PDA

View Full Version : 911 GT3 Model?

LTT
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
I'm looking for a model of the 911 GT3 (the newest, non-997 model). All I can find is the older style kit by tamiya, which I suppose I could do if I have no other option. I'd also be interested in a Gallardo model. However time is of the essence because I'm currently working on an Enzo. I've run dry on my semi-gloss black and I must order some in as my area has no modeling shops. I kind of want to order a kit and a couple of other colors to make the shipping worth while.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

bk4uyeah
06-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Thats quite the budget you're working with

LTT
06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm talking about 1/24th scale plastic models, but you knew that right? :)

Dino Scuderia
06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm looking for a model of the 911 GT3 (the newest, non-997 model). All I can find is the older style kit by tamiya, which I suppose I could do if I have no other option. I'd also be interested in a Gallardo model. However time is of the essence because I'm currently working on an Enzo. I've run dry on my semi-gloss black and I must order some in as my area has no modeling shops. I kind of want to order a kit and a couple of other colors to make the shipping worth while.

That's the only GT3 kit in 1/24 scale so far, and Fujimi makes the Gallardo and Murcie kit in 1/24.

LTT
06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks Dino, I'll look into that Gallardo kit.

Dino Scuderia
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks Dino, I'll look into that Gallardo kit.

No problem. So you going to post some of your finished projects on here?
:)

man 430gt
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
no............................... :o :o J/K Make sure you post some pics soon!

henk4
06-08-2005, 01:22 PM

So you are looking for a 996 GT-3?
I'll post a pic tomorrow

LTT
06-08-2005, 02:26 PM
So you are looking for a 996 GT-3?
I'll post a pic tomorrow

I'm looking for this model GT3 (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=pic.php&imagenum=1&carnum=1557)

But all that I can find in a kit is this model (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=24229)

But the Gallardo intrigues me, so I'm going to check if the shop I deal with can get it for me.

LTT
06-08-2005, 02:29 PM
No problem. So you going to post some of your finished projects on here?
:)

Yes Dino, I'll post up my enzo when it's complete. I have a skyline that is fairly well done also. But I've only recently gotten back into modeling. I did it when I was younger and the kits I did back then were of poor quality, and I wasn't as good as I am now skill wise. You will see some pics though :)

Dino Scuderia
06-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm looking for this model GT3 (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=pic.php&imagenum=1&carnum=1557)

But all that I can find in a kit is this model (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=24229)

But the Gallardo intrigues me, so I'm going to check if the shop I deal with can get it for me.

Yeah, you'd have to make those update modifications yourself.

bk4uyeah
06-08-2005, 06:03 PM

I was tired, I chose to skip over certian words, such as "model", but I got it now

my porsche
06-08-2005, 06:54 PM

ahh you want the facelifted gt3, they put the lights from the turbo models across the 911 range as well as enlarging the engine

it looks so much better :D

LTT
06-08-2005, 08:28 PM
ahh you want the facelifted gt3, they put the lights from the turbo models across the 911 range as well as enlarging the engine

it looks so much better :D

Definately a big improvment. If I was in the market for a real Porsche, the GT3 would be my choice, hands down. This is assuming the CGT is out of range :D

my porsche
06-08-2005, 08:44 PM
no i would spent the extra money on the gt3 rs, using the extra to pay for it to be legalised :cool:

Egg Nog
06-08-2005, 09:06 PM
no i would spent the extra money on the gt3 rs, using the extra to pay for it to be legalised :cool:

Take a peek at which forum this is in :)

my porsche
06-08-2005, 09:39 PM
he said if he was buying a porsche for real also :)

henk4
06-08-2005, 11:33 PM

OK, then no need for me to post it. I made the same model, in the same colour.

LTT
06-09-2005, 04:38 AM
OK, then no need for me to post it. I made the same model, in the same colour.

How was the kit henk? From that picture on the tamiya website it looks like the fronts is a little messed up, but it could be just the angle the picture was taken at.

Dino Scuderia
06-09-2005, 05:06 AM
The GT3 kit is perfect as most Tamiya kits are, proportion wise.

henk4
06-09-2005, 05:08 AM
How was the kit henk? From that picture on the tamiya website it looks like the fronts is a little messed up, but it could be just the angle the picture was taken at.

Here are some pics, the difficulty indeed is in the front section where you have to glue the bumper area to the main body before spraying and at the same leave the impression that the front part can be opened. The detail pic shows that I made a mediocre job of it. The rest of the kit is plain sailing, no problems but nothing spectecular.

LTT
06-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the pictures henk. I'm going to call the shop I deal with after work today and I'll check if they have the Fujimi Gallardo in stock, if not it's looking like I'll be going with the GT3. But if I could trouble you or Dino once more, I was wondering if either of you would have a picture of the Tamiya 911 (993) GT2 street version. I'm going back and forth between that and the GT3 as my second choice.

Once I get that ordered (along with my paint), I'll get back into the Enzo and finish it up, then give you guys a peek. Thanks for all the help, it is appriciated.

henk4
06-09-2005, 07:10 AM
I am not sure whether there is actually a street version Tamiya model of the 993. There are two GT2, one of whih I have added here, and which are bit more rewarding to build giving the nice decals

Dino Scuderia
06-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the pictures henk. I'm going to call the shop I deal with after work today and I'll check if they have the Fujimi Gallardo in stock, if not it's looking like I'll be going with the GT3. But if I could trouble you or Dino once more, I was wondering if either of you would have a picture of the Tamiya 911 (993) GT2 street version. I'm going back and forth between that and the GT3 as my second choice.

Once I get that ordered (along with my paint), I'll get back into the Enzo and finish it up, then give you guys a peek. Thanks for all the help, it is appriciated.

The street version kit of the GT2 that henk posted is identical except it has street tires.

LTT
06-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Ok great, thanks for the pic Henk, and the info Dino. My second choice will be that 911 GT2 race version, then i'll decide later if I wanted to make it street or race. I'll call after work and then I'll let you guys know what I wind up getting. Thanks alot!

LTT
06-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Well I ordered, and wound up taking a total departure from what was originally planned. I wound up going with the Tamiya 1:24 Mercedes CLK-GTR. I'm happy with the choice, as I haven't built an actual race car yet.

henk4
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Well I ordered, and wound up taking a total departure from what was originally planned. I wound up going with the Tamiya 1:24 Mercedes CLK-GTR. I'm happy with the choice, as I haven't built an actual race car yet.
Which version did you get? It is a very nice kit
i'll post pictures of all versions I built, including the transparent one

henk4
06-10-2005, 01:17 AM
as promised :)

LTT
06-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Geez what kit don't you have henk :p .

The one I ordered is the one on the upper-left in your picture. I'm excted about it for sure. Oh, and I like that sign by the way :)

henk4
06-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Geez what kit don't you have henk :p .

The one I ordered is the one on the upper-left in your picture. I'm excted about it for sure. Oh, and I like that sign by the way :)

the sign provides the answer to your first question :)

LTT
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh, I have a question for either Henk or Dino, whoever gets it first. After laying paint down and letting it dry, should i spray the clear then use rubbing compound, or use compound on the paint itself then clearcoat it after polishing?

Dino Scuderia
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh, I have a question for either Henk or Dino, whoever gets it first. After laying paint down and letting it dry, should i spray the clear then use rubbing compound, or use compound on the paint itself then clearcoat it after polishing?

If your color coat needs some smoothing before the clear, don't use compound, use some 600 or 800 grit sandpaper. Use the compound on the clear after it's plenty dry. Always do any kind of polishing after your last coats are on, some compounds contain silicone which you cannot paint over successfully.

LTT
06-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok, great. I'm still not a perfect painter but my finishes are getting progressivly better.

Dino Scuderia
06-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Ok, great. I'm still not a perfect painter but my finishes are getting progressivly better.

Well, as I always say, it's not so much how good you can put it on but what you can do with it after it's on...as in polishing(leveling).

henk4
06-10-2005, 11:57 PM
A bit of heretic theory here. I found that spraying directly on a smooth body will give better results than using a primer first, which needs to be sanded again and increases the chances for "orange peel" surfaces. This works especially well when the colour of the original plastic is already very close to the desired one.
As far as clear coat is concerned I only put it on when there is a large area of decals, just to seal them off. As this mostly concerns racing cars, there is no need to to come up with a totally glossy/smooth body, so not too much rubbing required. I am not sure whether I understood what Dino said about sanding and then putting clear coat over it, I never tried that and seeing the results after sanding I doubt whether a clear coat will bring back the glossy shine of the original paint. May be I should try though.

Dino Scuderia
06-11-2005, 04:31 AM
A bit of heretic theory here. I found that spraying directly on a smooth body will give better results than using a primer first, which needs to be sanded again and increases the chances for "orange peel" surfaces. This works especially well when the colour of the original plastic is already very close to the desired one.
As far as clear coat is concerned I only put it on when there is a large area of decals, just to seal them off. As this mostly concerns racing cars, there is no need to to come up with a totally glossy/smooth body, so not too much rubbing required. I am not sure whether I understood what Dino said about sanding and then putting clear coat over it, I never tried that and seeing the results after sanding I doubt whether a clear coat will bring back the glossy shine of the original paint. May be I should try though.

No, you don't always have to prime, but try this....spray Tamiya's TS8 Red straight onto a body molded in black and see what you get. What you'll get is dark red instead of the intended bright red because that particular paint is semi transparent therefore needs to be sprayed over red or white plastic or white primer so it ends up the proper color.

Primer also needs to be used if there is any major body work done other modifications, nd depending on what paint you use, you can't spray automotive lacquers which many modelers use straight onto plastic because it will etch into it.

You just can't make a broad brush statement about the use of primer, it may confuse people new to modeling and primer has nothing whatsoever to do with orange peel. You can get a smooth finish if you sand the primer with 600 grit before you put on the color coats, this is how real cars are painted. Sanding the color coat before clear coating will also result in a smoother clear coat finish, it's called color sanding and/or wet sanding.

I agree with you that if you are building a race car that real ones don't have a super slick finish....but most modelers want their models to look nice and shiney whether the real ones are or not.

Clear coating over decals can result in ruining them if you don't spray a couple of very light coats first just to be safe.

henk4
06-11-2005, 07:27 AM
No, you don't always have to prime, but try this....spray Tamiya's TS8 Red straight onto a body molded in black and see what you get. What you'll get is dark red instead of the intended bright red because that particular paint is semi transparent therefore needs to be sprayed over red or white plastic or white primer so it ends up the proper color.

Primer also needs to be used if there is any major body work done other modifications, nd depending on what paint you use, you can't spray automotive lacquers which many modelers use straight onto plastic because it will etch into it.

You just can't make a broad brush statement about the use of primer, it may confuse people new to modeling and primer has nothing whatsoever to do with orange peel. You can get a smooth finish if you sand the primer with 600 grit before you put on the color coats, this is how real cars are painted. Sanding the color coat before clear coating will also result in a smoother clear coat finish, it's called color sanding and/or wet sanding.

I agree with you that if you are building a race car that real ones don't have a super slick finish....but most modelers want their models to look nice and shiney whether the real ones are or not.

Clear coating over decals can result in ruining them if you don't spray a couple of very light coats first just to be safe.

I said I was going to be heretic, and obviously I struck on a true believer in the primer :D

Yes I will not put TS8 over a black body, but it works excellent on a red one. My Modena is proof of that and it still has not been eaten into. I just found it remarkable how smooth the paint turned out after a couple of thin layers and without any primer. Rubbing was not required at all.
And you are right about the clear coat (cote is obviously not the correct spelling) but that is another subject.

Dino Scuderia
06-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I said I was going to be heretic, and obviously I struck on a true believer in the primer :D

Yes I will not put TS8 over a black body, but it works excellent on a red one. My Modena is proof of that and it still has not been eaten into. I just found it remarkable how smooth the paint turned out after a couple of thin layers and without any primer. Rubbing was not required at all.
And you are right about the clear coat (cote is obviously not the correct spelling) but that is another subject.

Tamiya paint won't eat into plastic because it is a special synthetic lacquer, automotive lacquers are not, they are much hotter. Yes, Tamiya paint will give a very smooth finish directly on smooth plastic, but you can't always do that.