PDA

View Full Version : What kit should i get?

my porsche
06-10-2005, 09:25 AM
well i am working on an enzo right now and i am wondering what i should get for my next kit...the enzo is probably the 2nd or 3rd real model ive done and ive found it about right to a little easy

so about level 2-3, 1:24 or 1:18 scale, moderate price range, preferably a german car like a porsche or mercedes, maybe a race car

what would be a good brand to get and what model and where should i order from?

LTT
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm also working on the Enzo at the moment, I'm on hold waiting for some paints to come in though. As for a next kit, there is the black 911 GT2 henk posted in my thread, its a race version, but could also be painted as the street version. I believe Tamiya also makes CLK-DTM models, so that could be a nice choice is your going German. I just ordered a CLK GTR and henk said its a nice kit, so they're all viable options. Tamiya also makes a Carrera GT that I'll be picking up at some time. Hope that helps a bit :)

my porsche
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
yeah ive been reading your threads :)

i was thinking after i posted that, something like a a4 dtm car or a 917k or something like that knopw where i can get omne?

where did you get your clk gttr kit?

Dino Scuderia
06-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Fujimi makes a great 917K kit but you will likely have to buy it online unless you have a Hobby Town store near you or a well stocked hobby store.

Here's some online store's:
Strada Sports (http://www.stradasports.com/?ad=scalemodelindex)

Best 1 Hobbies (http://www.best1hobby.com/)

Red Frog Hobbies (http://www.redfroghobbies.com/)

my porsche
06-10-2005, 10:54 AM
thanks dino any recomended brands for begginner/intermediate but that are still accurate looking?

my porsche
06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
thayre all so expensive! maybe ill just stick to the ones from the hobby store, $25 :o

Dino Scuderia
06-10-2005, 11:05 AM
thanks dino any recomended brands for begginner/intermediate but that are still accurate looking?

The 917k would be intermediate, not beginner. The Tamiya CLK's are easy to build, the most difficult part is the decals and that depends one which livery you get.

Tamiya's Carrera GT is an easy kit to build, and as a general rule Tamiya kits go together without any fiddling to make parts fit, Fujimi on the other hand require careful fit inspection and the skills to handle what doesn't fit.

Hasegawa kits a good but also can be fiddly to build.

Aoshima kits are very good, and their recent ones are as good as Tamiya and that's saying a lot.

LTT
06-10-2005, 11:10 AM
yeah ive been reading your threads :)

i was thinking after i posted that, something like a a4 dtm car or a 917k or something like that knopw where i can get omne?

where did you get your clk gttr kit?

I get mine from a hobby store in PEI so the shipping is cheper for me. That wouldn't be practical for you though, as your in the United States.

my porsche
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
the "best 1" is the best one and its affordable too, i think if i order one ill order from there, i like the 917k #20 from fujimi

my porsche
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
when you say need the skills to make it fit, meaning like sanding it etc.? why cant they just make it work like the other? :p

LTT
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
when you say need the skills to make it fit, meaning like sanding it etc.? why cant they just make it work like the other? :p

Same reason a Pontiac doesn't drive like a Porsche :)

my porsche
06-10-2005, 04:33 PM
cuz they are cheaper, opr cuz its american (:p )?

i didnt look at the prices buit they all seem to be in the 20-50 range :)

Dino Scuderia
06-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Fujimi is known for not having their act together, such things as ride height, track width, window fitment problems etc. are fairly common. So occasionally you have to improvise to get the model looking right.

henk4
06-11-2005, 07:34 AM
thayre all so expensive! maybe ill just stick to the ones from the hobby store, $25 :o

bit of a curious comment from somebody who is aiming to buy a 911 or an M3 as his first car :D

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2005, 09:22 AM
bit of a curious comment from somebody who is aiming to buy a 911 or an M3 as his first car :D
ROFLMAO the MASTER scores again :)

Suka
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
What kit should i get?
Damn, i was looking foward to coming into this thread and telling you all about the wonders of the Luego!!! lol

Mustang
06-11-2005, 03:32 PM
you can talk to me about it :p

my porsche
06-12-2005, 05:57 PM
yall love to own me dont you? my dad is paying a large chunk of my car what amounts to about half, im saving everything i get for working for my car, and i have to pay for anything non-essential so thats why its so expensive

Esperante
06-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I hope you don't have the displeasure of building the Revell Enzo. I bought it so I could save a few bucks over the Tamiya version......I don't think I'll ever buy a Revell again. I'm not especially bad at putting together models (somewhat on the other side of the spectrum, not to brag) but everything on this kit doesn't fit. The engine lid doesn't even fit evenly with the body, and hence doesn't close properly. The chassis also was extremely difficult to get on right, and doesn't quite fit either. Total crap.

Dino Scuderia
06-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I hope you don't have the displeasure of building the Revell Enzo. I bought it so I could save a few bucks over the Tamiya version......I don't think I'll ever buy a Revell again. I'm not especially bad at putting together models (somewhat on the other side of the spectrum, not to brag) but everything on this kit doesn't fit. The engine lid doesn't even fit evenly with the body, and hence doesn't close properly. The chassis also was extremely difficult to get on right, and doesn't quite fit either. Total crap.

Yes, some kits have to be 'finessed' together, while Tamya's practically fall together.

Esperante
06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
I'll admit, up until putting the chassis, engine, and cabin in, it was pretty smooth sailing. It was difficult to get the bonnet and engine lid on, but no, you couldn't possibly finesse the engine lid on....check it out....

Dino Scuderia
06-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Tamiya's Enzo engine cover doesn't fit all that great either.

Esperante
06-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Really? Is there some sort of trend in the shape of it that causes some sort of design malfunction?

Dino Scuderia
06-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Really? Is there some sort of trend in the shape of it that causes some sort of design malfunction?

Seems to be. The rear of the cover doesn't seem to want to seal all the way down, not a big problem but keeps it from looking like a perfect fit.

my porsche
06-15-2005, 07:44 PM
you got a fucekd one i have the revell one and i fitted it together but i havent ghlued it and it fits perfectly

my porsche
06-17-2005, 07:34 PM
you said that fujimi is bad? i want the lamborghini kit from them but im worried it will be to dificult

henk4
06-17-2005, 11:41 PM
you said that fujimi is bad? i want the lamborghini kit from them but im worried it will be to dificult

Fujimi had a series of very good and detailed 1/24 scale kits, the so called enthusiasts models, which comprised a large number of Porsche 911s, a Countach. 246GT Dinos, BMW 6 Coupes, Porsches 356 (with engines with a real crankshaft and pistons), a Lancia Stratos, various Daytonas and a 288 GTO.
These kits were sold together with cheaper series, of which the quality is doubtful and need much adjustment to get a perfect fit. I have not treid the recent Lamborghinis but what I heard of it the quality may be acceptable, but these kit are curbside (no engines and very rudimentary suspension parts) and for some are less attractive to build.
Apparently the people who engineered the expensive kits left Fujimi a long time ago and are now associated with Model Factory Hiro, a company that produces very expensive multimaterial kits of a very high standard.

my porsche
06-18-2005, 07:36 AM
ok that doesnt sound good, i want an engine!

what kit would you suggest of a murcielago or a gallardo, or maybe a 993-series gt2, for about $30?

my porsche
06-18-2005, 07:42 AM
for porsches, im torn between the tamiya 911 gt1 and the tamiya 911 club road version

but i still want to find a good lamborghini kit

scottie300z
06-18-2005, 09:06 AM
my friend is building the tamiya gt1 while i build my enzo and its a nice kit, but i see why you would be torn between those two. Personally i would go with the culb road version. All the race cars seem to be about the same build, you build one and its like you've built them all. The engines are all real similar and the interior is nothing, the only thing that differs is the body. But w/ road cars there is alot more detail to them. So basically its, do you want a race car or a road car?

Esperante
06-18-2005, 01:13 PM
On Fujimi...

As henk said, the enthusiast models were incredible, but be warned, they're rather difficult to build if you're inexperienced, but I would recommend you go buy one soon, as they're slowly dissapearing from store shelves.

Recently a friend bought a Fujimi RX8 and had me put it together for him. Total crap. Poor quality molding, poor fit, and inaccurate in many levels. Not even an engine bay. Not recommended unless you NEED an Rx8, in which I believe Fujimi only builds.

my porsche
06-18-2005, 05:51 PM
where can i buy an enthusiast model, all my local store has is die-cast

there is a modeling store but i cant go there very often, and does it say "enthusiast seris"? like big letters?

henk4
06-19-2005, 04:06 AM
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?MacroType=AutPas&Maker1=FUJ&Scale=24&Dis=2&GenreCode=Aut

enthusiast is a series starting with no. 8200. Scroll down the link and you will find an overview, note that HLJ only has one out of the series currently available.

Esperante
06-19-2005, 06:07 AM
where can i buy an enthusiast model, all my local store has is die-cast

there is a modeling store but i cant go there very often, and does it say "enthusiast seris"? like big letters?
You'd be able to tell if you saw one. Either it's a Fujimi in Revell packaging, or on the box it has Fujimi in unusual cursive lettering and just looks old. I believe it does say 'Enthusiats Series' on the box, too, but not big.

henk4
06-19-2005, 07:07 AM
I believe it does say 'Enthusiats Series' on the box, too, but not big.

It does, indeed. The Dino was also released by Revell ages ago.

henk4
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM
when going through my "to build" pile (no future dates attached :) ) I found a Fujimi Enthusiast model that had a small leaflet of this series, with a lot of the available models on there. (The Stratos was issued at a later date)

my porsche
06-20-2005, 08:46 AM
ooo... i se alot of 911's :D i want either a 993 or a '73 carrera rs

henk4
06-20-2005, 08:49 AM
ooo... i se alot of 911's :D i want either a 993 or a '73 carrera rs

all the 911's are the pure ones. I got the Carrera RS lying around here as well.

my porsche
06-20-2005, 08:54 AM
how many unfinished/unstarted kits do you have?

henk4
06-20-2005, 09:27 AM
how many unfinished/unstarted kits do you have?

my wife is accusing me of insanity :) She may be right.

my porsche
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
i was looking for numerical values :p

henk4
06-20-2005, 01:37 PM
i was looking for numerical values :p

I am afraid starting to count would cause me some problems as well :)

my porsche
06-20-2005, 02:00 PM
how about mailing them ti me?

nirvesh
06-22-2005, 11:37 AM
i think you should get the 60s kit bc dat kit is fast but u jus have to have a huge intercooler system. back in ontario me and my parthner wasworking on 1 and we decided to build it bigger so it's still in progress so is ne1 working on a kit? if so wat kind and model?

nirvesh
06-22-2005, 11:39 AM
so any new projects anyone is recently working on?

nirvesh
06-22-2005, 11:40 AM
btw do any ppl know about the cat nitrous?

Suka
06-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Blimey, give it more than 2 minutes for someone to reply, some of the builders or offline. Jeez.

henk4
06-22-2005, 12:03 PM

this is about the harmless hobby of plastic scale modeling :D
Never would anybody think of adding anything nitrous to that :)

Suka
06-22-2005, 12:56 PM
this is about the harmless hobby of plastic scale modeling :D
Never would anybody think of adding anything nitrous to that :)
Yeah, you surely wouldn't have much control of it when you gave it a squirt, you'd hit a wall.

henk4
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah, you surely wouldn't have much control of it when you gave it a squirt, you'd hit a wall.

hitting a wall without nitrous is already fatal :)

Suka
06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
hitting a wall without nitrous is already fatal :)
I doubt it would be fatal, you couldn't fit in a model car, unless you are a borrower.

henk4
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
I doubt it would be fatal, you couldn't fit in a model car, unless you are a borrower.

model nitrous sets could be designed :)

Suka
06-22-2005, 01:17 PM
model nitrous sets could be designed :)
That would be fun but still, i doubt you could fit in the model to be able to die in a fatal crash.

henk4
06-22-2005, 01:19 PM
That would be fun but still, i doubt you could fit in the model to be able to die in a fatal crash.

you have no idea how fragile plastic models are.

Suka
06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
you have no idea how fragile plastic models are.
I have a sore foot and a broken Porsche 911 that says otherwise! lol

henk4
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
I have a sore foot and a broken Porsche 911 that says otherwise! lol

German plastic is strong

Suka
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
German plastic is strong
Ha ha, hence the very sore foot.

my porsche
07-01-2005, 06:06 AM
nirvesh, what the f*ck are you talking about? :p

yeah i accidentally sat on a model one time, or maybe i threw it across the room, not sure

Esperante
07-01-2005, 07:24 AM
when going through my "to build" pile (no future dates attached :) ) I found a Fujimi Enthusiast model that had a small leaflet of this series, with a lot of the available models on there. (The Stratos was issued at a later date)
I believe Hasegawa came out with a nice Stratos earlier this year,too. :)

henk4
07-02-2005, 06:11 AM
I believe Hasegawa came out with a nice Stratos earlier this year,too. :)

but that is a curbside kit I think, contrary to their 037 model which is great, and also available as a Revell kit.