PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S2 IS- Is it worth it?

johnnynumfiv
06-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I've been thinking about replacing my nikon coolpix with something a little more powerful and I came upon this.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=11368

Stats:
-Compact 5.0 Megapixel digital camera featuring super long 12x Optical /4x Digital / 48x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer technology, UD glass and Aspherical lens for excellent sharpness and color
-Takes still images up to 5.0 Megapixels while shooting movies with the new, exclusive "MovieSnap" feature
-High-quality 30 fps VGA continuous movie recording, with powerful features including optical zooming during the movie and Stereo Sound
DIGIC II Image Processor and iSAPS Technology for superior image quality, faster camera operation and lower power consumption
-USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for faster downloads and file transfers
-1.8 inch Vari-Angle LCD screen for clear image previews and reviews, and special Night Display function option for clearer view of subjects in dim shooting conditions
-Wide range of system accessories including supplementary lenses and -HF-DC1 auxiliary flash unit

The prices are going from about $470-$525. Then plus about $50 for a decent memory card, is it worth the money, or is there a better camera that I should look into?

SPHFerrari
06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
i just ordered one for my school along with 1000 dollars in other photo equip. its back ordered pretty much everywhere and probably wont come in until im out of school. if it does come in, however, ill let you know what i think.

i have the S1 IS and it was a GREAT camera. this should be even better. the 12x zoom is pretty impressive.

johnnyperl
06-15-2005, 01:39 PM
what kind of pictures do you take? are you into photography or just want to take snapshots? ive got a 35mm Nikon F for "photography" and will be ordering a FujiFilm S5100 (4.0mp and 10x optical) for $300 WITH a 512mb card for snaphots.

it all depends on what you want to do with it...

johnnynumfiv
06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Taking pictures of racing, car shows, and other random stuff. I would like to get into photography but I guess all I take is snapshots.

Niko_Fx
06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
That looks like a sweet camera, can you take photos of fast moving objects and have them look non-blurry with it?

Sorry I know nothing about cameras.

SPHFerrari
06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
not exactly, you can shoot at very slow shutter speeds without any blur.

crisis
06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Going to 5mp is of little benefit unless you require large posters or enlarging small parts of photographs. For snapshots 3mp is fine. Of course you may want different shutter speeds or powerful zooms in which case you might want to go to something that allows interchangeable lenses.

Quiggs
06-15-2005, 05:30 PM
It looks like a point & shoot pretending to be a SLR. Usually you end up with something that isn't good at either. If you're looking for just a P&S you could get away with something a little cheaper; you'll never really need 5MP or 12x optical. But if you're serious about getting into photography as a bit of a hobby, try picking up a used or remanufactured DSLR. The interchangability is really worth it.

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-15-2005, 05:44 PM
looks nice but you should chek out the Powershot "G" series too-whatever number theyre up to. number one thing to do is check it out at B&H-nothing beats hands on :)

johnnynumfiv
06-15-2005, 06:20 PM
One big reason why I would like this camera is because of the zoom, sitting up on a hill at limerock or looking down the 1/4 mile autocross parking lot, its really needed. I still need to have a P&S camera because my parents would want to use it for ebay and stuff. I would like the high res because I can take pictures at large res at a distance and be able to cut out the unwanted parts of the picture and still have a nice res "close up".
I don't really have the money to buy a SLR camera like the Digital Rebel(all spare $ is going to the race car). I haven't looked into prices for lenses but aren't they a bit expensive?

SPHFerrari
06-15-2005, 06:46 PM
yes. unless you really want to have photography as a major hobby, dont buy a dslr. aside from the body being twice the price as the camera your suggesting, you dont get any real zoom with that. then you have to buy a nice zoom lens. then you want nicer lenses, and a flashgun, and many more accessories, then mroe lenses, and a bigger bag to carry it all, then...

my 1000 dollar initial investment is turnign out to be really expensive. and i dont care either :eek: by the end of this summer ill have probably spent another thousand or so, provided i get a job.

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-15-2005, 06:49 PM
yes. unless you really want to have photography as a major hobby, dont buy a dslr. aside from the body being twice the price as the camera your suggesting, you dont get any real zoom with that. then you have to buy a nice zoom lens. then you want nicer lenses, and a flashgun, and many more accessories, then mroe lenses, and a bigger bag to carry it all, then...

my 1000 dollar initial investment is turnign out to be really expensive. and i dont care either :eek: by the end of this summer ill have probably spent another thousand or so, provided i get a job.
you scare me scince ill be pretty much following your footsteps :o and i dont have time for a job this summer

Esperante
06-15-2005, 06:54 PM
I document cities-you know, take pictures of landscapes, urban areas, etc. for future reference (sure, it's sounds crazy today, but in 50 nobody would have known what 2005 looked like!) In my case, high resolution is a big deal. Depends on what you plan to do....

SPHFerrari
06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
you scare me scince ill be pretty much following your footsteps :o and i dont have time for a job this summer
good luck :) i am going to work like 30 hours a week this summer because im not around for too long and i want to satisfy my needs for photo gear before i start having to pay for gas and stuff, and before i go back to school and cant work many hours.

of course, i say this now. next year ill probably be trying to buy other stuff.

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-15-2005, 07:01 PM
yeah but i can probably get a job next summer

crisis
06-16-2005, 12:15 AM
I document cities-you know, take pictures of landscapes, urban areas, etc. for future reference (sure, it's sounds crazy today, but in 50 nobody would have known what 2005 looked like!) In my case, high resolution is a big deal. Depends on what you plan to do....
Thats very impressive.