 PM
There are many professional races at the Nurburgring, including the European GP and DTM series.

Few, however, include the Nordschleife.

Jack_Bauer
05-20-2005, 05:31 PM
As far as I'm aware the 24 hour race they run there is the only major pro racing event they run on the Nordschleife. Obviously the modern GP track is used more extensively (with the European GP there next weekend), but it's generally considered a fairly tame track, even by modern standards. :(

dydzi
05-21-2005, 01:22 PM
There are many professional races at the Nurburgring, including the European GP and DTM series.

Few, however, include the Nordschleife.

yeah, same situation with f1
i bet races there used to be so great back in the 80's :)

ZeTurbo
05-21-2005, 01:27 PM
considering that they shortened Hockenheim so that people would see the cars more often, i doubt a F1 race will ever be held at the Northshleif again.

they do have a point though, why would you pay 500$ for a good seat, only to see the car go by 15 or 20 times...

pretty sure they would get the fastest lap.

Coventrysucks
05-21-2005, 01:42 PM
considering that they shortened Hockenheim so that people would see the cars more often, i doubt a F1 race will ever be held at the Northshleif again.

I think you'll find that the lack of professional racing on the full Nurburgring circuit is due to safety aspects more than lack of spectating opportunities.

You'd need an army of marshalls, with medical centres dotted all along the course etc.

And they would have to rebulid most of the circuit to install the neccessary run-off areas, gravel traps etc.

I have to say that I am a bit confused as to why the 24hr race uses the shortened Sprint circuit before heading out into the countryside.

Surely if you are using the full 14 miles of the Nordschleife then an extra 0.6 miles of the full GP circuit wouldn't be an issue.

The Tuner
05-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Nordschleife...Hockenheim...Nurburgring

wha...???

i thot Nurburgring was one track...

Jack_Bauer
05-22-2005, 05:36 AM

wha...???

The Nordschleife is the name given to the original Nurburgring circuit. It is the 13 mile stretch of public road that used to be closed off for major races. Due to safety reasons the old circuit ceased to be used (they stopped F1 racing there after Niki Lauda's near fatal accident). There is now a purpose built modern Grand Prix circuit which is used for major racing events. It is not actually part of the original Nordschleife, though there is a short stretch whoch connects the two, and that is what is used for the Nurburgring 24hr GT race that still exists today.

Hockenheim is a completely different track to the Nurburgring.

Coventrysucks
05-22-2005, 07:22 AM

wha...???

Is now a bad time to lament the loss of the Sudschleife?

Matra et Alpine
05-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Is now a bad time to lament the loss of the Sudschleife?
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.jacquet/Historique%20vestiges%20E.htm

The Tuner
05-24-2005, 04:13 AM
i got this pic, i believe it is of the Nurburgring.
could sum1 point out where it starts plz. and how long is this particular track? is it open to anyone to race on? wat is the official fastes lap time and in which car? has anyone been on this track before?

so many questions...:D

CHEESE-TACULAR
05-24-2005, 04:15 AM
anybody can race on the north loop in anything, the current record is held by a car called the Donkervoot-ill find the time

Coventrysucks
05-24-2005, 04:55 AM
www.nordschleife.no

www.nuerburgring.de

Start/ finish line is before Hatzenbach, although I think they use the start / finish line of the GP course for races.

netburner
05-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Races at Nurburgring (short track):

DTM
Formula 1
some other Touringcar series
some motorbike races

Nurburgring Nordschleife:

Veedol Longcourse Championship (VLN)
24h Nurburgring
Castrol Haugg Cup

jorismo
05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
And both circuits (nurburgring and hockenheim) are really good to reach by car... I alwys drive past them when I'm around...

Jack_Bauer
05-24-2005, 10:11 AM
i got this pic, i believe it is of the Nurburgring.
could sum1 point out where it starts plz. and how long is this particular track? is it open to anyone to race on? wat is the official fastes lap time and in which car? has anyone been on this track before?

so many questions...:D

Your map you posted seems a wee bit sketchy and over-simplified.

I've attached two more accurate ones. One is a properly scaled map (though the corner names are a little small and hard to read), and the other is a satellite photo of the course.

The track is just a fraction under 13 miles with the start finish line on the short straight after the Chicane and before T13. There are many tourist days on the 'Ring where anyone can pay to drive the track (it is essentially a toll-road), but it is not "open to anyone to race on", racing each other is strictly forbidden as it is at any other public trackday. :)