PDA

View Full Version : WWII pictures.

Quiggs
05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/world_war_2_photos.html

Some very deep stuff.

78. "The tragedy of this Sudeten woman, unable to conceal her misery as she dutifully salutes the triumphant Hitler, is the tragedy of the silent millions who have been `won over' to Hitlerism by the `everlasting use' of ruthless force." Ca. 1938. 208-PP-10A-2.
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_78.jpg

4. "General MacArthur surveys the beachhead on Leyte Island, soon after American forces swept ashore from a gigantic liberation armada into the central Philippines, at the historic moment when the General made good his promise `I shall return.'" 1944. 26-G- 3584.
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_04.jpg

95. "Americans of Japanese descent, Infantrymen of the 442nd Regiment, run for cover as a German artillery shell is about to land outside the building." Levine, Italy. April 4, 1945. 111-SC-337154.
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_95.jpg

And maybe the most famous picture from World War 2...
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_156.jpg

taz_rocks_miami
05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Compeling to be sure Quiggs. Pics of humanity at it worse :(

illusionest
05-30-2005, 09:19 PM
o_o

whoa.. interesting....
(surgery (http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_53.jpg) one is scary :S)

PsychoChimp22
05-30-2005, 09:40 PM
How about a little Nagasaki?

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/1738/nagasakibomb1kk.th.jpg (http://img251.echo.cx/my.php?image=nagasakibomb1kk.jpg)

PininfarinaPIMP
05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
[B][I]Yeah you wanna start ranting about the tragedy of wars try Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the hmmm 2-6 million North Vietnamese civilians killed by US troops... or how about Iraq...

PsychoChimp22
05-30-2005, 10:40 PM
[B][I]Yeah you wanna start ranting about the tragedy of wars try Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the hmmm 2-6 million North Vietnamese civilians killed by US troops... or how about Iraq...

Meah, same thing really. They bomb something very important of ours, kill our people, then we bomb something important of theirs, completely whipe out 2 of their cities. A concept that worked great in teh 40s, but now days americans just complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and nothing ever gets done.

clutch-monkey
05-30-2005, 11:21 PM
didn't see any river kwai pics, thats where my where my grandpa was a POW after the dutch army collapsed in indonesia

PsychoChimp22
05-30-2005, 11:23 PM
didn't see any river kwai pics, thats where my where my grandpa was a POW after the dutch army collapsed in indonesia

The only person that i know of from my family in the military was my direct grandfather who was aperantly a master surgeon for the confederates in the civil war. That much have SUCKED.

drakkie
05-30-2005, 11:43 PM
my one grandpa was a small boy in the 40's. he had to bike 100 km twice a week to get a big bag of flowers to eat for his family.remember, bike tires were made from wood back then in the war !!!!
my other grandpa was in the resistance, but has told almost noone about it.i am really intrested, i will ask him one day...

Egg Nog
05-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Meah, same thing really. They bomb something very important of ours, kill our people, then we bomb something important of theirs, completely whipe out 2 of their cities. A concept that worked great in teh 40s, but now days americans just complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and nothing ever gets done.
Oh yeah, it sure sucks that you can't kill more foreigners.

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 12:05 AM
Oh yeah, it sure sucks that you can't kill more foreigners.

America's military doesnt go around killing foreigners for shits and giggles. We get "hit" a lot, and in retaliation we hit back. Not that it wouldnt have been better to avoid it all together, but thats when everything goes wrong. When the big boys are trying to organise the people and smack back, america splits up. Some want us to go ahead, some dont. This makes the big boys hesitate becuase they dont want to upset either. Then, we just keep getting hit.

Egg Nog
05-31-2005, 12:11 AM
America's military doesnt go around killing foreigners for shits and giggles. We get "hit" a lot, and in retaliation we hit back. Not that it wouldnt have been better to avoid it all together, but thats when everything goes wrong. When the big boys are trying to organise the people and smack back, america splits up. Some want us to go ahead, some dont. This makes the big boys hesitate becuase they dont want to upset either. Then, we just keep getting hit.

Naturally, the killing foreigners thing was a little sarcastic (although not entirely, see: Nicaragua, Cambodia, etc). Of course countries like to get revenge, but how hard they hit back is can be an issue. Shooting someone in the face isn't an appropriate metaphorical rebuttal for getting kicked in the shins.

The concept didn't "work great" in the forties, it was absolutely horrible for both sides. I guess you have to watch the wording with things like th is. I don't really want to hijack this thread to argue with another disgruntled conservative ;) :), let's let it be.

derekthetree
05-31-2005, 12:56 AM

don't they discourage this type of thing at school :)

but really america needs to stop thinking it polices the world. it is just one of the sets of people that occupy this planet and it needs to realise that it can't control everyone.

i agree that 9/11 was a terrible event and that amount of human death is awful but going over to afganistan and removing by force a regime they installed is not right i didn't see spain bombing the baqsue region after the madrid bombings.

whoever originally used the phrase below whould b recogniosed for their foresight and good judgement

"violence solves nothing"

clutch-monkey
05-31-2005, 01:04 AM
don't they discourage this type of thing at school :)

but really america needs to stop thinking it polices the world. it is just one of the sets of people that occupy this planet and it needs to realise that it can't control everyone.

i agree that 9/11 was a terrible event and that amount of human death is awful but going over to afganistan and removing by force a regime they installed is not right i didn't see spain bombing the baqsue region after the madrid bombings.

whoever originally used the phrase below whould b recogniosed for their foresight and good judgement

its a bit hard when your such a high profile target - i mean really, any terrorist group that hates the west invariably targets america.

johnnyperl
05-31-2005, 01:11 AM
neither of the two wars we have now have causes directly related to our "hit" in 2001. both reasons for going to war have been around for decades, if not worse in the past. Also, america helped the taliban defeat russia and the US helped saddam defeat iran.
http://italy.indymedia.org/uploads/2003/02/rumsfeld-saddam.jpg

They bomb something very important of ours, kill our people, then we bomb something important of theirs,

in NO WAY was pearl harbor ok, no act of (or in) war is, but droping two nuclear bombs on civilians is quite a bit different than bombing a naval base.

this thread got nasty quick.

Matra et Alpine
05-31-2005, 05:22 AM
I'm suspicious of pic 78 description as it reeks of "rewritten history from the victors persepective"

You can find MANY pictures of people in tears at their success and/or freedom in wars ever since we started taking photographs

Haliburton are even using it in their ads ...
http://www.americanprogress.org/AccountTempFiles/cf/%7BE9245FE4-9A2B-43C7-A521-5D6FF2E06E03%7D/HAL.JPG
So think how that can be twisted for propoganda ...
"American soldier cries in terror at haliburton role in causing his friends deaths"

The same more than likely was done in #78 as 1938 was the peak of the propoganda war in Europe !!!

It pays to be cynical and consider ALL possibilities before believing one from any press or government :(

crisis
05-31-2005, 05:45 AM
its a bit hard when your such a high profile target - i mean really, any terrorist group that hates the west invariably targets america.
Why is the US a high profile target? It seeks to force its ideals of freedom and democracy on the rest of the world. Personally I can live with most of the US's concepts of freedom and democracy because Australia is very much like the US in many ways culturally. But to expect every country, many that have been around 100s/1000s of years before the US to suddenly say, hey yeah lets do it your way is arrogant and presumptuous. I will gladly concede many cultures have practices which I find morally objectionable but if you believe you can force change on 100s/1000s years of tradition then you better also expect resistance of some form.
Why isnt Switzerland a high profile target? Because they mind their business.

Matra et Alpine
05-31-2005, 07:08 AM
A bettter question is to ask why Norway or Sweden aren't high profiel targets ?
These both play strong diplomatic roles as mediators in areas all over the globe and are never "targetted".
There are many ways to advance freedom, by force isn't one I concur with :(

shr0olvl
05-31-2005, 07:22 AM

Confucious ?

derekthetree
05-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Confucious ?

i don't know if it was him but he definitely said this which seems very appropriate

Confucius thought that a ruler who had to resort to force had already failed as a ruler. "Your job is to govern, not to kill"

johnnyperl
05-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Why isnt Switzerland a high profile target?
hey! you got a problem with the swiss?
in the words of bush "Bring it on!" ;)

Cotterik
05-31-2005, 11:42 AM
trully amazing pictures, great source.

UCR
05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
If anyone knows any good sites for ww2 aircraft photo's please let me know :)

Egg Nog
05-31-2005, 11:58 AM
If anyone knows any good sites for ww2 aircraft photo's please let me know :)

There are quite a few on here:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/ww2incolor

Colour, too.

Quiggs
05-31-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/U-S-Air-Force/abd.jpg
This picture rules.

johnnynumfiv
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/U-S-Air-Force/abd.jpg
This picture rules.
Very cool.

I have several books full of pictures from world war two, one of the european area and pacific, VERY grusome pictures, it's sad to see what war can bring around. My family was very invovled with the war, one grandma and grandfather made .50 cal MG firing pins, the other grandma made paper products, and my other grandfather was a torpedo man in the pacific(was in tokyo bay at the time of the surrender), my great uncles were infantry, tank commanders, and pilots. One became a POW, I have his tags from the stalag, pins and medals they pulled off of dead germans, and a flag or two ;). If anyone wants any pics I can take them, they are pretty interesting.

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
neither of the two wars we have now have causes directly related to our "hit" in 2001. both reasons for going to war have been around for decades, if not worse in the past. Also, america helped the taliban defeat russia and the US helped saddam defeat iran.
http://italy.indymedia.org/uploads/2003/02/rumsfeld-saddam.jpg

in NO WAY was pearl harbor ok, no act of (or in) war is, but droping two nuclear bombs on civilians is quite a bit different than bombing a naval base.

this thread got nasty quick.

Hahaha, i know my hostory thank you, and i wasnt just refering to either of the bombing of the WT's. Im saying that this is the way it has been in every single conflict weve been sense the day after we fought for indepandance from brittan. (and othe europe)

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Naturally, the killing foreigners thing was a little sarcastic (although not entirely, see: Nicaragua, Cambodia, etc). Of course countries like to get revenge, but how hard they hit back is can be an issue. Shooting someone in the face isn't an appropriate metaphorical rebuttal for getting kicked in the shins.

The concept didn't "work great" in the forties, it was absolutely horrible for both sides. I guess you have to watch the wording with things like th is. I don't really want to hijack this thread to argue with another disgruntled conservative ;) :), let's let it be.

:) sense youve kind of lowerd what you were saying i do agree with what your saying. There have been... those times... when we are just being the kind on the rock with the magnifying glass.

The thing is that we are a big country, a big target to some, and we are also held responsibly for othe rcountries who cant hit back for themselfs.

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Why is the US a high profile target? It seeks to force its ideals of freedom and democracy on the rest of the world. Personally I can live with most of the US's concepts of freedom and democracy because Australia is very much like the US in many ways culturally. But to expect every country, many that have been around 100s/1000s of years before the US to suddenly say, hey yeah lets do it your way is arrogant and presumptuous. I will gladly concede many cultures have practices which I find morally objectionable but if you believe you can force change on 100s/1000s years of tradition then you better also expect resistance of some form.

Maybe its because were huge, have 300,000,000 people, excellent"accesability", and a GDP per capita higher than any other country in the world? That could inspire my imagination....

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM

How about Gandhi???

-An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind..

Matra et Alpine
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
a GDP per capita higher than any other country in the world? That could inspire my imagination....
taken from a certain site we all know and love perhaps ?

The US is second on GDP/capita to Luxembourg.
It's in a group including Guernsey, Norway and Jersey :)

but hey, dont' let facts prevent claiming world winning though. After all the WORLD Series is won every year by an American team so it must be great :)

Deckard
05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
"Fighting for peace is like f**king for virginity"

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 04:10 PM

but hey, dont' let facts prevent claiming world winning though. After all the WORLD Series is won every year by an American team so it must be great :)

Heh, i know.
Personal Politics: Luxembourg is a town, not a country. :p
Altho your right, lets just say that the US's economy would be a HELL of a lot harder to bring down. :D

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 04:10 PM
"Fighting for peace is like f**king for virginity"

Well not exactly, here let me explain....

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 04:12 PM

I think that refers to "every body IN the world that gives a crap about baseball", not the entire world. Although that whole baseball/america thing.... all steriotypes, most boring sport in the world IMO... lol

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Not ww2 but if you want some pictures from the Vietnam War.... http://www.vietnampix.com/faces.htm

Prrtty interesting to look through them reading the captions...

crisis
05-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Maybe its because were huge, have 300,000,000 people, excellent"accesability", and a GDP per capita higher than any other country in the world? That could inspire my imagination....
China has more people. Of course an argument can be made that there are those envious of your wealth. Its hard to be sure whether the Muslim extremists hate America because they envy what you have (which would make their radical Muslim claims hypocritical) or because they resent your influence all over the world. There are plenty of people ambvalent to what you have , in many cases because they live in similarly prosperous Western countries, who disagree with much of the recent US policies.

Matra et Alpine
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Heh, i know.
Personal Politics: Luxembourg is a town, not a country. :p
Altho your right, lets just say that the US's economy would be a HELL of a lot harder to bring down. :D
Very hard to see any single G8 nations economy "brougjht down" in todays multi-national world.

And Luxembourg is a city AND a country. ( I see "personal" opionion affecting American truth again ?? :) ) Even the CIA says it's a country and we cant' argue with their intelligence can we :) http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html
:D

clutch-monkey
05-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Why is the US a high profile target?
i was going to blame the media :)

PsychoChimp22
05-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Very hard to see any single G8 nations economy "brougjht down" in todays multi-national world.

And Luxembourg is a city AND a country. ( I see "personal" opionion affecting American truth again ?? :) ) Even the CIA says it's a country and we cant' argue with their intelligence can we :) http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html
:D

Do I seem like the type of guy that goes along with everything the CIA says??? :p

Ofcourse im aware that it truely IS a country, but if i started a country on an island somewhere with 3 of my friends (lets say the four of us were FILTHY rich) and our "country" had a GDP per capita (dont know how, but its becides the point) of about $100,000... Now thats obviously WAY over exagerated but in theroy its absolutly true. 300,000,000 people is a lot more people than luxembourg's 500,000.

Matra et Alpine
05-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Do I seem like the type of guy that goes along with everything the CIA says??? :p

Ofcourse im aware that it truely IS a country, but if i started a country on an island somewhere with 3 of my friends (lets say the four of us were FILTHY rich) and our "country" had a GDP per capita (dont know how, but its becides the point) of about $100,000... Now thats obviously WAY over exagerated but in theroy its absolutly true. 300,000,000 people is a lot more people than luxembourg's 500,000.
You've confused GDP and 'rich'
See http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=56

The 3 of you would have to be doing "somethign" to be earning $300k per annum. It's got little to do with being "rich" - that's just money in the bank :)
Some countries are very careful about seperating GDP into it's different flavours so as not to lose sight of "production" which is the only real money creator.

PininfarinaPIMP
06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Well thats horseshit, plenty military yahoos and weekend warriors go on killing civilians and the ****ing government believes what they say, just like the some of the cops here in Denver. And if you remember the NVA and VC never bombed the US, just like Cuba never, or Iraq for that matter. America just thought that they were "threats" and launched a "preemptive strike", thats a load of bullshit. If you remember the Cold War it was " Shit the Russians are packing, shit were going to war" as soon as a the Iron Curtain

PininfarinaPIMP
06-02-2005, 06:48 PM
came down they found out Russia was flying its planes with ****ing helium balloons. All this country does is instill a sense of fear into the public so theyll believe anything. Problem is the majority of the country thinks they are the only country out there and they are the best...