PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Apple lover - what now ???

Matra et Alpine
06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
For all those who buy expensive Apple hardware because seemingly it's better than Intel, more powerful etc etc ....

WHAT are you going to do now ?

How many "Apple-fanboys" will now say it was not about the hardware and it's the OS :)

This is likely the death throws of Apple :(
Without the hardware differntiator then OS-X just becomes another OS to pick from and Linux is cheaper, more fficient adn Windows is more "capable".

DAMN :(

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

Vindesh17
06-09-2005, 02:57 PM
the only thing I bought and probably would only buy from apple is the iPod.

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-09-2005, 02:59 PM
the only thing I bought and probably would only buy from apple is the iPod.
same here, computers are crap from my experiences :)

QuattroMan
06-09-2005, 03:02 PM
For all those who buy expensive Apple hardware because seemingly it's better than Intel, more powerful etc etc ....

WHAT are you going to do now ?

How many "Apple-fanboys" will now say it was not about the hardware and it's the OS :)

This is likely the death throws of Apple :(
Without the hardware differntiator then OS-X just becomes another OS to pick from and Linux is cheaper, more fficient adn Windows is more "capable".

DAMN :(

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

Matra the only apple I like it grows on trees....LOL. I don't know why, but I never could get in to Apple computers..and for dose who owns one, good luck.!.

spi-ti-tout
06-09-2005, 03:27 PM
(Ducks from incoming Apple from taz_rocks_miami :))

The red one ;)

johnnynumfiv
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
4.33ghz imac, I wouldn't mind it at all(steve was using one in the reveal video). Since they are going to make this gradual, having the lower models switch first, I think i'll have time to get an ibm G5.

shr0olvl
06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Custom computers all the way. :)

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-09-2005, 03:50 PM
i was abou to say that :)

gregvl52
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Just because it's an intel doesn't mean it's identical to the chips used in PCs; Apple has had several different chip suppliers over the years, most recently Motorola and IBM. I believe that the last time I heard rumors about this, they did predict it would still be a RISC chip, rather than a 486/Pentium, although Mac OS X has been running on 486-based chips for years now internally.

I, personally, like my Powerbook for its total virus protection. :)

Matra et Alpine
06-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Yep, it's like standing on Everest with a life-jacket on :)

gregvl52
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Yep, it's like standing on Everest with a life-jacket on :)

It's true that viruses aren't such a big deal now, in the public imagination, but a few years ago (when I bought it) things were different, and pre-XP windows wasn't very pretty.

Additionally, I watched Jobs' keynote speech, and it seems this DOES relate to Pentium processors specifically, something that was not covered in the press release.

250 GTO
06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
I only like the ipods

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Just because it's an intel doesn't mean it's identical to the chips used in PCs; Apple has had several different chip suppliers over the years, most recently Motorola and IBM. I believe that the last time I heard rumors about this, they did predict it would still be a RISC chip, rather than a 486/Pentium, although Mac OS X has been running on 486-based chips for years now internally.

kinda like Mercedes and their F1 counterparts, or is that BMW :p

taz_rocks_miami
06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I didn't buy my Mac becuase it used an IBM chip as opposed to Intel. I bought it becuase Macs have a reputation for quality, stability, design and great OSs. IBM invented the PC and was a major PC maker up untill not too long ago. And that didn't bother Mac lovers one bit. So to use a chip that comes from another PC supplier is no big deal. Besides, an Intel chip will bring down Mac prices, so the argument: "Macs sre too damn expensive" will be deminished.

Intel or IBM chip, I'll still take a Mac over a PC anyday :)

PsychoChimp22
06-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Heh, thats kind of funny.... theyre getting rid of the only thing they ever had going for them... the G CPU (and general self-reliance). Even if they knew this was gonna happen why intel?

/cell fascist

PsychoChimp22
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
I didn't buy my Mac becuase it used an IBM chip as opposed to Intel. I bought it becuase Macs have a reputation for quality, stability, design and great OSs. IBM invented the PC and was a major PC maker up untill not too long ago. And that didn't bother Mac lovers one bit. So to use a chip that comes from another PC supplier is no big deal. Besides, an Intel chip will bring down Mac prices, so the argument: "Macs sre too damn expensive" will be deminished.

Intel or IBM chip, I'll still take a Mac over a PC anyday :)

Omg this is starting to piss me off... WTF is up with people and Windows' stability? I know its like this omen that everybody around me keeps experiancing but never heppens to me??? The last time i had a win comp that crashed was a 266mhz Acer my family bought in 95... after that we had 2 compaqs, after those (probably in 01/02) i started buying and bulding my own windows based PCs (i usualy had about a 33% linux partition but when i reformated a few months ago i said hale no and stuck with windows lol) to fule my gaming obsession :p. Im a long time over clocker and windows ****er-upper but not ONCE since i started building my own (its been like 5 years) have i gotten teh infamous BSoD.

Lucky?

PsychoChimp22
06-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I only like the ipods

Iriver PWNS ipods again and again and again...

johnnynumfiv
06-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Iriver PWNS ipods again and again and again...
Each to his own.

MRR
06-09-2005, 07:55 PM
IBM was unable to supply a 3 ghz G5 chip within a year of the processor's release in 2003. They were also unable to fit the new CPU in a laptop. Apple got fed up and WILL switch to intel. It will be a gradual change and wont be complete to till the end of 2007. IBM will provide some faster G5s over the next two years but in the end Apple will entirely switch to Intel completly. This is odd because the G5 cpu is still the fastest desktop CPU. Apple should have in my opinion used Intel for their laptops / small computers and use IBM for their higher end / larger computers.

Spastik_Roach
06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
My Windows is a POS! Hard Drive got completely wiped 3 months agos, full OS reinstall, only used 14gb's out of 80gb hd and my pc is lagging again, MSN Messenger crashes (truefully) 3 times a day on average. My Windows Media player also slowed down my pc (despite 768mb's of RAM) so i've switched to iTunes and had no problems what-so-ever.

I don't know what Apple do but they do it right, i've tried Apples and have nothing but praise for them.

My PC should be running quickly, its a 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 with 768 MB DDR33MHZ ram and an 80gb hd. But its not despite the overhaul I talked about earlier on and it really, really pisses me off.

My mum constantly does spyware, adware and virus checks on the pc by the way in case you wondering so its hardly negelected.

Supercarfreak123
06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Well, I am a linux lover, and a mac hater.

And even though I was beginning to like macs better, I have no reason to use one now. I began to like the OS, but it's unix based now, So I will stick to Linux.

OBviously, I still use windows on my primary computer for gaming.

Matra et Alpine
06-10-2005, 03:13 AM
This is odd because the G5 cpu is still the fastest desktop CPU. Apple should have in my opinion used Intel for their laptops / small computers and use IBM for their higher end / larger computers.
The patented techniques HP provided Intel means that clock speed has little to do with performance. The long-word-instructions and compiler technology provided HUGE performance increase IN REAL WORLD situations and away from benchmarks.

In real world tasks there is VERY little difference between the top G5 adn Intel. Just that IBM can't take it further forward - partly because of HP's patent portfolio :)

Matra et Alpine
06-10-2005, 03:16 AM
My Windows is a POS! Hard Drive got completely wiped 3 months agos, full OS reinstall, .....
My mum constantly does spyware, adware and virus checks on the pc by the way in case you wondering so its hardly negelected.
IF you're that well protected then you shouond NEVER have had a disk wipe !!

IF it's slowing down then you need tolook VERY CLOSELY at what you have permitted in the cirus/gateway scanners. ALSO make sure you're not runnign the same thing 2 ore 3 times. I find this often. MORE firewall or MORE adware scanners is NOT better.

ALSO, read the manual on your virus scanner and set it appropriately. IF you have a tied down secure firewall then you dont' need to tell the OS to scan EVERY file on open - THE most common cause of slow-downs. Windows allows scanners to intercept every fopen and do a scan before permitting it to be opened. Folks who are too scared of and dont' understand the real risks often run it in that mode and then wonder why it;s slow :)

Spastik_Roach
06-10-2005, 03:52 AM
IF you're that well protected then you shouond NEVER have had a disk wipe !!

IF it's slowing down then you need tolook VERY CLOSELY at what you have permitted in the cirus/gateway scanners. ALSO make sure you're not runnign the same thing 2 ore 3 times. I find this often. MORE firewall or MORE adware scanners is NOT better.

ALSO, read the manual on your virus scanner and set it appropriately. IF you have a tied down secure firewall then you dont' need to tell the OS to scan EVERY file on open - THE most common cause of slow-downs. Windows allows scanners to intercept every fopen and do a scan before permitting it to be opened. Folks who are too scared of and dont' understand the real risks often run it in that mode and then wonder why it;s slow :)

It was a hard drive failure I'm pretty sure which stuffed the pc, not a virus, although i'm not sure.

IBrake4Rainbows
06-10-2005, 04:17 AM
I have a direct contrast in my computer usage.

My school ones are Mac, my Home ones are Windows.

I'll take Windows, thanks. Too many times have the Macs just froze. No real reason, just froze.

my Windows has done that once. And that was after a virus.

andy.muc
06-10-2005, 06:14 AM
I don't consider it bad at all. I use both mac and pc.
Just cause the new apple cpus will be produced in an intel factory doesn't make them any worse.
Intel will produce a G6 or a G7. It's not like they would put a Pentium4 into a new mac...

Matra et Alpine
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
It was a hard drive failure I'm pretty sure which stuffed the pc, not a virus, although i'm not sure.
:)
aha so the evil PC made the Seagate/Quantum/IBM drive fail and the MAC which uses THE SAME DRIVES doesnt'.

RIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :)

Matra et Alpine
06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't consider it bad at all. I use both mac and pc.
Just cause the new apple cpus will be produced in an intel factory doesn't make them any worse.
Intel will produce a G6 or a G7. It's not like they would put a Pentium4 into a new mac...
No they won't.

Intel will take the ideas Apple gave IBM to put into the Gx series and implement improved versions for the next gen the same way they incorporated the HP multi-procewssing, multi-threading and mutli-wording into the Itanium :)

I'll bet Apple will be building on "East Fork" as their core platform.
WHICH is all PENTIUM based. Intel have pulbicly stated that they are predicting they will be able to conintue Moore' Law for another THREE decades which is frankly scary !! So 10 years from now your Intel "PC" will be 64 TIMES more "powerful" than what's on your desk today :) 30 years and it's 250,000 times more "powerful" !!! That's will be more computing on my desk than was on the whole planet when my father first started in computing !!!!!