PDA

View Full Version : Aston Martin

STEVE15235
01-25-2004, 04:13 AM
Does aston martin plans to release a supercar as competition to slr,carrera gt,enzo,pagani

Scientist
01-25-2004, 04:32 AM
Does aston martin plans to release a supercar as competition to slr,carrera gt,enzo,pagani

Not that I know of...Their next new cars are the DB9 and the DB9 Volante

Egg Nog
01-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Aston Martin's closest competitor would be the Vanquish, which isn't really in that league. I don't forsee AM coming out with anything crazy too soon. The last really crazy thing they did was the twin-supercharged 600hp version of the V8 Vantage :)

Batmobile_Turbo
01-25-2004, 11:57 AM
i don't hink the SLR is in with the S7 and Enzo crowd, it's more like the Vanquish.

SL500
01-25-2004, 02:23 PM
i don't hink the SLR is in with the S7 and Enzo crowd, it's more like the Vanquish.
serious vanquish's rival is gallardo,that means like you say slr must compete with gallardo

slr,cgt,murc,enzo,s7,c12s and cc8s are in the same class
(not sure about veyron)

Evil Ewok
01-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Other than the DB9, there is also the upcoming AMV8 Vantage, now that, is a nice looking car. Performance wise it is supposed to be able to compete with the little brothers of the super car division (360 modena, porsche 911 turbo, etc.). I personally think it looks better than the DB9, smaller frame, still has the aston martin viusal looks, long bonnet and stuff. Just nice looking though.

jameswithington
01-25-2004, 03:50 PM
serious vanquish's rival is gallardo

Hmm, not convinced about that. I reckon Vanquish's only really close competitors are the big Ferrari GTs (575M Maranello, 612 Scaglietti). Think about it, all have the classic sleek, front engine rear wheel drive sporting GT layout with stunning looks, all have serious V12 muscle, and all are packed with all the technological luxuries you would expect for the weight and price. They are all in the same ball park in terms of cost too. The new Bentley GT is perhaps a competitor too, but is a little too civilised wih the fancy four wheel drive system. Frankly it's just a bit too VW/Audi to have the kind of romance and passion you get with an Aston or a Ferrari.

The Gallardo is much more in 360 Modena, 996 Turbo, Ford GT territory.

I've heard rumours that Aston Martin could be off to Le Mans with a racing version of the DB9 within the next couple of years, can anyone on here confirm? I'd rather see Aston trying to relive their former glories on the race track, taking the fight to Ferrari again like in years gone by, rather than trying their hands at a full blown hypercar.

werty
01-25-2004, 04:21 PM
I love the ferrari enzo
it would rip the doors off an Aston Martin

DiabloGTR
01-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I love the ferrari enzo

Aston Martins don't compete with the Enzo, not many cars do.
Enzos sell for over a million, even though it's price is $645,000, only 399 made and they are in very high demand for a supercar.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-25-2004, 08:58 PM
i still think that the SLR and the Vanquish are in the same class, because they are both front engined and they both go to 60 in the higher 3s, and they have more luxury features than a normal supercar.

Egg Nog
01-25-2004, 09:07 PM
I love the ferrari enzo

The McLaren F1 is faster than a Pontiac Sunfire. Therfore, the Sunfire's existence is pointless and irrelevent.

Scientist
01-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah, like jameswithington said, the Vanquish aims more for luxury and performance, and the performance is close to the Ferrari's (575 and 612)
The SLR also aims for luxury, but tries to combine this with speed more.
So the SLR is a bit in a class of its own, it's not comparable to any car, for that combination. Maybe the Veyron (very much a luxury interior) is a competitor for it.

SL500
01-26-2004, 07:34 AM
i still think that the SLR and the Vanquish are in the same class, because they are both front engined and they both go to 60 in the higher 3s, and they have more luxury features than a normal supercar.
sssheeh,compare these two,please

Aston martin v12 vanquish

General Information
Price: $228,000
Miles Per Gallon: 11/18 mpg
Curb Weight: 4099 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: V12
Displacement: 5935 cc
Horsepower: 460 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 400 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Redline: ---- rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 4.4 sec
0-100 mph: 10.3 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.9 sec @ 115 mph
Skidpad: .91g
Top Speed: 190 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 130 ft
Slalom Speed: 61.2 mph

SLR McLaren

General Information
Price: $---,---
Miles Per Gallon: --/-- mpg
Curb Weight: 3527 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Auto
Engine
Type: Supercharged V8
Displacement: 5496 cc
Horsepower: 618 bhp @ 7000 rpm
Torque: --- lb-ft @ ---- rpm
Redline: ---- rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
0-100 mph: est 8.6 sec
Quarter Mile: est 11.6 sec @ 124 mph
Skidpad: est .95g
Top Speed: 211 mph

Batmobile_Turbo
01-26-2004, 08:52 AM
sssheeh,compare these two,please

ok, they're not in the same class.

werty
01-26-2004, 09:18 AM
The McLaren F1 is faster than a Pontiac Sunfire. Therfore, the Sunfire's existence is pointless and irrelevent.

what does your qoute have anything to do with mine about the enzo?

werty
01-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Aston Martins don't compete with the Enzo, not many cars do.
Enzos sell for over a million, even though it's price is $645,000, only 399 made and they are in very high demand for a supercar.

obvoiusly they dont compete, i'm just say'n i love the enzo and i think aston's are way to slow for their price tag

SL500
01-26-2004, 01:26 PM
obvoiusly they dont compete, i'm just say'n i love the enzo and i think aston's are way to slow for their price tag
no man,theyre fast indeed,and theyre handbuilt too,i love all astons

SL500
01-26-2004, 01:29 PM
ok, they're not in the same class.
SL55 amg vs Vanquish

Egg Nog
01-26-2004, 03:51 PM
what does your qoute have anything to do with mine about the enzo?

Well, because the Vanquish and the Enzo are in a completely different class. I was trying to stress (albeit sarcastically) that different classes shouldn't really be compared.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-26-2004, 05:48 PM
SL55 amg vs Vanquish
that is a fair comparison

crisis
01-27-2004, 12:07 AM
The Enzo , like most top end ferraris are borderline race cars with bodys. There are deviod of most luxury items and eschew trim in some cases for lightness. Aston Martins Raison d être is completely different. One can enjoy a powerful car encompassed in a luxurious environment. As Egg nog said, you are comparing to completely different types of car.

crisis
01-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Aston Martin=gay car
Inane comment = dip shit.

werty
01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
I Know You Think Aston Martin Are Really Great And All
And That They Are In A Different Class Then The Enzo, But For Their Price Versus The Price Of A 360 Spider Modena, And Their Difference In Performance, I'd Take The Ferrari Any Day Over The Aston. And I Bet The Majority Of The People On This Web Site Would Agree With Me

Veyron09
01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah so would I
Ferraris have a better style too cuz AM's are all elegant and that but ferrari is more racy.
Just take a look at these pic's.

SL500
01-28-2004, 03:13 AM
Yeah so would I
Ferraris have a better style too cuz AM's are all elegant and that but ferrari is more racy.
Just take a look at these pic's.
you cant compare them,theyre in different classes

575m maranello vs vanquish
i prefer vanquish

werty
01-29-2004, 09:15 AM
you cant compare them,theyre in different classes

575m maranello vs vanquish
i prefer vanquish

WHY CANT YOU COMPARE THE MODENA AND THE VANQUISH
NAME SOME REASONS WHY YOU THINK THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT CLASSES

SL500
01-29-2004, 09:48 AM
WHY CANT YOU COMPARE THE MODENA AND THE VANQUISH
NAME SOME REASONS WHY YOU THINK THEY ARE IN DIFFERENT CLASSES
i meant enzo not modena
anyway,vanquish vs modena,an V12 6000cc vs v8 3600cc?
i think the serious rival for vanquish is 575m

Batmobile_Turbo
01-29-2004, 01:00 PM
i meant enzo not modena
anyway,vanquish vs modena,an V12 6000cc vs v8 3600cc?
i think the serious rival for vanquish is 575m
i think that the Corvette Z06 is close to the 360 modena, because it goes to 60 in 4.6 seconds for the 2001 model,whereas the 2000 360 modena goes to 60 in 4.3 seconds

the 360 Modena goes to 100 in 10.3 seconds and the the 2001 Z06 in 10.5
it also beats the 360 in the quarter mile, the Z06 having 12.6 and the 360 having 13.0
the 360 has more horse power, but has a but does the same damage as far as the 0-100 goes and the quarter mile.
so for the top speed the 360 has 189 mph and the Z06 comes to a 171 mph top speed.
last of all to be considered is the price, the 360 Modena costs 140 dollars US but the Z06 costs a hefty 95,000 dollars less.
all these comparisons were made for the 2001 Z06, so the 2002 Z06 which i can't find all the performance figures on, has 405 HP so would perform even better than the 2001 Z06 and the 360 Modena for the about same price as the 2001 Z06.

werty
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
i think that the Corvette Z06 is close to the 360 modena, because it goes to 60 in 4.6 seconds for the 2001 model,whereas the 2000 360 modena goes to 60 in 4.3 seconds

the 360 Modena goes to 100 in 10.3 seconds and the the 2001 Z06 in 10.5
it also beats the 360 in the quarter mile, the Z06 having 12.6 and the 360 having 13.0
the 360 has more horse power, but has a but does the same damage as far as the 0-100 goes and the quarter mile.
so for the top speed the 360 has 189 mph and the Z06 comes to a 171 mph top speed.
last of all to be considered is the price, the 360 Modena costs 140 dollars US but the Z06 costs a hefty 95,000 dollars less.
all these comparisons were made for the 2001 Z06, so the 2002 Z06 which i can't find all the performance figures on, has 405 HP so would perform even better than the 2001 Z06 and the 360 Modena for the about same price as the 2001 Z06.

They do have close performance figures, but i'd take the italion stallion over a plastic filled corvette with a shoebox for a body

Batmobile_Turbo
01-30-2004, 03:03 PM
They do have close performance figures, but i'd take the italion stallion over a plastic filled corvette with a shoebox for a body
GRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad: what shoebox???!!!:mad:??? the corvette is very beutiful, and it has one of the most aerodynamic bodys in the world. but if by shoebox you mean better looking than a 360 modena then it's a super shoebox
wow though, you sure have a knack for saying stupid things.(like the Vanquish is crap because it's slower than an Enzo)

Batmobile_Turbo
01-30-2004, 03:25 PM
wow, look at this thing could a car be boxier? i think that the cararra GT is a little more boxy.

ok here is a couple of shoeboxes :rolleyes:

werty
01-30-2004, 05:00 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad: what shoebox???!!!:mad:??? the corvette is very beutiful, and it has one of the most aerodynamic bodys in the world. but if by shoebox you mean better looking than a 360 modena then it's a super shoebox
wow though, you sure have a knack for saying stupid things.(like the Vanquish is crap because it's slower than an Enzo)

the corvette isn't very appealing to me, it has a good shape on the sides, but i don't care for the front end or the back end. the interior is filled with cheap plastic designs similar to the mustang. Overall it is very box shaped
The 2005 corvette design is much better.
as for the vanquish, it isn't ugly at all, but i just wish it could be faster

Matra et Alpine
01-30-2004, 05:19 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad: what shoebox???!!!:mad:??? the corvette is very beutiful, and it has one of the most aerodynamic bodys in the world.
It's quoted at 0.29 Cd.
The 1921 Rumpler Wagon had a drag coefficient of only 0.27 !!
Opel Calibra production vehicle is 0.26 - that's a standard family car in Europe :)
As does the Lexus LS400 - they even managed 0.25 with the one with the lowering suspension and taken at it's lowest ( I think they're cheating doing that but that's for another day ! )
True that most of the main cars are 0.30 and the numbers would suggest the 'vette is better.
BUT, the question is what settings were the ride-height, wings, splitters and wing mirrors.
Yes wing-mirrors, my A610 (1992) is quoted 0.30 but it's been reported that Alpine had done test to 'improve' the numbers and they managed it by removing the wing mirrors - impractical for a road car :)
The main component in Cd is the frontal area of the car.
Even though the supercars are lower, they are alos invariably MUCH wider and so the overal frontal area can sometimes be higher than a family car.
Aerodynamicists try their best to make airflow with least resistacne to make up for the 'slab' of frontal area.
What is often forgotten is that American supercars are known for their 'guts'.
They are mean, powerful, V8s with attitude.
So the styling reflects that attitude.
I like it sometimes :)
BTW, seldom known fact. An F1 car has a Cd in the region of 0.6.
Yes double the saloon cars. Reason - all those wings producing downforce.
Yet most people think that an F1 or Champ/IRL/CART car should be more slippery than a clunkier looking road car.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-30-2004, 07:13 PM
the corvette isn't very appealing to me, it has a good shape on the sides, but i don't care for the front end or the back end. the interior is filled with cheap plastic designs similar to the mustang. Overall it is very box shaped
The 2005 corvette design is much better.
as for the vanquish, it isn't ugly at all, but i just wish it could be faster
the Enzo is much more box shaped, and the interior of the Corvette reflects the interior of a spartan sports car. there is no possible way that the Corvette is box shaped. ok here's a box and a Z06 Corvette

Matra et Alpine
01-31-2004, 03:21 AM
there is no possible way that the Corvette is box shaped
Your photo of the 'vette has actually convinced me that it IS a box.
Try and desribe the lines and design of the car.
Explain what that shape is stuck on behind the drivers door ?
In a front-engined car there is no excuse for not being innovative at the rear end.
I think they're stuck with 'legacy' in this world of design evalutions and groups.
They want a car that the public can say "yep that's a 'vette" and for that they're stuck with 1960s design features.
Sorry that rear box is UGLY.
It looked nicer from a full rear shot though :)

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 12:26 PM
Your photo of the 'vette has actually convinced me that it IS a box.
Try and desribe the lines and design of the car.
Explain what that shape is stuck on behind the drivers door ?
In a front-engined car there is no excuse for not being innovative at the rear end.
I think they're stuck with 'legacy' in this world of design evalutions and groups.
They want a car that the public can say "yep that's a 'vette" and for that they're stuck with 1960s design features.
Sorry that rear box is UGLY.
It looked nicer from a full rear shot though :)
ok, i used to think that it looked like a box, but that's because i only had seen it in pictures and the pictures showed it at bad angles. i'e now seen many more pictures that show the vette to be a sleek, and beutiful looking car, it kind of grew on me. if you look at it long enough you will start to like it a lot more. the front is sleek and smooth looking, and as for the rear "box" if you look at it more you will start to like it more that's about all i can say.

here are a few more pics.

Matra et Alpine
01-31-2004, 12:36 PM
now seen many more pictures that show the vette to be a sleek, and beutiful looking car, it kind of grew on me. if you look at it long enough you will start to like it a lot
You sound like a Renault ad man talking about the new Renault-rear as featured in the Megane.

It took a clever ad with the song "shakin your ass" to make people in the UK start to say it looks OK, then nice, then beautiful.

Subliminal messages rule :)

Sorry but I'm not a great fan of the 'vette look. Some were good and others not over the years. I think the back end will condemn this one as the front is nothing special - the optimal wind-tunnel look and little character :(

Matra et Alpine
01-31-2004, 12:51 PM
if you look at it more you will start to like it more that's about all i can say
Yep, the more I've looked the better it looks.
:) See pic :)

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Yep, the more I've looked the better it looks.
:) See pic :)
nice one :p even though that actually still looks good, it makes it look weakish.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 06:05 PM
i think if the rear window went further to the rear it might look better. or if the rear was to the front more while still retaining its shape, or both.

Matra et Alpine
01-31-2004, 07:28 PM
nice one :p even though that actually still looks good, it makes it look weakish.
I was trying to say that earlier.
It doesn't look lie a 'vette now.
'Vette's will always be known for that square and solid rear end.
It's just ugly, but they can't do anything about it or complaints about it being 'weak' would be valid :)
Don't you love trying to come up with a new car but with the same 'image' !!

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 09:29 PM
I was trying to say that earlier.
It doesn't look lie a 'vette now.
'Vette's will always be known for that square and solid rear end.
It's just ugly, but they can't do anything about it or complaints about it being 'weak' would be valid :)
Don't you love trying to come up with a new car but with the same 'image' !!
if I had photoshop I would make a better looking Vette, it would have the same front but a slightly different back. well, I might change the front.
this will be an on-going prosess, i only have paint, so it takes longer for it to look good.
here it is so far, i just started.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 10:59 PM
ok, here's the finished but unpolished product, i will do more as time goes on and repost the pic on this comment....here it is

Matra et Alpine
02-01-2004, 04:27 AM
if I had photoshop I would make a better looking Vette, it would have the same front but a slightly different back.
Is your real name Chris Bangle ?
I think we both see the box stuck on the back as the main 'vette problem.

NoOne
02-01-2004, 09:10 AM
LMFAO :D :D

I looked at the pic and thought the same thing, and then I saw your post.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-01-2004, 03:29 PM
if i could show the back it would not be level with the part you see in the pic, it would slope down in the middle.

here i did another one,

Matra et Alpine
02-01-2004, 04:33 PM
if i could show the back it would not be level with the part you see in the pic, it would slope down in the middle.

here i did another one,
Is the second image the idea ?
Man it looks to have a HUGE ass !
"Looks like a bread van" we would say in the UK>
Don't worry, Lotus at their best did worse :) See a Lotus Europa :)
http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/990913/std_1972_lotus_europa_special_-_side.jpg

Batmobile_Turbo
02-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Is the second image the idea ?
Man it looks to have a HUGE ass !
"Looks like a bread van" we would say in the UK>
Don't worry, Lotus at their best did worse :) See a Lotus Europa :)
http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/990913/std_1972_lotus_europa_special_-_side.jpg
the first one was supposed to be the improvement, anyway, I like the Lotus Europa despite it's boxish rear.

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 03:38 PM
How about if they borrowed some design clues from the new RX8 ?

:)

Batmobile_Turbo
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM

:eek: woa is that real?? :) maybe i'll make a four door Vette, sometime at least.

werty
02-02-2004, 05:29 PM

here is my version

Batmobile_Turbo
02-02-2004, 05:36 PM
here is my version
rear end need more work as a picture but not bad for that part, it hink the side-skirts are kind of dumb though

werty
02-02-2004, 05:39 PM
rear end need more work as a picture but not bad for that part, it hink the side-skirts are kind of dumb though

hey i did it in 2 minutes, and it already looks less boxy

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 06:14 PM
:eek: woa is that real?? :) maybe i'll make a four door Vette, sometime at least.
Not real.
We've been playing with the box shape here for a while......

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Enjoy :)
I wonder if any of these designs we've been hacking up in a few minutes will end up anywhere else as 'official' photos of next gen vettes :)

Batmobile_Turbo
02-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Enjoy :)
I wonder if any of these designs we've been hacking up in a few minutes will end up anywhere else as 'official' photos of next gen vettes :)
here's an official pic of the next generation C6 Corvette, it think it looks a bit better. anyway, i'll make a real looking (or as real logking as I can make it in paint) one of a four door.

bum-man
02-02-2004, 08:52 PM
i dont understand...what part of the vette is boxy? from the side its all curves, same goes with the back and front. the only angle of the car that would make it look boxy is if you viewed it from the top and many people dont get the chance to see a corvette from the air...

bum-man
02-02-2004, 08:58 PM
o ya...guys please stop choping the vette up in photoshop, theyre almost as good as the X5 chop i recently posted :P...leave the vette with some dignity... :D

Batmobile_Turbo
02-02-2004, 08:59 PM
i dont understand...what part of the vette is boxy? from the side its all curves, same goes with the back and front. the only angle of the car that would make it look boxy is if you viewed it from the top and many people dont get the chance to see a corvette from the air...
that's what I still think too, but not everyone still thinks that it's boxy.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-02-2004, 09:33 PM
o ya...guys please stop choping the vette up in photoshop, theyre almost as good as the X5 chop i recently posted :P...leave the vette with some dignity... :D
i was just trying to re-dignify it for the two who think it's boxy, I like chopping it too.
P.S. I don't use photoshop, I use piant.
anyway, look for a four door Corvette in the multimedia section ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-03-2004, 02:31 AM
i was just trying to re-dignify it for the two who think it's boxy, I like chopping it too.
P.S. I don't use photoshop, I use piant.
anyway, look for a four door Corvette in the multimedia section ;)
No feedback on mine in this section bat ??

Matra et Alpine
02-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Look at the shape from the rear of the door backwards. It's too big and looks like a box stuck on. It's gotten bigger over the years. If you look at some of the chops - especially mine where I've been particuclary brutal it may show the differences for appraisal.
Oj and it'a all fun :)

Matra et Alpine
02-03-2004, 04:09 AM
Messing with the Vette one last time - honest.

Couldn't resist completing the corvette model line-up for 2005 :)

Here it is, the SUV !!!!

Pictures not brilliant as the tyres need work to remove the floating look.
But I've spent my 'coffee-time' - back to earning a dollar :)

( Is it poissible to 'move' postings ? This Aston thread's gone off on a 'modding vette'. We should have put all the vette stuff somewhere else )

Sorry in advance :)

jones.dk
02-03-2004, 07:35 AM

i dont hope that AM comes with a car to compete with Enzo, Carrera GT etc. because it doesnt fit with AMs style..... :(

Batmobile_Turbo
02-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Messing with the Vette one last time - honest.

Couldn't resist completing the corvette model line-up for 2005 :)

Here it is, the SUV !!!!

Pictures not brilliant as the tyres need work to remove the floating look.
But I've spent my 'coffee-time' - back to earning a dollar :)

( Is it poissible to 'move' postings ? This Aston thread's gone off on a 'modding vette'. We should have put all the vette stuff somewhere else )

Sorry in advance :)
the actual picture quality ont he SUV one is horrible, but the shape and certain details are quite good for a beginning, so your 'coffe time' wasn't wasted. anyway, here is my four door vette so far, i kept the origional (what you call) box on it because it needs a big trunk to be more sedan-like. it's not finished yet so don't be critical.

Matra et Alpine
02-03-2004, 06:03 PM
the actual picture quality ont he SUV one is horrible
yea, it'
s fourth gen image as I wasn't starting back at the beginning each time, if you look close you can see all the additions to the image - I never spent time on the views through the windows :)

my four door vette so far, i kept the origional (what you call) box on it because it needs a big trunk to be more sedan-like. it's not finished yet so don't be critical.
Not critical of the work, but WHY put a boot (trunk!) on a 'vette ?
It's kinda proving the point I made early, the design is stuck in the 70s !!
Anyway it's been fun.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-03-2004, 07:53 PM
yea, it'
s fourth gen image as I wasn't starting back at the beginning each time, if you look close you can see all the additions to the image - I never spent time on the views through the windows :)

Not critical of the work, but WHY put a boot (trunk!) on a 'vette ?
It's kinda proving the point I made early, the design is stuck in the 70s !!
Anyway it's been fun.
I think i'm going to start my own thread for modding vettes. For a closing remark on the "boxity" of the Corvettes rear end, it's not actually as boxy as you think, it's kind of a weird car for pictures because yiu think that the rear end is horridly mishapen when it really isn't.

Matra et Alpine
02-04-2004, 04:10 AM
yiu think that the rear end is horridly mishapen when it really isn't.

Are you sure you're not Chris Bangle ?
You sound just like him :)