PDA

View Full Version : UCP's most controversial thread.

Egg Nog
01-20-2004, 09:13 PM
I thought maybe I'd make these boards a little more exciting by posting a little bit of controversy. Enjoy the four following points:

1. In almost every case, SUVs are hopelessly wasteful, and the people who drive them are inconsiderate morons.

2. Automatics are for lathargic slobs who can't drive properly.

3. Fanboys: The Nissan Skyline is not the greatest car ever. Get over it.

4. In general, both Mercedes and BMW are overrated.

DiabloGTR
01-20-2004, 09:43 PM
1. In almost every case, SUVs are hopelessly wasteful, and the people who drive them are inconsiderate morons.

SUVs are useful, but I can understand why you dislike them. People still buy SUVs even when they don't need them, but you can make the same arguement about high performance cars. :p

Automatic transmissions are for convenience. I don't know why many people don't understand the fact that alot of people use cars just to get around, not for pleasure driving.

True, damn ricers.

No, the credit they get is well deserved. Companies like Ferrari are overrated. ;)

Pliz
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
3. Fanboys: The Nissan Skyline is not the greatest car ever. Get over it. do you know what you said??????? IT ISNT THE GREATEST CAR EVER PRODUCED.............ITS A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fpv_gtho
01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
you sure do know how to stir people up Egg Nog, but i agree with what your saying, except maybe for the auto, i'd at least want a sequential function

crisis
01-21-2004, 12:24 AM
I thought maybe I'd make these boards a little more exciting by posting a little bit of controversy. Enjoy the four following points:.

1. In almost every case, SUVs are hopelessly wasteful, and the people who drive them are inconsiderate morons..
Im going to waste whatever Im supposed to be wasting this weekend with a whole heap of other inconsiderate morons down the South East coast of South Australia. Taking my camper trailer and Engle car fridge with all the other camping eqpt. Going driving over the beaches and sand dunes ( all prescribed driving areas) and camping in the bush away from other holiday makers. It gets quite boggy on the beach and I wonder what you would suggest I take on my next trip so that I dont waste so much of whatever it is Im wasting.

2. Automatics are for lathargic slobs who can't drive properly..And sales reps who dont want to risk rsi. Maybe have a place for people who view driving as a way to get to a destination and not a hobby. My cars ar both manuals however.

3. Fanboys: The Nissan Skyline is not the greatest car ever. Get over it.QED

4. In general, both Mercedes and BMW are overrated.In general.

Well done Egg Nog, let the battle begin.

Egg Nog
01-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Im going to waste whatever Im supposed to be wasting this weekend with a whole heap of other inconsiderate morons down the South East coast of South Australia. Taking my camper trailer and Engle car fridge with all the other camping eqpt. Going driving over the beaches and sand dunes ( all prescribed driving areas) and camping in the bush away from other holiday makers. It gets quite boggy on the beach and I wonder what you would suggest I take on my next trip so that I dont waste so much of whatever it is Im wasting.

Well, I'm glad to hear that you're actually using them for off-road use. In this case they are not a waste, and you fit snugly into the category of "the rest". As you probably noticed, I said "in almost every case" :)

Damn it, I just made the thread less controversial. Wait a second...
Every goddamn car except the Elise sucks!...WITHOUT EXCEPTION!.

Bwahahaha! :D Much better! :D ;) :p

Homem de Gelo
01-21-2004, 06:47 AM
The Viper is a bathtub with a big engine, just like all Mercedes.

frakenstein5spd
01-21-2004, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Egg Nog]Damn it, I just made the thread less controversial. Wait a second...

Without exception, you are correct. The Elise is the best car every produced. The US version with the 190hp Toyota engine and 6spd will be something to behold.
Now, if only I had 50k in loose change lying around...

Homem de Gelo
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Well, I'm glad to hear that you're actually using them for off-road use. In this case they are not a waste, and you fit snugly into the category of "the rest". As you probably noticed, I said "in almost every case" :)

Damn it, I just made the thread less controversial. Wait a second...

Bwahahaha! :D Much better! :D ;) :p

The Elise sucks because it comes in yellow. :p

Hell_Unleashed
01-21-2004, 12:35 PM

I like SUV's - big and powerful... however, here in Qatar... ppl who drive Toyota LCs and Nissan Patrols aren't morons...calling them morons is an understatement.

Automatics are useful... but when I see ppl my age 'crusing' around in automatic's it makes me sick... gives me the impression they dont know how to drive. Plus I prefer manual.

The Skyline is a nice car.... I have total respect for it... however, no its not the greatest car ever.

I think so... and Ferrari. Specially Mercedes... a friend of mine has an E320... every week, its glass on the rear right door just falls! how gay? then it has to be dragged to the mechanic to be fixed... only for this process to repeat... in about a week.

baddabang
01-21-2004, 01:47 PM
suvs arnt usless and im not a moron i have a suv and the 4wd has been put to good use :D

crisis
01-21-2004, 05:13 PM
The Elise is the domain of the wannabe racerboy. If you think you are good enough to drive this overcompromised go cart to its extremes, why not try cart racing? Better still a Caterham in a sports car race series.

Matra et Alpine
01-21-2004, 05:55 PM
The Elise is the domain of the wannabe racerboy. If you think you are good enough to drive this overcompromised go cart to its extremes, why not try cart racing? Better still a Caterham in a sports car race series.
Lotus Exige - an Elise race car :)
One is being raced in the British RALLY CROSS series - yep rallycross, go figure :)
Why do you say 'compromised go kart' ? "K" :)
Elise stomps all over F40s and Lambos at my local track.
In fact the Lambo driver has gone off twice making the mistake of trying to keep up.
I let them have the braking zone, I get them on the exit. They are seriouslly FUN, and little is compromised.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-21-2004, 05:56 PM
the elise sucks and the skyline kicks it's ass. SUVs rule the world, especially the ones with automatic transmissions, like the X5 and G-wagon:p

Matra et Alpine
01-21-2004, 06:01 PM
the elise sucks and the skyline kicks it's ass. SUVs rule the world, especially the ones with automatic transmissions, like the X5 and G-wagon:p
I almost took you seriously until you babbled the second sentence of pure nonsense :)
kicks ass at what ?
power/weight ? You have to do some serious mods to get a Skyline to match it. Hell you could by 2 Elises for what I've seen guys spend on R34s :)
Watch them take a roundabout and the difference is clear.
The Skyline is OK at one direction change but is just to big and heavy to handle a twisty.
Great at drags though and I'd love one for the fun of 1000bhp, 4wd on a race track.

fpv_gtho
01-21-2004, 07:00 PM
skylines and elise's are completely different cars. i think maybe 1% of skyline owners modify them sensibly and use them on road rallies and track events etc such as targa tasmania. if i had the choice of either car i'd probably take the elise as it would me more of a thrill to drive, more of an adrenaline rush

Misho
01-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I thought maybe I'd make these boards a little more exciting by posting a little bit of controversy. Enjoy the four following points:

1) as most users raced to point out, some people actually buy SUVs to go off-roading. using them coz they are big, strong, cool or whatever is stupid.

2) no. automatic transmissions are amazing. just as manuals are. each is used for a different purpose. automatics are great.

3) there is nothing such as greates car ever. there are great cars that came by since the car industry started, the skyline could be considered and argued by some to be among those great cars. i have never driven, sat or even seen one.

4) no. Mercedes and BMW built amazing cars. its the other good companies that are underrated, such as Acura, Infinity, and Lexus. they have equally great cars.

the elise is good. :)

Egg Nog
01-21-2004, 07:32 PM
I love a little controversy :) I'm not even going to bother with rebuttals, because some people failed to read where I said "in general" and "in almost every case" ;). Anyway, I mean eveything that I said here to a much lesser extent than I expressed. If I didn't, it wouldn't be so controversial, would it? ;)

Anyway, have fun guys. This thread took off pretty quickly :)

Batmobile_Turbo
01-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
the elise sucks and the skyline kicks it's ass. SUVs rule the world, especially the ones with automatic transmissions, like the X5 and G-wagon

I almost took you seriously until you babbled the second sentence of pure nonsense
kicks ass at what ?
power/weight ? You have to do some serious mods to get a Skyline to match it. Hell you could by 2 Elises for what I've seen guys spend on R34s
Watch them take a roundabout and the difference is clear.
The Skyline is OK at one direction change but is just to big and heavy to handle a twisty.
Great at drags though and I'd love one for the fun of 1000bhp, 4wd on a race track.

ok, i hope you didn't take me seriously Matra et Alpine, i was trying to contradict all the things Egg Nog said in a humerous manner.

So for being serious:

1. SUVs are not a bad thing, it's the crazy women drivers who think they are invinsable when they drive them, and the rich idiot guys who put chrome wheels on them that give them a bad reputation. however SUV crossover are good because they are made for the urban landscape, with road absorbing suspensions and 4WD for traction on icy roads. They are big and good for hauling groceries, and comfortable, they are pretty much just luxury vehicles for familys.

2. automatic transimissions are for regular people, who aren't good at shifting gears, they aren't racing. also, auto trannys are good for rallying, drivers can keep their mind on the road, rocks, snow or gravel without having to further worry about the complication of shifting.

3.Skylines are good, they are one of the best japanse cars of all time and they have a rich heratige.

4. Mercedes-Benz was the first car company, and is the worlds biggest manufacturer, with over 100 years of history and developement, nuff sed.
BMW also has a rich heratige, although not as rich as Mercedes-Benz. BMW used to make airplane engines, and is still making quality cars, although currently devoid of good looks via Chris bangle, see my signature.

and lastly, the elise. The Elise is one of my favorite cars although i like the Esprit better. I think the Elise is one of the only true sports cars left, are you happy now Egg Nog? :)

Egg Nog
01-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Batmobile: I'm not trying to appease anyone, or trying to get anyone to appease me :) As I said, "Anyway, I mean eveything that I said here to a much lesser extent than I expressed. If I didn't, it wouldn't be so controversial, would it? ;)" Anyway, I really appreciate your reply. +1 Rep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: Everything I express right now is hyperbole of what my actual views are. If I was being more conservative, I wouldn't stir up as much conversation :)

1. In their use as an urban vehicle, SUVs are hopelessly wasteful. They block the view of everyone else, and endanger them too. Their sheer size is what makes their usual application so useless. Unless you're going off-road, there are vehicles that are capable of doing the same tasks in a better way. For their use on the road, 4WD/AWD and the high-rise suspension systems are useless. Hats off to the people who put SUVs to their intended use, but the urbanites fail. :p

2. I love a little controversy. :) Anyway, people pay a price to be lazy. That is, generally at least $1000 more to start with, approx. -10% efficiency compared to standard, less control, and fewer benefits. As far as I've heard, the automatic plague ( :D ) is limited mostly to North America. In Europe, Africa, and definately in South America, manuals still seem to be far more popular.

3. Skylines are a great car, and have a rich heritage. I agree. Now, what were you trying to rebut? ;)

4. Both BMW and Mercedes have an astonishing history, and they have both pioneered loads of automotive technology. (Just a side note though, Mercedes is not the world's largest manufacturer.) Maybe I should have been more specific. The current model ranges of these two companies are overrated. *Keep in mind that overrated doesn't neccesarily imply negativety.* Both of these companies are great, and that's the bottom line.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About the Elise, I was totally joking. It's a great car, but it's by no means a god among others. It happens to be one of my favorite cars. Even if nobody else likes it, that's fine. I don't understand why you wouldn't, but hey, that's your call ;)

crisis
01-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I would like to drive an Elise but they really are impractical. On the track I have no issue but try a Caterham, more compromised but not so much in both ways. Im just being antagonistic with my "wannabe" comment as this is the sites "most controversial thread" n all. In any case these are my opinions. 4 cylinder British cars dont appeal to me so thats probably half the problem. That an Elise beats a Ferrari around a track is irrelevent unless you bought the Ferrari thinking its the world best race car. A Ferrari has other vitrues that ore not as overtly pragmatic as the Elise, which I suppose is one of its strong points. I know I'll never win any friends on this site by bagging the Elise but thats the way it gos.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-21-2004, 11:59 PM
here's a few conversation points of my reckoning (also hyperboles):
1. most of the new porsches are ugly, what with their screwy headlights and fat unshaply fenders
2.Chris Bangle is a dumbass
3.tuning civics is stupid
4.the Ford Taurus is crap

i hope that everyone know what hyperbole means ;)

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 12:50 AM
1. In their use as an urban vehicle, SUVs are hopelessly wasteful. They block the view of everyone else, and endanger them too. Their sheer size is what makes their usual application so useless. Unless you're going off-road, there are vehicles that are capable of doing the same tasks in a better way. For their use on the road, 4WD/AWD and the high-rise suspension systems are useless. Hats off to the people who put SUVs to their intended use, but the urbanites fail. :p

2. I love a little controversy. :) Anyway, people pay a price to be lazy. That is, generally at least $1000 more to start with, approx. -10% efficiency compared to standard, less control, and fewer benefits. As far as I've heard, the automatic plague ( :D ) is limited mostly to North America. In Europe, Africa, and definately in South America, manuals still seem to be far more popular.

you have no idea how much it pisses my mum off, when she's waiting to turn left onto a main road and a bloody 4WD drives up next to her. she usually tries and creep forward a couple of inches or so but usually its not much, shes terrified about the possibility of someone clipping the front end of he camry and the whole situation usually ends with her yelling out "F*^#in 4WD!!"

i think australia would be getting closer to joining yout list there Egg Nog. most cars here if theyre not marketted as luxury, theyre marketted as sporty, unless its sub $15K which belongs to the likes of daihatsu charades and kia's and hyundai's so no matter how theyre marketted its not going to imporve their image here. take the falcon range for instance, so i know what im talking about. the base model "XT" is marketted as sporty, so it gets a standard manual transmission and optional sequential auto and has an optional 5.4L V8. the 2nd grade "Futura" is marketted as luxury so its only available with the straight six and auto. the 3rd level "Fairmont" is luxury again and comes with the same drivetrain. the 4th level "Fairmont Ghia" is marketted as sports luxury so it has the optional V8 but no manual transmission. then theres the XR range and FPV range which are all sports and based on different models

Matra et Alpine
01-22-2004, 07:03 AM
ok, i hope you didn't take me seriously Matra et Alpine, i was trying to contradict all the things Egg Nog said in a humerous manner.

Sorry, batmobile, my mind is in 'serious' mode contemplating my engine. Missed the humour :)

Likewise...for being serious:

1. SUVs are not a bad thing, some are used for their purpose. I've an Espace 4x4 for the kids horses ( towing - the rear seats aren't THAT big :)

2. One of the fastest cars at out local 'drag' track is a Nissan 300ZX AUTO. Lots of people get really pissed off when Colin blasts them. Course he's on his third gearbox !! No rally car uses automatic transmission. They do use sequential and paddle selection. When I'm in the US, I almost always take an auto - it matches the roads :)

3.Skylines are good - AGREED.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-22-2004, 09:43 AM
you have no idea how much it pisses my mum off, when she's waiting to turn left onto a main road and a bloody 4WD drives up next to her. she usually tries and creep forward a couple of inches or so but usually its not much, shes terrified about the possibility of someone clipping the front end of he camry and the whole situation usually ends with her yelling out "F*^#in 4WD!!"

ya, there's these big dumbasses with huge trucks and SUVs who go up right to the curb and block the veiw of car drivers, can't they see enough from their high up point of veiw, and accelerate for the turn good enough with their deisel V16s?

crisis
01-22-2004, 05:33 PM

As a valiant defender ( as opposed to a Valiant defender or a valiant Defender ) of 4x4s I think it is worth pointing out that you are talking about drivers, not cars here. The same idiot would be capable of taking up all of tha road at an intersection so that cars wishing to turn both left and right would be blocked until that driver moved on. Ignorance is not attributed to the car but the driver. A 4x4 in the hands of one of these people is just more of an obstacle.

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 06:41 PM
well its what happens when you stick a suburbanite in a 4WD. im sure someone like yourself who uses a 4WD for its original intended purpose might be different

DiabloGTR
01-23-2004, 09:45 PM
ya, there's these big dumbasses with huge trucks and SUVs who go up right to the curb and block the veiw of car drivers, can't they see enough from their high up point of veiw, and accelerate for the turn good enough with their deisel V16s?

I also hate it when people raise the suspensions of SUVs and Trucks, their vision from the SUV or Truck gets even worse with raised suspensions.
SUVs and Trucks are a huge problem in the American south. Stupid ****ing rednecks with pea sized brains think driving a truck is 'cool', majority of these idiots don't even use the damn things for thier purpose.
I'll add some more controversy to this topic by saying that the majority of bad drivers are women, women buying these huge gay Explorers and Excursions to feel 'safe' and them doing make up during red lights boils my blood. I'm not saying all women are bad drivers, but most are.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-24-2004, 12:48 PM
I also hate it when people raise the suspensions of SUVs and Trucks, their vision from the SUV or Truck gets even worse with raised suspensions.
SUVs and Trucks are a huge problem in the American south. Stupid ****ing rednecks with pea sized brains think driving a truck is 'cool', majority of these idiots don't even use the damn things for thier purpose.
I'll add some more controversy to this topic by saying that the majority of bad drivers are women, women buying these huge gay Explorers and Excursions to feel 'safe' and them doing make up during red lights boils my blood. I'm not saying all women are bad drivers, but most are.
yep, my dad gets really pissed when these women drivers pull out in front of him at the last second because they think that if there's a collision they will be indestructable because SUVs and minivans are 'safe'.

crisis
01-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh oh, thats me again, my Landcruiser has a 2" lift kit and HD shockers. Its all about driving it within its limitations. Its not the cars which are at fault but the pinheads in them. Its just that a dickhead in a 3 tonne truck is more dangerous to others than in a Hyundia anything.

crisis
01-26-2004, 04:29 PM
their vision from the SUV or Truck gets even worse with raised suspensions.
Actually the view from up there is way better. You can see what is happening in the traffic ahead. You have to be paying attention of course to make it any use.

SPHFerrari
01-29-2004, 07:12 PM

I couldn't disagree more. SUVs are great. Even if you dont use them for offroading they are excellent cars. How else are u supposed to carry around 8 poeple, like in my suburban, without an SUV. I dont care if they are wastefull. You might say that a minivan holds the same #, as some have told me, but then i'd have to kill you because, as i saw on a great bumper stcker, "minivans are tangible evidence of evil", and they SUCK