PDA

View Full Version : Insight vs. Prius

Karrmann
01-24-2004, 10:51 AM
wadda you say I say

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/10714502IOB130916737A.jpg

baddabang
01-24-2004, 01:39 PM
ok can we get some more info like specs and picture of both cars :confused:

Misho
01-24-2004, 06:02 PM
the new Prius totally kills the Insight.
It was chosen by Motor Trend as their 2004 "Car of the Year".

Egg Nog
01-24-2004, 11:42 PM
I really like the new Prius, but I've always been a big fan of the Insight. The Insight was built from the ground up, with attention paid to every aspect of efficiency, even in the development of a new engine. The original Prius seemed much more to me like an electrically-retrofitted Echo.

If anyody wants any specific information, I've got the entire thick specifications binder for the Insight that members of the media were given during its release.

fpv_gtho
01-25-2004, 07:37 AM
neither of the cars really impressed me that much, toyota made a great hybrid but the car as a whole was fairly unimpressing. honda made what seemed to be a fairly sport little couple but costed way too much and didnt have performance. the new prius looks better than the old one, but still isnt what could be called a good car in the way it rides and handles

NAZCA C2
01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
the prius looks like a regular car plus you car fit more people in it so it is a more useful car.

laggencam
01-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Actually you gotta realize toyota was the first car manufacturer to even come up with the whole hybrid idea back in 1997 when they were first sold in japan , but honda beat toyota by selling hybrids in the states first, In my opinion, the Honda got really great and bad reviews... one being that it would get thrown to another lane with a strong gust of wind going only 60mph, the new prius weighs more, has more power and saves more gas and also seats 5, actually speaking of power this little car makes 295 lb.-ft. @ 0-1,200 rpm with just the electric engine on... and also save more gas around town then on the highway and is faster then the insight... the hybrid highlander which is coming out is going to be double the power of the electric motor and will be faster(probably 0-60 in low 7 seconds) and save more gas then most 4 bangers...(around 29 mpg) pretty neat stuff..

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/prius/gallery/exterior/photo_8.jpg
http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/prius/gallery/exterior/photo_2.jpg
http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/prius/gallery/exterior/photo_3.jpg

GT500
01-31-2004, 05:14 PM
ahh, the Prius is wonderfully awesome, worth every penny. The Insight on the other hand is also wonderfully nice, but it doesn't match the Prius.

Karrmann
03-25-2004, 05:35 AM
Really, I think the Insight sucks scum. it only sits 2 people and has no cargo space and it doesn't get the fuel milage of the Prius. Compare the specs at www.toyota.com

Karrmann
03-25-2004, 05:53 AM
There is this moron at work called patrick. He acts like he is all rich but he drives a breaking down 88 Caravan and he thinks the prius sucks and is slow and you should try to Guzzle as much gas as you can. He goes up to me and says he can spit faster than my prius and can steal my girlfriend faster than my Prius.

fpv_gtho
03-25-2004, 05:57 AM
well although the prius deserves praise for its technology in the hybrid engien and economy, as a car its still a fairly crude package, with rather dissapointing dynamics and easily not the best handling package in the business

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Actually you gotta realize toyota was the first car manufacturer to even come up with the whole hybrid idea back in 1997 when they were first sold in japan ,
Some historical info again - I'm a sad b*****d !!!

Actually the first hybrid was almost 90 years earlier and in the USA !!

In 1916 CE Woods produced a hybrid car that had both an internal combustion engine and an electric motor.

Some more sad irrelevant info ....
The first electric vehicle was actually built in Scotland some time during the 1830s. It was built before the development of the rechargeable battery so it wasn't very practical :)

Niko_Fx
03-25-2004, 06:37 AM
My vote goes to the Toyota Prius IMO it looks better and sits more people.

Wouldn't mind having any of those tho, now that the gas prices are going up :mad:

Misho
03-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Yes Niko, we understand, thank you !!!

or did u forget that u posted ur opinion on this issue and came cack an hour later with the same opinion ?!! :)

Niko_Fx
03-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes Niko, we understand, thank you !!!

or did u forget that u posted ur opinion on this issue and came cack an hour later with the same opinion ?!! :)

Sorry, I deleted it. Is just that the first time it didn't appear, when I wrote it again only the second one was there. Strange :confused:

IBrake4Rainbows
03-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Prius Everytime. The Insight is just the wrong way of going about things. if you have to make sacrifices for the car, it'd better have personality, not look like a badly drawn manga-wannabe car. meanwhile the prius is just like a Corolla sedan, which is the basis of it's appeal. it's kind of the same with the Honda Civic IMA, you'd hardly know that it was electric at all :)

Karrmann
03-26-2004, 06:53 PM
really toyota didn't come up with the hybrid idea first, but they were the first to mass produse a fully functional hybrid :)

Misho
03-26-2004, 07:59 PM
i guess that with the introduction of the civic hybrid, it is more of a competitor to the Prius than the Insight.

Karrmann
03-27-2004, 05:24 AM
gas prices are going up because of those shit heads who drive hummer H1's, just to take their kid to school and piano lessons. those Shit heads derserve to be run over by a Prius

Karrmann
04-17-2004, 02:12 PM
heres something to sleep on

Quote from consumer reports
"the honda Insight is very noisy because the body is thin trying to get fuel milage. The suspension is stiff and there is a big fuel cell in where'd there be cargo space. A more pratcial Hybrid choice would be the Toyota Prius."

Egg Nog
04-17-2004, 05:14 PM
"the honda Insight is very noisy because the body is thin trying to get fuel milage. The suspension is stiff and there is a big fuel cell in where'd there be cargo space. A more pratcial Hybrid choice would be the Toyota Prius."

I agree that the Prius is generally more practical, but let's bear in mind that they aren't really competitors. I met an elderly couple last year driving a red Insight, and they said that they had looked at the Toyota, and it was too big for what they wanted. The man said that he wanted a manual transmission too.

Anyway, I think this supposed rivalry is useless. All of these hybrids are awesome, well thought-out cars. They're really pushing us into the new technologies where we need to be. If SUVs are two steps backward, than at least these are one step forward. We're getting there, folks :)