PDA

View Full Version : Bad F3000 crash

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2005, 03:41 AM
I remember this, it nearly ended McNish's career.
F3000 first race at Donnington in 1990.
Some info on it at http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-mcnall.html
"In the first race of the year McNish tangled with Emanuele Naspetti and had a huge accident, a spectator being killed by the engine which was torn off his car. He recovered from that blow and came back to win two races and finished fourth in the series."

It's popped up on http://www.big-boys.com/articles/bigf1crash.html

BUT a word of warning. A spectator was sadly killed in this incident and the video there includes that part. I have attached an edited version which tries to at least not be quite so graphic. The purpose for me is to see McNish's crash and NOT to be so ghoulish over the sad loss of a motorsport specator.

your choice

dul
06-01-2005, 04:03 AM
That looks pretty crazy.
Is it the engine that's flying in the end :eek:

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Thst looks pretty crazy.
Is it the engine that's flying in the end :eek:
Yes, sadly it's the engine that hits one of the spectators, crushing him. I'd removed the point of impact for "decency".

dul
06-01-2005, 04:06 AM
auch :(

drakkie
06-01-2005, 07:18 AM
omg :eek: thats awful. fences around the track would have saved some lives there... :o

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2005, 07:55 AM
omg :eek: thats awful. fences around the track would have saved some lives there... :o
how high and round ALL the track ?
the point is that motor racing IS dangerous and NOBODY could have expected a car to go off there, so why put up high fence ?
We can't remove ALL risk from our lives !!!!

drakkie
06-01-2005, 09:52 AM
We can't remove ALL risk from our lives !!!!

but we CAN try to minimize it as much as possible

UCR
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Did the guy die instantly?

I feel sorry for Both the marshall's famly, and McNish for having to live with that.

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
but we CAN try to minimize it as much as possible
If you look at THIS case then it's clear that was already done.

it was on a straight. It had "armco".

Explin WHY you would put further protection there ? Why not 10 feet later or before the point you've chosen ?

See it gets hard - having marshalled on international motorsport event making it "reasonably" safe is the best you can do.

dydzi
06-01-2005, 10:02 AM

I feel sorry for Both the marshall's famly, and McNish for having to live with that.

well, he couldn't do much about it, how could he prevented it from happening? but still it's probably hard to live with it.

UCR
06-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I didnt mention anything about him preventing it.

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2005, 10:19 AM

it wasnt' a marshal, it was a spectator.

Yes, we all feel sorry at the loss of life as it DID end up a bti of a freak accident. IF the engine had stayed connected or had broken off eralier or ( lots of what-ofs ).

in many ways these are the easier ones to live with as no one coudl have done anything that coudl have prevented it.

UCR
06-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I better watch myself then ey.

Nearly flipped at weekend already.

dydzi
06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I didnt mention anything about him preventing it.

i was only trying to defend the driver ;)

UCR
06-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Hes not here. :D